• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a teammate go into the chat to talk shit, thus allowing an easy goal.

Had to score on our own side, just to cheez him off even more after that

Vitor711

It's easily noticeable on PS4: Urban plays 60 FPS beautifully.

The rest of the maps clearly dont

Yeah, sort of wish you could vote on the arena before each game. I want a locked 60, not visual variety, especially when the stadium's don't impact gameplay in the least. Seems weird that the performance is so inconsistent across different areas but hopefully something they can fix.

I mean, the most taxing thing is likely the different lighting. The grass looks great and is the same across all of them to a degree.

I had some frustrating games last night too. Stop advancing the ball for the other team! Damn you! Especially when the opponent is on our side of the ball (so they can't hit the ball towards our goal without driving to the other side of it), let our godamn goalkeeper clear it out , don't hit it towards our goal just because you can.

That's the thing that really pisses me off, especially in a tight match. People don't understand that they don't have to be hitting the ball constantly.

Vitor711

That's the thing that really pisses me off, especially in a tight match. People don't understand that they don't have to be hitting the ball constantly.

It's a newbie thing - I was totally doing that for my first few games before I watched better players on the other team just wait in the centre and rush down the goal once the ball was cleared by a teammate, rather than trying to grab it themselves.

It takes you a while to realise that, just like actual football, positioning matters and you won't win by being a one-man team. Especially since you have far, far fewer movement options with the ball than in football (i.e. can only go forward really).

Although, the WORST thing is having a teammate rear end you at boosted speeds when you're about to score for no good reason. That sh*t is maddening. Lost a game earlier because of that. Sort of wish that you could turn off teammate interactions on unranked games. I rarely end up with a positive outcome after being boosted into by a buddy.

baconcow

Despite not being 60 fps, this game is the best "sports" game I have played in years. PS4 is entirely playable on every map, but a patch or grassless option would be nice.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
You needn't worry about anything like that, I'm your goalie, I'm cool and reliable, no ball shall pass me, just look at this gif
Isn't that a goalie you would trust 100% when you fail?

Haha damn!! playing with fire on that save, friend. Ridiculous save though.

It's a newbie thing - I was totally doing that for my first few games before I watched better players on the other team just wait in the centre and rush down the goal once the ball was cleared by a teammate, rather than trying to grab it themselves.

Although, the WORST thing is having a teammate rear end you at boosted speeds when you're about to score for no good reason. That sh*t is maddening. Lost a game earlier because of that. Sort of wish that you could turn off teammate interactions on unranked games. I rarely end up with a positive outcome after being boosted into by a buddy.

Or you go to center a ball off the corner to find both your teammates sitting behind you...

bjaelke

Ball acting all weird tonight. Has a very floaty feel to it. Might be a sync problem. Impossible to predict the trajectory and line up any shots let alone aerials.

Hasney

You needn't worry about anything like that, I'm your goalie, I'm cool and reliable, no ball shall pass me, just look at this gif
Isn't that a goalie you would trust 100% when you fail?

And that's not even the best save I've seen him make. At least I know in advance the team that will make me cry this tournament.

Skyzard

Banned
I think you're missing the point of what makes the mass appeal of games like this and Trackmania. One simple set of rules, same for everyone - the rest is player skill. If you win you win because you're good, you lose because you suck.

All this extra bells and whistles just ruins the balance, adds randomness and frustration.

Trackmania doesn't need it, it has pretty crazy tracks already and isn't as perfectly set up for gameplay modifiers... doesn't have much randomness or interaction with others.

Just no. They made a game that is pure and that is fun.

Making more options/gimmicks/features destroys the whole game. More Hats,new cars, spectator mode, tracking of online stats are the only things this game needs anymore. Dont get them on the wrong idea by destroying a whole game with options. We had TF2 that suffered because of too many options... And the pure fun without gamechanging weapons was forever gone.

Also your changes need a lot of time to get them working. And this time is better spent somewhere else.

Those extra party options aren't to replace the main game but for extra fun value in another mode that mixes things up with not just player counts.

Sure it takes time to implement and test out...gameplay modifiers. Not that much time.

Thanks, ickingfudiot posted his settings earlier, I have been going with that. The big difference is how close the camera is. I originally had my camera stretched ALL THE WAY OUT. I had a better view, but now I feel that with the camera so close, I can judge my hits better.

Anyone else with setting suggestions?

Yep, that's basically it, closer to the car it seems easier to aim. Also Having the camera zoom in and out less (I think) with that 0.50 stiffness should help with maintaining accuracy in judgement.

Modifiers were supposed to be a huge part of Rocket League, as well as tournaments. I believe they are still working on doing tournaments.

The modifiers I think were probably dropped. I agree that fun modifiers would be great, especially for private and local matches.

They had plans to do things like change how scoring worked and changing the size of the goals. Those sounded interesting to me, but they probably figured it wasnt worth the effort since most people would get tired of small gimmicks.

A lot of what you are asking for sounds like an issue of prioritizing features. Right now, well designed, unconventional maps would really add a good amount of variety to the traditional, competitive game.

That's a shame. I was hoping they weren't going to prioritise chasing evo instead of making the game better and have more value. Absolutely it doesn't come first...but not at all? For just gameplay modifiers that could make it even more fun just by playing an extra 1 round out of a 100 with them.

LkPr

Is anyone interested in joining our PS4 team for the GAF Rocket League tournament? The specifics on the tourni can be found here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1077919

I need one more person to fill out our team and then maybe 1 person that I can list as a sub. Specifically I am hoping for people in EST so it's easier to coordinate the games.

Let me know on here or send me a PM if you're interested. Thanks!

Gumbie

any PS4 deals out there? I have to play this game, my kids and I would have a blast!

I just missed out on the $150 trade credit for a 360 towards a PS4 at Gamestop, so mad I didn't do that

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161759843636 - PS4 Batman Bundle for $369 it's buy.com's ebay account

or

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A8203949 - PS4 Last of Us Bundle with $100 egift card

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Deals/comments/3dh6lj/ps4_console_w_the_last_of_us_100_egift_card_39999/

Is anyone interested in joining our PS4 team for the GAF Rocket League tournament? The specifics on the tourni can be found here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1077919

I need one more person to fill out our team and then maybe 1 person that I can list as a sub. Specifically I am hoping for people in EST so it's easier to coordinate the games.

Let me know on here or send me a PM if you're interested. Thanks!

I'd be down. LVL 22 or 23. Ranked #45 in 3v3

Finally played a bunch online last night. Connection was solid for the most part. Damn that was a lot of fun...

We had some really good games. You are way better at the air battle than I am. I almost had it down but I kept missing the ball with my attacks and leaving us open. I also never turn of flip when I hit it which seems like a big deal.

great I think you're in :) what is your PSN

Sounds good. PSN: Bdraughn. Ill be on at 5EST today if you want to link up and see if we are all compatible. Im not much of a flier, but I'm a facilitator and pretty good at reading the flow of the game. I'm at about 85% MVP rate with 3.5 goals a game, a ton of centering and ball clearance points.

The Beard

Last night I had 1 teammate that robbed me of 3 goals because of that shit. I'd have a wide open net, I got the ball lined up perfectly, start to jump into it, then BAM, dude crushes me from the side or from the back. The worst part was that he never had the right angle to score. He's smash it passed the goal, or if it was a head on shot he'd crush it so it'd ended up 10ft above the goal and bounces back for a nice breakaway for the other team. We lost because he was going all gung-ho, trying to crush the ball just for the hell of it.

Ogawa-san

Although, the WORST thing is having a teammate rear end you at boosted speeds when you're about to score for no good reason. That sh*t is maddening.
Just getting rammed is maddening enough. I usually stop playing right about when the teammate AI starts going full Twisted Metal on me.

Convinced one of my friends to download this since he usually plays only COD and he was positively surprised by this game too. We had some really fun doubles matches and two hours flew by. Definitely a GOTY contender for me.

Lingitiz

Played a couple of hours yesterday with the Plus version and had a great time once I got a feel for all of the mechanics. Considering buying a Steam version for the smoother frame-rate and to show my support. Very fun game.

I don't think I'm going to achieve any sense of mastery until I've logged dozens and dozens of hours. Maybe I should fuck with the camera and FOV too.

BShadowJ

well then that's great news!

I was wondering, how can i tell when im playing with steam players?

If you are on one platform, you can see if you're playing with players from the other platform by looking at the scoreboard and checking their pictures. If they have a default face that looks like just a circle for a face and a body, then they are on the other platform. I'll try and get a screenshot later to explain it better.

If you are on one platform, you can see if you're playing with players from the other platform by looking at the scoreboard and checking their pictures. If they have a default face that looks like just a circle for a face and a body, then they are on the other platform. I'll try and get a screenshot later to explain it better.

sometimes, i see players that are just a dot and no name or pictures. I just assumed they were PC players.

The only icons I've ever seen is people on my friends list. Does that mean I've never played with another steam user? I heard quick chat wasn't working cross platform but there have been times where I quick chat with people but can't see profile pictures.

BShadowJ

sometimes, i see players that are just a dot and no name or pictures. I just assumed they were PC players.

Well the "dot" and "no name" I'm thinking is either a bug or people on PC purposefully changing their name so it doesn't show, but yes, people without pictures are on the other platform. I'm saying "other platform" because PS4 users see PC users as being without picture, while on PC the reverse happens.

Since my explanation for the icon was probably horrible, here is a picture of a game I just did:

3aejXlZ.jpg

If you see a player with the icon my opponent has, he's a PC player (on my case since I'm playing on PS4). If he were to check his scoreboard, he'd see me with that icon, indicating he was playing against a PS4 opponent.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Welp. In the space of one day I've apparently forgotten how to play this game. I've only been playing on Vita remote play today but even so goddamn I've been bad today. I had this shit down just yesterday. Maybe it's just the smaller screen making it harder or something.

BShadowJ

An hour and a half left for me to end the sign-ups on the GAF Tournament!

If you want to be in on this one, sign-up now while you can! x)

Oh and for the people that already have signed-up: I'm going to combine the first two rounds into the first week deadline for sure. That means two (or more if more sign-up in the time that's left) very unlucky teams will have to do two games this week, but hopefully that won't be too hard since it's like 20 minutes tops each match and you could do it like on a Friday then the Saturday...
Please don't hate me :(

Calabi

I've had loads of games where my own team have hit the ball into our own goal. Some times I'm not sure if there trolling but it is quite difficult, and people can be overzealous.

An hour and a half left for me to end the sign-ups on the GAF Tournament!

If you want to be in on this one, sign-up now while you can! x)

Oh and for the people that already have signed-up: I'm going to combine the first two rounds into the first week deadline for sure. That means two (or more if more sign-up in the time that's left) very unlucky teams will have to do two games this week, but hopefully that won't be too hard since it's like 20 minutes tops each match and you could do it like on a Friday then the Saturday...
Please don't hate me :(

Quoting for the new page. Hope we get a few more teams in the next hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom