• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMC

Woohoo! The Rocket League Beta Montage with NeoGAF is our first 10K video!

11728879_857159657672188_2721514548438606844_o.jpg

Wow! Awesome! We need to get some games in this week xeno. I feel like I haven't played with you in ages.

Last night.... Had a fucking game last 2 hours, both teams had perfect goalies and it was 0-0 till the end. They really need to put a time limit on overtime and allow for legit ties.

Wow, Another solution that would make for an insane overtime is no respawn after being destroyed. Dynamics would totally change because of that, but would add a layer of intensity to overtime.

Wow! Awesome! We need to get some games in this week xeno. I feel like I haven't played with you in ages.
I'm down. Ray and I need to practice as we are trying to schedule our GAF tournament match with blahoholics either Tuesday or Wednesday. Before, after, and/or day of works!

I guess the Virtuoso achievement's broken on PC or something and I'm the only person who has it, so I'm getting a bunch of questions asking how I unlocked it.

Guess nobody knows about Steam Achievement Manager. :/

Got tired of the distance achievement not tracking my progress, being the only achievement I had left after like 70 hours of playing, so I cheated to unlock that and Virtuoso.

DBT85

Still can't get my rating into the 190s let alone 200. I have a few decent games, get to about 180 and then have 2 or 3 bad ones and drop back down to 75 lol.

Still getting better and still shit when the ball us on top of me. Always jump just a bit too soon.

Last night.... Had a fucking game last 2 hours, both teams had perfect goalies and it was 0-0 till the end. They really need to put a time limit on overtime and allow for legit ties.

Destroy the keeper.

Pepiope

I think it should have an overtime sudden death, make it so standard overtime lasts 2mins 30 seconds and if no goal has been scored just do a craziness multiball overtime for 1 minute - make it so those training ball cannons appear around the pitch and start spawning balls for 60 seconds, whoever scores 1st wins :D.

But barring doing that, i do think a time limit should be on overtime at around half the normal match time - if no goals are scored during overtime each team gets half the points of a win and its over.
You could have a shootout after the time runs out in OT to declare a winner.

Wait, was there a dedicated pitch for the beta that isn't in the full game? - that one looks a lot more rounded (or is that just the FOV doing that?).
Are you talking about thy initial match kick off? I don't recall anything being too different and yes, I tend to play with wide FOV and such, though not sure about in that video.

Shikoba

I never play sports games, or watch sports for that matter, but this game has been a blast to play. There is something really awesome about a well placed goal that was set up nicely, or making that last second save defending your goal for that Epic Save. Never thought I'd say these things about a soccer/football game. Guess it's like someone mentioned that some appreciation of the sport will come from this. Maybe I should give a Fifa game a try at some point.

Sullichin

Bots are the worst thing about this game. Multiple doubles games where there's a bot on the other team doing all the work, and they have a tendency to punish any slight mistake with a goal from across the court. Not fun going 0-7 to fucking Foamer. Ugh! It's better than fighting a team a man down but still.

The Cowboy

Are you talking about thy initial match kick off? I don't recall anything being too different and yes, I tend to play with wide FOV and such, though not sure about in that video.

I'm talking about the stadium in the beta montage, I'm pretty sure its just the FOV making it look different to me - it looks very round due to it and it threw me off n which stadium it is/was.

Ocho

Do you guys think a 3 man team should have a dedicated goalie or everyone should goalie during a match depending on the situation?

Do you guys think a 3 man team should have a dedicated goalie or everyone should goalie during a match depending on the situation?

Depends on the situation. If the ball is at the opponent's goal I like the goalie playing a sweeper position with another player (usually whoever hits it out of the corner) dropping back to sweep in case the ball comes back. It's hard to organize that unless you're playing with people you know.

Ocho

Depends on the situation. If the ball is at the opponent's goal I like the goalie playing a sweeper position with another player (usually whoever hits it out of the corner) dropping back to sweep in case the ball comes back. It's hard to organize that unless you're playing with people you know.

I have a dedicated group of friends who I play with and can coordinate, but lately I've seen more and more dedicated goalies (who tend to be pretty good defending) and I'm not sure if rotating goalie per the situation works best. I guess it should, eventually, when we get better.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst

I think the unsaid rule is whoever spawns closest to goal should defend.

But I hate it when someone just sits inside the goal the entire match. Come forward to clear and take shots, especially if someone manages a real floaty centered ball.

DBT85

Another potato team mate. Attacking balls I'm already on and not defending the goal when I'm the one in the corner. Also he just gave up when it was 4-2 so we lost 8-2.

Grrrr.

I have a dedicated group of friends who I play with and can coordinate, but lately I've seen more and more dedicated goalies (who tend to be pretty good defending) and I'm not sure if rotating goalie per the situation works best. I guess it should, eventually, when we get better.

Honestly I love when the other team has a dedicated goalie because that makes it a 3 on 2 situation whenever they rush the net. Much easier to manage.

Pepiope

Another potato team mate. Attacking balls I'm already on and not defending the goal when I'm the one in the corner. Also he just gave up when it was 4-2 so we lost 8-2.

Grrrr.
Those teammates are the worse. I could be right there in position to hit the ball and my teammate will just follow behind me rather than try to judge where I'll hit the ball. Feels like a 3 v 1 sometimes.

Honestly I love when the other team has a dedicated goalie because that makes it a 3 on 2 situation whenever they rush the net. Much easier to manage.
Also this. The 3v2 isn't worth it when you can get back to the goal in 3-4 flips.

dralla

One person should always hang back. They don't have to be in the goal at all times, but leaving the net completely open is a huge mistake and guarantees a loss.

One person should always hang back. They don't have to be in the goal at all times, but leaving the net completely open is a huge mistake and guarantees a loss.

Most people generally do not hang back, so I feel I must do so.

You're right, if that is not done, you are probably going to lose.

nicolajNN

Personally I'm not sure there's a right answer this kind of question. It all depends on the team. In a perfect world I guess it would be best if everyone could do everything well and switch positions seamlessly, unfortunately that's rarely the case. If someone on your team is better or more comfortable playing more defensively there's nothing wrong with him playing that way, if it works for your team that's great, conversely if someone is not great at goalie you might want to limit the time where he's the last line of defence.

I will say though, having the goalie staying at the goal-line almost all the time, is a bad idea, the goalie does need to move up near midfield if the ball is on the other half

The most frustrating thing is when people want to play "keeper" yet they are in the front kick off position and then they reverse back to goal where the back person already is. Your starting position should dictate your first few seconds of play. Just because you quick chat "defending" doesn't make it a good idea. I have faced plenty of good keepers, but in 3v3 and 4v4, they never save all the shots, but we are able to clear our lines so much easier and dominate the midfield so personally I don't see the point of a dedicated keeper, as in staying in the goal the entire match. A good sweeper keeper player can be incredibly effective, especially if they can bust out a midfield aerial.

Whenever I play as a dedicated goalie I'll always advance to mid field when the ball is on the other side. Knock back easy balls and maybe get that perfectly lined up shot. I can get back to the goal faster than the ball in two backflips if I need to. But you definitely don't want to get in a position where everyone is way up field then all of a sudden the ball gets behind everyone.

Sevenfold

You'll get used to it. Majority of the people when they start try to drive at the ball too hard and end up missing or hitting it too hard. Game rewards patience, but that is not to see their is not big rewards when taking risks either.

This game is all I can think about right now. Such an amazing game, looking forward to the new map that is supposed to release this month and any other DLC. This is a home run and deserves it's success. Hopefully more broadcasted tournaments will show up, this is a great spectator sport as well.

I can't put it down. I've never been so animated playing a video game. Semi pro and 90% of games are really close. Considering there's only boost jump and handbrake there's a lot going on with the controls. The game rewards finesse and when it comes together oh man it's glorious ha ha

nicolajNN

You know how some people when playing driving games use the controller as a steering wheel? I haven't done that in a long time, but I've realised that this game has made me do it again, except instead of just 2-dimensional side-to-side, it's 3-dimensional, like when I do front flips and especially aerial ones or when fighting to get to a ball first, I thrust my hands and controller forward like an idiot

Has the no penalty for quitting been fixed? I thought it was weird to allow people to quit ranked matches with no penalty so decided to test it (My 2 teammates had already quit with the first 30seconds probably due to fucking brutal lag, I held out until the last few seconds despite the other team constantly telling me to just quit).

I dropped from ~810 to ~730. I think the messed up thing is really losing that much rank for getting beat/quitting when the lag is that horrific and the game is 3 on 1.

Has the no penalty for quitting been fixed? I thought it was weird to allow people to quit ranked matches with no penalty so decided to test it (My 2 teammates had already quit with the first 30seconds probably due to fucking brutal lag, I held out until the last few seconds despite the other team constantly telling me to just quit).

I dropped from ~810 to ~730. I think the messed up thing is really losing that much rank for getting beat/quitting when the lag is that horrific and the game is 3 on 1.
Unfortunately, more needs to be done with quitters. There's too many of them, regardless of reason. Maybe they can figure out something for connection issues...

AwShucks

This is completely not true. Most games I've played in nobody is staying near the goal on either side to be honest. And I'm certainly not losing every game.

Unfortunately, more needs to be done with quitters. There's too many of them, regardless of reason. Maybe they can figure out something for connection issues...

Oh I agree it needs to be done (and I think the absolute minimum is the same rank loss that you would take from losing the match), I had just read a lot of people here saying that you don't take a hit from quitting when you do. Perpetuating the idea that you don't probably encourages more people to quit.

The game 100% needs something to account for ranked matches where the cars and balls are rubberbanding all over the place though.

This is completely not true. Most games I've played in nobody is staying near the goal on either side to be honest. And I'm certainly not losing every game.

maybe because nobody is staying near the goal on either side?

Traffcore

Fellow Rocket League players. Are there a definitive answer on the Far, far away trophy. Does the online miles counts towards the total even though it is not shown in the tire stats? Or is the online solution offline play?

LakeEarth

Last night I was losing 5-1 with 1:30 left to go, my partner drops out and is replaced by AI... I win 6-5 in overtime. Although I did score most of those goals, the AI can get a bit out of hand sometimes.

dralla

Of course. If both times are leaving the net open it doesn't matter. Play against a semi-organized team and leave your net open and you'll get crushed.

Awesome 2v2 with cr_blah_blah tonight. He's a great sport for putting up with my drunkeness, but we actually did pretty well all things considered

That was so much fun. Anytime you want to do it again let me know. We only ended up losing a handful, which is always nice. And we humiliated other teams, which is even better I say.

TMC

I'm down. Ray and I need to practice as we are trying to schedule our GAF tournament match with blahoholics either Tuesday or Wednesday. Before, after, and/or day of works!

I'm sure I will be on some nights during the week. Trying to schedule my match with a team based on the UK which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Fellow Rocket League players. Are there a definitive answer on the Far, far away trophy. Does the online miles counts towards the total even though it is not shown in the tire stats? Or is the online solution offline play?
At the moment the trophy is glitched, but in a good way. You dont have to travel 500 km, only about 70-80 km but it has to be with the same set of wheels.

Just start a 1v1 exhibition match with no bots and use two rubberbands on your controller. One for the R2 button and one for the left stick.

Two sessions of about 4-5 hours of leaving the game running did the trick for me.

TMC

At the moment the trophy is glitched, but in a good way. You dont have to travel 500 km, only about 70-80 km but it has to be with the same set of wheels.

Just start a 1v1 exhibition match with no bots and use two rubberbands on your controller. One for the R2 button and one for the left stick.

Two sessions of about 4-5 hours of leaving the game running did the trick for me.

You actually are still traveling 500km. My trophy popped when my 'Recent Activities' showed that I just passed 500km. Its just that the stats aren't reported properly in game. My game had something like 60-80km when it popped.

LAM09

I hope the 500km issue is resolved in an upcoming patch. Not only is it impossible to keep track of how much you have driven so far, but it only applies to offline play as well.

LordofPwn

idk why people do this. i got that trophy before i unlocked everything. if you play seasons with the same tire you'll get both trophies at around the same time. i think i had 60 miles on the tomahawk tire when i got the trophy and you need to play like 160 some matches to unlock everything. just enjoy the game and you'll get the trophies naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom