• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I hope they add more to the game before going on a dlc rampage.

The base game is so damn fun, if only there were gameplay modifiers for local co-op and online multiplayer (non-ranked) including parties for things like ... I dunno off the top of my head:

Car size - big/small (including as a handicap for 2v1 etc)
Unlimited boost +/- vehicle kills off
Car handling/capabilities - speed, power, triple jump/single jump limit/super-jumps (first/second jump are stronger). Haven't played the rainy maps yet, hopefully they're more slippery.
Bouncy cars
Gravity changes for the cars, strength...direction? might need new maps for direction. Custom map support is probably asking too much.
Multiple balls
Obstacles, eg mines, huge moving non-scoring balls, raining heavy balls and mines
items...
Ball charges power if hit multiple times quickly (glows to indicate it, when you hit it it goes further) sort of like Mario Strikers Charged
Jello ball
Cars leak oil when they're hit/ or constantly...makes it slippery unless you're boosting, which uses up the oil
Magnets on the front of the cars that repel the ball, boost is lost, button used to toggle between repel and a much weaker attract - ball knocks you back if it manages to move long distances towards you and gain momentum
kamikaze cars (low number of hits, explodes on final hit)
...random (like dice roll) mix of some of the above mode
First to x wins instead of just time based. It might have that, haven't come across it yet though iirc.

I'm sure there's loads more fun stuff. But yeah small changes as options could make the game even funner. At least having that party/custom mode there if you wanted to mix things up a bit.

Did the first game have any of that?

I was thinking about this last night. Most of these in your list I was thinking would be great too, just private lobby or like Halo's Forge mode kinda thing. It'd be awesome fun.

holy cow

Played for HOURS last night and just couldnt stop! This game is so ridiculously fun and addicting!

Its also hard as balls. Physics Man!

Does anyone know if this game has splitscreen and LAN multiplayer? Seems like an excellent party game

holy cow

Played for HOURS last night and just couldnt stop! This game is so ridiculously fun and addicting!

Its also hard as balls. Physics Man!

Does anyone know if this game has splitscreen and LAN multiplayer? Seems like an excellent party game

4 Player Local Split-screen (Even on PC) and up to 8 players Private LAN!

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, I cannot get enough of this game. Had a nice 6-game win streak in Solo Standard ranked last night, including one game where a player on my team left after we were tied 2-2...luckily I finished them off for him.

Hasney

Christ, I figured that input lag on my TV hindered my reactions on this and other games purely because on PC, I'm much better on this and SF4 when I'm at my PC. I finally found a review that gave me it and...

68ms

Holy shit. That's in Game Mode too. Still going to get the Sony Bravia I had a thread on earlier because even though I like the idea of Android TV, they've put the input lag back up. 1080p is fine for now and in the 4k market, only Samsung has good input lag and I'd rather not deal with them again. I should have figured it was bad when I tried one of those Miku games on a PSTV and was horrible, then played it on my Vita and did much better.

Won last 5 ranked 1v1s due to enemy forfeiting. Sometimes I sit in my goal and watch them maneuver around, and wonder what made them come into ranked so early on, and how I'm getting matched up against them. I just sit there in my goal at the start, they hit it straight, knock it directly back into their goal, then I play defense for the remaining time. Eventually they realize they can't win and they leave. Sometimes I continue the offensive after the first easy goal, and score enough goals to make them quit that way as well. You would think that after hitting the ball directly at me right from the start ending with me getting an easy point would stop them from doing that the next round. Hit it to the side or something. Ugghhhh

In other news, my rank's frozen again.

What are the differences between the PS4 and PC version? I'm loving the PS4 version but thinking about giving the dev some money... is it worth the double dip?
No Sweettooth vehicle for PC.

Slightly better graphics maybe, and higher, more consistent framerate depending on your PC specs.

Unlocked the framerate over here so I can play at 144fps, but that seems to have caused issues with controller vibration. Had to turn controller vibration off. Also tried the tweak that's supposed to make the jaggies go away, but that just introduced a whole mess of problems.

Interfectum

What are the differences between the PS4 and PC version? I'm loving the PS4 version but thinking about giving the dev some money... is it worth the double dip?

The base game is so damn fun, if only there were gameplay modifiers for local co-op and online multiplayer (non-ranked) including parties for things like ... I dunno off the top of my head:

Car handling/capabilities - speed, power, triple jump/single jump limit/super-jumps (first/second jump are stronger). Haven't played the rainy maps yet, hopefully they're more slippery.
Bouncy cars
Gravity changes for the cars, strength...direction? might need new maps for direction. Custom map support is probably asking too much.
Multiple balls
Obstacles, eg mines, huge moving non-scoring balls, raining heavy balls and mines
items...
Ball charges power if hit multiple times quickly (glows to indicate it, when you hit it it goes further) sort of like Mario Strikers Charged
Jello ball
Cars leak oil when they're hit/ or constantly...makes it slippery unless you're boosting, which uses up the oil
Magnets on the front of the cars that repel the ball, boost is lost, button used to toggle between repel and a much weaker attract - ball knocks you back if it manages to move long distances towards you and gain momentum
First to x wins instead of just time based. It might have that, haven't come across it yet though iirc.

I'm sure there's loads more fun stuff. But yeah small changes as options could make the game even funner. At least having that party/custom mode there if you wanted to mix things up a bit.

I think you're missing the point of what makes the mass appeal of games like this and Trackmania. One simple set of rules, same for everyone - the rest is player skill. If you win you win because you're good, you lose because you suck.

All this extra bells and whistles just ruins the balance, adds randomness and frustration.

Bouncy cars
Multiple balls
items...
Jello ball

Just no. They made a game that is pure and that is fun.

Making more options/gimmicks/features destroys the whole game. More Hats,new cars, spectator mode, tracking of online stats are the only things this game needs anymore. Dont get them on the wrong idea by destroying a whole game with options. We had TF2 that suffered because of too many options... And the pure fun without gamechanging weapons was forever gone.

Also your changes need a lot of time to get them working. And this time is better spent somewhere else.

Cowie

Hot damn this game has it all

Can splitscreeners play together online? Or is online mode solo only?

What abot LAN mode? Can we do 4V4 with only 2 PS4s?

I can confirm that I've played splitscreen online with my roommate on both ps4 and pc. You're automatically in the same party, so you're always on the same team.

I hope all the devs lives has changed for the better too. You guys have brought joy to a lot of grizzled old veteran and newer gamers alike.

I hope the momentum keeps building and this games numbers on twitch, reddit, steam/ps4 just keep rising and rising.

I got this game for "free" on PS+ and will gladly buy some DLC to support the devs. Seriously, I think I'll even buy the PS4 theme just to give you guys some money.

Not seeing too many people mention having MM issues anymore, but the last 2 days on the USW and USE servers on PS4, Im getting matched up immediately, and then as people drop, they aren't being replaced... even after mutliple games. One might pop in here and there, but with as many people playing, there shouldn't be 2-3 bots in every game. And to add as TechnicPuppet brought it up below, when you get AI teammates, there is no middle ground, they are either derping all over or score a bunch. AI in one game yesterday (Critter? Crunch?) scored 7 times on 11 shots. People are a problem as well. 0-0, then with 3 minutes left, other team scores and you bail? Over ONE goal?

Also, the lag has been the worst its ever been. Today has been better than yesterday, but I've had some "rewind" moments. MM was sporadic last week, but when I got into a game, it was flawless for the most part.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
You know what sometimes ruins this for me. People. Specifically people who can't commit to the 5-7 minutes a game takes but they pay anyway.

I generally play 3v3 unranked game and nearly every game ends with 2/3 AI players. Sometimes the AI is amazing, score from anywhere with one touch. It's not cool.

Hasney

Not seeing too many people mention having MM issues anymore, but the last 2 days on the USW and USE servers on PS4, Im getting matched up immediately, and then as people drop, they aren't being replaced... even after mutliple games. One might pop in here and there, but with as many people playing, there shouldn't be 2-3 bots in every game. And to add as TechnicPuppet brought it up below, when you get AI teammates, there is no middle ground, they are either derping all over or score a bunch. AI in one game yesterday (Critter? Crunch?) scored 7 times on 11 shots. People are a problem as well. 0-0, then with 3 minutes left, other team scores and you bail? Over ONE goal?

Also, the lag has been the worst its ever been. Today has been better than yesterday, but I've had some "rewind" moments. MM was sporadic last week, but when I got into a game, it was flawless for the most part.

It's spotty. Lag and matchmaking problems usually trigger for a bit then they fix it, so if you get lucky and play when that isn't happening, then it's seamless.

Steel

Banned
Only thing I want added to this game are some whacky DLC game modes. Maybe a 3 team mode or something. I'd honestly feel bad for getting this for free on PS+ if there's no DLC to pay for since I've had so much fun with it.

DBT85

I'd like to propose that anyone who quits a ranked game 3 times in 30 minutes be barred from playing ranked for 30 minutes.

I'm shit and constantly fuck up but always play to the end despite almost always losing. These dicks who just quit after you go 2-0 down are just annoying.

Splitscreen online, no LAN on PS4 but you could create a private match and do it online.

Do all players require PSPlus accounts?

Shame there is no LAN for PS4 version

If the host is a PSplus member can he bring splitscreen guests online in a private match?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Just no. They made a game that is pure and that is fun.

Making more options/gimmicks/features destroys the whole game. More Hats,new cars, spectator mode, tracking of online stats are the only things this game needs anymore. Dont get them on the wrong idea by destroying a whole game with options. We had TF2 that suffered because of too many options... And the pure fun without gamechanging weapons was forever gone.

Also your changes need a lot of time to get them working. And this time is better spent somewhere else.

I agree, they need to fix ranking problems, add more cars and do paid tourneys and leagues.

Specifically they need to double or triple the leaver penalty and make the players that are a man down not lose ranking if someone leaves. Also a ranked match should never start if the teams are not even.

People need to be looking at this game as an actual sport because that is what the appeal of it is. Its one of the first esport type game that resembles an actual sport. Adding gamey complexities will push people away.

No, just one.

That is a general mechanic on PS4: if a console has a Plus account and that console is the primary for that account (or logged in), all other accounts on that console can play online.

Thanks for all the info guys!

This game is gonna be the star of my next gaming party I am thinking

bjaelke

I'd like to propose that anyone who quits a ranked game 3 times in 30 minutes be barred from playing ranked for 30 minutes.

I'm shit and constantly fuck up but always play to the end despite almost always losing. These dicks who just quit after you go 2-0 down are just annoying.

There should be a universal punishment across both modes in which online is disabled for x minutes after quitting 3 consecutive games. That way random disconnects wont be punished.

And "Defending.." should be changed to "Defending?"

Cowie

I'd also like the game to keep track of all the times your team won after you quit because you were too big of a baby to deal with the other team scoring first. Even from a sizeable deficit comebacks are completely possible in this game, and it's frustrating to deal with quitters.

That said, I don't even touch ranked for that very reason, heh.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
There should be a universal punishment across both modes in which online is disabled for x minutes after quitting 3 consecutive games. That way random disconnects wont be punished.

And "Defending.." should be changed to "Defending?"

Aren't you telling your team you are defending? Hence defending...

They need a "Fucking stop charging as goalie you moron" option.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

Here here! Fuck that annoying shit.

Also, can't wait for some dlc. I bought the PS4 theme last night to show some love. It's weird playing a game I got for free so much. I must have like 15-20 hours on this game by now. Batman AK collecting dust and I really like that game. Just have no desire to play anything else right now lol

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It should be "I'm defending" just like the equivalent offensive version is "I'm going for it."

Right now you have people going apeshit in chat and stopping playing because you just wanted to indicate you were playing goalie.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I'd also like the game to keep track of all the times your team won after you quit because you were too big of a baby to deal with the other team scoring first. Even from a sizeable deficit comebacks are completely possible in this game, and it's frustrating to deal with quitters.

That said, I don't even touch ranked for that very reason, heh.

The hilarious thing is the reason games get out of hand is because all people want to do is chase the ball. Its pretty obvious that you need a goalie, an attacker and a clean up guy in the middle.

Two cars on the same team should never be in the corner dicking around with the ball. Yet they always are.

Then you have the "goalie" at midfield because he is tired of never being man of the match due to this game sucking at rewarding defensive play.

So yeah the ball pops out over and over again and easily goes in. Its now 3 - 0 and people quit.

Give the same amount of points for saves, epic saves, and make clearing a true stat and more people will play goalie and less games will be blow outs.

Would be better to ban them from playing for 30 minutes after just one leave. Because then everyone will think twice before leaving a match. But that could make people losing their interest in the game.

Also no stats update after somebody leaves.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Would be better to ban them from playing for 30 minutes after just one leave. Because then everyone will think twice before leaving a match. But that could make people losing their interest in the game.

Also no stats update after somebody leaves.

What about internet interruptions? You can't punish peeps with a ban for that.

The hilarious thing is the reason games get out of hand is because all people want to do is chase the ball. Its pretty obvious that you need a goalie, an attacker and a clean up guy in the middle.

Two cars on the same team should never be in the corner dicking around with the ball. Yet they always are.

Then you have the "goalie" at midfield because he is tired of never being man of the match due to this game sucking at rewarding defensive play.

So yeah the ball pops out over and over again and easily goes in. Its now 3 - 0 and people quit.

Give the same amount of points for saves, epic saves, and make clearing a true stat and more people will play goalie and less games will be blow outs.

Agree, defense needs to be boosted.

DavidDesu

Holy. I've been waiting for a game like this for years. Had my first proper session and did the tutorial. I was thinking hmmm OK... Then I got to the tutorial showing how you can jump, pitch up and boost to fly.

:O

Oh and I love that I have a Scottish flag on my buggy!

Such a fun perfect game. Absolute madness but with real strategy revealing itself and then sheer madcap craziness randomising the whole thing. I love this game. I predict I will play this for hundreds of hours. Online matchmaking was quick and I never sat for more than a minute or two not playing, very few lag issues either.

I fucking love this game! Thank you PS+!

I'm not normally a competitive type of player, last time I really enjoyed online gaming was Rainbow Six on the Xbox (first one)... FPS are too manic and constantly dying is just no fun. This game is just way more accessible. It's even fun losing to be honest. Last night in one match I made 3 or 4 great (lucky) saves in quick succession. Felt like a God! Haha.

Here's my clip... https://youtu.be/CMglH3usNhY

Does anyone else have the problem where all controllers will disconnect in the middle of a game on PS4? The only thing that fixes it is a restart. It's happened to me 3 times now. Luckily Hollywood is a boss and managed to play some amazing defense to save the game while my friend and I drove around in circles.

TheFatMan

I just don't understand people leaving matches at all. I know sometimes shit comes up, but I always see people leaving a match after going down 2 or 3 goals.

I honestly can't count the number of times my team has come back from down 2 or 3....are people really getting that worked up about Rocket League?

I mean come on the game is still a blast, who gives a shit if you are winning? This isn't CoD where you are working on your KD ratio....get over yourself and finish the game and have some fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom