• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keasar

True horror is meeting an enemy team with a player who knows how to do aerials. :(

I think I've hit my skill ceiling at "bumbling towards the ball in the air".

Grakl

I swear there's something wrong with the controls in this game. I end up doing front somersaults when I want to do side and vice versa, and the side somersault sometimes doesnt move sideways, its weird.
Hold square while in the air for side somersaults

Genryu

Banned
I should start at least using Shadow play to record the rare occasions when I do something good.
Going back and recording a Replay of the match isn't as fun.

LGom09

I swear there's something wrong with the controls in this game. I end up doing front somersaults when I want to do side and vice versa, and the side somersault sometimes doesnt move sideways, its weird.
If you didn't know, to flip forward you always hold up and press x. You don't hold the stick in a direction relative to which way your car is facing.

Dr Prob

Banned
I'm resharing my amazing aerial goal. It's been a week and I haven't even come close to scoring another one as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fRAwBF73lA

I want to reshare too! Even though Lunar may not be a fan, it's fun!

Tr2mzBn.png

Early days (you can boost in the air? I'll just do that all the time!): https://youtu.be/7pVJ0KRSIUM

First goal is nothing special but it served to bring the music in. Amazing defense* more than makes up for it.

*oh shit

Via twitter:

Awesome. I am not solo queuing ranked until then. I work so hard for the wins only to have brutal loss after brutal loss because I get paired with quitters. I know it will never happen, but a retro active penalty would be the greatest thing ever. "Oh you've quit 45 of your last 50 games? Welcome to rank -470...you dipshit!" The best quitters are the ones who instantly shit talk their own teammates for not being good enough, but then quit as soon as the going gets tough. There is nothing more noob and lame than not being able to come from behind to win.

Best

The best thing to do for quitters is to prevent them from starting a match for however long they had left in the match they quit.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, I still don't have a rank:

Shouldn't I...? I've been playing ranked for over a week, so surely it would have synced by now even if it's a bit delayed? Or do you have to get over a certain skill level to be deemed worthy of a rank?

Turn off ball cam maybe. Since the perspective on your car changes in ball cam, but the inputs do not, it's easy to get confused over which input to do in order to flip the way you want.

The year is 2015, that should be the first feature they design for an online game.

I agree. I am surprised they didn't see this being an issue, especially in ranked matches. In addition to much harsher penalties to your rank, they should make a quitters queue like they do with HotS. So not only are you getting deducted points, but you are being put up against other quitters. This way they are either getting a dose of their own medicine to show them how annoying they are, or they and other quitters are playing normally to get out of quitter queue hell.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Punishment for quitting shouldn't just be a loss or minus ranking points. I say the quitter shouldn't be allowed to search for another game for a certain amount of time. The more frequently you quit the longer that wait time becomes.

mackattk

Been playing this game more lately. I am just tired of people quitting in the first 30 seconds of the round. Within a minute or two, nearly half the players in the game left.

Just group the people in non-ranked based on how often they quit, and have a penalty - both time based and deduction of points for ranked. You quit a ranked game, but you can't join a new one for 5 minutes.

IISANDERII

Has anybody got the Drive 500km 🏆 trophy? At what level does it usually come? I'm level 26 and feel like I've played quite a lot

So, I still don't have a rank:

Shouldn't I...? I've been playing ranked for over a week, so surely it would have synced by now even if it's a bit delayed? Or do you have to get over a certain skill level to be deemed worthy of a rank?
I presume that only the top 100 are given a numbered ranking. Fo everyone else, there's the divisions.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Has anybody got the Drive 500km �� trophy? At what level does it usually come? I'm level 26 and feel like I've played quite a lot

No, it's currently broken, stat tracking for items doesn't work online. If you really want it you'll have to play a bunch offline. Getting fixed in the next patch I think.

I presume that only the top 100 are given a numbered ranking. Fo everyone else, there's the divisions.

Yeah, I figured that was it. People on Reddit were talking about how it was cool to see their rank go from 5000 to 1000, etc, but I guess they were just talking out of their asses.

There are many reasons, as with most things, but a big one is our guy Shane (@ShaneWatch) at Sony who has championed RL on PS4 for a long time, before anybody gave a crap about it.

Specifically for the first game (SARPBC) we weren't allowed to publish on Xbox without signing away a chunk of our profits to a publisher. Things have changed since then for the better over there (ID@Xbox, etc.) but Sony's always been really great to work with as an independent developer.

I had figured something like this to be the case. Sony definitely sounds like they've been supportive, but now that the game is so popular, I wonder if Sony is trying to nail some exclusivity deal moving forward. I still really think this game can be bundled with PS4s and sell consoles. I can also see a physical release happen.

I'm sure MS wants this too, so I'm curious if Psyonix will cross over or if MS will try to sweeten the deal, or if Sony will try and keep that from happening.

The Cowboy

That's great.

I wish it was possible to pick all the cosmetics for each team separately. I might have a fun idea for one color, that then doe really fly for the other.

This is what i want added to the game to, separate team cosmetic setups - it would be nice that we can have a full setup for each team, rather than just different colours for each team.

I would also love to have say 3 cosmetic profiles that we can save to for quick switching.

Sony needs to stop going after bullshit DLC exclusives that don't matter after the first 20 minutes of playing a AAA game and lock down something that is in the process of becoming an esports "platform" like Rocket League. Everyone out there seems to want to get a piece of the esports pie with MOBA's moba-likes and other f2p competitively structured games. Maybe I am not giving Sony enough credit, and they did see the potential of RL, and realized the massive benefit of releasing it as a free PS+ game. Either way, I haven't seen a game go from completely unknown, to massive buzz, to full on esport so quickly. It must be awesome for the devs. A nearly decade long pursuit finally paying off.

Dr Prob

Banned
Since we're suggesting things, it would be cool if we had the option to turn off the full name bars and just have basic team color indicators. The option. Sometimes it can get a bit messy when people bunch up and with the camera pulled back, tracking the ball is just a bit more difficult than it maybe has to be.

And we're going to need to know why these sentient cars are playing soccer on what seems to be a future earth-type planet in front of the oval egg people. Do they hatch and grow up to be Rocketballs? One thing at a time though.

BShadowJ

I'm running a tournament as part of another site that I'm on and these guys just signed up

mpLP8RO.png

GG to everyone else. You are already dead.

Damn... Well just give them the trophy, tournament's over!

Sony needs to stop going after bullshit DLC exclusives that don't matter after the first 20 minutes of playing a AAA game and lock down something that is in the process of becoming an esports "platform" like Rocket League. Everyone out there seems to want to get a piece of the esports pie with MOBA's moba-likes and other f2p competitively structured games. Maybe I am not giving Sony enough credit, and they did see the potential of RL, and realized the massive benefit of releasing it as a free PS+ game. Either way, I haven't seen a game go from completely unknown, to massive buzz, to full on esport so quickly. It must be awesome for the devs. A nearly decade long pursuit finally paying off.

Yeah it's really, really impressive how far the buzz for the game has come... Just yesterday I was looking at my twitter feed, and a ton of League of Legends pro players were taking about Rocket League. And I mean, it might seem silly, but it just made me think that the game truly did go far and beyond my wildest expectations, with so many people streaming it, Kronovi turning into an overnight sensation, so many people signing up for tournaments... Sony did get one hell of a catch, and the game's success is totally deserved after the under-appreciation of the original game.

sadly no party system for cross-platform right now, i hope they work on that
Ah, yeah that does suck. I have some friends who currently game only on PC (one of which who said he'll have to buy a Ps4 for the last guardian though) and they'd probably really enjoy this.
If it comes.to XBone, cross play between it and PS4 is out. MS don't allow it which is why FF14 has never been released.
so the cross play would be PCxps4 and PCxxbone and that's it? That would be weird. Or do you mean no cross play at all?

Ah, yeah that does suck. I have some friends who currently game only on PC (one of which who said he'll have to buy a Ps4 for the last guardian though) and they'd probably really enjoy this.
so the cross play would be PCxps4 and PCxxbone and that's it? That would be weird. Or do you mean no cross play at all?

If it comes to Xbox, I'm curious how cross play will work

It definitely wont be Xbox/PS4 or Xbox/PS4/PC

Since MS is making a push with PC, we COULD see PC/XBox, but wont that split the PC/PS4 community?

Imagine matchmaking where PC players can only be matched with either PS4 or Xbox players, but not both. Doesn't that split the PC fanbase from the perspective of PS4/XBox players?

Maybe not. Maybe PC players just try to match with either PS4 or Xbox players, and whoever is found first is given the match.

I wonder if that's hard to program. If the player pool is just Xbox, it'd be a pretty unfortunate thing, though most sales did come from PS+, so it's not like there is a shortage of players to find.

Presumably, the other question is if Rocket league will be a Xbox Gold game. They'll be able to expose themselves even more, though I bet they can just as well launch at $20 and expect the wave of fandom to ensure solid sales.

lawnchair

Banned
i'm legit scared that i wont be able to play this game online in two months because everybody will be a super-rocket-aerial-master and i won't be.

such a genius game. sucking at it hasn't even hurt my experience so far, but at the moment there are a lot of nubs like me to play with..

What would you guys claim to be a "good" ranking? I've seemed to have hit some sort of ceiling where I'll win then lose 3 then win a couple of times and hover around the same point.

(Ranking of around 550, on 2v2)

DavidDesu

The best thing to do for quitters is to prevent them from starting a match for however long they had left in the match they quit.

Fantastically simple and effective idea. And after multiple quits double or treble the time limit...

My suggestion would be to start stripping you of the unlockable extras. So you like stripes and the Unreal flag and you just quit three games in a row... We'll be having those back then!

Lunar FC

What would you guys claim to be a "good" ranking? I've seemed to have hit some sort of ceiling where I'll win then lose 3 then win a couple of times and hover around the same point.

(Ranking of around 550, on 2v2)

I was kinda in the same boat, felt like purgatory.

My answer was to just do 3v3 ranked only.

Dr Prob

Banned
Another small note of love: Even though the tutorials could be seen as something of an afterthought, the "GO!" part of the "3, 2, 1, GO!" thing stays up too long and is right there in front of the ball in the aerial section. Not a huge deal, you can still do it, but we already know to GO because of the 3, 2, 1. Same kind of thing to a lesser extent with the 1min/30sec time warnings; it's a cool, visceral reminder that things are coming to a head but maybe it doesn't have to take up so much space?

such a genius game. sucking at it hasn't even hurt my experience so far, but at the moment there are a lot of nubs like me to play with..

Sucking at this game (I'm an expert) is more fun than being good at most games. Perfect game at the perfect time.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Guys who have hit a ceiling, go to training and learn aerials. I am serious, once you learn to play the air you will blow past your ceiling.

The ability to reach balls others are waiting on is what separates a 600-800 player from a 1000 - 1300 player. Past that it is raw skill and imaginative play that gets you into the top 100.

BTW I think I have aerials down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIyYF3FxG4o

Jesus. Just had the worst partner in ranked doubles. Insisted on defending and was horrible, wouldn't rush for the kickoff when he was on the side so they would always hit it first...gah. I had like three epic saves trying to keep his ass out of trouble.

I am so irritated by people who don't get that the sides are who's supposed to participate in the kickoffs. When I see a side player go in reverse in an attempt to get boost I know that there will probably be at least one free score for the opponents.

Lunar FC

Guys who have hit a ceiling, go to training and learn aerials. I am serious, once you learn to play the air you will blow past your ceiling.

The ability to reach balls others are waiting on is what separates a 600-800 player from a 1000 - 1300 player. Past that it is raw skill and imaginative play that gets you into the top 100.

BTW I think I have aerials down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIyYF3FxG4o

Poor technique, no follow through.

Skyzard

Banned
I hope this game brings people to Distance in month or two when they want some more action like this (it's also coming to PS4 but on steam now) which is a trackmania sort of game but with a car like this that can jump, flip sides even fly and boost at really fast speeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzDXHotLbe8

Not as good as rocket league, even though it's a different game, but still can be a lot of fun and worth checking out if you're into arcade racing action and time trials with challenging maps. MP racing is like trackmania without collision to actually get through the track at top speeds. Also has a level editor with things being made for it. The actual game still reminds me of RL because of the way the car can and needs to move. Boost management is big in it too.

Skyzard

Banned
The gamasutra interview mention a rocket league 2 down the line. I hope they realize the importance of setting this game as a platform like other competitive games. Just add and update and upgrade this game. Fans will support it if devs do.

Hmm, a bit lame if they're quickly jumping to the next one. I'll pick it up but I'd have preferred adding to the base game as well. I'd be up for expansion dlc too. Maybe a little while after that.

Hmm, a bit lame if they're quickly jumping to the next one. I'll pick it up but I'd have preferred adding to the base game as well. I'd be up for expansion dlc too. Maybe a little while after that.

I doubt we'll see a sequel so soon. However, there is probably a lot they want to expand upon that they cant do in the base game.

Though I probably think a whole lot can be added as expansions to make it look like a totally different game. Resogun really did a great job of that. Vanilla Resogun is nothing compared to what it is now.

Here's to hoping that they add tournaments, some kind of clan support, post-game stats, season mode rewards, map variations, and advanced settings so that we can customize private games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom