• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I need some pros to share their custom control scheme with me.

The standard one just isn't cutting it for sick aerials, I find.

How did I miss this game!! Soccer + cars, my two favorite sports combined... and free! Installing it while I am at work, can't wait to play it later tonight. It looks like so much fun.

Dubz

Anyone want to level up with me today? Think I'm going to go balls deep into ranked 2v2 or 3v3.

PSN = Dubzinator

WITHE1982

How did I miss this game!! Soccer + cars, my two favorite sports combined... and free! Installing it while I am at work, can't wait to play it later tonight. It looks like so much fun.

I hope you don't like sleeping much my friend. The "just one more game" mantra will grip you and never let go. I ended up 30 minutes late for work this morning as I had time for "one game" before I left the house.

On another note I'm level 23 and have yet to play a ranked match as I thought I'd just get annihilated by everyone. Is it much harder due to the pool of better players?

When I was watching the Euro stream ("de boeurs" I think), I swear they could make their cars jump much higher than I could. Is there some trick to gaining extra air time other than boosting? Afaik they weren't boosting on those occasions. They just seemed to catapult real high.

MizzouRah

I am curious. Its almost tempting me to go play the original to really feel the difference, but with online most likely dead I doubt I would get to see it. From youtube videos the car control seems nearly identical, but rocket league has simplified level design (definitely for the better)

Doesnt matter much in the end, rocket league is super fun

Most of the issues the reviewers had with the first game were related to what they considered to be an obtuse and overly complicated control scheme. They didn't put the time into a $15 downloadable title to get decent at the game before giving it a solid review.

nicolajNN

I need some pros to share their custom control scheme with me.

The standard one just isn't cutting it for sick aerials, I find.

I actually think most the pros use the default one, though one of them told me he would like to have handbrake/aerial on both L1 and square, but that's not possible atm.

TheDanimal

I cannot for the life of me get online splitscreen to work. Every time I've tried connecting another controller to play online with me, it says that it needs to be signed into PSN. My PS4 is set as my primary console, so I have no idea how to fix this. Has anyone else faced this problem and been able to fix it?

todahawk

I cannot for the life of me get online splitscreen to work. Every time I've tried connecting another controller to play online with me, it says that it needs to be signed into PSN. My PS4 is set as my primary console, so I have no idea how to fix this. Has anyone else faced this problem and been able to fix it?

Oooh, would love to know this too! Just found out it had split screen and want to try it out both offline and on.

That second controller needs to be signed in. You can also say 'No' to that message and play as a guest.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I am curious. Its almost tempting me to go play the original to really feel the difference, but with online most likely dead I doubt I would get to see it. From youtube videos the car control seems nearly identical, but rocket league has simplified level design (definitely for the better)

Doesnt matter much in the end, rocket league is super fun

I do miss that one L-shaped field (pitch?). You could travel between the two goals via a tunnel too.

TheDanimal

That message is probably for the second player, does that profile have a PSN account?

Ah, sorry, I wasn't clear. I know for a fact that splitscreen online can be played with a guest not having a psn account (I've seen it online as [username] and [username(2)]), so I'm trying to figure out how to do this.
Edit:
That second controller needs to be signed in. You can also say 'No' to that message and play as a guest.
So it really has to be logged in? I thought for sure my friends could play as guests...
Edit 2:
This is amazing

Bollocks

On another note I'm level 23 and have yet to play a ranked match as I thought I'd just get annihilated by everyone. Is it much harder due to the pool of better players?
ha-ha no, everyone's just as clumsy. We jumped right into ranked and we're doing fine. You win some you lose some

TheDanimal

They can. Say 'No' to the 'Do you want to sign in to PSN?' question (or however they word it) and it will give you the option.

Hm, when I click find match with a second controller (Guest 1) in the party, the game tells me that the Guest has to be logged in, and doesn't allow me to even find a game. It doesn't allow me to say no, all I can do is close the prompt.

I hope you don't like sleeping much my friend. The "just one more game" mantra will grip you and never let go. I ended up 30 minutes late for work this morning as I had time for "one game" before I left the house.

You'll probably find the opposite because your ranked rating will be really low and you'll be matched accordingly. Expect a lot of teammates that are very clearly on their first ever game until you level up a bunch.

I'm also up for getting into the gaf tourney/team play in general but could do with teammates. I'm in the UK and my skills are pretty damn unpredictable, playing on PS4 my username is the same as here.

WITHE1982

ha-ha no, everyone's just as clumsy. We jumped right into ranked and we're doing fine. You win some you lose some

You'll probably find the opposite because your ranked rating will be really low and you'll be matched accordingly. Expect a lot of teammates that are very clearly on their first ever game until you level up a bunch.

I'm also up for getting into the gaf tourney/team play in general but could do with teammates. I'm in the UK and my skills are pretty damn unpredictable, playing on PS4 my username is the same as here.

Good to know thanks. I'll not pussy out of it tonight then.

Hm, when I click find match with a second controller (Guest 1) in the party, the game tells me that the Guest has to be logged in, and doesn't allow me to even find a game. It doesn't allow me to say no, all I can do is close the prompt.

Yeah, it sounds like you have it set up correctly... The message I was talking about was a PS4 system message when you first sync a second controller, but you've already got that set up right. I don't know then, sorry.

TheDanimal

Yeah, it sounds like you have it set up correctly... The message I was talking about was a PS4 system message when you first sync a second controller, but you've already got that set up right. I don't know then, sorry.

Alright, thanks for trying. Can anyone else help?

Yup it just goes on XP gained, which basically is just an indication of how long you've played. I'm at pro (level 23) and I feel quite ashamed to carry the moniker as nothing could be further from the truth. Matchmaking hasn't been effected at all. It's still just random.

On the plus side I've finally unlocked all the items in game. Just 2 more trophies to go.

I agree I feel ashamed to be a semi-pro even lol. Rating should have been something like:

1-10: Rookie
11-30: Semi-Pro
31-50: Pro
51-70: Seasoned Pro
71-98: Veteran
99: Legend

Does anyone know what's after Pro? Guessing it's something like that.

Oddly, Ranked Mode doesn't show your skill rating/Pro status in-game and uses the default levelling title.

I'm hoping 3v3 Party for Ranked is enabled for August, along with seeing an opponent's rating in-game

How is the PS4/PC cross play? Does it actually work?

Yes, works as good as you expect: the purpose is to deepen the player pool

Can't make parties with PC/PS4 players however. There is a patch to invite PC/PS4 players for private party matches, I believe.

You also can't seem to communicate with PC players through the in-game text chat.

IISANDERII

Anybody else frustrated by the AI? I mean a player drops out, the AI replaces him and just takes over the game. Perfect passes, amazing saves and will shoot on goal from the other side of the field. So many times the AI will get MVP.

This happens too many times.

Yes, works as good as you expect: the purpose is to deepen the player pool

Can't make parties with PC/PS4 players however. There is a patch to invite PC/PS4 players for private party matches, I believe.

You also can't seem to communicate with PC players through the in-game text chat.

Thanks. I am hoping to use this game to hurry up my friend's purchase of a PS4, but maybe I can get him at least on the PC version.

Anybody else frustrated by the AI? I mean a player drops out, the AI replaces him and just takes over the game. Perfect passes, amazing saves and will shoot on goal from the other side of the field. So many times the AI will get MVP.

I've been sticking to ranked where the AI never shows up, though this has the disadvantage where quitters pretty much ruin it for everyone.

I played one online game last night and it was ropey as shit. Surprised I even managed to score. Terrible lag tho pings weren't all that bad. I'll continue to master the game in season for now.

Iced

Very much so.

I think they should make RL games for every sport. Next up is Rocket League basketball, where aerials will truely be essential.

The devs I talked to wanted something like that! Volleyball was a sport they mentioned too.

I think it'd be cool to play an First Person/Third Person basketball game, where you play as agile robots who can boost and fly. You could aim for tricky 3 pointers like how you would throw a grenade in a shooter, where they show you the arc of the grenade, or just rush the net for dunks, or you could do sweet alley oops and trick shots for extra points.

...Or we could beg EA to give us Street Vol reboot.

IISANDERII

Yup it just goes on XP gained, which basically is just an indication of how long you've played. I'm at pro (level 23) and I feel quite ashamed to carry the moniker as nothing could be further from the truth. Matchmaking hasn't been effected at all. It's still just random.

On the plus side I've finally unlocked all the items in game. Just 2 more trophies to go.
But when I'm searching for a match it says things like "Searching for players near your skill level", "Expanding search to include more skill levels", "Widening search to include all skill levels"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom