• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoolyNinja

This game is fantastic! I've played about 15 ranked matches now and I'm surprised at how balanced and approachable this game is. Even my friends who don't normally like sports games are loving this game!

I also think being a PS+ game is the best case scenario for the company. They get money for being a PS+, and now they probably have a good deal more fans/supporters going forward.

Is anyone else experiencing strange lag? I never had a problem until last night where i'd be in a match and my car would start jittering and sharply jumping back and forth real quick. The ball some times does the same thing. It even disappears and reappears, even though on the same trajectory. My ping is always green too so I don't know why this is happening. It's barley playable since I cant really line anything up.
Lag for me last night was like that and prevalent in all the matches I played. Usually it's no problem, as I stick to US-East.

Not that I condone or would do such a protest in-game myself, I still can't stand when people say assholey sarcastic things like that for what accounts to honest mistakes. I hate when online game communities are snarky and bitchy for no good reason. This game of all should be welcoming and fun for anyone involved. Plus it's still fresh and everyone is learning the ropes.

I guess I'm just a carebear

Sitting AFK for two goals, and then very deliberately (or full on brain dead) dribbling the ball halfway across the map in to our own goal is being an asshole. Saying, "wow" after a player basically sabotages a ranked match right before he quits, is hardly the "asshole-ish" part of this scenario. I am one of the most complimentary people with quick chat. I am the first to say "nice shot" when even the other team scores a beauty.

Edit: The quick chat really needs a, "Haha" or "LOL" option. So many times I want to convey a sense of levity but it doesn't work with, "wow" or "omg"

There's nothing friendly about it from randoms.

And it's bad enough how awful I feel when I screw up and score an own-goal or miss an easy save, I don't need random people I don't know piling on.

If it's actual friends then that's totally different of course.

If I fuck up with a bad save or an own goal I'm the one that says "nice shot" or "nice save"

I get on top of that shit before anyone else does and it tells the other people you aren't really bothered about it, but you are I guess.

Kumquat

This game blind sided me and is SO MUCH FUN!

Add me on PSN Kumquatv1 so we can play with balls...

Wait...

I'll be going now.

Dr Prob

Banned
Joined a ranked 3v3 match last night and our team started out really strong; great teamwork/spacing/setups, lots of positive back and forth in the chat box, just a nice vibe. Apparently someone on the other team thought we were rubbing it in or something and flipped out. "talk **** wen u win" etc. Seemingly powered by the salt this guy had conjured up from thin air, the other team actually came back and sent the game into overtime, where we scored like five seconds in and proceeded to give that dude a nonstop stream of quick-chat nonsense through the replay/until he left.

30 for 30 material.

That weird lag last night was terribad. I had to stop playing.

I need to work on my footwork and ball control. I'm alright with controlling the ball and its direction, but I'm having a hard time estimating the height of the ball and usually end up making bad judgements and missing it completely. I also have a hard time getting under it with the ball cam on. Any advice?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I came in already down on it because cross platform play was stupid so I was forced to play on PS4. Then after a few matches I just kinda felt a bored. I started ramping off the goal to see how far I could slide upside down while spinning around. That was actually pretty fun.

DLaicH

I started ramping off the goal to see how far I could slide upside down while spinning around. That was actually pretty fun.

If you enjoy that, go into free play mode (where you have unlimited boost), flip onto your back, and just keep moving yourself around using only the boost.

sackninja

Anyone in Eu want to play some time... don't have any friends who own the game. Add me on psn - pokersean. Just write neogaf in the message to make sure I know it's someone form here.

Is this the typical evolution?
- i suck at this, i must be missing something
- ok everyone else is also just flailing around
- holy shit i touched the ball
- Goddamn i just scored, that was a fluke
- im just going to stay in the centre field and wait
- omg my 20th hail mary shot just went in
- epic saves and in the air goals
- scored on my own net again

Totally normal, some days I destroy everything with aerials and then a day later Im back at making own goals.

Two things. All the things that each item tracks don't seem to be working for me. Is it only tracking in Season mode or what?. Also, in the main menu I am still seeing the "you are offline" message. How do I sign in to get rid of that?

Last night.... Had a fucking game last 2 hours, both teams had perfect goalies and it was 0-0 till the end. They really need to put a time limit on overtime and allow for legit ties.

This sounds insane. Did you save the replay or have footage? I'd love to view it

I think it should have an overtime sudden death, make it so standard overtime lasts 2mins 30 seconds and if no goal has been scored just do a craziness multiball overtime for 1 minute - make it so those training ball cannons appear around the pitch and start spawning balls for 60 seconds, whoever scores 1st wins :D.

But barring doing that, i do think a time limit should be on overtime at around half the normal match time - if no goals are scored during overtime each team gets half the points of a win and its over.

I for one love how Overtime has no time limit.

Anything crazy like multiballs would kill the competitive nature of the game.

-------

When are we getting that trailer for the next patch/DLC? I'm sooooo excited for a proper patch and to see the next map. One thing I am hoping for is a way to eliminate laggy matchmaking. Should there be persistent lag in a match, especially in ranked, the game should automatically end the game and redo matchmaking. I played a very laggy 1v1 against a rookie no less, and I just ended up teaching him how to fly and let him have the win.

By the way, since the 500 KM trophy seems to be tracked through PS4's activity feed...will we be rewarded retroactively?

Kumquat

Them feels when you make the critical own goal and want to die.

Also them feels when you go hero mode, put the team on your back and save the day.

I mostly play ranked 3 on 3 and stay back for defense and opportunistic fly ins. I would like to play forward a bit more but I can't rely on my teammates to not rush forward into the melee and then leave the goal open for a 5 MPH hail mary.

Two things. All the things that each item tracks don't seem to be working for me. Is it only tracking in Season mode or what?. Also, in the main menu I am still seeing the "you are offline" message. How do I sign in to get rid of that?

Item stat tracking for online is currently bugged but being fixed in the next patch (tentatively releasing next week). It just says it's offline but it's not. I think they turned the ticker off or something.

Oh god, this is so true. Glad to see I'm not the only one

LordofPwn

Last night I was playing 2v2 with a friend who had never played before. The opposing team scored to make it 3-0 with 15 seconds to play. Game over, right? Within a few seconds of kick-off I managed to squeeze one in for a nice moral victory goal, or so I thought. 12 seconds to play. The ball bounces around a few times and somehow squeezes through both opposing players, giving me an open shot. I score with 1 second left on the clock. I take off towards the ball on kick off and nail it full speed without jumping, and for some reason neither of our opponents challenged for it! The ball nails the top corner and ties the game 3-3. After a solid 3 minutes of OT I finally force a cross into the middle and my friend finishes it off for his first ever RL goal.

Pretty incredible feeling, to say the least!
post video! i want to see

sounds about right

Cardon

Yup, that's basically my routine as well. Usually goes the full gamut of missing potential goals like a fool, only to then do a critical save and then score a crazy shot in a victory. Then it all comes crumbling down with a 0-7 loss in the next match.

dralla

I started talking to this girl who I met on an online dating site, she brought up Rocket League. She came over and played on Sunday. Thank you, Psyonix bros

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Technically AI could be better than the people you match made with.
But how is that worse than being put in a 2v3 match or worse? Punishing the team that had a rage quitter or jus had a disconnection is no better than maybe, and I stress maybe, rewarding that team by giving them the slight advantage of an AI better than the other players. Besides I find Pro AI to be competent but not amazing. If I'm playing against an AI I don't feel at a disadvantage compared to decent human players.

In other news I got my first holy shit 0 sconds left goal. We were 2-0 down with less than a minute to go. Equalised with 14 seconds left. Then the clock hit zero and the ball was still in the air for a while. Managed to get a hit on it and score. The other team were not happy they threw away the game lime that. It was awesome.

Xater

Just got my platinum in this thanks to rubber bands. :p

But how is that worse than being put in a 2v3 match or worse? Punishing the team that had a rage quitter or jus had a disconnection is no better than maybe, and I stress maybe, rewarding that team by giving them the slight advantage of an AI better than the other players. Besides I find Pro AI to be competent but not amazing. If I'm playing against an AI I don't feel at a disadvantage compared to decent human players.

But not everyone is decent. If you don't want to deal with that don't play ranked.

Steel

Banned
http://steamspy.com/app/252950

still selling ~40k a day?! almost 300k on STEAM

About $6 million gross. Goddamn

I wonder how much they got for the PS+ deal on top of that.

This sounds insane. Did you save the replay or have footage? I'd love to view it

I for one love how Overtime has no time limit.

Anything crazy like multiballs would kill the competitive nature of the game.

I didn't even think of saving the replay. Probably wouldn't even fit on what's left of my PS4's hardrive. Honestly, by the end of it me and my friends were almost thinking about scoring for them it took so damn long. I just flicked my PS4 off immediately after the game ended.

Hilarious thing is the game beforehand was against the same team and we won by a decent margin.

Last night I was playing 2v2 with a friend who had never played before. The opposing team scored to make it 3-0 with 15 seconds to play. Game over, right? Within a few seconds of kick-off I managed to squeeze one in for a nice moral victory goal, or so I thought. 12 seconds to play. The ball bounces around a few times and somehow squeezes through both opposing players, giving me an open shot. I score with 1 second left on the clock. I take off towards the ball on kick off and nail it full speed without jumping, and for some reason neither of our opponents challenged for it! The ball nails the top corner and ties the game 3-3. After a solid 3 minutes of OT I finally force a cross into the middle and my friend finishes it off for his first ever RL goal.

Pretty incredible feeling, to say the least!

That is awesome man!!! :)

EGOMON

bo9czsuaaajc.jpg

Hmmm ...

.J.

Banned
Getting really sick of teammates that are more concerned with being the first to slam the ball, regardless of the direction they're facing, rather than trying to work the ball into the opponent's goal.

Like, I'm not the best at the game or anything, but Christ.

Getting really sick of teammates that are more concerned with being the first to slam the ball, regardless of the direction they're facing, rather than trying to work the ball into the opponent's goal.

Like, I'm not the best at the game or anything, but Christ.

Drives me nuts, I don't mind people missing the ball etc. so much but this at times makes me want to quit mid match. I captured this egregious example the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta_U3jQCVyM

Kumquat

Kills me when I have a perfect line for a shot on the ball, open up the booster and I know it is a sure fire goal. Nothing can stop me, except for my teammate who just screamed in from the side, knocked the ball away, and who I then plowed into.

The soundtrack for this game is top notch too. Not sure where they got the music from but I wish it played while I was in a match.

.J.

Banned
Kills me when I have a perfect line for a shot on the ball, open up the booster and I know it is a sure fire goal. Nothing can stop me, except for my teammate who just screamed in from the side, knocked the ball away, and who I then plowed into.

That's what happens most commonly. I almost screamed earlier, because an entire match was me coming a hair's breadth from a goal and having a teammate blast into either me or the ball at the last second.

The other day I had a pick up group that worked really well together in 3v3. For the first time since I started playing no one dropped out after a game and we went on and dominated a winning streak of 5 games. We were on fire. Probably the best group I've played with yet.

I would love to see spin-offs of Rocket League using other sports. The two that come to mind for me are Kickball (which is baseball, except replacing the pitcher and batter with a player on the pitcher's mound that rolls a large ball to a kicker) and the other would be dodgeball (that could be really wacky).

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
it blows my mind how many bugs and issues this game has and yet the core gameplay is amazing and untainted so it's able to sustain itself and live on.

anyone notice the center of the field is a pokeball?

Kumquat

That's what happens most commonly. I almost screamed earlier, because an entire match was me coming a hair's breadth from a goal and having a teammate blast into either me or the ball at the last second.

I also learned that if you can't make a good play on the ball, the next best thing to do is plow an opposing player out of position. Made many a save and goal happen by just trucking people out of the way and letting my teammates blast it.

Soulflarz

Banned
So uh

In the GAF rocket league tourney, my friend
and best person on our team orz
is unavailable for a few days due to unfortunate events, so uh...d-does anyone who's good want to sub in for him for a match soon? Trying to set it up for uh noon-3 tomorrow CST if I can.

Thanks if anyone is willing!

Did another run of online games last night. This is a great game.
I downloaded it just to cheese a platinum trophy but I've been enjoying the hell out of it.

Good, fast matches and lots of chaos.

3v3 all the time for me. Not a fan of the smaller matches and 4v4 is just too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom