• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Another online game where the bots run rings around the players. I'd love an option to never have bots in my online games. I'd rather wait for someone to join than this. I know I'm shit but still lol.

CKIGnZcWsAE71Am.jpg:large

LordofPwn

played only ranked 3v3 yesterday. my skill rating was at 170 going into the day.
it hit a peak of 495, and now sits in the low 400s. that seems all good and all but i was trying to get my rank to above 500 and every time i'd hit 470 or up id get paired with the worst teammates or experience awful lag.

Set up this awesome aerial shot that was going towards the goal the next second ball is in the corner and i'm on the ground in the opposite corner. wondering wtf.

3 times i was lined up for an easy save and then id get rubber banded to the side for no reason and the ball would go in. my ping was never worse than 80 all night, but had teammates in the 200+ range.

Also it seems like a miracle if all 6 players stay till the end of the match.

BShadowJ

Bwhahahaha one would think at 950 rating in Ranked Duels you'd have intelligent, knowledgeable, courteous players... Nope. LOL

Had a dude that half way through the game calls me "lucky" (even though both him and me were doing a ton of mistakes and missing easy shots)... And the next game another dude calls me the same, but worse because he sticks around at the end to say "lucky" like 5 times LOL

Even funnier is, after that I get the second guy again, and he's like "This time I'm gonna beat you!". He still lost. And after that he says: "stop nicking the fucking boost!!" and leaves. So salty LOL

Aaaaaaah competitive games sure brings out the best of some folks!

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
has Psyonix commented on the bugged inventory/items?

i must have unlocked the same items like 10 times each already, and yet they never show up in my garage

BShadowJ

has Psyonix commented on the bugged inventory/items?

i must have unlocked the same items like 10 times each already, and yet they never show up in my garage

I'm taking a (not so) wild guess and say that's the decals. Yeah you gotta unlock all the decals individually for each car. You probably haven't seen them because you have to change car type in order to see those cars' unlocked decals.

ekimneems

Neo Member
Probably my favorite save of the night just because of the sheer amount of lag that was happening at the time lol
giphy.gif

seriously haha
On one of my games the whole team was doing that on their side and I thought the servers had gone down or something lol
giphy.gif

Overall had some fun games with Deimos and papaSmurf tonight. GG guys.

I'm all about the sombrero/Mexican flag combination. Been using that since day one.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Another online game where the bots run rings around the players. I'd love an option to never have bots in my online games. I'd rather wait for someone to join than this. I know I'm shit but still lol.

Feels go to know I am not the only one with this issue. I don't ever see a time I won't get my ass handed to me by the AI. I have finished around 60 matches and still the AI walks all over me.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I'm taking a (not so) wild guess and say that's the decals. Yeah you gotta unlock all the decals individually for each car. You probably haven't seen them because you have to change car type in order to see those cars' unlocked decals.

interesting - was unaware of that, but not sure if that is the case or not as i've only changed car models once pretty early on... i'll do some research.

thanks for that.

In ranked, if someone leaves or there not enough cars you team is just down a car.

Pejo

Got my first MVP last night, 3 of them actually. One game, I had all 5 goals from my team. I'm still unlocking stuff, it's going to be hard to top the Radiant gold sparkly boost though. I think I've settled on Paladin with wings decal for my car too. There's still a car I haven't unlocked but I have no idea what it is.

todahawk

Got my first MVP last night, 3 of them actually. One game, I had all 5 goals from my team. I'm still unlocking stuff, it's going to be hard to top the Radiant gold sparkly boost though. I think I've settled on Paladin with wings decal for my car too. There's still a car I haven't unlocked but I have no idea what it is.

congrats! Are you on PS4? Might be Sweet Tooth yet to unlock. That took forever but was kind of random. Had all the others unlocked for quite awhile before I got the last one. Some have said you need to win with the 6 default cars, others have said it's just random.

I love the game but some of the guys I've been playing with are clearly getting much better while I'm doing ok at best. I put in some time in the evenings but the skill gap is widening.

DBT85

In ranked, if someone leaves or there not enough cars you team is just down a car.

I know. A guy bailed on me in 2v2 at 2-0 and I ended up losing 7-1

Though I just played a ranked 2v2 and scored 4 goals. 3 of which were aerial shots. Replay coming! Lol

AcridMeat

Banned
Do you guys remember games that weren't rocket league? Those were weird, huh?
No.
Just did my first ranked game. Lost 2-1.

My two teammates, let's see:
- Didn't clear the ball one single time.
- Didn't get any stats - score, assist, or saves, while I had the one score, 3 saves, and many clears.
- Last point for other team wasn't a lucky bounce, it was my teammate, in OT, driving the lane line a young MJ, and slamming the ball home.... for the other team.

Yep, just like unranked. Lol Game is too much fun though, but these randoms...
I bolded the important point. Just play more matches to get out of the rookie ranks and you'll get people who know what they're doing.
Lol, played a Solo 3x3 ranked match earlier. The other team scored a fairly lucky goal in the first 10-15 seconds and of course a teammate rage quits. So on the ensuing kickoff we scored on the kickoff and then scored another goal about 20 seconds later and then the other team rage quit and left a dude by himself so it was 2 on 1. People need to calm down on the ranked stuff. You are playing ranked because you want a competition, so don't wuss out on the first goal or two when it is still anybody's game.
Haha wow. I've had similar on PC, not quite to that extent, but I recently played a 3v3 where we went up 4-0 and two of the other team's players left, and then the solo guy scored almost immediately after haha. It's just so silly, the games take no time, there's always a chance to score miracle goals. This seems like the wrong game to get mad at when the core is so damn fun.
I love the game but some of the guys I've been playing with are clearly getting much better while I'm doing ok at best. I put in some time in the evenings but the skill gap is widening.
I feel bad because I'm doing this compared to my friends who have less time to put in.

Just saw Gambit vs. Kronovi

Damn man, Gambit's dribble is amazing! Personally, I love the ground game allows that level of play.

1v1 truly is insane to watch at such a high skill level. There's so much fun watching the skill in outplaying and outsmarting your opponent.

This game is so magical. I mean, just look at how competitive, yet different 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 is. They are all so viable for esports

LordofPwn

so ideas and stuff to add/patch in

Skill rating next to names for ranked matches
level numbers next to names in unranked matches.
spectator mode (mentioned, is coming)
tournaments (mentioned, may be coming)
Teams/Clan feature, with rankings and leaderboards
More accolades, and post match awards.
tweaked points system. I think saves and clears need more points given to promote more defensive play
total points earned and point to next level meters. could through into the stats page.
Profile page. so others can see your stats and to manage team/clan stuff.

nothing that would change the balance or fun level.

more levels, cars, and customizations will come with DLC and i love that.

a photo mode would be pretty fun in the replay editor. to be able to change depth of field, exposure and what not, but not sure if the engine can handle something like that though.

When I start Rocket League: This game is amazing.

When I'm playing Rocket League: Holy hell, do I suck at this game.

When I'm not playing Rocket League: I need to play Rocket League.

Pejo

congrats! Are you on PS4? Might be Sweet Tooth yet to unlock. That took forever but was kind of random. Had all the others unlocked for quite awhile before I got the last one. Some have said you need to win with the 6 default cars, others have said it's just random.

Yea it's gotta be Sweet Tooth, thanks for the tip.

I think we will finally be at a good skill level when your average player realizes it's not always best to boost right at the ball all the time. I can't even count the number of times my own teammates have hit the ball away from an easy score or into our own net while another teammate was trying to defend.

Plus, I've had a really really bad time trying to time my jumps to hit balls while they're still in the air. I'm still working on that skill. I always end up jumping too late and fly right over/under the ball (doing some sweet flips I might add).

It's so hard for me to get the timing down and when I hit the ball it doesn't go the way I intend it to. Otherwise this is a very addicting game.

Managed to play with two other friends last night. When you've got two other reliable people to count on the game really shines. All I can think about is going home and playing this all weekend and blowing off The Witcher 3 and some CSGO with friends entirely.

my reaction time lately...
BtIaaG3.gif
Lol. Thats me too.

Since I play with just the ball cam I really have to pay attention to where the front of my car is facing. The ball is always at the center of the screen so I missjudge my shot easily. Since Ive tried to be more aware of the front of my car, I have noticed a difference in my accuracy.

Ravager61

Is ranked broken on PC and PS4? I have both versions but haven't played much of the PC yet. Also, do parties work on PC? I tried creating the party and hitting the + button to add people but nothing happens.

Tangeroo

Is ranked broken on PC and PS4? I have both versions but haven't played much of the PC yet. Also, do parties work on PC? I tried creating the party and hitting the + button to add people but nothing happens.

Ranked is fine on PC as are parties.

Hitting the + button should open your Steam Friends List and allow you to select people to add. My friends and I have been playing all week.

Ravager61

Ranked is fine on PC as are parties.

Hitting the + button should open your Steam Friends List and allow you to select people to add. My friends and I have been playing all week.

Hmm, ok thanks. I basically bought the PC version just to play with friends. It may not have been working though because I don't have any friends online right now. I just wanted to test it out for when we do play this weekend.

LordofPwn

define broken?

Im on PS4 and while the games work and matchmaking is pretty quick, there's still lag, and people who don't know what they are doing. and my skill rating is updated after every match or close to it. It bounces around but not as much as it used to (thanks to more matches.) It wont always match you with a good match, but im not sure how skill rating and players left playing affect it.

Ravager61

define broken?

Im on PS4 and while the games work and matchmaking is pretty quick, there's still lag, and people who don't know what they are doing. and my skill rating is updated after every match or close to it. It bounces around but not as much as it used to (thanks to more matches.) It wont always match you with a good match, but im not sure how skill rating and players left playing affect it.

My skill ranking never gets updated on PS4. Other than that, everything works fine.

Ravager61

I've been reading a lot of posts of people saying they are using mostly the ball cam in their games.

In my playing so far, I really think the ball cam is almost useless. The only time I feel like you should be using it is just for a few seconds to get a glimpse of how close the ball is to you when you lose track of it.

Lining up any kind of hit with the ball cam is next to impossible. Sure you can connect but its pointless if you can't hit it where you want it. You'll end up putting the ball in front of your own goal or hitting it back towards your own side more often than not. And as for hitting an airborne ball, the ground indicator is more than sufficient with a little practice.

tweaked points system. I think saves and clears need more points given to promote more defensive play
total points earned and point to next level meters. could through into the stats page.

a photo mode would be pretty fun in the replay editor. to be able to change depth of field, exposure and what not, but not sure if the engine can handle something like that though.

I'd like to add this. Personally, I'd like some kind of team/clan feature more than a tournament, but both together would be peanut butter and jelly.

-I gave a list of accolades and post-match awards I'd like to see, including rewards for ending a tie, forcing a tie, scoring short-handed, etc.

-I think saves and clears are fine. If you aren't getting lots of points for goaltending (there should never be one dedicated goaltender anyway), it just means that your team is playing good offense. Reasonably, you cant expect to get points for not doing anything. that said, epic saves should be bumped from 60 to 75 or 80 IMO. I have a better solution:

Post-match rewards like "best offense" (combined goals, hat tricks, ball centers, and shots on goals), "best defense" (ball clears, saves, epic saves, saviour), and "best wingman" (assists, playmakers, destructions) would really flesh out a good breakdown of playstyles IMO.

-Dedicated ranked mode statistics, separate from the mess of offline/online stats that exist now

-Seeing a friend's car when they join the party

-Seeing the winning team on display after a match (complete with confetti, and medals next to nametags) in combination with the post-game stats. Sort of like the main menu, except you see the winner's cars and the score breakdown. Just makes winning feel special when you have a properly celebrated win screen

-Quit penalties, of course

-More online colours besides orange vs blue

Skyzard

Banned
I've been reading a lot of posts of people saying they are using mostly the ball cam in their games.

In my playing so far, I really think the ball cam is almost useless. The only time I feel like you should be using it is just for a few seconds to get a glimpse of how close the ball is to you when you lose track of it.

Lining up any kind of hit with the ball cam is next to impossible. Sure you can connect but its pointless if you can't hit it where you want it. You'll end up putting the ball in front of your own goal or hitting it back towards your own side more often than not. And as for hitting an airborne ball, the ground indicator is more than sufficient with a little practice.

Camera moves about like crazy without ball cam though.

DBT85

Camera moves about like crazy without ball cam though.

Change your camera settings and that problem goes away.

I like this list

Add in quit penalties (quit 3 tiems in 30 mins and no online for you for a period of time)
More training modes (defend 3 shots in quick succession for example, and more flying ones)

Skyzard

Banned
Change your camera settings and that problem goes away.

It's not as bad with a super wide fov and other changes but they also make it harder to hit things as you need to zoom yourself out a lot to not get the crappy camera movement in normal cam. It's like any movement shifts the camera super quick. It's peaceful in ball cam mode by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom