• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Blitz |OT| Rocking Out in the Instrument-Free World

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Oow snap!

I accidently bought Rock Band Blitz on the US Store but all the songs I've downloaded come from the EU Store....

Gaf am I in trouble and have to dubble dip the EU version?

EDIT: when I play this game with my EU profile it says Music Store unavailable when I select download content...

Common sense probably says yes

Holy Wars

Banned
You would care if other stuff like background vocals, backing guitars, random percussion parts and whatnot also cut out if you missed a note on keys.

Just don't have to have anything cut out. Who cares? Unless you're awful, 95% of the time the song is just playing normally anyway.

steveovig

Someone please help me understand this game, when the arrows pop up on the track, is that when I'm supposed to switch to another instrument?

Someone please help me understand this game, when the arrows pop up on the track, is that when I'm supposed to switch to another instrument?

I would recommend changing tracks as often as you can catch purple and white notes all while keeping an eye on your multiplier levels per instrument per song section all while trying to stay in blitz mode as long as you can.

tumblr_lqpk02xqxx1qdd039.gif

steveovig

I would recommend changing tracks as often as you can catch purple and white notes all while keeping an eye on your multiplier levels per instrument per song section all while trying to stay in blitz mode as long as you can.

tumblr_lqpk02xqxx1qdd039.gif

Wow, I'm totally not sure on whether or not to buy this game. Why can't it just be exactly like Unplugged?

Wow, I'm totally not sure on whether or not to buy this game. Why can't it just be exactly like Unplugged?

Something about "they wanted to make a different game". It might not be for everyone, but I have 122,780,000 points on the xbox live leader-boards, so needless to say, I love this game!!!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

You switch tracks to maximize the point value, keeping consideration the powerups you've chosen and the notes that will activate those powerups. Also keeping up the multiplier for each instrument throughout the song, then simply playing instruments with the most notes for maximum points

AlexBasch

Yeah, we haven't even launched the game yet. So far everyone who has even a moderate sized library is rolling in coins.
I think this is why I'm not having any trouble with coins at the moment.

How stupid are Harmonix. Initial 300 megabyte download then you have to boot the game and download the Rock Band Blitz soundpack for another 700 megabytes. Why wasn't it just one big download?
Because core RB games wouldn't be able to read the DLC inside a game? It didn't bother me, I just played, kept the thing downloading and after a few songs it was ready.

You switch tracks to maximize the point value, keeping consideration the powerups you've chosen and the notes that will activate those powerups. Also keeping up the multiplier for each instrument throughout the song, then simply playing instruments with the most notes for maximum points
Like I said, using the Drumx2+Bandmate in Everlong/Run To The Hills racks up a shitload of points.

It's good that many people aren't having money trouble, but that's not really the issue. All this currency system does is hurt some peoples experience with the game. It doesn't add anything to anyone, it just takes away from some. If that's not enough reason for it to go, then I don't know what else to say. For those of you not having money problems, it wouldn't affect you if the whole currency system disappeared, so why not remove it if it helps others?

The Facebook app in and of itself doesn't even sound like that big a deal, it's the currency part of it that's the problem. Someone in another thread mentioned using it as a friend's list extension. Perhaps an uncommon issue, but perfectly valid. Without the currency stuff, it's harmless to those who don't want to use it.

The reason people aren't having money trouble yet is because of that totally pointless first three hours in which you haven't unlocked all the power-ups, so aren't able to spend all your coins.

As soon as people play it a bit more the economy will fuck them.

It's barely like them. Sadly.

Argh....yeah, watched some videos. What I loved about the previous games is that you had to play all the tracks yourselves otherwise it would be silence. So you could start with the bass, then the vocals, the first drums, then the guitar, etc. It would just stack up. Now it sounds like they just lower the volume a little. There's no progression. :(

Argh....yeah, watched some videos. What I loved about the previous games is that you had to play all the tracks yourselves otherwise it would be silence. So you could start with the bass, then the vocals, the first drums, then the guitar, etc. It would just stack up. Now it sounds like they just lower the volume a little. There's no progression. :(

It's similar in look, but nothing like it in execution, sadly.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I would like to know who in Harmonix thought it was a good idea to make the Blitz songs a separate download on PS3. I figured the "Blitz pack" download was for the songs to work on RB3 (export), not for it to work on Blitz. I was wondering where the hell the Blitz songs were until I read that you have to download the pack to play the Blitz songs in Blitz. Seriously, wtf.

:|

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I would like to know who in Harmonix thought it was a good idea to make the Blitz songs a separate download on PS3. I figured the "Blitz pack" download was for the songs to work on RB3 (export), not for it to work on Blitz. I was wondering where the hell the Blitz songs were until I read that you have to download the pack to play the Blitz songs in Blitz. Seriously, wtf.

I don't see the issue? The songs are playable in Rock Band 3. What if people just want the songs only?

I mean duh, of course you have to download the Blitz songs to play in Blitz. It's not gonna magically stream into your game

(at least on X360, the download prompt pops up automatically when you play, I guess it's different on PS3)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I don't see the issue? The songs are playable in Rock Band 3. What if people just want the songs only?
I know they're playable in Rock Band 3. That's what I figured the Blitz pack download was. I didn't know that you had to download the pack to play those songs within Blitz. If you don't download that pack, you'll only have like 3 demo songs in Blitz to play. For some reason the download prompt didn't boot up the first time I booted the game. It was until the second time that I received the prompt to download. Must have been a bug or something.

Now that you're talking about other ways to award coins to those gamers who don't want to use Facebook and are satisfied with their current library, I'm cynically imagining plans for things like "440 MSP = 5000 coins" or "give our partners your PII = 3000 coins" or "sign up for two months of DTV = 10,000 coins."

All this currency system does is hurt some peoples experience with the game. It doesn't add anything to anyone, it just takes away from some.

Quoted for emphasis. I still haven't heard any feasible reason for this "economy" other than potential IAPs or other marketing. It doesn't add anything to the game; on the contrary, it's acting against the player. The game looks fun to me and as an old Freq and Amp fan I'd really like to throw some more money in Harmonix's direction, but these kinds of systems are a gigantic blood-pressure-raising red flag for me personally.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Really dumb question, but where do you go to download this on Xbox 360? When I go to the Rock Band Blitz page, all I can do is rate the game.

Addnan

Downloaded it, been on the discovering DLC for about 5mins (half way done). I hope this is just for first time start!

elektrixx

Banned
All my gaming hardware has changed since Rock Band 3 and my calibration stuff is way different. 90 for audio and 60 for video? That sounds like heaps.

I don't trust my own calibrations.

I'm getting major skipping/freezing when playing this game. It's completely unplayable. I hope it's not my HDD that's about to die.

EDIT: Yeah... I think my HDD is dying. I can't even download the track pack. It just sits there at 33%.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
All my gaming hardware has changed since Rock Band 3 and all my calibration stuff is all different. 90 for audio and 60 for video? That sounds like heaps.

I don't trust my own calibrations.

I had 35/70, which seemed totally wrong, but it worked so...

Also, disco beats = death. Just, death.

(at least on X360, the download prompt pops up automatically when you play, I guess it's different on PS3)

Big precision : The download prompt when you start the game on PS3 too .

-------
Anyway i'm extremly disapointed by the coins you have to spent to use power-ups..
i fear what happens when i'll run out of coins ? Buy more on the store ? Nice try ! but seeing as i have 200+ songs already i don't think i'll want to spent my money for things like this...

360/PS3? Any issues with other games? Have you restarted the system since the problems arose?

360. I'm in the dashboard beta, so perhaps it's just a glitch. I restarted the console and now the track pack is downloading just fine. I'm still going to do a backup of all my saves just in case.

elektrixx

Banned
I keep all my DLC on a USB drive. I have a bit over 200 songs and all the major export tracks. The DLC search went around three minutes.

So if you try to launch a trial song, the game throws an error screen, then throws you back to the Title Screen.

And of course, there's no distinction between RBN Trial songs on the song selection screen.

Talk about odd oversight.

Mister Game

Project Director, Harmonix
Earlier (Page 3) I let my bitterness about where gaming has gone shine by asking whether the artificial scarcity of this game's arbitrary currency suggested that they were tip-toeing into currency microtransactions and horrible social spam advertising. That was before I read here that the game was intentionally unbalanced to herd people toward DLC purchases or the Facebook app. While I think that move is generally counter to gamers' interests, I realize I'm in an increasingly narrow group of people who give a shit about that at all, so I was prepared to bow my head and buy the game anyway because I'd love to add another set of quality songs to my ridiculous RB DLC library.

Now that you're talking about other ways to award coins to those gamers who don't want to use Facebook and are satisfied with their current library, I'm cynically imagining plans for things like "440 MSP = 5000 coins" or "give our partners your PII = 3000 coins" or "sign up for two months of DTV = 10,000 coins."

It's unreasonable to expect anyone involved in the game to mention anything about Harmonix's future plans for Rock Band Blitz's inexplicable economy, but I sure would feel a lot less shitty about continuing to support HMX via my DLC habit and games like this if I knew you all weren't intentionally unbalancing your game in order to nag your players into buying currency or other entirely disreputable things.

Yes, these are things that I drop all company support over. Yes, I know, I'm weird.

We have no plans to ever sell coins for real money.

U2NUMB

360. I'm in the dashboard beta, so perhaps it's just a glitch. I restarted the console and now the track pack is downloading just fine. I'm still going to do a backup of all my saves just in case.

I am in the dashboard beta and played a couple songs this morning with no issues.

Mister Game

We actually tried that first. It works great for the electronica/pop heavy soundtrack of Amp and Freq, but for the larger and more diverse Rock Band catalog it was often very disconcerting (or even unpleasant) to listen to songs with no vocals or drums.

And when we decided to go with all tracks unlocked at once it made sense to play all the tracks. There IS a slider in the options that let's you boost the active track (actually attenuate the other tracks) to a greater degree, but they are never going to go away completely.

Understood this may not be your preference, but this is a different game. The plate-spinning of the earlier games is still there, it's just focused on points instead of track unlocks.

Mister Game

This has been asked a bunch of times, so let me explain.

We wanted to have all the Blitz songs instantly playable in RB3. The best and easiest way to do that, without having two copies of each song sitting on your hard drive, was to have a separate download of the Soundtrack. This is actually a pack of 25 Rock Band 3 format DLC songs which RB3 can read and play instantly.

So you still have 3 songs duplicated (the 3 trial songs are included in both the trial/core game download and the pack), but that seemed like the least evil thing to do.

Because, you know, we're really stupid and we never ever think things through, or do things that make sense HUR DUR DHUR...

Minamu

I'm assuming you're referring to the PS3 version. If I remember correctly, the store should be updated in 35 mins.
Oh I see, yeah got a link to the eu blog with the game on it. Played the US demo for a bit just now and it seems alright :) Kinda impossible to get 5* but I suppose that comes with practice.

Top Bottom