• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calabi

They are doing something about quitters. The only thing I can think for uneven teams would be to not have the outcome affect your rank.

I lost 7-1 the other day after my team mate quit at 2-0.

But then I had another match yesterday where the same thing happened and I beat them 5-4. Lol. I kept getting the ball into the area just in front of goal and they kept scoring own goals when trying to clear.

So much fun either way.

I've also set my video recording to be 1 minute rather than the standard 15 so I can easily find my random moments of foolishness or awesomeness to add to my video collection!

Need a theme for the editor though.

I think we should have a wishlist running
  1. Stop the quitters
  2. Theme for Share Factory
  3. Go direct from ranked to ranked without quitting to menu

If you save the replay in game, then you can choose your camera angles after the fact and the file size is probably smaller.

jiggles

Banned
Pulled off this save last night. I swear, the amount of incredible moments this game delivers is just nuts.

rl.gifsromk.gif

Linius

Those kind of saves are very satisfying.

It's either that or a nice aerial goal. Even if it doesn't count as an aerial. Yesterday I flew inside my opponent's box from the midway line and smashed the ball in to goal. The ball was too low for it to be an aerial goal, but that moment of euphoria was so good.

Go in to 2v2 ranked...garbage teammate. Sits AFK for first goal. Plays poorly after that, I get us back in the game. Tied 2-2. He then does a awful own goal. I give him a, "WOW" on chat. So he just holds still the next two kick offs in protest. Finally the wanker leaves, and I nearly clawed back a 1v2 win, but it was too much and I lost.

Anytime this happens, I go back to un-ranked for some more practice, and I feel like I get paired with good 2v2 teammates, so I figure, ok maybe back to ranked! As soon as I solo queue in ranked 2v2, the game scrapes the bottom of the barrel and gives me players who retreat to defense when they are in the front boosting position for kick off. Ugh. I guess I should just stop solo queuing for 2v2. I am definitely seeing the appeal of 1v1 and 2v2 game modes. They are intense and matches can turn on a dime.

I actually won a 1 vs 2 game yesterday, but the guys I was playing absolutely sucked balls. One of my goals (I won about 4-1) was straight frm the kickoff - they decided to both play in goal and neither saved it.

dralla

I actually won a 1 vs 2 game yesterday, but the guys I was playing absolutely sucked balls. One of my goals (I won about 4-1) was straight frm the kickoff - they decided to both play in goal and neither saved it.

I had something like this happen yesterday. We were down one goal with only a little time left. All three people on the other team stayed in the goal at kickoff, I shot it right over their heads. I lol'd

Man, got this game yesterday and it's amazingly fun with friends. Got so pissed when I forgot to save a replay from a game we were losing 4-0 and ended up winning 4-6... I was praying that it would feature something like Dota 2 where it would allow me to watch my past games, but oh well...

Ace001

I had something like this happen yesterday. We were down one goal with only a little time left. All three people on the other team stayed in the goal at kickoff, I shot it right over their heads. I lol'd

Maybe I was in that game. I saw the same thing happen :)

How do I play with a friend? Is the only way to make a party? I really just want the trophy

Xater

I had a slightly different experience this weekend. It was a 2v2 and my team was behind 3-0. Then m partner left the game and I ended up playing way better without him. Sadly didn't win, but it ended up being 5-3.

The quitting is getting really bad. I had a game where we scored the first goal about a minute into the match and all 3 members of the other team quit out. Come one, 4 minutes is plenty of time to come back from being 1 goal down.

I think they should have locked some stuff behind challenges. Like seeing 500 matches through to completion gets you a nice golden hat or something. Might encourage people to stay even if they're losing.

Also starting to get annoyed with the team mates who hit the ball any direction just because they can. Like if I've got a clear shot lined up on the goal and they boost in and hit it towards our goal because 'lol why not?'. Loving the game, just think the community needs to settle down a bit.

Haunted

I think this is one of those rare games where I don't mind losing because the act of simply playing the game itself is so much fun.

There's never a time where I was mad at bad teammates (because that means that hey, I'm the best player on the team, feels good) or at great teammates (because that means that hey, I might learn something from these badasses) all while having fun actually playing the game.

Maybe that mindset will change as I'm playing more and getting better, but for now, it's all good.

I wish you could enable an automatic, "Would you like to save your replay" prompt at the end of each match. That way you have to decline if you don't want to save it, but will be thankful of the reminder for those matches you are so charged up you forget to save you killer highlights.

The quitting is getting really bad. I had a game where we scored the first goal about a minute into the match and all 3 members of the other team quit out. Come one, 4 minutes is plenty of time to come back from being 1 goal down.

I think they should have locked some stuff behind challenges. Like seeing 500 matches through to completion gets you a nice golden hat or something. Might encourage people to stay even if they're losing.

Also starting to get annoyed with the team mates who hit the ball any direction just because they can. Like if I've got a clear shot lined up on the goal and they boost in and hit it towards our goal because 'lol why not?'. Loving the game, just think the community needs to settle down a bit.

I've often been paired up with someone that just goes full pelt at everything, including myself, so I might have a save lined up and they will just smash me to the back of the goal while missing the ball!

Vitor711

So, is there a specific car that people use the most? Because I like the look of the book trucks, but cars with low clearance end up knocking me into the sky when I contest kick off.

Now I settled for something smaller, and while it's harder to hit aerials due to my diminished size, I also can't score from kick-off. The car's curve means that It will ALWAYS hit the top crossbar from a sprint start.

Just can't seem to find something that I'm happy with more than just visually.

Reedirect

Man, scoring an aerial goal feels amazing. Especially when I'm usually super terrible at even hitting the ball when I'm driving up the walls.

Haunted

People joke that Rocket League is football with cars, but this sort of behaviour actually mirrors pretty much exactly how beginners (well, young children, 4-6) do approach their first games of football with other children the same age.

Everyone just running after the ball and trying to hit it any way they can. :lol

DarkTom

People joke that Rocket League is football with cars, but this sort of behaviour actually mirrors pretty much exactly how beginners (well, young children, 4-6) do approach their first games of football with other children the same age.

Everyone just running after the ball and trying to hit it any way they can. :lol

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

It's true! Truth be told I was the same at the start, but my 3v3 rank has dropped from the 600's to around 300 now because while I seem to have gotten better, the people I get paired with seem to still be playing the game for the first time. The worst is people who say they're 'Defending' then rush to the kick off.

But anyway, I'm just venting. The game itself is great, which is the main thing.

I really think people who never watched soccer, but are playing a ton of Rocket League, are going to find themselves with a more appreciative view of soccer the next time they watch it. Will they love it and will it make the shitty parts of soccer less shitty...no. But I do think RL highlights some fundamental aspects of what makes soccer a fantastic sport.

Juicy Bob

When I was in school, my PE teacher told us during one of our football lessons: "if you want the ball, keep away from it and it will come to you."

I find that is a good philosophy to abide by in this game.

Late Flag

My son and I took turns playing online this weekend, and while the amount of quitting is insane -- why quit when you fall behind 0-1 early on? -- the AI replacements are often better than the quitter. Maybe that's a function of playing with randoms.

Hasney

I think people treat non-ranked like TF2 or something. Play until you want to do something else and it's no big deal if they drop out because they game will find a replacement.

Absolutely in love with this game right now. Easy to learn, hard to master. Really enjoy the competitiveness and sportsmanship all around. Have only ran into 1 or 2 bad eggs. Some changes that need to happen:

1. Drop-in/drop-out (AI is either too dumb or too OP depending on the match)
2. Carry my party to the main menu with me at the end of games
3. I'm not sure about region locking the servers since some of my friends are in other countries, but the lag is sometimes ridiculous on the US-East and US-West servers.

Regardless, this is just pure fun all around. I can only hope that this game has a long and populated lifespan.

membran

My son and I took turns playing online this weekend, and while the amount of quitting is insane -- why quit when you fall behind 0-1 early on? -- the AI replacements are often better than the quitter. Maybe that's a function of playing with randoms.

The replacement AI is crazy good at taking pot shots from long range out of the blue, always lobbing shots straight at the goal. Often catches the enemy team off guard if they have no one actively defending the goal.

SomTervo

When I was in school, my PE teacher told us during one of our football lessons: "if you want the ball, keep away from it and it will come to you."

I find that is a good philosophy to abide by in this game.

Very nice, and probably the reason for 80% of my goals.

I'm not saying there aren't players like this, but there aren't as many as you think.

I've been playing a lot of goal so can see the entire field frequently...and you'd be surprised how many times something like this is caused by the player's perspective of what's going on, by being nudged by an enemy, or even by lag.

Yesterday was a bad day for the salt though. So many whiners. The "How dare you screw up my perfect play?" crowd. The "I rule you guys all suck" crowd. The Trash-talkers. The mockers.

At some point I just have to roll my eyes. I don't really understand trash talking anyway, but trash talking in Random games? What does that accomplish?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Downloaded this on PS4 and it is a load of fun. Two issues I have are the camera and controls. Camera is awkward at times when trying to watch the ball. Controls are awkward too usually when trying to defend. I speed right up and try to stop the ball but there's just no way to accurately control it. Maybe I need to spend more time figuring it out.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

Yes it pisses me off. I make these great crosses and then there is nobody there to receive them because my team is following me the ball like a bunch of 4 year olds in their first soccer match.

Its embarrassing for them and infuriating for me.

I think I got banned from chat for repeatedly saying Seperate... and mediocre... lol

Downloaded this on PS4 and it is a load of fun. Two issues I have are the camera and controls. Camera is awkward at times when trying to watch the ball. Controls are awkward too usually when trying to defend. I speed right up and try to stop the ball but there's just no way to accurately control it. Maybe I need to spend more time figuring it out.

You'll get used to it. Majority of the people when they start try to drive at the ball too hard and end up missing or hitting it too hard. Game rewards patience, but that is not to see their is not big rewards when taking risks either.

This game is all I can think about right now. Such an amazing game, looking forward to the new map that is supposed to release this month and any other DLC. This is a home run and deserves it's success. Hopefully more broadcasted tournaments will show up, this is a great spectator sport as well.

Unicorn

Has this game been crashing for anyone else? My game has crashed three times today under circumstances I really can't identify.

four times, absolutely spontaneous.
There's a pinned topic on the Steam forums about it. I've had about 5 crashes on my Surface.

Also, getting to rank 10 was super fast, but to 20 is a slog. I just want out of rookie he'll so I can get better with people that play smarter.

I played for about 10 hours yesterday. Dreamed about this shit.

Fbh

Finally got to play some more 1vs1 ranked yesterday. Reached 400 skill level.
Only lost 2 matches, one was a very close one were my oponend socre in the last 10 seconds (ended 3-2), and then another one I was destroyed by some guy that was just way beyond my level

Pakesaker

Can someone explain the ranking system to me? I've had trouble finding somewhere that definitively explains how it works. I've been playing and improving but would like some perspective on how I'm doing. Rating is hovering around 700 at the moment.

Steel

Banned
Last night.... Had a fucking game last 2 hours, both teams had perfect goalies and it was 0-0 till the end. They really need to put a time limit on overtime and allow for legit ties.

slash3584

Last night.... Had a fucking game last 2 hours, both teams had perfect goalies and it was 0-0 till the end. They really need to put a time limit on overtime and allow for legit ties.

Holy fuck that replay surely would fill a standard PS4 HDD XD.

The Cowboy

I think it should have an overtime sudden death, make it so standard overtime lasts 2mins 30 seconds and if no goal has been scored just do a craziness multiball overtime for 1 minute - make it so those training ball cannons appear around the pitch and start spawning balls for 60 seconds, whoever scores 1st wins :D.

But barring doing that, i do think a time limit should be on overtime at around half the normal match time - if no goals are scored during overtime each team gets half the points of a win and its over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom