• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravuus

Thought I'd play a quick relaxing couple of 4v4 matches online before a frustratingly long car drive today to the other side of Finland, and of course I got matched with the biggest idiots online right now lmao. Amazing how mad I can sometimes get because of a video game. Of course it's super short-lived tho and I calm down in a matter of seconds

Melchior

Anyone running into crashing problems? I would Q into matches and the game would just lock my PC for maybe 30 seconds max and crash. Happened usually at the beginning of matches (as you drop in) and if I went into the car customization randomly. I just got the game tonight so not really sure if this is common. Also happened to a friend of mine maybe 2 or 3 times when we played together.

bjaelke

I think it's the most relaxing of the game modes since it's not nearly as competitive as 3v3, 2v2 or 1v1. It's just madness.

Of course, if you REALLY want to win it can get a lot more frustrating than the other mode.
Chances of getting rammed by a teammate is significantly increased in Chaos.

Skyzard

Banned
Not to start a console platform issue but I do feel bad for X1 only owners (without a PC too) for missing out on this. Great game people should get to play and it seems like the sort of game right up the xbox gamer alley too.

Not to start a console platform issue but I do feel bad for X1 only owners (without a PC too) for missing out on this. Great game people should get to play and it seems like the sort of game right up the xbox gamer alley too.

They kinda mentioned they were being intentionally mum about this but as well as this game is doing on both platforms and no sony exclusivity I can see it eventually coming to Xbone albeit not cross platform. Being a small developer I'm sure they wanted to focus on the console with the largest install base and ability to have crossplay first.

Hasney

They said they're "tight lipped" on it coming to XB1, which I'm assuming means it will end up there eventually!

It's interesting watching the community get better at this game.

Still a problem with people hitting the ball just because they can. The game needs loading screen pro tips.

Yeah, last 3 days on Rocket League (US-E, 3v3 Standard) has been:

- 3-5 quit at end of match, matchmaking doesnt go into new match
- 1 single tiny goal is scored, and at least 1, sometimes 2, and Ive seen all 3 of the other team drop.
- I've had more goals "epic save!"'d from me... by my own teammates then I'd want on my worst enemy.

Teammates are the worst, but I vastly prefer the 3v3 gametype. When I get teammates that understand that you dont ALWAYS have to hit the ball regardless of angle or what end youre on, and that you dont ALWAYS have to "gotta go fast!", the game is amazing!

Skyzard

Banned
They kinda mentioned they were being intentionally mum about this but as well as this game is doing on both platforms and no sony exclusivity I can see it eventually coming to Xbone albeit not cross platform. Being a small developer I'm sure they wanted to focus on the console with the largest install base and ability to have crossplay first.

They said they're "tight lipped" on it coming to XB1, which I'm assuming means it will end up there eventually!

Makes sense that it will eventually come over and if they're small then to focus on one. Guess they would stay quiet to maximize sales now... Hopefully won't be long.

I recorded a quick clip for the camera settings above, testing with some AI - why do the rookie ones take the ball back to our corner all the time!

https://d.maxfile.ro/mucalelnks.webm

Practicing flying (staying in the air and moving about I mean) in free training with full boost helps you learn to reposition yourself in the air and counteract forces (if you have boost).
Pretty sure I'm onto something with changing drift to Y as well (and L1/B for air rotation) for power sliding...I've used it quite a few times now and it just wouldn't have been possible without the remapping.

Ardenyal

Teammates are the worst

They really are. I was in a ranked 3v3 match which ended up being 3v1 from the start. One minute in and we were down 2-0 because our semi-pro went for every ball just to get a touch. Most his touches went towards our goal and gave the solo warrior a free break away. I had to tell this guy to stay at goal because it was impossible to play with him bouncing the ball in random directions and messing up shots.

The servers seemed much better last night (EU at least). Only one game with some slight lag and it was finding games way quicker.

Getting frustrated with randoms though in ranked with the perpetual quitting after the first goal and the destruction derby style of play of teammates.

If anyone wants to play some ranked add me on PSN Tr1Cky_Tr33. All my current friends playing this only want to play against the AI for some reason.

DBT85

The servers seemed much better last night (EU at least). Only one game with some slight lag and it was finding games way quicker.

Getting frustrated with randoms though in ranked with the perpetual quitting after the first goal and the destruction derby style of play of teammates.

If anyone wants to play some ranked add me on PSN Tr1Cky_Tr33. All my current friends playing this only want to play against the AI for some reason.

Yeah people quitting needs to be resolved in some way. Especially in ranked but ideally all over.

Planet

They really are. I was in a ranked 3v3 match which ended up being 3v1 from the start.
Oh you lucky bastard! The 3vs3 I played yesterday ended up being 5vs1.

Not only my two teammates went harder for the ball (no matter where it goes) than rooky level bots do, not only they often cleared the ball from the enemy goal before I could put it in, not only they scored two completely needless own goals, they did the second one right after I made an epic just-in-time save.

Me: "Yeah, cleared!"
He: "Look! It's da ball, finally found it! Gotta go fast! Funny that hole in the wall right behind it got the same color as my car!!!"

That was the only match I left before it ended. Ever. Less than one minute left on the clock. After I cooled down I regretted not saving the video.

Mabufu

Banned
Yeah people quitting needs to be resolved in some way. Especially in ranked but ideally all over.

I would put one hour of online ban. Hell, the games are 5 minutes long, and anything can happen. Ragequits in this game sign of some severe mental illness.

Don't worry guys, as the skill-based matchmaking improves you'll be matched with fewer idiots. The servers were perfect yesterday. was being matched into ranked 2v2s time and time again with my teammate, and also did a load of streaming (Kronovi shared my channel when I was still fiddling with settings so 2k people watched me fuck everything up haha).

I ended up making that commentary video. It's not really an analysis of my play for reasons explained in the video, so it's just a hello to the RL community. Gaf is mentioned <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nubDzWmlOMQ

Planet

DUqDHmV.gif

Noaloha

I only play this solo, no parties, usually in unranked/3v3, and I find that I tend to begrudgingly back out of lobbies whenever I run into a 3-person party settling in as the opposition. What's the term? Party stomped? I feel kinda bad for ducking out, but I just find that lobby make-up a lot less enjoyable than I do a lobby of 6 solo players rotating around and rematching close games, not to mention I get a palpable sense of "they're all voicechat communicating and your team isn't" etc. It (irrationally) makes the lobby feel less 'fair'. Thing is, I don't think there's a viable solution to the problem. I don't necessarily expect the devs to further segregate playlists by having solo-only / party-only toggles, or putting further load on the matchmaking by staggering solo Vs solo and party Vs party prioritisation.

I'm just gently muttering petty grumbles out loud I guess.

Gumbie

Just stopping by to bitch/vent about people quitting and god-like AI coming in. Was up 5-0 with 2:30 seconds to go. Entire other team quits and gets replaced by AI. Ended up losing 7-5.

After playing a bunch of seasons with my two other friends against pro AI... they are way better than most players online. We were getting super frustrated that we were finishing seasons at ~.500 and sometimes not making the playoffs but once we got online that all went away. It was like we were training in the hyperbolic time chamber all this time.

Iced

Last night I was playing net and this clown from the opposing team kept trying to slam into me. I'd just jump over him and then he'd turn around and try it again. Thing is, he'd be doing this while the action was happening at the other end of the field. This was a 3v3 game, so that left two other players to defend their net. He was literally on me like a fly for the entire match, whenever I was in net (which was often).

Is this a legitimate tactic? It served to bewilder me and slightly piss me off, but outside of that, I cannot figure out what the purpose could have been.

TheFatMan

Anyone know if Psyonix has stated they will fix the 500km trophy?

I have literally every trophy complete in the game already (from just playing), but I don't want to have to do some lame rubber band trick in order to get the last trophy.

Any word on if they plan on letting online matches count towards it?

This game triggers nostalgia from being a kid going out into the street with the neighbors, making a football out of a rock wrapped in newspaper bound by tape and playing 3v3v1 against a wall.

What a wonderful little game.

Anyone know if Psyonix has stated they will fix the 500km trophy?

I have literally every trophy complete in the game already (from just playing), but I don't want to have to do some lame rubber band trick in order to get the last trophy.

Any word on if they plan on letting online matches count towards it?

I was wondering why it said I only travelled 1 mile. That was a strange trophy design choice.

Vitor711

I would put one hour of online ban. Hell, the games are 5 minutes long, and anything can happen. Ragequits in this game sign of some severe mental illness.

That's what I suggested too and it needs to be implemented fast. Heck, if someone DCs more than twice in succession, move the ban up to a whole day just for ranked and force them to play the normal matchmaking.

Also, do people recommend always using the ball cam or not? The amount of times that I've shot over an incoming ball because the camera tilted slightly and screwed up my aim is maddening. Then again, it seems impossible to hit overheads without it when the ball is coming in directly above you and you don't have time to re-position.

Just did my first ranked game. Lost 2-1.

My two teammates, let's see:
- Didn't clear the ball one single time.
- Didn't get any stats - score, assist, or saves, while I had the one score, 3 saves, and many clears.
- Last point for other team wasn't a lucky bounce, it was my teammate, in OT, driving the lane line a young MJ, and slamming the ball home.... for the other team.

Yep, just like unranked. Lol Game is too much fun though, but these randoms...

quest

Not Banned from OT

Completely agree it should be all over. The game is only 5 minutes there is no reason to quit no matter the score. I understand it screws with rank matches the most but it still ruins unranked matches as well. If I wanted to play against bots I would play offline. The game is incredible when I get matched with same level players who don't quit after the first goal. Winning a game with 1 second left or a long epic OT no matter who wins.

mauaus

Had the best ranked game yesterday with a friend 2 vs 2 we we where losing 3 to 4 and scored on the last possible second and went on to win it in OT... THIS GAME!

Lol, played a Solo 3x3 ranked match earlier. The other team scored a fairly lucky goal in the first 10-15 seconds and of course a teammate rage quits. So on the ensuing kickoff we scored on the kickoff and then scored another goal about 20 seconds later and then the other team rage quit and left a dude by himself so it was 2 on 1. People need to calm down on the ranked stuff. You are playing ranked because you want a competition, so don't wuss out on the first goal or two when it is still anybody's game.

Shadybiz

1:30. I played until 1:30 last night. I don't often see that side of midnight. Slowly getting better, but I still miss a few too many easy saves for my liking. I'm about a quarter second off with my jump timing most of the time.

That's what I suggested too and it needs to be implemented fast. Heck, if someone DCs more than twice in succession, move the ban up to a whole day just for ranked and force them to play the normal matchmaking.

Also, do people recommend always using the ball cam or not? The amount of times that I've shot over an incoming ball because the camera tilted slightly and screwed up my aim is maddening. Then again, it seems impossible to hit overheads without it when the ball is coming in directly above you and you don't have time to re-position.

Try to move the camera closer to your vehicle.

As for disconnects, we dont want them in normal matchmaking/playlists either.

Flat out ban them for 6 hours, a day, an entire season (ranked). Screw these people.

Mahonay

Banned
Played for the first time last night. Got together a team with friends...then played for 4 hours straight. Got myself up to level 13.

Jesus I have not been so thoroughly hooked by a game in some time.

I posted the other day that I wish I liked it more and blah blah blah

I listened to the bombcast where brad discussed that you really should do the advanced tutorial, which I didn't know existed

my game has improved dramatically since then. God damn good game they've got here

Me and my wife play 4v4 season together and we may have yelled at eachother a bunch yesterday like it was real sport

I think we should go to 2v2 or 3v3 because Chaos is a good name for that stupid mode

Rocket league is top 5 best game of 2015

I posted the other day that I wish I liked it more and blah blah blah

I listened to the bombcast where brad discussed that you really should do the advanced tutorial, which I didn't know existed

my game has improved dramatically since then. God damn good game they've got here

Me and my wife play 4v4 season together and we may have yelled at eachother a bunch yesterday like it was real sport

I think we should go to 2v2 or 3v3 because Chaos is a good name for that stupid mode

Rocket league is top 5 best game of 2015

My wife just watches and makes fun of me when I miss the ball. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom