• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

BShadowJ

I searched but didn't see anything. This Kotaku 'Tips for Playing Rocket League' article has some great advice for those struggling with the game:

http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-rocket-league-1719381327

See, especially, for the love of all things holy, 'Don't Ball Rush'.

Just read this too, these are some really good tips for beginners. Really good indeed. Only thing that's wrong is that you don't get points for demolishing opponents... I can see how it feels good though :p

Cess007

Just had the most epic match. So close to pulling off the impossible. Went 1-0 down early in 2v2 and my partner quit straight away. Went 2-0 down quickly. But I played damn well and clawed back to 2-2! Was so close to getting a winner just before overtime. I ended up making a crucial mistake in overtime and they got a tap in. Damn that would have been soooo satisfying. But I'm proud of my performance either way. I'm in the 700s in ranked as well so I was playing against decent players not noobs. This game.

By the way does anyone know if PS4 players can invite Steam players? If so how does that work?

Had 2 moments similar like that.

In one match, we were losing 0-4 with two minute left to play. We (somehow) scored 4 straight goals and tied the match, and then we got so close to take the advange; only to get destroyed in the last minute with the other team scoring twice in 10 seconds :(

Then, in our last match of the night, we were losing 0-1 and a teammate scored with 1 second left in the clock. Then, in overtime, it took them 4 seconds to get the winner.

That moment when you tie an incredible game, it's an awesome feeling :')

DBT85

Is there anywhere we can find all the info on DLC thus far? Seems like it's put up randomly on Twitter.

What happened to (free) DLC release by the end of July? I thought that was still on schedule?

Not sure there is a specific list yet.

All arenas are free, anything else will be a mix.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just read this too, these are some really good tips for beginners. Really good indeed. Only thing that's wrong is that you don't get points for demolishing opponents... I can see how it feels good though :p
You get +10 meaningless points for a demolition.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sorry, I'm sure this has already been posted, but does anyone have the values associated with the ideal camera set up?? THANK YOU!

FOV: 110
Camera height: 100
Camera angle: -3
Camera distance: 230
Camera stiffness: 0.7

I prefer height at 90 and angle at -4 though.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Had 2 moments similar like that.

In one match, we were losing 0-4 with two minute left to play. We (somehow) scored 4 straight goals and tie the match and we got so close to take the advange; only to get destroyed in the last minute with the other team scoring twice in 10 seconds :(
In our last match of the night, we were losing 0-1 and a teammate scored with 1 second left in the clock. Then, in overtime, it took them 4 seconds to get the winner.

That moment when you tie an incredible game, it's an awesome feeling :')

Oh I've had plenty of moments like that. What made this one special for me is that it was 1v2.

Getting 2 goals with like 30 seconds left and then a winner with 0 seconds on the clock yesterday is one of my favourite moments as well. So many epic matches happen in this game.

And speaking of being 4-0 up and almost fucking it up, this happened to me earlier! We were absolutely cruising but somehow they got back to 4-4 and took it to overtime. But I managed to score the winner quickly in overtime. But damn I would have felt like such an idiot if we lost that.

BShadowJ

By the way does anyone know if PS4 players can invite Steam players? If so how does that work?

I'm assuming you mean into a party? That doesn't work yet, and might take a while, since you can't mix both system's friends lists and party systems, so they have to make one from the ground up basically. They do want to do it though, just don't hope it'll be soon.

Playing cross platform in private matches though they are working on it and should be available soon.

Just wondering how FIFA lovers feel about this game? I have some FIFA friends that I'm trying to convince to come over to RL. Does it scratch the same itch? Is is more/less fun to you?

I'm not a FIFA lover by any means, but to be honest, I'm not sure it'll scratch that exact itch... If anything it'll scratch an itch they didn't even knew they had :p

But also, is it that hard to convince people to try it? I mean, if your friends are FIFA lovers, I'm assuming you're on PS4 and have PS+, thus they can just try it for free... x)

Is there anywhere we can find all the info on DLC thus far? Seems like it's put up randomly on Twitter.

What happened to (free) DLC release by the end of July? I thought that was still on schedule?

I think last time they said an estimate for the first free DLC, they talked about the end of the month. But they did also say it did get delayed because of the initial server issues, so I'm not sure it's still on track. Shouldn't be much longer than that though hopefully!

I swear to god I've never seen any points for a demolition... Granted I avoid it at all costs LOL

Cess007

As fun as it is to destroy an opponent i think 10 points it's good. If the score was higher, some people would spend more time demolishing cars than actually playing

I searched but didn't see anything. This Kotaku 'Tips for Playing Rocket League' article has some great advice for those struggling with the game:

http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-rocket-league-1719381327

See, especially, for the love of all things holy, 'Don't Ball Rush'.

And defend people! Even when i play with friends, we switch turns to play goalie. But there's always this guy that just rush from side to side to pitch and left the goal empty.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm assuming you mean into a party? That doesn't work yet, and might take a while, since you can't mix both system's friends lists and party systems, so they have to make one from the ground up basically. They do want to do it though, just don't hope it'll be soon.

Playing cross platform in private matches though they are working on it and should be available soon.

I see. Thanks.

Guess it would be up to the devs. Either would work, as long as PS4 users and XB1 users aren't paying in the same games.

Its probably been explained in the past but why is this? I always see people say Microsoft is against it but what about Sony? Have they ever said why they're against it?

BShadowJ

Attacking your opponents can be just as useful as attacking the ball.

I'm at a good enough level that I can just get around a pesky goalkeeper ;P
That and it's a habit I got from the original and playing with my friends, where demolishing each other was BM. x)

Also I just did a demolition and got 0 points.... So either people are getting more points than me, or I don't know where they came up with the +10 points lol

I'm at a good enough level that I can just get around a pesky goalkeeper ;P
That and it's a habit I got from the original and playing with my friends, where demolishing each other was BM. x)

Also I just did a demolition and got 0 points.... So either people are getting more points than me, or I don't know where they came up with the +10 points lol

It's +10 meaningless points, not +10 real points ;)

DBT85

Its probably been explained in the past but why is this? I always see people say Microsoft is against it but what about Sony? Have they ever said why they're against it?

I don't think that Sony are but I could be wrong.

MS didn't even want Xbone & PC to play together at one point.

Hasney

Sony are fine apparently, at least the only time it's been brought up was with FF14 and SquareEnix said that Sony would be fine if it came to XB1.

Last night myself and two other randoms dominated a lobby for an hour or two. We knew when to get out of each other's way when pushing the ball upfield and we all knew when to get back on defense. And we just kept readying up for the next match. Before I knew it, I got a trophy for 10 straight wins.

I wish people would just quit and not waste everyones time. Finishing a 9-1 game is so boring.

People should always finish games. Leaving because they're losing is the absolute worst precedent to set. To top it off, if they just leave because they're not good then they'll never get better. Getting beat by people better than you is one of the easiest ways to learn.

Nameless

Game is great, but so many matches devolve into fucking free-for-alls where I'm constantly competing against my own teammates just as much if not more than the opposing team. Just a modicum of awareness or any restraint at all would make a world a difference in most matches I play.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I was mistaken. In my mind I associated it with points because I never demolish and it's mostly because I'm trying to center a ball or save a ball so I see points pop-up immediately after the demolition icon.

BumRush

Game is great, but so many matches devolve into fucking free-for-alls where I'm constantly competing against my own teammates just as much if not more than the opposing team. Just a modicum of awareness or any restraint at all would make a world a difference in most matches I play.

I came in here to make this point. My friend and I played last night and he was zooming all over with no purpose, doing far more harm than good. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it doesn't matter if you score a goal if you have 2 own goals and directly contribute to 2 other goals being scored by boosting right past the ball in front of our own net.

BShadowJ

It's +10 meaningless points, not +10 real points ;)

Oh. Oooooooooooooooooooooh. Ok I see. xD

I wish people would just quit and not waste everyones time. Finishing a 9-1 game is so boring.

Yeah please don't... I mean I can understand how losing by that much can be demoralizing, but still, if you just leave early then you're much more likely to hit a skill ceiling, because you aren't really learning anything. :/

I came in here to make this point. My friend and I played last night and he was zooming all over with no purpose, doing far more harm than good. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it doesn't matter if you score a goal if you have 2 own goals and directly contribute to 2 other goals being scored by boosting right past the ball in front of our own net.

sounds like youre a bad friend. Help your buddy learn, yo

bombshell

I prefer singles or doubles, 3v3 if necessary. 4v4 is just to chaotic, I guess that's why it's called chaos :)

Ardenyal

People should always finish games. Leaving because they're losing is the absolute worst precedent to set. To top it off, if they just leave because they're not good then they'll never get better. Getting beat by people better than you is one of the easiest ways to learn.

People should finish their games. You can't force anyone to play though even if you had penalties for quitting. People going afk would/will piss others off just as much as quitting.

BShadowJ

People should finish their games. You can't force anyone to play though even if you had penalties for quitting. People going afk would/will piss others off just as much as quitting.

Sure, it's true, some people will always quit/afk, no matter what the penalties are. But still, there needs to be some kind of penalty, because right now I feel people have a tendency to just quit when they feel the game is lost, even if it's something stupid like being 0-2 down at the first minute and a half (which is still perfectly possible to win!).

People just give up easily, and because there are no penalties, they just leave instead of trying to actually win the game.

DBT85

If they are quitting to save their rank then being punished for quitting will encourage them to fight for the match rather than running away.

They aren't quitting because they are bored.

I suck at goaltending. Numerous times I am flying back to the goal to defend after some volley and I always drive pass the pass and fail to hit it haha.

Still trying to get used to heading the ball, bit tricky. I feel like the game should end only if the ball is cleared to the other half of the field. I had 2 games tied where the ball was juggled in the air with no time left and I was able to slam it towards goal but game ends as soon as the ball hits the ground. I had a clear shot with no one defending :(

LMBo3pb.png

@JACRunner Yes, the other one IS a muscle car :)

Nothing great just testing out gifmaking.

Test

Ardenyal

If they are quitting to save their rank then being punished for quitting will encourage them to fight for the match rather than running away.

Quitting doesn't prevent losing rank points in my experience. Sometimes you just get matched to people with so much higher rank that you lose one point or even no points at all in extreme cases.

LAM09

You already lose points when you leave a ranked match AFAIK.

Nafai1123

Banned
I suck at goaltending. Numerous times I am flying back to the goal to defend after some volley and I always drive pass the pass and fail to hit it haha.

Still trying to get used to heading the ball, bit tricky. I feel like the game should end only if the ball is cleared to the other half of the field. I had 2 games tied where the ball was juggled in the air with no time left and I was able to slam it towards goal but game ends as soon as the ball hits the ground. I had a clear shot with no one defending :(

I actually kinda like the way it works now. If you are REALLY skilled you can juggle the ball on top of your car so it adds even more depth to those final moments.

TheAssist

The best way to get rid of overly incompetent teammates is playing ranked. Less people just leave the game at random and at a certain rank you can be sure people know what the fuck they are doing. I'm not that high (hovering at around 600) but I feel this is were I belong right know. Basic understanding of the game and some tactics, but sometimes I mess up big time :D.
But this is the first game in long time were learning is really fun and I actually want to get better at it.
Also you guys can call me "pro" now. How many levels/ranks are there? Today I saw the first "veteran" level player.

nicolajNN

Fuck me, at the start of the day I was almost at 1600 in 3v3, between bad team-mates, bad luck, bad lag and a little bit of bad play by me, I'm now below 1500

Vire

Did they say if the framerate/performance is being improved at all for some of the maps on this upcoming patch?

The Cowboy

Do we have a clue on the likely cost of the paid DLC?, I'm hoping that as the game is £14.99 which is nice a cheap, the paid DLC is also relatively cheap.

mkenyon

Banned
Need to update the OP with the fact that the game is not locked to 60 FPS. Just need to edit a single line.

Runs well over 120fps on both my HTPC and main system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom