• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Blitz |OT| Rocking Out in the Instrument-Free World

Mister Game

Project Director, Harmonix
I'm getting major skipping/freezing when playing this game. It's completely unplayable. I hope it's not my HDD that's about to die.

EDIT: Yeah... I think my HDD is dying. I can't even download the track pack. It just sits there at 33%.

I had that too the first time I played. Rebooted my Xbox and it worked fine, and one other person at HMX saw it. Not really sure what's up with that. Maybe all of our HDs are dying?

Mister Game

So if you try to launch a trial song, the game throws an error screen, then throws you back to the Title Screen.

And of course, there's no distinction between RBN Trial songs on the song selection screen.

Talk about odd oversight.

Yeah, sorry about that. It's on my short list of fixes if we ever patch.

Finally got it this morning. Great game so far, and I really enjoy the gameplay (never played Frequency or any of those games). I can't wait to play it more tonight (and try some of the actual Blitz soundtrack songs, those were still downloading).

Minamu

If? Don't you get one patch for free on XBLA?
Knowing MS, the initial song "dlc" pack probably count as patch 1.

Edit: Mister Game, you can probably skip the junior member period if you contact a site admin and confirm that you are a real dev. Usually comes with a nice tag too.

We actually tried that first. It works great for the electronica/pop heavy soundtrack of Amp and Freq, but for the larger and more diverse Rock Band catalog it was often very disconcerting (or even unpleasant) to listen to songs with no vocals or drums.

And when we decided to go with all tracks unlocked at once it made sense to play all the tracks. There IS a slider in the options that let's you boost the active track (actually attenuate the other tracks) to a greater degree, but they are never going to go away completely.

Understood this may not be your preference, but this is a different game. The plate-spinning of the earlier games is still there, it's just focused on points instead of track unlocks.

Still sad, miss the old games, but thanks for the answer. :)

aku:jiki

So how do you score decently in this game? I was an Amp/Freq fan and scoring felt easier there - finding the right path was easier once you "cleared" one and had a bit of an overview. Blitz is feeling a lot harder since the tracks never go away...

Does it boil down to memorizing every bit of every song so I know which path to use at all times?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Does it boil down to memorizing every bit of every song so I know which path to use at all times?

Sort of. The most important part is getting every instrument to max multiplier before a checkpoint. To do that in the most efficient, and thus highest-scoring, manner does require a bit of preemptive knowledge. But, I still gold-starred "Daisy" by Fang Island without actually remembering how that song goes. You don't need really detailed memorization, more like "oh, right, vocals are only here for a little bit, better get 'em now".

And of course power-ups help augment that for higher scores.

Mister Game

So how do you score decently in this game? I was an Amp/Freq fan and scoring felt easier there - finding the right path was easier once you "cleared" one and had a bit of an overview. Blitz is feeling a lot harder since the tracks never go away...

First, always try to get all your tracks fully charged before each checkpoint.

Next: streak. Streak, streak, streak. Almost always better to do that than go for power ups and overdrive.

Finally: use your overdrive powerups and note powerups to max your score.

So for someone who hasn't been on the Rock Band train since just before 2 came out...is Rock Band 3 considered like the central hub of all Rock Bandery? Like, everything can be imported into 3? The songs from 1, 2, Blitz, Beatles? So in a way this is a new way to play Rock Band like the PSP game (and Frequency and Amplitude), but also a track pack for RB3?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So for someone who hasn't been on the Rock Band train since just before 2 came out...is Rock Band 3 considered like the central hub of all Rock Bandery? Like, everything can be imported into 3? The songs from 1, 2, Blitz, Beatles? So in a way this is a new way to play Rock Band like the PSP game (and Frequency and Amplitude), but also a track pack for RB3?

Everything but Beatles, yea. RB3 is the hub, Blitz is an offshoot/alternate mode.

As a huge fan of Amplitude this game does nothing for me. I really was not impressed by the city backgrounds and did not really feel like I was 'building a song' section by section, more like I was just tapping buttons to music some parts of which were louder than others. Really disappointing. Oh well.

As a huge fan of Amplitude this game does nothing for me. I really was not impressed by the city backgrounds and did not really feel like I was 'building a song' section by section, more like I was just tapping buttons to music some parts of which were louder than others. Really disappointing. Oh well.

I've never played Amplitude or Frequency, but it's not like there is anything with this game that makes you believe that you're supposed to build a song section by section. It's all about combos, blitz and powerups.

Georgious

Banned

I am a HUGE fan of Frequency/Amplitude, and at first I thought the same as you did. Once I redid the tutorial and realized how clever the game can be with the multiplier juggling and the checkpoints, I instantly fell in love. It took about 5-6 songs for me to realize I was playing it incorrectly. Once you throw out the Amplitude model of play, the game makes MUCH more sense.

I've never played Amplitude or Frequency, but it's not like there is anything with this game that makes you believe that you're supposed to build a song section by section. It's all about combos, blitz and powerups.
Well that may be but I have no interest in that stuff.

I am a HUGE fan of Frequency/Amplitude, and at first I thought the same as you did. Once I redid the tutorial and realized how clever the game can be with the multiplier juggling and the checkpoints, I instantly fell in love. It took about 5-6 songs for me to realize I was playing it incorrectly. Once you throw out the Amplitude model of play, the game makes MUCH more sense.
All I wanted was another Amplitude. =(

Oh well, maybe in like 10 years they'll make another game like it.

Minamu

Store updated seven minutes ago, downloading everything now :D Cheaper than expected too, nice. Time for an Iron Maiden marathon :)

Georgious

Banned
Well that may be but I have no interest in that stuff.

All I wanted was another Amplitude. =(

Oh well, maybe in like 10 years they'll make another game like it.

If you give RBB more time, you'll see that the frenetic nature of Amplitude - especially once you get the powerups - is very nicely implemented.

As a big RB and Freq/Amp fan, this game does absolutely nothing for me. Nothing at all. Two gem note tracks, yawn. The inability to fail, blehh. Thank god for game demos. If Harmonix ever goes back to the winning formula of Amplitude, I'll be back. I don't dislike them, but I do dislike this game very much.

Roto13

I'm going to play around with the Facebook stuff and see if it works ok, but as it stands now, I'm not making enough coins to cover the cost of power ups. I'm totally ok with power ups having a major effect on your score, but I am totally not ok with not being able to use the same set of power ups every time with no consequences.

I want to be able to just play the songs I want to play, however I want to play them, and always have the potential to set a high score. This is how score attack games should work.

I'm going to play around with the Facebook stuff and see if it works ok, but as it stands now, I'm not making enough coins to cover the cost of power ups. I'm totally ok with power ups having a major effect on your score, but I am totally not ok with not being able to use the same set of power ups every time with no consequences.

I want to be able to just play the songs I want to play, however I want to play them, and always have the potential to set a high score. This is how score attack games should work.
i agree . The cost of the powerups is way too high.
Given that there is no fail possible i dont understand what is harmonix goal at all..especially if they state that they dont plan to sell more coins

SuperPac

I guess I haven't played enough of the game yet but what is playing songs in Blitz the only way to earn coins or are there other ways too - like winning score wars, playing songs in RB3, passing rivals on leaderboards, challenging friends to a battle, etc.? If coins is being used in this game to encourage you to do something other than just play the same songs over and over again then maybe you're not taking advantage of some of those?

I've only played a very little bit but one of the first things they tell you is that you earn double coins for playing songs you haven't played yet. I'd be surprised if they weren't using coins as a carrot-on-a-stick for other things too. But maybe I'm wrong?

Roto13

I guess I haven't played enough of the game yet but what is playing songs in Blitz the only way to earn coins or are there other ways too - like winning score wars, playing songs in RB3, passing rivals on leaderboards, challenging friends to a battle, etc.? If coins is being used in this game to encourage you to do something other than just play the same songs over and over again then maybe you're not taking advantage of some of those?

I've only played a very little bit but one of the first things they tell you is that you earn double coins for playing songs you haven't played yet. I'd be surprised if they weren't using coins as a carrot-on-a-stick for other things too. But maybe I'm wrong?

You can earn coins by doing all kinds of things. But I don't think I should have to do all kinds of things to essentially earn a shot at a high score.

Game is fucking awesome, already played through all the RBB songs. Trying to get 5 stars on stuff is actually pretty challenging, even with power-ups on. Trying to optimize loadouts per song is gonna be a pretty big part of the game, and some of the actual charts are decently hard. I just linked to Facebook, but I will say that so far even without the FB app I have plenty of coins. If you have even a decently sized collection of RB DLC you shouldn't run into coin issues for a while.

SuperPac

You can earn coins by doing all kinds of things. But I don't think I should have to do all kinds of things to essentially earn a shot at a high score.

But that's the deal - they're incentivizing you to do all kinds of things, explore all the facets of the game (and maybe to discover you LIKE some of those things) with coin rewards. Like, "stop playing the same 5 songs" (so we'll give you double-coins when you play a song you haven't yet). I'm sure there are other examples.

If you don't want to do that then you're lightly penalized by not always being able to afford boosts as readily.

Roto13

But that's the deal - they're incentivizing you to do all kinds of things, explore all the facets of the game (and maybe to discover you LIKE some of those things) with coin rewards. Like, "stop playing the same 5 songs" (so we'll give you double-coins when you play a song you haven't yet). I'm sure there are other examples.

If you don't want to do that then you're lightly penalized by not always being able to afford boosts as readily.

I know why they do it. It's dumb, though. It's a score attack game. Stop getting in the way of my score attacks. Don't make me have to do anything special to keep my scores competitive. It makes it feel like a Facebook game.

The whole point of the game is to play the same song over and over to get better scores.

UraMallas

I was unaware that the songs were exportable to RB3 until the OP. It's almost like you'd have to be a fucking idiot not to buy this if you still play RB.

btkadams

i played some of this last night. i was having fun with it, but holy hell it is so inferior to amplitude.

i thought this was supposed to be the spritual sequel? the gameplay is not as deep or fun like amplitude. you could basically make your own remixes in the main single player of amplitude by playing certain tracks and ignoring others haha. you wouldn't score as high, but on repeat plays, it was really rad to hear the first half of a chorus with just vocals or something like that. also, you literally could make your own remixes of songs in the remix mode..lol. the music is also dreadfully narrow. i know that it has rock band in the title, so i shouldn't expect other genres outside of the rock band walls, but it's definitely another huge hit in comparison to amplitude.

i'm sure i am in the minority, but i have been dying for a true amplitude sequel for ages and this just doesn't cut it for me. anyone who calls it that is insane.

it's still a fun little game though, so i can't shit on it for that.

catabarez

Figure this is a good place to ask since we have some Harmonix folk here. Is there any chance at all that the Beatles songs will become exportable in the future?

FyreWulff

Figure this is a good place to ask since we have some Harmonix folk here. Is there any chance at all that the Beatles songs will become exportable in the future?

You're going to get the same usual answer - "Never say never, but don't sit around waiting for it". It's an absurdly expensive and delicate license.

I played the demo. It's pretty fun as expected, but feels somehow... dry? Missing the feedback of "playing" the song definitely takes something off. I might still get it depending on how this coin stuff plays out for non-FB-users. I can deal without the challenges and score wars, but the powerups are way too crucial for high scores to not have them available all the time. Again, silly.

JebusF

Neo Member
I love this game. Haven't played a Rock Band title in too damn long, and this has me smiling and ready to get sore thumbs, happily.

Kinda brave to spend time developing a music game again, but I think it's paid off - really digging this.

aku:jiki

How are you guys even connecting your FB's? I log into the app and when it says "We found one gamertag: (my gamertag)" and I click on my gamertag, it just says "Uh oh! There's a problem loading that page: /users/confirm/788" every time. :(

I played the demo. It's pretty fun as expected, but feels somehow... dry? Missing the feedback of "playing" the song definitely takes something off. I might still get it depending on how this coin stuff plays out for non-FB-users. I can deal without the challenges and score wars, but the powerups are way too crucial for high scores to not have them available all the time. Again, silly.
Agreed. I don't understand the point of the coins at all...

JebusF

Neo Member
How are you guys even connecting your FB's? I log into the app and when it says "We found one gamertag: (my gamertag)" and I click on my gamertag, it just says "Uh oh! There's a problem loading that page: /users/confirm/788" every time.

Have you put the authorisation code in? You get that from inside the actual game.

vg260

I feel the same way about this. I have plenty of other DLC to grind for coins, but don't like the idea of "wearing out' my favorite songs.

Natiko

Banned
I already regret buying this. I can't get the facebook app to work. I put in my gamertag and it refuses to do anything.

Remy

How are you guys even connecting your FB's? I log into the app and when it says "We found one gamertag: (my gamertag)" and I click on my gamertag, it just says "Uh oh! There's a problem loading that page: /users/confirm/788" every time. :(

Agreed. I don't understand the point of the coins at all...

I had that issue last night, but after about 30 minutes the "VERIFY" link on my profile changed to "UNLINK" (meaning I was set) and I didn't have to do anything. Maybe there's a delay?

MrDaravon

I know why they do it. It's dumb, though. It's a score attack game. Stop getting in the way of my score attacks. Don't make me have to do anything special to keep my scores competitive. It makes it feel like a Facebook game.

This pretty much for me. This is why I'm not buying, I liked the demo but all the stuff on the periphery is bullshit to me.

Top Bottom