• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it comes to Xbox, I'm curious how cross play will work

It definitely wont be Xbox/PS4 or Xbox/PS4/PC

Since MS is making a push with PC, we COULD see PC/XBox, but wont that split the PC/PS4 community?

Imagine matchmaking where PC players can only be matched with either PS4 or Xbox players, but not both. Doesn't that split the PC fanbase from the perspective of PS4/XBox players?

Maybe not. Maybe PC players just try to match with either PS4 or Xbox players, and whoever is found first is given the match.

I wonder if that's hard to program. If the player pool is just Xbox, it'd be a pretty unfortunate thing, though most sales did come from PS+, so it's not like there is a shortage of players to find.

Presumably, the other question is if Rocket league will be a Xbox Gold game. They'll be able to expose themselves even more, though I bet they can just as well launch at $20 and expect the wave of fandom to ensure solid sales.
well, this is all under the assumption that the game is even coming to xbone at all. but...why does crossplay have to be so complicated (as you have suggested and explained, it possibly would be if crossplay is implemented with an xbone port) I mean, as long as everyone buys the game, what is so bad with everyone who bought having the chance to play it together for those games that want to allow it?

Guess it would be up to the devs. Either would work, as long as PS4 users and XB1 users aren't paying in the same games.
i'm not 100%, but wasn't there a FFS game back in the 6th gen that has crossplatform play across Ps2, xbox and gamecube?

We're about to play a match in the NeoGAF Rocket League Tournament! Ray is livestreaming: www.twitch.tv/raymancouldbe

FuNq6N.jpg

Watch our match instead! haha

Twitch.tv/acridmeat (in a minute)

We don't have cool graphics

I think it will come to Xboxone but won't have crossplay with anyone. It doesn't really need to. It would be possible for PC if there was some Windows 10 version maybe but I doubt they would want to split up the PC community.

Nafai1123

Banned
I think it will come to Xboxone but won't have crossplay with anyone. It doesn't really need to. It would be possible for PC if there was some Windows 10 version maybe but I doubt they would want to split up the PC community.

With any luck it will be a free game for XBL members to increase the community size.

Afrikan

I need some GAF friends for this game...I get friends requests after playing with certain gamers from the game, but man do they post some childish shit...so don't really want to be associated with that.

I'm a "Pro" now..but sure don't feel like it lol.

I usually play after midnight PST....so add me if yall play during those times. PSN- Afrikan

Do we have enough players who are not part of the GAF Tourney, for mini side tourneys?

Grinchy

Banned
I just got beat so bad by Kronovi and Redemptionhound. There would be less of a sting if thousands of people weren't watching it on twitch.

DBT85

Crossplay will be essential for the online community and health of the game on that platform. Even if it's only with PC.

If the game came out on Xbone and wasn't given away like it has been on PS+, the community is going to be tiny and that's only going to hurt it.

So this game is entirely too much fun. Finally stopped playing the computer and ventured into playing a few ranked matches online - so far my team has won every time and it's a blast - one was a nailbiter that was 3-3 and we finally knocked in a goal during overtime.

The last match we won 2-0, in which I scored both goals AND had an epic save that involved me driving vertically down the wall -above- the goal to hit the ball and knock it out of the goal right before it bounced in.

Damn this game is awesome.

I love epic saves. It might even feel better to get an epic save than a goal.

Crossplay will be essential for the online community and health of the game on that platform. Even if it's only with PC.

If the game came out on Xbone and wasn't given away like it has been on PS+, the community is going to be tiny and that's only going to hurt it.

Plenty of games don't have crossplay. Free would be nice of course but that would only be if they were to get a PS+ type deal on Xbox Live. The game would simply have a smaller community but there is no reason to believe it wouldn't survive, especially with all the hype it's built up already I'm sure it would do well.

Most "sales" are coming from steam but most of the population is on PS4. At 160k Concurrent players there is usually only around 20k playing on steam.
yeah I guess that's kind of what I meant. it was mostly directed at TimeEffect who told me that most sales came from psplus. in regards to that since it is a new release, do we know how psplus works? do the developers of the free games earn any sort of royalties through a deal with sony who made the game free for their consumer?

Don't do all PS4 players have to get game for free since PS plus is required for online?
pretty much, yeah.

yeah I guess that's kind of what I meant. it was mostly directed at TimeEffect who told me that most sales came from psplus. in regards to that since it is a new release, do we know how psplus works? do the developers of the free games earn any sort of royalties through a deal with sony who made the game free for their consumer?

Yeah the devs get compensated but we really don't know how much. I'm pretty sure it's making more money on Steam at the moment though. The game has been the number one seller for awhile now.

Yeah the devs get compensated but we really don't know how much. I'm pretty sure it's making more money on Steam at the moment though. The game has been the number one seller for awhile now.
and i'm sure it is also ending up as one of the most popular psplus games of all time. and even if it isn't making as much money for psyonix on ps4 as it would've been if we had to pay for it, this popularity as a psplus has to mean something to them.

antitrop

Interesting quote from that Gamasutra piece that was posted earlier:

“I will always wonder; given how much it has taken off, you have to wonder. You look at the amount of downloads and you go 'Wow, that would have made a lot of money if we'd had even a tenth of that in paid sales,'” Hagewood tells me. “But we knew what we were doing when we made that deal. We knew that was a possibility."

"I'm a very patient person, and I'd rather build this brand and make it become a thing than make piles of cash. I look at it as a long-term strategy: even if we have to wait until we make Rocket League 2, if it's become a thing, that's the most important thing for me. That it becomes this phenomenon. That people realize we've been making this really cool game, and now everyone's playing it.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...re_worth_revisiting_A_Rocket_League_story.php

So it sounds to me like they don't get paid per download, but rather perhaps an up-front sum (varying from deal to deal)?

Vire

I'm sure they'll make a good amount also from PSN once July is over and users can no longer get it for free.

Word of mouth is still traveling and they have already passed four million users. I can't imagine they ever expected even half of that.

Interesting quote from that Gamasutra piece that was posted earlier:

“I will always wonder; given how much it has taken off, you have to wonder. You look at the amount of downloads and you go 'Wow, that would have made a lot of money if we'd had even a tenth of that in paid sales,'” Hagewood tells me. “But we knew what we were doing when we made that deal. We knew that was a possibility."

"I'm a very patient person, and I'd rather build this brand and make it become a thing than make piles of cash. I look at it as a long-term strategy: even if we have to wait until we make Rocket League 2, if it's become a thing, that's the most important thing for me. That it becomes this phenomenon. That people realize we've been making this really cool game, and now everyone's playing it.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...re_worth_revisiting_A_Rocket_League_story.php

So it sounds to me like they don't get paid per download, but rather perhaps an up-front sum (varying from deal to deal)?

Pretty sure this is what it is. I'm sure it would have done well at $20 but not anywhere as good as it is doing now. The word of mouth is what made so many people want to try it. I have always thought FreeToPlay was the way to go with a competitive game because you want as many people to play it as possible and have hardly an entry barrier. Hope it keeps doing well however on both platforms even after it's PS+ time is over.

and i'm sure it is also ending up as one of the most popular psplus games of all time. and even if it isn't making as much money for psyonix on ps4 as it would've been if we had to pay for it, this popularity as a psplus has to mean something to them.

It's massive and open up a ton of DLC sales.

I've always wondered about this. I'm surprised nobody has come out and said how it works, if it's a standard procedure. Unless it's on a deal by deal basis where sometimes they sign a contract that ensures them more money if it's insanely popular/gets lots of downloads or something. Never mind.

Vire

Not entirely sure about the accuracy of SteamSpy but it says that the PC version has sold 337,000 copies. That's upwards of $6.6 million, obviously they have to pay Steam a portion of that money though.

Then you add in whatever they got from Sony to the oncoming influx of DLC being advertised to four million people... and Psyonix will be doing just fine.

Surprised. Thought they'd make a lot of $$ from PS+

Guessing what they were offered was decent enough to feed the team, but it's definitely the case that a lot of people wouldnt have tried this game if not for PS+

It's hard to even get people to play the PS+ version, as some people are just too lazy or unwilling to budge or take the time to download and try the game. Most do, but I'm sure we've all had a friend who needed some convincing, even after noting it was on PS+ for "Free"

Anyways, let's hope people are enticed to buy the paid DLC coming up

Salsa

finally cracked and bought this

getting "Error not connected to Rocket League Servers" when trying to play online

looked online, tons of people having it. Many fixes out there, tried them all, none work

seriously pissed off.

Iced

Can someone explain how demolitions work to me? I thought you could only demo someone when the (audible) "second level" of boost kicks in. Tonight I was playing net, and someone grabbed a full boost powerup in the corner to the right of me. He started driving and then activated boost, hit me, and I blew up. From what I understand, there's no way he had enough time for a demolition to occur. I watched the replay over and over, and had my teammate watch it with me, and we both agreed that the other player wouldn't have had enough time, nor did the second level of boost kick in.

DBT85

Plenty of games don't have crossplay. Free would be nice of course but that would only be if they were to get a PS+ type deal on Xbox Live. The game would simply have a smaller community but there is no reason to believe it wouldn't survive, especially with all the hype it's built up already I'm sure it would do well.

How many people are still going to be ready to jump in on Xbone in say 6-10 months that haven't already done so on PS4 or PC though? Because if it doesn't have cross play that's the entire audience available for MP. If you can at least have cross play with PC, and there no bloody reason why they shouldn't, then it doesn't matter if only 5 people buy it on Xbone.

All of this would be moot if those involved could just accept that gamers playing against gamers is what is important, so open it up.

Can someone explain how demolitions work to me? I thought you could only demo someone when the (audible) "second level" of boost kicks in. Tonight I was playing net, and someone grabbed a full boost powerup in the corner to the right of me. He started driving and then activated boost, hit me, and I blew up. From what I understand, there's no way he had enough time for a demolition to occur. I watched the replay over and over, and had my teammate watch it with me, and we both agreed that the other player wouldn't have had enough time, nor did the second level of boost kick in.

Were you stationary? Demolitions take into account your speed too I think.

carlos

I've never streamed or shared anything, but I had such an incredible shot, I just had to hit the share button on ps4; I hope it saved. I'll post it here when I find and edit it.

Ramirez

I've never streamed or shared anything, but I had such an incredible shot, I just had to hit the share button on ps4; I hope it saved. I'll post it here when I find and edit it.

Damn, it's acting weird tonight. I reset it, see if it works now. :/

How many people are still going to be ready to jump in on Xbone in say 6-10 months that haven't already done so on PS4 or PC though? Because if it doesn't have cross play that's the entire audience available for MP. If you can at least have cross play with PC, and there no bloody reason why they shouldn't, then it doesn't matter if only 5 people buy it on Xbone.

All of this would be moot if those involved could just accept that gamers playing against gamers is what is important, so open it up.

I can agree with that but given the choice between crossplatform play or no RL on XBone I'd take RL on XBone and see how the community fares.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
man, im always on the edge of All Star in 2on2..
I drop back and forth the 1000 points mark constantly. Id like to see a detailed explanation about how the rating calculates.
Does it matter how you performed in the match? Im not too god at scoring, but im getting decent at defending and set ups, but that nets you less points..

Also something has to be done about quitters.
Someone else thinks that you get less points when there is a quitter in the match? I see it so often that people quit seconds before the game ends and i get single digit points for the match...
On the other hand it seems not to get rewarded when you played alone and lost. I lost 30 points on a match where i played alone for over 4 minutes and only lost by 1 goal.. should be less points.

but serieously, quitters need to be punished. 1st time 15 minute timeout, second time 1 hour, 3rd time a day. strike count decreases 1 per day. permanent offenders (quitting in 5 consecutive play sessions) getting banned permanently. and also the algorythm should detext of the server is lagging like crazy.
I quit those matches too becasue its unplayable ant times. I cant deal with a little lag, although its annoying, but some of those servers lag like crazy! But i hope that sorts itself out over the next couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom