• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iced

I'm getting used to switching between the two as needed. I strongly feel that certain scenarios are objectively viewed better with one cam than another, and vice versa. Being able to switch between the two at the press of a button is a godsend, and I'm sure that's why it's mapped to the face buttons by default.

Ravager61

It's not as bad with a super wide fov and other changes but they also make it harder to hit things as you need to zoom yourself out a lot to not get the crappy camera movement in normal cam. It's like any movement shifts the camera super quick. It's peaceful in ball cam mode by comparison.

I'm honestly not sure what you are referring to. The camera stays behind my car at all times in the non-ball cam mode, unless I hit the right stick.

BShadowJ

I've been reading a lot of posts of people saying they are using mostly the ball cam in their games.

In my playing so far, I really think the ball cam is almost useless. The only time I feel like you should be using it is just for a few seconds to get a glimpse of how close the ball is to you when you lose track of it.

Lining up any kind of hit with the ball cam is next to impossible. Sure you can connect but its pointless if you can't hit it where you want it. You'll end up putting the ball in front of your own goal or hitting it back towards your own side more often than not. And as for hitting an airborne ball, the ground indicator is more than sufficient with a little practice.

That's because you're not used to it. I use ball cam 99% of the time and I can line up shots easily with it. Now there are pros and cons for both cameras, but ball cam is far from useless. Heck I think standard (non-ball) cam is stupidly hard to make decent use of, since you lose track of the ball very easily, but well, I am very biased towards ball cam. But trust me, ball cam is anything but useless.

TheDanimal

I'm honestly not sure what you are referring to. The camera stays behind my car at all times in the non-ball cam mode, unless I hit the right stick.
This may not be what he was saying, but for me, the slightest twitch of the car twitches the camera, which makes sense but is less smooth than ball cam. Personally, it just feels... off. I need to practice not using ball cam more though.
That's because you're not used to it. I use ball cam 99% of the time and I can line up shots easily with it. Now there are pros and cons for both cameras, but ball cam is far from useless. Heck I think standard (non-ball) cam is stupidly hard to make decent use of, since you lose track of the ball very easily, but well, I am very biased towards ball cam. But trust me, ball cam is anything but useless.
This is pretty much how I feel too.

Skyzard

Banned

That's the thing..it stays in-line with the car movement completely - it's a fast moving cam unless you zoom it out LOADS. So any slight car movement and the whole screen blurs from the camera moving... maybe it's better with motion blur off...but I like it a lot more with it on otherwise.

Ravager61

I mean, you are right, I'm not used to it but I did try and just felt like it wasn't sufficient for anything for me. As long as you are paying attention, the arrow is more than fine for me to know where the ball is. And like, I said, if I do completely lose track, I just switch to ball cam for a couple seconds to drive towards the ball and then turn it off.

That's the thing..it stays in-line with the car movement completely. So any slight car movement and the whole screen blurs from the camera moving... maybe it's better with motion blur off...but I like it a lot more with it on otherwise.

Hmm, I don't know. Nothing about the default camera feels off to me.

Man, how long does it take to unlock all the items? I've played a ton of games and it seems I'm barely making progress.

Do you have to unlock every item individually for each car frame or something?

Skyzard

Banned

I might need more getting used to it or something. It might just be a visual thing. It only looks like you're turning faster as the camera is moving with you whereas otherwise you'd swing around and the camera would stay locked, you wouldn't even see how far you're spinning...

Might be worth getting used to it, as I know what you mean about lining things up in ball cam.

Thing is, if you whiff the ball, you need to switch back to ball cam to orient yourself and you lose more time. Maybe the switch will be easier with practice.

My experience with ball cam is that it wants to change my camera to look at the ball even when I get super close to it, so whenever I try to hit the ball at an angle it competent screws me up. Definitely prefer tapping it when I lose track then switching it off.

LordofPwn

My skill ranking never gets updated on PS4. Other than that, everything works fine.
whats it stuck at and how many matches have you played and when was the last time you played?

I'd like to add this. Personally, I'd like some kind of team/clan feature more than a tournament, but both together would be peanut butter and jelly.

-I gave a list of accolades and post-match awards I'd like to see, including rewards for ending a tie, forcing a tie, scoring short-handed, etc.

-I think saves and clears are fine. If you aren't getting lots of points for goaltending (there should never be one dedicated goaltender anyway), it just means that your team is playing good offense. Reasonably, you cant expect to get points for not doing anything. that said, epic saves should be bumped from 60 to 75 or 80 IMO. I have a better solution:

Post-match rewards like "best offense" (combined goals, hat tricks, ball centers, and shots on goals), "best defense" (ball clears, saves, epic saves, saviour), and "best wingman" (assists, playmakers, destructions) would really flesh out a good breakdown of playstyles IMO.

-Dedicated ranked mode statistics, separate from the mess of offline/online stats that exist now

-Seeing a friend's car when they join the party

-Seeing the winning team on display after a match (complete with confetti, and medals next to nametags) in combination with the post-game stats. Sort of like the main menu, except you see the winner's cars and the score breakdown. Just makes winning feel special when you have a properly celebrated win screen

-Quit penalties, of course

-More online colours besides orange vs blue
yes to all of this and for online with teams/clans i think you could get away with more colors easily. having "Home and Away" colors
Change your camera settings and that problem goes away.

I like this list

Add in quit penalties (quit 3 times in 30 mins and no online for you for a period of time)
More training modes (defend 3 shots in quick succession for example, and more flying ones)
yes quit penalties, as long as they are doing something about losing when you're short handed in terms of your skill rating. like a quit could be a straight -100 to your skill rating, but if you lose 2 goals to 3 when you're down a person id say your skill level should go up if playing similarly rated opponents. or at least having some better insight into how it's calculated would be nice.

BShadowJ

That's the thing..it stays in-line with the car movement completely - it's a fast moving cam unless you zoom it out LOADS. So any slight car movement and the whole screen blurs from the camera moving... maybe it's better with motion blur off...but I like it a lot more with it on otherwise.

Yeah this is also a thing that makes me think less of the non-ball cam. The movement of the fixed camera is too jarring to me. Maybe it is because I'm not used to it, but it's just too weird for me. Having the ball fixed to the camera makes for a much smoother experience imo.

I mean, you are right, I'm not used to it but I did try and just felt like it wasn't sufficient for anything for me. As long as you are paying attention, the arrow is more than fine for me to know where the ball is. And like, I said, if I do completely lose track, I just switch to ball cam for a couple seconds to drive towards the ball and then turn it off.

Yes there's the arrow to give you the direction, but it doesn't tell you how far it is, nor with how much speed the ball is travelling, and then you can't see whether someone is going for the ball or not... There's just many more uses to having the camera fixed to the ball than not. I'll agree with you that for new players, non-ball camera is probably easier to use, but once you get used to ball cam, I think it's superior all the way.

DJ88

Well obviosuly, that's what you've been using and are used to. Just like ball cam feels off to you but doesn't feel weird at all for us who are used to it. I have no problem lining up shots and hitting them where I want to.

Mentok

Banned
Man, how long does it take to unlock all the items? I've played a ton of games and it seems I'm barely making progress.

Do you have to unlock every item individually for each car frame or something?

I think you have to play around 160ish matches to unlock everything.

I probably wont be playing today :( first day since launch that I will not play. Ima be twitching all day. I need my fix.
I dont think I'm going to play tonight either. First day off for me too. Think I'll have a few brew at the neighbours house. Chances are I'll squeeze in a few games all buzzed before bed though.

Ravager61

I might need more getting used to it or something. It might just be a visual thing. It only looks like you're turning faster as the camera is moving with you whereas otherwise you'd swing around and the camera would stay locked, you wouldn't even see how far you're spinning...

Might be worth getting used to it, as I know what you mean about lining things up in ball cam.

Thing is, if you whiff the ball, you need to switch back to ball cam to orient yourself and you lose more time. Maybe the switch will be easier with practice.

My whole thing is that if I whiff, I still have a vague idea where the ball is behind me. Switching back to ball cam in that situation is too jarring with the controls for it to be useful for me. I just immediately jump pivot to get the ball back in my view or powerslide.

Yes there's the arrow to give you the direction, but it doesn't tell you how far it is, nor with how much speed the ball is travelling, and then you can't see whether someone is going for the ball or not... There's just many more uses to having the camera fixed to the ball than not. I'll agree with you that for new players, non-ball camera is probably easier to use, but once you get used to ball cam, I think it's superior all the way.

I mean, I still disagree. As I said, when the ball is not in my view, I still have a vague idea of where it should be so the distance to me is irrelevant. I think a lot of players just have this mentality that they should be hitting the ball as often as possible which is just not true and I think why some have a preference towards ball cam. Hanging back and waiting for an opportunity is a lot of times the best way to go. As for new players, I personally see it as the opposite and that people will gravitate away from ball cam as they get better. We will see I guess.

Once you get to a certain point, you will be using ball cam almost exclusively. There is no way you can be as effective at playing the game when not constantly looking at the ball. Pretty much the only thing that matters in this game is the ball and your position relative to it. Just stay on ball cam all the time until lining up shots and everything feels natural. I saw tips suggesting that before I even fired up RL for the first time, and from there, I just left the ball cam on all the time and I never use car cam.

Not that the an argument from authority matters when it comes down to user preference, but I haven't watched a single high level stream where they weren't 100% ball cam. The sooner you can rid yourself of the car cam crutch to line up shots, the better.

DBT85

Once you get to a certain point, you will be using ball cam almost exclusively. There is no way you can be as effective at playing the game when not constantly looking at the ball. Pretty much the only thing that matters in this game is the ball and your position relative to it. Just stay on ball cam all the time until lining up shots and everything feels natural. I saw tips suggesting that before I even fired up RL for the first time, and from there, I just left the ball cam on all the time and I never use car cam.

Not that the an argument from authority matters when it comes down to user preference, but I haven't watched a single high level stream where they weren't 100% ball cam.

Yeah I don't change at all any more. I've gotten comfortable enough with the boundaries of the pitch, the boost locations and reversing while manoeuvring that I'm happy not changing.

Still need to work on my game when directly under an air ball though.

Ravager61

I think one of the biggest reasons I'm advocating for people to not use ball cam is that it causes my teammates to run into me constantly because they are looking at the ball and cant see where other players are. That drives me insane. Especially when I'm trying to line something up.

Yeah I don't change at all any more. I've gotten comfortable enough with the boundaries of the pitch, the boost locations and reversing while manoeuvring that I'm happy not changing.

Still need to work on my game when directly under an air ball though.

Setting a larger camera distance has helped me out with this. You get a little bit better view of your car if you set the camera further back.

I think one of the biggest reasons I'm advocating for people to not use ball cam is that it causes my teammates to run into me constantly because they are looking at the ball and cant see where other players are. That drives me insane. Especially when I'm trying to line something up.

I think that has more to do with bad teammates than camera preferences. Without a mini map, there is always going to be a problem with teammate awareness. Sound has been a surprisingly useful for that. A minimap would be great.

hydruxo

Not that the an argument from authority matters when it comes down to user preference, but I haven't watched a single high level stream where they weren't 100% ball cam. The sooner you can rid yourself of the car cam crutch to line up shots, the better.

I've used car cam exclusively since the beta and it's been just fine for me. It's all about what you're used to. Now I'm not saying everyone should use car cam, because in most cases ball cam is ideal for the majority of players. I've actually found that I can line up shots better and react to the ball easier when I use car cam.

BShadowJ

My whole thing is that if I whiff, I still have a vague idea where the ball is behind me. Switching back to ball cam in that situation is too jarring with the controls for it to be useful for me. I just immediately jump pivot to get the ball back in my view or powerslide.

I mean, I still disagree. As I said, when the ball is not in my view, I still have a vague idea of where it should be so the distance to me is irrelevant. I think a lot of players just have this mentality that they should be hitting the ball as often as possible which is just not true and I think why some have a preference towards ball cam. Hanging back and waiting for an opportunity is a lot of times the best way to go. As for new players, I personally see it as the opposite and that people will gravitate away from ball cam as they get better. We will see I guess.

If you only have a "vague" idea of where the ball is, against good players you're gonna get wrecked hardcore. If you whiff the ball, you sure as hell want to know right after where the ball is, and if it gets hit, the exact trajectory of the ball (and if any opponents or teammates are near it) to know what your next move should be. Tons of times I don't go for the ball straight away and get boost first because I see the ball is not going into the goal and the opponents are too far away to do anything with it. Also, when going in reverse (which is also important to learn, you don't need to go forwards all the time), if you don't have ball cam on, I really, really doubt you'll be able to hit the ball (unless you do some hand gymnastics to also hit the L3 button or just swap around the buttons).

If anything, when people get better, they gravitate towards ball cam. From what I remember seeing (which is admittedly not very lately), Kronovi, the best Rocket League player, uses like 80% ball cam and 20% non-ball cam. He pretty much only turns it off to get boost and when he's basically on top of the ball to juggle it. If you use less ball cam than that, I pretty much feel you're purposefully putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Yeah this is also a thing that makes me think less of the non-ball cam. The movement of the fixed camera is too jarring to me. Maybe it is because I'm not used to it, but it's just too weird for me. Having the ball fixed to the camera makes for a much smoother experience imo.

I mainly use free cam and even I think ball cam is the better option, if you can master it. The problem I have (or had, since I haven't really tried overcoming it) is that the movement speed in ball cam will make me dizzy. So I don't want to use it.

Like you've mentioned, in free cam, you have to do a lot of guess work when the ball is not in sight. Now, I've actually gotten better at that what with proper usage of powersliding + throttle for quick turns. I'm finding I can better position myself when need be, but I'm still at a disadvantage compared to ball cam users who essentially have all the info they need always in front of them. If people can get used to ball cam (I also think your car tends to gravitate more easily to the ball in ball cam) and how to hit the ball at angles, you're going to be gold. Reverse maneuvers are also more easy to do in ball cam, where in free cam you have to weigh up the pros and cons of reversing or quickly turning to do something.

It's why I personally would like a pitch radar. I don't think it would help in ball cam mode much, but it'd give me more info in free cam.

Ravager61

If you only have a "vague" idea of where the ball is, against good players you're gonna get wrecked hardcore. If you whiff the ball, you sure as hell want to know right after where the ball is, and if it gets hit, the exact trajectory of the ball (and if any opponents or teammates are near it) to know what your next move should be. Tons of times I don't go for the ball straight away and get boost first because I see the ball is not going into the goal and the opponents are too far away to do anything with it. Also, when going in reverse (which is also important to learn, you don't need to go forwards all the time), if you don't have ball cam on, I really, really doubt you'll be able to hit the ball (unless you do some hand gymnastics to also hit the L3 button or just swap around the buttons).

If anything, when people get better, they gravitate towards ball cam. From what I remember seeing (which is admittedly not very lately), Kronovi, the best Rocket League player, uses like 80% ball cam and 20% non-ball cam. He pretty much only turns it off to get boost and when he's basically on top of the ball to juggle it. If you use less ball cam than that, I pretty much feel you're purposefully putting yourself at a disadvantage.

I don't go for the ball a lot too and just hang back. I don't need ball cam to do that. Reverse is a situation that ball cam is useful, I can agree with that. I do use it for that sometimes. Agree to disagree I guess though. I'm going to continue to use car cam as I have been doing quite well with it.

Are the servers super weird for anyone else right now? Games start out with no lag but quickly fall apart into a warpy mess, but my ping is always showing low.

All of my decisions are based on what the ball is doing, so not looking at it all of the time makes no sense to me. How fast I am going, my angle of attack, if I am going to attempt an aerial, or a bounce aerial, are my teammates in the process of centering the ball. Every decision I am making is relative to the ball.

Collecting boosts in ball cam becomes second nature and you realize how many visual markers there are no the map that help you line up to collect boosts. It isn't like they are randomly placed each map. The only possible downside other than requiring the effort to adapt to ball cam, was mentioned in a post above, of when the ball is directly over you, ball cam is not as good as car cam. Other than being used to car cam, I just see so little advantages. Just keep running tutorials in ball cam and you will quickly forget how you ever played in car cam.

I don't go for the ball a lot too and just hang back. I don't need ball cam to do that. Reverse is a situation that ball cam is useful, I can agree with that. I do use it for that sometimes. Agree to disagree I guess though. I'm going to continue to use car cam as I have been doing quite well with it.
The only problem with this is, I don't always want my car pointed at the ball, but I do want to be looking at it. Using right stick to manually look around has always felt wonky and more trouble than it is worth.

BShadowJ

I mainly use free cam and even I think ball cam is the better option, if you can master it. The problem I have (or had, since I haven't really tried overcoming it) is that the movement speed in ball cam will make me dizzy. So I don't want to use it.

Like you've mentioned, in free cam, you have to do a lot of guess work when the ball is not in sight. Now, I've actually gotten better at that what with proper usage of powersliding + throttle for quick turns. I'm finding I can better position myself when need be, but I'm still at a disadvantage compared to ball cam users who essentially have all the info they need always in front of them. If people can get used to ball cam (I also think your car tends to gravitate more easily to the ball in ball cam) and how to hit the ball at angles, you're going to be gold. Reverse maneuvers are also more easy to do in ball cam, where in free cam you have to weigh up the pros and cons of reversing or quickly turning to do something.

It's why I personally would like a pitch radar. I don't think it would help in ball cam mode much, but it'd give me more info in free cam.

Have you tried changing the camera settings actually? Maybe increasing the camera distance or FOV would alleviate the dizziness.

But yes you did a pretty good summary of why I feel ball camera is superior. It takes more work, certainly, but you'll be a better player just from the fact that you have more information at your disposal.
The radar though... Pretty much would only help people in free cam yeah... but for them I really just want to tell them to use ball cam. x)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So it looks like your rating in ranked is based on your win loss ratio and not what you actually do in the match or how many points you have individually on average. Yeah I really don't like that. It's hard to win games on your own. Seeing my skill rating go down because of terrible teammates despite me playing well in the match doesn't feel good.

Have you tried changing the camera settings actually? Maybe increasing the camera distance or FOV would alleviate the dizziness.

But yes you did a pretty good summary of why I feel ball camera is superior. It takes more work, certainly, but you'll be a better player just from the fact that you have more information at your disposal.
The radar though... Pretty much would only help people in free cam yeah... but for them I really just want to tell them to use ball cam. x)

I've not tried changing settings while in ball cam, I've messed with it in free cam and am comfortable for now (I was getting headaches in free cam at the beginning too). I can't really keep flipping between the two because it messes with car perspective (I end up flipping left when wanting to go right) so I want to try and maximise my free cam potential and if I feel that is still a lot weaker than utilising ball cam, I'll either change and adapt, or unfortunately just play less and less. I kinda have to go off instinct in free cam at times and I actually find that really fun, so I want to stick with it for now.

You know what, this is the ultimate example of a game where I get enraged at my team mates for doing things that I then go on to do.

In other news, though, I got my first aerial goal tonight!

_pUbzV.gif

BShadowJ

I mean, I don't want to be too harsh, but what you're saying is, free cam is good for one particular playstyle, where you coincidentally have the ball in your field of view most of the time.

If you decide to go on the offensive, and the ball gets deflected back to your side of the court or you just straight up miss the ball, what then? There's basically no situation that I can see that you wouldn't (and shouldn't) turn on the ball cam. Multiple things can happen:

1. You miss the ball. Where is the ball now? Is it on the same spot or was it already hit by another player? You probably already have turned on the ball camera by now to know.
2. Ok now it's going back to your court. I need to go back. I should probably get boost though. The nearest one removes the ball from my field of view. How can I be sure I'm safe to grab it? Ball cam.
3. Ok I got in time to defend it, and I shot the ball into the wall. It flew behind me. Is it clear though? Should I go for it or get right back into the goal in position to defend it? Ball cam.

I mean, like I said... I really do feel if you're not using ball cam you're unnecessarily putting yourself at a disadvantage. And it's not like when the ball is in front of you, ball cam changes the perspective that much, so might as well have it always on...

Hasney

Yeah, I'd rather play shit and have regular cam than ball cam. Did it for 3 days in the beta and tonight and it makes the game feel horrible to me like I'd rather be playing anything else.

It's worth mentioning all of the top players use ballcam heavily.

I wasn't a big ballcam user in SARBPC, but I use it about 90% of the time in RL.

Dmonzy

There are certainly some situations that call for regular cam, but I feel ball cam is more efficient in most general cases.

Grinchy

Banned
I genuinely have no idea how anyone could play without ball cam. I use regular cam to line up for boost and rarely I use it to line up a shot. But in those instances, I'm using regular cam for a second or less.

Hasney

Hasney cmon man... Don't do this to me :(

Sorry man, I know it's probably the best way to play to get good, but I feel like the intensity just goes as you have a nice Sunday drive staring and the spherical object floating around. Feels much more hectic to have that camera right on you as you drive for the ball.

BShadowJ

I wasn't a big ballcam user in SARBPC, but I use it about 90% of the time in RL.

Alright pack it up, we got the confirmation straight from a dev here, ball cam = Kronovi tier. x)

Sorry man, I know it's probably the best way to play to get good, but I feel like the intensity just goes as you have a nice Sunday drive staring and the spherical object floating around. Feels much more hectic to have that camera right on you as you drive for the ball.

Noooooooooo!!!
Man if you start using ball cam I promise you'll become super saiyan at this game... I can't let you go into the dark
(blind)
side... :(

Hasney

Noooooooooo!!!
Man if you start using ball cam I promise you'll become super saiyan at this game... I can't let you go into the dark
(blind)
side... :(

Dammit man! For you, I'll try again this weekend.

Not going to text the girlfriend that I'll be looking at ball cam all weekend though. I don't think she'd approve xD

I'm only somewhat familiar with the first game, but weren't most of the arenas different (i.e., not a standard rectangle)? I think it helps in RL that all of the arenas are the same size (as well as the layout of the boost pickups). In real sports, standardized playing fields make it easier to have higher spatial awareness.

For example, I can run around a basketball court while watching the ball (and my man) and have a good idea of where I am on the floor. Same for people who play a lot of soccer/football, hockey, tennis, etc. If I was mostly just looking at where I was going, I would probably miss the play--though you still need to look around or might end up running into other players, same as in RL. No matter which cam a person uses in RL, probably a good idea to use the right stick (and R3 to look behind you) every now and again to keep your head on a swivel.

The best thing about ball cam though is that it makes it easier to see where the ball is going as opposed to just where it is. Once you have a good feel on how the ball moves and bounces off things, you can anticipate where it will be and attack and defend much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom