• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, that's what I want to hear. Looks like the MP playerbase of this game will never die off then. Wonder if the rumored mobile versions will also be compatible.

I can't see the controls transferring well to mobile. It HAS to be a natively-rendered spectator app. Nothing else makes sense to me

aravuus

:/

Thanks for your datamining but tbh, the Buyer Beware is in poor taste.

If the game looks and plays well, just try and work with the developers who are happy to interact with us in this thread than making it seem like their restrictions are causing people to not enjoy the game.

Nah, I've got a 144hz monitor and it's nice to know when I can't take advantage of it

60fps is fine too, though, I'm still buying the game as soon as I get home

e: also yeah where's my 4-pack wtf

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Most of my friend list is playing this game on Steam. RL possee representing.

Shame I won't be able to likely play this until late today or tomorrow morning. I did just get it though. No 4 pack is unfortunate. I'd help gaffers in on that.

SparkTR

That would probably be the case as the chat isn't censored on PC, so it's a surefire way to avoid seeing people with shitty names in-game.

Also, that way you can add everyone you meet on PS4 since you know the ones with names are the other PS4 players.

How does text-chat differ between the two versions? Just plug a KB into the PS4 and it works?

Hasney

How does text-chat differ between the two versions? Just plug a KB into the PS4 and it works?

Yup, or just use the software keyboard and type with the pad. Just hit the touch pad and type away.

There is a bug where chat messages don't go through if you've suspended the game at any point though, either by using a media app or entering rest mode. Closing and re-opening the game fixes it.

EDIT: Pretty sure I can cuss too. One of the quick options is a censored swear which is why you might see a lot of censoring!

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
ProTipp:

As there is no music while in a match (and cant be enabled in options), fire up spotify and let the super awesome soundtrack run while playing!

Looking like it then. Maybe I haven't bumped into anyone on PC yet.

From the devs on Reddit as well. BShadow and Steiner will know the feeling when De Boers joins your match. He just decided to dance on the opposing goal line while he dominated.

https://fat.gfycat.com/PaltryOldCondor.webm

yes, indeed. ill just post what i wrote on reddit:
i was in a 3on3 with one mate and a bot yesterday. 1:30 into the match, de boer joined and replaced the bot, casually scored 8 goals, said gg and left.
It was surreal.

deleted

I'm a bit jealous of the PS4 owners who get this gem with PS+, while we have $=EUR on steam and the game in on neither nuveem nor gmg. And no 4 packs...

Ark

Jesus this game is INCREDIBLE. 101 minutes played and now I have to go to work.

Seriously need to work on my jumping abilities. I tend to just double-dash towards the ball all the time.

So many own goals at this point though. Hahaha, everyone is terrible :D

Hasney

Oh hey, first review.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/07/rocket-league-review-the-beautiful-car-game-5283891/

If you don’t have quite enough friends to go around, either offline or on, then places are filled in automatically by bots, which is something most triple-A multiplayer games don’t even bother to do. In fact you can add as many of them as you want in private matches, as the game does its best to let you play however you want.

SARPBC fans, if there are such people, may be a little disappointed to find that the maps are a lot more simplistic than the original. But that’s apparently because people only used to play the basic Urban one from before. There are still plenty of customisation options for your car though, with 150 options for the 11 cars (which for the PlayStation 4 version includes the Sweet Tooth ice cream van from Twisted Metal).
There’s a very old school feel about Rocket League, from the emphasis on splitscreen multiplayer to the inherent simplicity of the whole concept. That’s not a criticism or caveat though, instead it’s an acknowledgement that this is the sort of thing that gaming needs more of.

You don’t need to like football, cars, or even video games to enjoy Rocket League; you just need to like having fun.

9/10

EDIT: I'll throw a review thread up if no-one called it.

I'm a bit jealous of the PS4 owners who get this gem with PS+, while we have $=EUR on steam and the game in on neither nuveem nor gmg. And no 4 packs...

I downloaded the free PS+ version last night, but the game is so good I bought the Steam-version today just to support the devs. Besides, I will play solo on PC and the PS4-version whenever I have mates over.

This game is digital crack, make no mistake.

rocketleague_2015_07_7ejdj.png
FUCK YEAR

Hasney

I would've sworn that I had some dips/lags night. But could've been a bad connection and I'll try the vsync option. Also omg @ all the graphical settings, more console games need an fov slider.

My first game I did notice what seemed like a lower framerate during the rain, but I can't tell if it was the heavy rain making me think that or not.

Didn't notice it after messing with the camera though so my low camera/max FOV might have been too much with the weather effect at worst.

Steiner84

fps on mannfield at rain seem to be a bit lower, but still prefectly playable.
DFH Stadium for example is rocksolid 60 as far as im concerned.

If you play this game with AI, it feels like one of those games where the other team is really good but your AI is dumb as bricks. My AI team have never scored a goal that wasn't an own goal.

Hasney

If you play this game with AI, it feels like one of those games where the other team is really good but your AI is dumb as bricks. My AI team have never scored a goal that wasn't an own goal.

Have you turned the difficulty of the bots up? They can get fairly good.

Vaga

4-5 match ended with the ball landing right on their goal line, we lost but wasn't even mad. Love this fucking game.

Ark

I really hope this game manages to grab a huge audience on PC. Even with cross play I'd love to see a long-term community.

It really feels like you're better off on your own when facing AI. Literally only ever have AI on my team scoring on themselves like you said.

Steiner84

There were 5000 online about an hour ago on Steam, 1500 in the playlist.

the playlist is what boxes you have ticked.
if there are 5000 people online and you have ticked the boxes for 1on1 and 2on2 and it sais 1500 people in playlist, it means that there are currently 1500 people playing or in matchmaking for 1on1 and 2on2.
so, playlist depends on what you are looking for.
the 5000 should be total people plaing or idling in main menu.

Just played the game for 2 hours, didn't expect to have so much fun. Really looking forward to playing it with some friends in the evening.

Ark

the playlist is what boxes you have ticked.
if there are 5000 people online and you have ticked the boxes for 1on1 and 2on2 and it sais 1500 people in playlist, it means that there are currently 1500 people playing or in matchmaking for 1on1 and 2on2.
so, playlist depends on what you are looking for.
the 5000 should be total people plaing or idling in main menu.

Yeah I figured that was the case, I wasn't sure whether that 5000 number included both Steam and PS4 though.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Hold the FUCK on.

This has four player online splitscreen and bot support? Interest went from zero to through the fucking roof, so happy.

I guess splitscreen is too technically demanding for AAA devs to do.

Ark

Hold the FUCK on.

This has four player online splitscreen and bot support? Interest went from zero to through the fucking roof, so happy.

I guess splitscreen is too technically demanding for AAA devs to do.

Yup! This game is almost perfect. I'm even tempted to pick up a second DS4.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Yup! This game is almost perfect. I'm even tempted to pick up a second DS4.
Both people I live with are gamers so we've had three DS4s since day one (and remote play for when there's a guest). Indies are dominating the local multiplayer space right now: Towerfall, Spelunky, Nidhogg, Helldivers, Sportsfriends and now Rocket League.

It's a shame major pubs have forgotten that the joy of playing with friends forms a far more sentimental attachment to a game than online as they strip away features to chase the esports dream. Only Nintendo seems to remember that games are meant to be shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom