• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg0

Banned
All the games I've played today have been very laggy, like unplayable. I'm on the PS4 btw, using wifi. Anyone know if it's better to play wired?

All the games I've played today have been very laggy, like unplayable. I'm on the PS4 btw, using wifi. Anyone know if it's better to play wired?

It's generally always better to play wired than wifi. Not sure that would help much in this case assuming it's a PSN issue

Skyzard

Banned
Just kicked my PC trying to score lol.

I doubt we'll see a sequel so soon. However, there is probably a lot they want to expand upon that they cant do in the base game.

Though I probably think a whole lot can be added as expansions to make it look like a totally different game. Resogun really did a great job of that. Vanilla Resogun is nothing compared to what it is now.

Here's to hoping that they add tournaments, some kind of clan support, post-game stats, season mode rewards, map variations, and advanced settings so that we can customize private games.

Hope so...

=-=-=-=---=-=-=-=

Laggy as fuck online atm.

Played a match yesterday, this is how close they were to equalizing before the time ran out:

4xWQp67.jpg

Just a slither of the ball infront of the goal (the part you can see in the glowing part on the right).

What do you guys think makes for better practice? Doing the drills/practice sessions, or just keep playing in actual games?

I've been messing around with the practice sessions but I feel like you're never presented with those "perfect" scenarios in game. I'd rather just keep getting better by playing in actual games. What's been working for you guys?

Vitor711

Just kicked my PC trying to score lol.

Hope so...

=-=-=-=---=-=-=-=

Laggy as fuck online atm.

Played a match yesterday, this is how close they were to equalizing before the time ran out:

4xWQp67.jpg

Just a slither of the ball infront of the goal (the part you can see in the glowing part on the right).

Honestly, if the ball is in the box, just like real football, the timer should pause. No referee would ever call off the game when it looks like a team is about to score, even if it's past overtime.

I know this isn't exactly an accurate reenactment of the sport, but it would make games that much more interesting.

Kumquat

Was playing ranked 3 on 3 last night and it was a tense as hell game. Score was 0-0. Score remained 0-0 through the entire game. It wasn't because we sucked either. There were so many clutch aerial saves and last second clears that it spiked the blood pressure way up.

So we went into overtime and it was more of the same. Denial after denial after denial. Unfortunately we finally cracked and had a shot scoot between two defenders and make it in. One of the best games I was involved in though.

Honestly, if the ball is in the box, just like real football, the timer should pause. No referee would ever call off the game when it looks like a team is about to score, even if it's past overtime.

I know this isn't exactly an accurate reenactment of the sport, but it would make games that much more interesting.

The problem with doing that in RL is that its quite possible the shot that bounced there was actually a clear from the keeper at the other end of the pitch. In that instance the ref would have called it as soon as the ball was cleared.

Reedirect

Man, skill rating of 600 in Solo Standards is probably the highest I can get right now. I'm still pretty bad at general defense and almost every ranked match is a challenge now.

Was playing ranked 3 on 3 last night and it was a tense as hell game. Score was 0-0. Score remained 0-0 through the entire game. It wasn't because we sucked either. There were so many clutch aerial saves and last second clears that it spiked the blood pressure way up.

So we went into overtime and it was more of the same. Denial after denial after denial. Unfortunately we finally cracked and had a shot scoot between two defenders and make it in. One of the best games I was involved in though.

Those are the intense games, absolutely love it!

I can't wait to play this game every day, my wife thinks I'm crazy because I'm yelling at the TV a lot :)

TheAssist

Lag is killing it unfortunately. No use in playing ranked when there is always a chance of it ending up as a shitshow.

They should implement the option to cancel the game if both parties agree.

.J.

Banned
I think i mentioned it before but I'd love for psyonix to put some quick snappy advice, similar to these points, on the loading screens.

That would make a lot of sense. A lot of games utilize the loading screen advice text to great effect, and it would be great to see it.

I would also like to see some sort of abuse reporting system in place. I've had multiple games where one player was so terrible or aggressive toward teammates that it ruined the game and almost had to be intentional.

Those are the intense games, absolutely love it!

I can't wait to play this game every day, my wife thinks I'm crazy because I'm yelling at the TV a lot :)

I know! Low scoring games are the best, for that reason. It's nice to rack up points, but that hardcore back-and-forth is so damn exhilarating .

(down to earth reminder: we are talking about a video game where you knock a ball around with tiny rocket cars [
I FUCKING LOVE IT!
].)

When I play, I find myself getting really into it, physically. I'm jerking around in my chair, tensing up my back and shoulders, shifting around trying to will the car toward the ball. I really didn't care about this game prior to launch, but now it's all I think about. It's majorly postponed playthroughs of The Witcher 3 and BL2, because all I want to do is get another match in.

.J.

Banned
Sure this has been asked but what camera angle has the higher skill level? Fixed on ball or nothe fixed?

Camera on ball is the best. If you're not focused on the ball it's way too hard to keep up with where it is or what's going on in the action. The one time I think it's good to switch to the behind-the-car camera is when you're darting around to pick up boost refills real quick, although you can just as easily use the right analog stick to pull the camera away from the ball for a moment.

See that article I linked above for more info about it.

OctoMan

Banned
Camera on ball is the best. If you're not focused on the ball it's way too hard to keep up with where it is or what's going on in the action. The one time I think it's good to switch to the behind-the-car camera is when you're darting around to pick up boost refills real quick, although you can just as easily use the right analog stick to pull the camera away from the ball for a moment.

See that article I linked above for more info about it.
Yeah the article is what actually prompted the question. I play better with camera behind the car but was wondering if that's just because im a beginner. I'd love to know what the high end players play with. For me I never find it hard to track the ball even with the camera locked behind the car.

Yeah the article is what actually prompted the question. I play better with camera behind the car but was wondering if that's just because im a beginner. I'd love to know what the high end players play with. For me I never find it hard to track the ball even with the camera locked behind the car.

Kronovi, probably the best player at the moment, is around 80-90% ball cam.

OctoMan

Banned

You probably know this but the game cannot end until the ball hits the ground. So there's that at leastm

OK, we need an answer regarding handling. Not sure how accurate this is, feels like the person who made this did a mistake, but this is supposedly comparing full boost sliding (and holding left) on a big and small car:

X5IOImr.jpg

06YoddX.jpg

Lag is killing it unfortunately. No use in playing ranked when there is always a chance of it ending up as a shitshow.

They should implement the option to cancel the game if both parties agree.
Yea I have had nothing but issues the past three nights. All in East region where I shouldn't have an issue. Very frustrating.

DBT85

What would you guys claim to be a "good" ranking? I've seemed to have hit some sort of ceiling where I'll win then lose 3 then win a couple of times and hover around the same point.

(Ranking of around 550, on 2v2)

I had the same thing at about 150 and now at about 350.

I find a few dozen games helps me improve where needed enough to jump up a bit.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I mean.. it does suck when you play ranked and you end up together with people who have no idea what they're doing. Can't do anything worthwhile in a 3v3 if your two teammates just create chaos. But I still wouldn't rage-quit on my teammates, that's just a shitty thing to do.

DBT85

I'm noticing a few more players now at around 300-400 in 2v2 not just chasing the ball all the time and actually hanging back, though still easily more than half.

What I'm not getting is when kicking off players who attack the ball when they should sit back (in my view).

If you're on the diagonal bit then you always go, and if your the furthest forward of the straight attack then you go if there is nobody of the diagonals. Anywhere else, hang back and look for the spilled ball.

Hasney

I mean.. it does suck when you play ranked and you end up together with people who have no idea what they're doing. Can't do anything worthwhile in a 3v3 if your two teammates just create chaos. But I still wouldn't rage-quit on my teammates, that's just a shitty thing to do.

I do if I get rammed every time there's an aerial ball in doubles. They want me out the way that bad, I'll be happy to oblige. Not happened much recently at least though. 3v3 I can forgive with how much is going on.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh man, when this game gets laggy it gets fucking laggy! It's like it's either perfect or it's basically unplayable.

I do if I get rammed every time there's an aerial ball in doubles. They want me out the way that bad, I'll be happy to oblige. Not happened much recently at least though. 3v3 I can forgive with how much is going on.

Yeah, I've had better luck in 2v2 generally.

TheAssist

I'm noticing a few more players now at around 300-400 in 2v2 not just chasing the ball all the time and actually hanging back, though still easily more than half.

What I'm not getting is when kicking off players who attack the ball when they should sit back (in my view).

If you're on the diagonal bit then you always go, and if your the furthest forward of the straight attack then you go if there is nobody of the diagonals. Anywhere else, hang back and look for the spilled ball.

yeah it seems so logical ... but you know ... people :(

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Or the other way around, when your teammate who is clearly closest to the ball just backs right up into you instead of going for the ball, leaving the opponents free to do whatever they want with it.

DBT85

Hope they just do a season pass like Resogun.

Or the other way around, when your teammate who is clearly closest to the ball just backs right up into you instead of going for the ball, leaving the opponents free to do whatever they want with it.

Oh god yeah.

For the first kickoff in a match I am always wary to see just what team mate I have.

cyba89

The online is still unplayable for me. I never had a flawless match. Always have lags and get diconnected after a short time.
I don't have these problems when playing online in other games.

Such a big shame for this otherwise fantastic game.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just had the most epic match. So close to pulling off the impossible. Went 1-0 down early in 2v2 and my partner quit straight away. Went 2-0 down quickly. But I played damn well and clawed back to 2-2! Was so close to getting a winner just before overtime. I ended up making a crucial mistake in overtime and they got a tap in. Damn that would have been soooo satisfying. But I'm proud of my performance either way. I'm in the 700s in ranked as well so I was playing against decent players not noobs. This game.

By the way does anyone know if PS4 players can invite Steam players? If so how does that work?

BumRush

Sorry, I'm sure this has already been posted, but does anyone have the values associated with the ideal camera set up?? THANK YOU!

b0bbyJ03

Just wondering how FIFA lovers feel about this game? I have some FIFA friends that I'm trying to convince to come over to RL. Does it scratch the same itch? Is is more/less fun to you?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is there anywhere we can find all the info on DLC thus far? Seems like it's put up randomly on Twitter.

What happened to (free) DLC release by the end of July? I thought that was still on schedule?

Grinchy

Banned
I can't seem to get past ~960 skill rank in doubles. I end up with games against people in the top 10 all the time. In fact, most nights, I only see the same 4 or so people from matchmaking no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom