• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

WITHE1982

I played one online game last night and it was ropey as shit. Surprised I even managed to score. Terrible lag tho pings weren't all that bad. I'll continue to master the game in season for now.

Try to limit your search to your region only. I disable everything other than Europe and since then I never get any laggy matches.

But when I'm searching for a match it says things like "Searching for players near your skill level", "Expanding search to include more skill levels", "Widening search to include all skill levels"

Yeah noticed that yet I still get matched up against just as many rookies as semi-pro and it's quite rare I actually see another pro player.

IISANDERII

Just as I posted my frustration with the AI I play a match and an AI Pro level comes in and just dominates with 4 goals, 2 saves and finishes with 990 points.

FUCK OFF DAN EAT SHITE AND DIE

Ourobolus

Banned
Holy shit this game is amazing. I've been playing whenever I have free time at home.

Also yes, I hate when bots enter the game, because I end up feeling like a terrible player. :p

When I was watching the Euro stream ("de boeurs" I think), I swear they could make their cars jump much higher than I could. Is there some trick to gaining extra air time other than boosting? Afaik they weren't boosting on those occasions. They just seemed to catapult real high.
You can double jump pressing X twice. As long as youre not moving the left stick in any direction you will just get more height insread of a flip-boost

Ourobolus

Banned
You can double jump pressing X twice. As long as youre not moving the left stick in any direction you will just get more height insread of a flip-boost

This is my current problem with my playstyle. I have trouble identifying when I need to double-jump and when to dodge forward, so I keep missing my volleys.

Hasney

Tried going for some ranked doubles, tried 5 times. 3 times the reservation timed out and the second time, the other team didn't spawn in and I took a default win.

Think I'll get some food and try again in a bit!

Afrikan

This game is the reason i'm going to be late to my appointment right now.

Played last night and time flew by....only wanted to play for an hour...but I had a good team. Metal Gear Ray guy was killing, and soo many great saves...

then I ran into some straight matrix type players. This one person named "Law" was jumping from far and knocking in shots kike it was nothing.

This is a great gane, I hope some just give it a chance. I think that's the only issue right now, just convincing someone to try it once. They'd be hooked. But even though it is free it took me some time to finally fire it up.

This is my current problem with my playstyle. I have trouble identifying when I need to double-jump and when to dodge forward, so I keep missing my volleys.
My biggest problem is my timing. I can make so many great oppertunities appear and then I blow it by missing the ball by nanometers. I dont seem to have this problem when on defense but when I go for that goal I keep missing way more that I should.

Xater

Tried going for some ranked doubles, tried 5 times. 3 times the reservation timed out and the second time, the other team didn't spawn in and I took a default win.

Think I'll get some food and try again in a bit!

I might join you later.

Clockwork5

I miss the damn ball every damn time. I tend to jump too late but when I jump early I miss the ball by inches. I'm sure my teammates hate me but hey, I just want to improve.

Any tips or eye opening videos. I'm having a blast but it would be even better if I was at least decent.

Just as I posted my frustration with the AI I play a match and an AI Pro level comes in and just dominates with 4 goals, 2 saves and finishes with 990 points.

FUCK OFF DAN EAT SHITE AND DIE

Haha same thing. Was doing a 3 on 3 with friends and we were finally winning everything was clicking went 3 and 0 and two of the other team dropped and bots replaced....lost 3 to 5

RefigeKru

Banned
One of the most enjoyable games of late. Pure fun.

A favourite move is pulling a drift turn on the walls to catch a ball just as it bounces to juke the opposing team a little. Cool as fack.

Drencrom

This game is like crack to me and a friend, been having play sessions almost everyday since the release of the game.

I do hope they can improve the framerate a bit on some stages so they play flawless like the Urban stage.

Yeah, Pro is rank 20. Not sure what ranks are after that though, haven't seen anybody with higher than Pro just yet. Veteran might be 30.

I'd really like to know what's after too. Veteran is most likely 30.

I'm hoping it goes all the way to 99, and that they reward players with special items for ranking up.

My biggest problem is my timing. I can make so many great oppertunities appear and then I blow it by missing the ball by nanometers. I dont seem to have this problem when on defense but when I go for that goal I keep missing way more that I should.

Man, it's so weird: when I got back into this game after beta, I was nailing all my shots.

Then, just 2 days ago, I was astonishingly missing a LOT of easy shots. I couldnt believe it.

Yesterday I played a great game where I nailed so many nice shots and angles that my teammate was asking for a friend request.

By the way speaking of all this, I need to test out the settings I saw in this thread a couple times. I have camera distance set to max (300 I think?), and FOV set to max...

Is this a good setting?

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, it's so weird: when I got back into this game after beta, I was nailing all my shots.

Then, just 2 days ago, I was astonishingly missing a LOT of easy shots. I couldnt believe it.

This was me last night. I couldn't believe how badly I was playing. All my team members kept leaving the game, as opposed to the night before, when I was MVP for like 8 games straight.

I love the short loading times, but Psyonix should put a PSA on the announcement section of the game:

"Play Split-screen online by pressing Options on another controller"
"The game doesn't end when the timer hits 0. It ends when the ball touches the ground!"

I'm always surprised at how many people don't know these two facts

That doesn't really explain the 67 metascore.

Reviewers at the time said that the game was a random game of luck in which the only way to score was to wait for the ball to trickle over the line and tap it in. They also said they'd seen the devs do some cooler moves, but nobody would ever realistically get to that standard and the game would die long before then.

And it still hurts us all to this day.

MMaRsu

Reviewers at the time said that the game was a random game of luck in which the only way to score was to wait for the ball to trickle over the line and tap it in. They also said they'd seen the devs do some cooler moves, but nobody would ever realistically get to that standard and the game would die long before then.

Journalists are so terrible at games lol

( Giant Bomb at least :p )

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.

lol how wrong they were
They've delayed it. It'll update eventually!

ah ok

Ourobolus

Banned
I find myself going with ball cam almost exclusively. Wondering what other people do.

Same here. I've figured out relative movement enough to get it down. I may switch off when the ball is right above me so I can see the landing zone though.

To be fair, online was borderline broken at the time of US release. Nobody could really play until they released a patch with the release of the EU version. Even then, the matchmaking sucked. And the P2P servers couldn't handle anything above a 2v2 consistently (3v3s were rare, 4v4s were gold dust). There was a tonne of screen tearing. People cheated their way to the top of the leaderboards. The community was, at times, unwelcoming and elitist. There was no marketing or hype. Nobody knew it existed, and those who did know it existed tended to not care. It had a silly (read: awesome) name.

And it was so damn good.

AcridMeat

Banned
The football jerseys in either team blue or team orange colors are pure sex. I may just drop $50 on one... or two.
I'd like to see what they actually look like, but I'm tempted too haha.
I find myself going with ball cam almost exclusively. Wondering what other people do.
I went a period of a few days without ever hitting off of ball-cam. I hit it for about half a second a couple times yesterday.

I'm getting a blank name tag (above the cars) but can read their names when they score. Just assumed it was PC players as some of them had weird names including twitch.tv links.

You should be able to see PC players' names in-game. If the no-name bug is happening a tonne I'd alert a dev as that sounds odd to me.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I never owned a PS3 and never heard of the original game but the reception it got seems like a huge injustice. Glad the sequel got made anyway and it's going to be a gigantic hit judging by how quick word-of-mouth is spreading.
I'm getting a blank name tag (above the cars) but can read their names when they score. Just assumed it was PC players as some of them had weird names including twitch.tv links.
This happened to me a bunch yesterday too.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ah good to hear. I played (and won!) a few ranked matches and saw no update so I was going to avoid playing more until a patch.

I also played a 1v1 on PC and got absolutely destroyed.

He meant players literally playing on PC, not players controlled by AI.
Oh, gotcha. Didn't realize it was cross-platform.

Pepiope

I use it exclusively, but I noticed yesterday that I need to find a balance. It's very easy to hit a teammate or two when the camera is focused on the ball at all times.

Also, I haven't read through this thread, but is anyone else seeing blanks for player's names? It's so weird.

I see ************ for PC players, but that's a censor. His name showed up on the scoreboard as BoobiePussy or something like that

To be fair, online was borderline broken at the time of US release. Nobody could really play until they released a patch with the release of the EU version. Even then, the matchmaking sucked. And the P2P servers couldn't handle anything above a 2v2 consistently (3v3s were rare, 4v4s were gold dust). There was a tonne of screen tearing. People cheated their way to the top of the leaderboards. The community was, at times, unwelcoming and elitist. There was no marketing or hype. Nobody knew it existed, and those who did know it existed tended to not care. It had a silly (read: awesome) name.

And it was so damn good.

I think reviews were fair in this regard. P2P is a huge struggle, networking issues seemed real frustrating by what I read, and it really looked like a small indie game based on presentation values.

I think people underestimate the big changes here: Dedicated servers instantly makes this a serious competitive game, and the presentation feels matured-- everything from the soundtrack to the interface feels and looks serious and primetime. The customization and training mode will be huge bonuses for the more casual media too. There is overall more positivity going into this game when those things are nailed down.

How's the handling by the way? I know SARPBC was faster and more difficult, right? Can you detail that?

We actually still see criticisms of "floaty gameplay" with Rocket League's physics. I read one the other day. I really do hate that complaint. Seems so easy to say that without appreciating the game's rules.

Brohan

Anyone want to team up with me, semi-pro atm and still learning but playing reasonably well. Looking to increase my win chances by playing with some gaffers cause im not having alot of luck with my match ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom