• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Just had an epic 2v2 comeback where I got a ridiculous epic save and 2 long goals as well as the game winning assist. Carried this random rookie dude.

I forgot to save the replay though! Still, some unbelievable shit happens in this game.

Whoa, playlist populations.

Yeah! Feels good seeing that.

Well I just double dipped and purchased the PC version as well. I'm having more fun with this than I did with the $150 Ghost Edition of Destiny I bought. The least I could do is give psyonix $20. Rocket League is giving Splatoon a run for my GOTY for sure!

Dubz

I am enjoying the game for the most part. I do have 1 frustration besides sucking at the game. My team scores first then 1 or 2 people quit. The players are replaced by the over powered AI and the game ends up 7-1 beat down lead by 6-7 goals by the AI. I don't get the quitting on un ranked matches. I take my beat downs not like it means anything in a un ranked match. It sucks that most games turn into a AI beat down. They really need to gimp the AI it is way OP.
Keep playing. After about 10-15 hours the AI won't pose much of a problem for you.

MrPanic

Oh man, that invisible glitch popped up a lot today, game is telling me to go to bed. Seems to mostly occur after playing another round with the same people, maybe I should try to find a new match after each match as a precaution.

Ranked 2 vs 1. I lost 5-4 in OT by myself, got almost double the points as the MVP and my rank went down from the loss. That stings.
Said it about Splatoon, but I'd really like a game that treats your ranked rating as something based on the individual rather than the team they end up on, especially in a playlist that legitimately doesn't allow for pre-made teams.

The way it is now, you could be 1k+ and still end up with baddies on your team because they got lucky and carried by randoms up until this point.

M.W.

Wow, watching Kronovi's stream, I just learned that when your exhaust hits purple, you're at top speed and DON'T need to use boost anymore. Mind blown. I've been wasting boost all this time.

shmoglish

giphy.gif

But in the end it was my goal

JTripper

Been playing this game a ton since yesterday. I mainly play ranked doubles with a friend of mine and after getting mad at losing cause of bad luck and no clear strategy, we decided to try one, and so far it's proven to be pretty useful (we won our last 4 games with ease).

Basically, just have one guy play goalie and one play offense the entire time. If you're familiar with the starting positions, you know who can get to the ball the fastest, so that person plays offense. The goalie stays inside the goal area (the highlighted square in front of the goal) and NEVER leaves unless he is sure the ball is about to invade his area. Most people I've seen try this get restless and just attack the ball with their teammate when the ball is on their side of the field. Never works out. The key is for the goalie to NEVER LEAVE the post.

There are also some sub-strategies I use too. I've seen a couple opponents get angry and one guy starts attacking the goalie (which was me at the time). When (if) this happens, just call a switch with your teammate and the opponents will get confused and you'll essentially leave the guy attacking you behind in your goal doing nothing. Oh, and if you're losing in the final 30 seconds, I usually call a blitz and have both me and my teammate rush offense in a final effort to score a goal.

What I actually think makes this strategy work well is that only one person plays offense against the 2 opponents, making it less chaotic. There's more room for error when 2 people on the same team head for the ball at the same time, and if one person makes a mistake your teammate will (or at least ideally should) capitalize on it. And if your teammate makes a mistake, you're always in the goal post defending in case the ball is headed your way.

Good games rocket bros. We should have ended on that 10-2 win. Going to bed sad now.

No one on that team rage quit. I'm very proud of them

Of course they went on to win two more games, but when I tell my grandchildren of the 10-2 win against those randos online I'll leave that last part out

No one on that team rage quit. I'm very proud of them

Of course they went on to win two more games, but when I tell my grandchildren of the 10-2 win against those randos online I'll leave that last part out
I think v1lla was eating cereal or something the second 2 games.

FDC1

I played against Kronovi last night in ranked 3 vs 3. We only lost 7-0, I even stopped one of his shots, I'm pretty proud :p

Logic88

Neo Member
I downloaded this game when it went free on ps+, I got the platinum for it, but I never actually played the online mode more than once so far, so just wondering (sorry if this was asked before, there's a lot of pages in this thread) what's the best way to get into the online side of rocket league? :) should I be starting with 1v1 for a while, then moving to more players?

Hasney

I downloaded this game when it went free on ps+, I got the platinum for it, but I never actually played the online mode more than once so far, so just wondering (sorry if this was asked before, there's a lot of pages in this thread) what's the best way to get into the online side of rocket league? :) should I be starting with 1v1 for a while, then moving to more players?

Nah, 1v1 is hard! Go into a regular 3v3 or 2v2 and see which one you like more. Probably best to avoid ranked for a little bit and just have fun!

Skyzard

Banned
I like how in free training with unlimited boost you can just stay in the air forever and it plays like a jetpack/flying sim lol.

Hasney

Oh no :( I only play online and I don't know if I'll ever come back on offline (since it's pretty boring).
Thanks for the answer anyway!

It is a bug though, so hopefully should start tracking online too after a patch!

I just start up an offline game and have accelerate pinned down while I cook or something for now.

I've seen a couple opponents get angry and one guy starts attacking the goalie (which was me at the time). When (if) this happens, just call a switch with your teammate and the opponents will get confused and you'll essentially leave the guy attacking you behind in your goal doing nothing.

Tbh I think attacking a (largely static) goalkeeper is totally rational and sensible as a tactic, rather than the rash actions of the angry.

Planet

You can just keep playing after a patch fixes the problem with not counting distance online. It will probably pop sooner than you think, because the wheels stats only show about 1/8th of the true distance even offline. Or, if you have every other trophy, you can just do the rubber band trick one night long, and you get your precious Platinum. :)

DBT85

I think I am actually getting worse at this game. Gonna stick to 1v1 for awhile to get my fundamentals together. I am missing EVERYTHING lately and when I do hit the ball it tends to be in the other teams favor.

Keep doing the training at the middle tier and do it over and over till you can get all the balls first time.

I did a bunch yesterday and got from 3/10 upto a more consistent 8/10 first time.

I also changed the camera settings to those suggested and it did seem to help.

Skyzard

Banned
I changed camera settings again... going back closer to default as the previous one was a bit too low and close, you can't see people positioning themselves around you as well. I'd post the settings again but I may change them again ... meh why not, I really am liking them:

ebt74tx.png

Still not sure about camera shake (visual fun factor vs clarity)

My screensize might affect things for you...not sure, I moved my monitor back a bit but I like playing it this way. Playing at 4k 16:9 28"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom