• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Blitz |OT| Rocking Out in the Instrument-Free World

FyreWulff

I deserted about 100? 150? 200? songs on the Wii. I feel really stupid about buying them there to start with, but glad I escaped in 2009.

I could see pulling it off if I was at ~100, but yeah:

VpKzY.png

Also, the fact that Xbox gets all RBN content.

Had a worrying issue this afternoon. Upon finishing up a song when it came time to tally the score I was booted to the main menu with an error. It informed me I would not recieve any coins because the game could not connect to Rock Band Central. Went back to the song list and was booted out to the main menu again due to being unable to connect to Rock Band Central. This happened once more before seemingly fixing itself with no further errors. Checking the song I played revealed that not only did I not get any coins, it was as though I never played the song. Would've been worse had I gotten a high score. Still it makes you wonder if the game will be playable should something happen to whatever Rock Band Central is and by that extension is it playable offline?

As for the coin situation, I am not a fan to put it lightly. I'd prefer no coins at all but a comprise I'd take is having it so you only need to buy power ups on a per song basis. For example, once you buy pinball for song x you can always use it with that song. The current setup really hurts its score attack potential.

After playing for the better part of the day, I've decided that this is a complete social game that was probably conceived when Zynga was still cool.

Oh yeah, and coins? Sucky idea. I have to go back and play other songs to earn coins to go for a high score on another song? Uh, yeah, no thanks.

Daigoro

Question, I own over 500 songs on RB but dont have them downloaded on the current HDD that I am on, anyway I can see what songs I owned so I can download them? Right now im just going through my download history and it's taking me forever to find all the RB stuff.

no way to sort by DLC purchased. yes it sucks. ive always been annoyed by this.

the RB Music store should've fixed this.

I even created a facebook page just for this (no idea why)

all part of the master plan.

I said fuck it and bought it. I'm not a fan of many of the design decisions, especially around the coins/powerups, but I've been supporting Harmonix since they made us all Freqs, so I'll support them again.

hm

Had a worrying issue this afternoon. Upon finishing up a song when it came time to tally the score I was booted to the main menu with an error. It informed me I would not recieve any coins because the game could not connect to Rock Band Central. Went back to the song list and was booted out to the main menu again due to being unable to connect to Rock Band Central. This happened once more before seemingly fixing itself with no further errors. Checking the song I played revealed that not only did I not get any coins, it was as though I never played the song. Would've been worse had I gotten a high score. Still it makes you wonder if the game will be playable should something happen to whatever Rock Band Central is and by that extension is it playable offline?

As for the coin situation, I am not a fan to put it lightly. I'd prefer no coins at all but a comprise I'd take is having it so you only need to buy power ups on a per song basis. For example, once you buy pinball for song x you can always use it with that song. The current setup really hurts its score attack potential.

You can play offline, but you won't be able to use powerups or get any coins.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The coin thing really lowers down the value of this game for me.

I knew it. I'll play it for like this week and just go back to Rock Band 3 afterwards and never touch it again. To be honest, i had more fun with Rock Band Unplugged and the iPhone game.

Daigoro

No mystery about it. Even if I can't get into the game, I still got a bunch of tracks for RB3 for 15 bucks. Unlike many people apparently, I do like a lot of the included songs.

yeah. that part makes sense at least. i have no problem with that. it was just the part i quoted that didnt sit right with me.

BigDug13

The coin thing really lowers down the value of this game for me.

I knew it. I'll play it for like this week and just go back to Rock Band 3 afterwards and never touch it again. To be honest, i had more fun with Rock Band Unplugged and the iPhone game.

Was still worth the $15 to have 25 more songs in your Rock Band 3 though, right?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Was still worth the $15 to have 25 more songs in your Rock Band 3 though, right?
Definitely.

I've always said it right from when it was announced. I was happy it exports to my RB3 library. Can't wait to play some of the Blitz songs in RB 3 later on today!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Supporting developers irks you? Go find a new hobby.
:lol

Please.

I'm all for support, but if they make a product that doesn't interest/appeal to me, I'm not going to buy it just because X developer is my favorite. Anyway, let's not derail the thread further.

jgkspsx

So any hints on what songs are included in Parenthetically Speaking? Especially about the 2009 DLC songs.

Also, accepting spoilers on the Livestream games. I don't have time to watch livestreams to unlock stuff :|

SuperPac

So you can't Score War cross-platform? I'm on the 360 and I have a FB friend that's playing on PS3 but he's not in the list of users I can war with.

Also, am I missing it or can you not start a Score War with someone on your XBL friend list - they have to be your friend on FB (or a random user)?

I'm a little surprised the Goals are also FB-only. I guess if you don't connect your account you really just have to earn coins by playing songs you've never played before? Hrmn.

C4Lukins

So any hints on what songs are included in Parenthetically Speaking? Especially about the 2009 DLC songs.

Also, accepting spoilers on the Livestream games. I don't have time to watch livestreams to unlock stuff :|

Those annoying songs with a title and then a different or more descriptive title in parenthesis I assume. Such as I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That). I cannot recall off the top of my head particular Rock Band songs that do this. Three of them are in the OP though and come with Blitz.

Two of the songs I didn't own, so I didn't bother with Parenthetically Speaking. I did however buy a Johnny Cash song today for the "play a song from every decade" achievement, which is fine because I love Johnny Cash.

Hurricane knocked out my power halfway through the song though. Still sitting in the dark.

jgkspsx

I'm assuming they're referring to songs with parentheses in the title.

But not just any songs with parentheses in the title count. It's a "scavenger hunt." There's two specific DLC tracks that are required.

EDIT: Hmm, late 2009. "(You Can Still) Rock in America" and "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To"? Looks like I'm not going to be finishing this goal.

For achievement whores, if you want an easy song to 5 Gold Star on as well as do the 20 second pinball achievement, download the free Steven Colbert song called Charlene. By keeping the pinball in play and not attempting to hit notes, you'll 5 Gold star the song.

jgkspsx

The pinball achievement was surprisingly easy. Did it on "Simple Man" while beating off a score challenger who isn't even an XBL friend. You can just challenge random people and take their coins? That seems unfair.

Also, "Steve Carrell"... not sure if troll.

Holy Wars

Banned
Why is there a coin system why is there a coin system why is there a coin system why is there a coin system why is there a coin system why is there a coin system why is there a coin system

B-Dex

Everything linking to facebook does could have easily been accomplished in the game itself.

So you can compare scores across multiple rockband titles with the app... OK But I think a majority of people that care cold just as easily go to rockband.com and check out leaderboards there or from within the games themselves.

Constantly going back to the app to add more goals so I don't run the risk of becoming coinless is really silly.

jgkspsx

I agree. The coins are a truly terrible idea and encourage people to avoid using powerups. I don't get it.

EDIT: Actually, I disagree. It's worse than doing it in the game itself, because I'm not about to add you lot on Facebook. (No offense.)

I've been playing for a few hours now and I'm loving it. I can see how the coin thing could become annoying. I saved up around 2000 coins before using power ups and I've been able to use all 3 and keep gaining a few hundred coins after each new song so it hasn't been a problem for me yet. Definitely can see how it would become a problem when trying to play one song over and over for a high score and not getting the double coin bonus.

Trying to get #1 on all the Bob Marley songs right now and I got almost half of them so far except for Could You Be Loved. Mister Game has that one easily. What power ups are you using? I got gold stars on the song and you're still beating my score by 55,000+ points.

Loving the Flame Notse power up. Got around 115,000 points on one song from that one. Need to get a good chain going for that though. Bandmate power up helps.

The pinball achievement was surprisingly easy. Did it on "Simple Man" while beating off a score challenger who isn't even an XBL friend. You can just challenge random people and take their coins? That seems unfair.

Also, "Steve Carrell"... not sure if troll.

Colbert. My bad.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Having a lot of fun with the demo but I'm not going to bite due to the coin stuff. Oh well...

If I could just, you know, _play_ the game without having to worry about an artificial economy, I would naturally be inclined to buy more songs. I already had my eyes on some new songs I'd like to have. No need to grab my wrist and forcibly drag me towards more DLC.

However, based on their posts on the RB forums and Twitter, Harmonix seems to think that the coin system actually serves a purpose and you're a weirdo if you're not on Facebook. I really don't appreciate that line of thinking and I don't like a score attack game that prevents me from trying to get high scores, so I'm out.

Has Harmonix ever actually explained why they made a score-based game built around currency that requires you to play numerous rounds with no hope of ever getting a high score just to earn currency so that maybe you might one day get a high score? I'd like to hear the rational for that. I assume it goes something like, "Because that's what we decided to do."

Holy Wars

Banned
Has Harmonix ever actually explained why they made a score-based game built around currency that requires you to play numerous rounds with no hope of ever getting a high score just to earn currency so that maybe you might one day get a high score? I'd like to hear the rational for that. I assume it goes something like, "Because that's what we decided to do."

I'm guessing its "to drive people to Facebook where we can make them sign up for a shitty app and boast about the number of users we have".

Either that or a lack of understanding of how the kind of people still interested in music games play music games.

Roto13

I agree. The coins are a truly terrible idea and encourage people to avoid using powerups. I don't get it.

EDIT: Actually, I disagree. It's worse than doing it in the game itself, because I'm not about to add you lot on Facebook. (No offense.)

Yup. Only one person on my Facebook list is at all likely to buy this game (and he hasn't really expressed a lot of interest in it) so at most I'll end up with one person to do stupid Social Game stuff with, but probably just nobody. I'm not adding anyone to Facebook for a game.

Meanwhile, I'd add a bunch of you guys on PSN if you asked.

aku:jiki

For achievement whores, if you want an easy song to 5 Gold Star on as well as do the 20 second pinball achievement, download the free Steven Colbert song called Charlene. By keeping the pinball in play and not attempting to hit notes, you'll 5 Gold star the song.
Nice, thanks for the tip. Are there other free songs on RBN? I want that 300 song achievement but I'm not a big RB guy so I'm not really psyched about having to buy 275 of them...

That has to be the dirtiest achievement on XBLA so far. 300 songs, WTF...

Holy Wars

Banned
The fact you can't just challenge an Xbox Live friend to a score duel in the game (from what I can tell) is just so incredibly stupid that I'm convinced it must be my fault and I'm missing an obvious option somewhere. Help me.

Also my real name showing up on Friends leaderboards on XBL is just...ugh.

Did this game start of as an iOS game? I feel like there's a decent idea buried under layers of really weird design choices.

Nice, thanks for the tip. Are there other free songs on RBN? I want that 300 song achievement but I'm not a big RB guy so I'm not really psyched about having to buy 275 of them...

That has to be the dirtiest achievement on XBLA so far. 300 songs, WTF...

For someone who's been there since RB1, having 300 songs isn't that much.

It's an achievement for the long time fans, basically.

elektrixx

Banned
Guys, it's driving me nuts. What's that sound effect from when it shows your leaderboard thing in-game? It's in some other game.

Minamu

Anyone else having issues with crashing? Mine's frozen twice on the Harmonix screen so far. And for a while, it didn't recognize the dlc songs that I had installed prior to booting the game.

Cronen

So last night I noticed my Rock Band 1 exported songs were not showing up at all in Blitz. As well as that, it seems that the game is only picking up about 10 songs from my RB2 export.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm going to load up RB3 and see of they're appearing in there, as its been a while. I did get the new 360 Slim a few months ago, and copied everything over, so my only other assumption is that it could be a licence issue with the Xbox?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Guys, it's driving me nuts. What's that sound effect from when it shows your leaderboard thing in-game? It's in some other game.

I'm not sure if it's the one you are talking about but the pause screen is definitely from chu chu rocket.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
I stayed up way too late playing this last night. It's really fun, but the coin system was as bad as I feared it was going to be. I didn't like that I had to hook my account into Facebook and only play different songs, in order to be able to use power ups consistently. Every time I had a decent place on a leader board, I wanted to play the song again to see if I could place higher, but realized, if I did that, I probably wouldn't be able to afford power ups on next run. On top of that, after playing with all power ups, it rather jarring when you have to play a track without power-ups to grind for coins. The power-ups add this extra layer of strategy, so when they stripped away suddenly, I found myself somewhat bored while playing the song. Also, if you are playing for a high score and you screw up the beginning of the song, pause the game and hit retry, it bumps you back to the "load out" screen and you lost the coins you spent on the song.

I can see this coin system severely hurting the replay-ability for me.

elektrixx

Banned
I know where that sound comes from now. The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.

When you're finishing up conversations it makes the same noise as that leaderboard thing on the right hand side of Blitz.

Anyone else having issues with crashing? Mine's frozen twice on the Harmonix screen so far. And for a while, it didn't recognize the dlc songs that I had installed prior to booting the game.

It hasn't crashed for me, but I have had a problem where the game will freeze for 1-2 secs randomly throughout a song. Makes it unplayable whenever it happens. So far it has fixed itself by restarting the Xbox/game, and hopefully it won't get any worse than that.

SuperPac

Yup. Only one person on my Facebook list is at all likely to buy this game (and he hasn't really expressed a lot of interest in it) so at most I'll end up with one person to do stupid Social Game stuff with, but probably just nobody. I'm not adding anyone to Facebook for a game.

Meanwhile, I'd add a bunch of you guys on PSN if you asked.

I've been getting score war challenges from people who are not my FB friends though. And I think for that you don't need to have connected to FB. So you don't have to add anyone to FB for this game as far as I'm aware. You ARE able to select Goals from the FB app which will nab you coins from playing either RBB or RB3, which is pretty cool. But again, it doesn't ask you to add people for those.

I can see this coin system severely hurting the replay-ability for me.

It's already hurt it for me. I'm sick of playing songs I don't want to play just to play the ones I want to. This is the most idiotic design decision I've seen in awhile. It's clear what their goal was - to make you buy new songs. Thus the bonus points for playing new songs.

Top Bottom