• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Blitz |OT| Rocking Out in the Instrument-Free World

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't live in the US, and all my friends are not Console people (and those who are, most a Playstation People). I'm a 360 guy, so I bought this on the 360, but neither my friendlist nor my Facebook Friendlist has 360 players in it.

Is there a facebook GAF group (does facebook even has a thing like this?) for RockBand Blitz players that I can pull scores from?

Or something like that?

Downloading to my 360 as we speak. looking forward to having a blast.

Is there any downside to just signing up to all the goals posted on Rock Band World and seeing what happens?

Mister Game

Project Director, Harmonix
I already regret buying this. I can't get the facebook app to work. I put in my gamertag and it refuses to do anything.

If you guys are having issues linking your accounts, please let us know via our support link.

http://www.rockband.com/support

It's Day 1, there's bound to be issues. Fortunately it seems to be working for some people, but there might be something wacky about your accounts that's gumming up the works. Like, did you guys link to rockband.com already? Or RB3?

waypoetic

Banned
I bought the game (cheap!) but there's only four songs available. That sucks. I bought (of course) the Incubus-trackpack and i think the game is fun fun fun.

Mister Game

I can tell you that the FB app is completely non-fuctional on Safari(on a Mac), but works on Firefox and Chrome.

As already noted, if you allow third party cookies it works fine.

We'll look into why that is, but honestly it's pretty low priority on launch day :)

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I bought the game (cheap!) but there's only four songs available. That sucks. I bought (of course) the Incubus-trackpack and i think the game is fun fun fun.

Did you download the soundtrack file? That contains all the Blitz songs (and is classed as DLC so you get the RB3 export automatically).

Mister Game

You need to download the Soundtrack, which contains the rest of the songs. Reboot the game and hang out on the main menu screen, you should get a prompt to download it.

Make sure you are playing on the same profile that bought the game.

If anyone is having trouble linking through the Facebook app, try switching browser. I couldn't get it to work in Safari on my Mac or iPad, but it was fine in Chrome.

Question, I own over 500 songs on RB but dont have them downloaded on the current HDD that I am on, anyway I can see what songs I owned so I can download them? Right now im just going through my download history and it's taking me forever to find all the RB stuff.

waypoetic

Banned
You need to download the Soundtrack, which contains the rest of the songs. Reboot the game and hang out on the main menu screen, you should get a prompt to download it.

Make sure you are playing on the same profile that bought the game.

How many extra songs is it?

Scapegoat

I've been enjoying the game a bunch (reliving my RB library is like taking a trip back in time) - but does anyone else lament the big step backwards they took with the song selection screen? Was I expecting too much to think it would be just as good or even better then the selection in RB3?

I just feel like the game suits the 'boot up to play a couple of songs' yet I can't filter my songs in any way. Why can't I see just short and medium length songs? Why can't I rate my songs anymore? Why can't I, at least, hide songs I don't like? Why must I have Visions in my library again?

How many extra songs is it?
The game comes with (though you have to download it when you first start it up) 25 songs.

Mister Game

Question, I own over 500 songs on RB but dont have them downloaded on the current HDD that I am on, anyway I can see what songs I owned so I can download them? Right now im just going through my download history and it's taking me forever to find all the RB stuff.

360? I actually did that today and I found that it was somewhat quicker to view my Download history and queue them on marketplace.xbox.com

As already noted, if you allow third party cookies it works fine.

We'll look into why that is, but honestly it's pretty low priority on launch day :)
Understood, I just found it weird it just kept on bouncing back to the same screen (and not even ask for me to allow third party exceptions)

There is a funk track included with rock band blitz.
Huh. I hit sort and it didn't show. Will try later tonight.

Mister Game

Understood, I just found it weird it just kept on bouncing back to the same screen (and not even ask for me to allow third party exceptions)

Huh. I hit sort and it didn't show. Will try later tonight.

In RB3 and later they sort as "R&B/Funk/Soul"

aku:jiki

The game hasn't forced me to connect to Facebook as of yet. What's the dilly yo?
It doesn't. It's just an optional thing so you can earn more coins by taking on challenges on FB.

Mine's working btw, the error message is still popping up but if I go to "my profile," it recognizes my gamertag properly. Does that mean I got a coin boost in the game now?

Mister Game, a question regarding the development: Were the Rock Band Blitz soundtrack songs "charted" in Blitz, and then ported to Rock Band 3? I ask because I know there was an algorithm that made all of the previous songs playable in Blitz, so I'm wondering if Blitz songs were hand-made for Blitz, or simply done like normal RB3 DLC, and then ported using the algorithm.

Roto13

How are you guys even connecting your FB's? I log into the app and when it says "We found one gamertag: (my gamertag)" and I click on my gamertag, it just says "Uh oh! There's a problem loading that page: /users/confirm/788" every time. :(

Yeah, it did that to me too but apparently it linked anyway. Refresh the app and see if your tag is linked.

STG

bought this today and ~5 older RB songs, really enjoying this

I even created a facebook page just for this (no idea why)

Roto13

I keep running into a bug where the image stops moving and it totally screws me up. I have to pause and unpause to fix it.

Alright, having played the game some now I feel I can weigh in on it (I have a few #1 records, and a few other really high score with gold stars).

Game is fun. Definitely not at the level of Amp/Freq, but that's because the focus has definitely shifted to high scores, not progression and completion.

There are some serious long-term problems though. For some reason it's a high score game that discourages retries for high scores. This gets a big WTF from me. Instead you're encouraged to drift from song to song, either for bonus coins or facebook goals. If you keep trying for high scores on one song you're just going to bleed coins.

Easy fix: 5 starring a song should give you enough coins to break even. Harmonix, let me play your game without grinding songs I'm not interested in.

The other, less serious problem, is the how useless the other power-ups are. If you aren't rolling with Jackpot, Flame, and the right instrument boost, you might as well not play. Jackpot at least keeps things fun and tense, and is the closest thing in the game to that oldschool Frequency rush.

Edit: An alternative fix - don't make restarts eat your coins

Mister Game

Mister Game, a question regarding the development: Were the Rock Band Blitz soundtrack songs "charted" in Blitz, and then ported to Rock Band 3? I ask because I know there was an algorithm that made all of the previous songs playable in Blitz, so I'm wondering if Blitz songs were hand-made for Blitz, or simply done like normal RB3 DLC, and then ported using the algorithm.

Nope, normal RB3 DLC, and we let the algorithm take care of the conversion.

I said fuck it and bought it. I'm not a fan of many of the design decisions, especially around the coins/powerups, but I've been supporting Harmonix since they made us all Freqs, so I'll support them again. About to try some ACDC. Something tells me it's going to be hard.

I've gold starred just about every acdc song on the first try so far! The only thing keeping me from playing right now is lack of power from hurricane Isaac.

I'm on the fence about buying the game. I'll get it, sooner or later, only for the songs, but after playing the demo, I fear that the lack of progression and being pure score attack will make me bored very easy.

I loved the tours, getting more money and buying new clothes, visiting new cities and locals... there isn't any of this in the full game?

FinFan

I'd like to play Blitz on more than one machine in my home. When you transfer songs, are they only good on the hard drive you rip them to? Could I copy or rip to a usb and use them on multiple 360s?

FyreWulff

I'd like to play Blitz on more than one machine in my home. When you transfer songs, are they only good on the hard drive you rip them to? Could I copy or rip to a usb and use them on multiple 360s?

DLC songs, RB2 export, Lego Export, GD Export: they'll work as long as the gamertag that bought them is signed in.

RB1 export: You can export to each Xbox you own without paying again, but they'll only work when the gamertag that bought the license is signed in, as RB2 and RB3 will not load RB1's tracks (I assume Blitz checks for it too) without the RB1 license file present & decryptable.

I am unaware of how the file licensing system works on PS3, so I won't say anything there.

My left finger hurts :/ Wish there was a config where the face buttons switch tracks, but doesnt require the d-pad for anything. Only took one song with the default config to remind me how unresponsive the 360's d-pad is, so using Shoulders config for now.

Have you just tried pressing the Dpad like a button, with your thumb in the middle? There's actually games before Blitz that intend for you to use the dpad like that. You don't have to hit a specific direction.

Uncle AJ

My left finger hurts :/ Wish there was a config where the face buttons switch tracks, but doesnt require the d-pad for anything. Only took one song with the default config to remind me how unresponsive the 360's d-pad is, so using Shoulders config for now.

Natiko

Banned
If you guys are having issues linking your accounts, please let us know via our support link.

http://www.rockband.com/support

It's Day 1, there's bound to be issues. Fortunately it seems to be working for some people, but there might be something wacky about your accounts that's gumming up the works. Like, did you guys link to rockband.com already? Or RB3?

Sorry, just now got around to checking the thread again. I managed to get it to work in Internet Explorer (completely broken in Chrome for me though).

Played through all of the songs that are included and had a good time. Some of the songs were stinkers but that's to be expected, the mechanics are pretty interesting. Still working on unlocking the rest of the power ups and saving up my coins until then.

Mister Game

Sorry, just now got around to checking the thread again. I managed to get it to work in Internet Explorer (completely broken in Chrome for me though).

Played through all of the songs that are included and had a good time. Some of the songs were stinkers but that's to be expected, the mechanics are pretty interesting. Still working on unlocking the rest of the power ups and saving up my coins until then.

Trying clearing your browser cache.

jgkspsx

I like it so far.

Plus, I only paid $5 for it after subtracting the songs I would have paid $2 each for. Then there's twenty extra songs free. Pretty damn good deal.

JimFear

Banned
this game is awesome ... but if you dont have a lot of dlc, imo... It doesnt worth 15$ cause the tracklisting of blitz is the worst of all rockband game.

Just downloaded this and can't wait to play it. This Discovering Downloaded Content screen is taking forever though. Around 10 minutes now and it's only halfway done. Hopefully it's a lot quicker than this after the first time you start the game.

is there an option to cross over all the tracks ?

For example if you're on the far left to arrive on the far right ?

it sucks that you have to cross over

JimFear

Banned
Which browser do you use with the rb app?
Im using Chrome but i cant start any Rb score war. On the hmx forum Mister Game just told me it may be related to a browser issue related to the java.

jgkspsx

I've spent at least 3X more on Rock Band DLC than on retail games for 360, so I have lots and lots of material to go through.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Which browser do you use with the rb app?
Im using Chrome but i cant start any Rb score war. On the hmx forum Mister Game just told me it may be related to a browser issue related to the java.

I'm using Chrome and I was able to start a war no problem.... *shrug*

AlexBasch

I've spent at least 3X more on Rock Band DLC than on retail games for 360, so I have lots and lots of material to go through.
Same, Rock Band is the only thing that has kept me tied to the Xbox because of how much DLC I have bought for it, otherwise I would have sold it long ago.

And if even if you don't have any RB DLC to play with the game, well, what better time than now to spend gargantuan amounts of money on digital content.

FyreWulff

Same, Rock Band is the only thing that has kept me tied to the Xbox because of how much DLC I have bought for it, otherwise I would have sold it long ago.

And if even if you don't have any RB DLC to play with the game, well, what better time than now to spend gargantuan amounts of money on digital content.

I have so much that I'm essentially planning on making my Xbox the Rock Band Box and making the Wii U my main console, because there's no way I can rebuild my library on another console at this point.

They have to do something about the coins. The game is borderline broken when I can't simply try to perfect one or two songs. Why the hell would you make a game that's score-centric yet force people to play songs knowing they have ZERO chance of getting a high score simply to accumulate more coins? That's mind-numbingly idiotic. Let us simply enjoy the songs and the game!

/rant

Edit: That was probably too harsh. I shouldn't post right after a game gets me mad. I simply wanted to go for a high score, but the game's inherent design flaws stop me from being able to do so.

jgkspsx

I have so much that I'm essentially planning on making my Xbox the Rock Band Box and making the Wii U my main console, because there's no way I can rebuild my library on another console at this point.

I deserted about 100? 150? 200? songs on the Wii. I feel really stupid about buying them there to start with, but glad I escaped in 2009.

They have to do something about the coins. The game is borderline broken when I can't simply try to perfect one or two songs. Why the hell would you make a game that's score-centric yet force people to play songs knowing they have ZERO chance of getting a high score simply to accumulate more coins? That's mind-numbingly idiotic. Let us simply enjoy the songs and the game!

I have to agree with you. It seems incredibly dumb to penalize people for experimenting with the powerups. There should be a coin-free practice mode at least.

Top Bottom