• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely worth it. Do it.

http://ds4windows.com/

Cheers. I have money still in my wallet from steam summer sale, 120fps Rocket League just sounds too awesome.

Edit: DS4 setup, and RL purchased and d/l on Steam! I will play on PS4 when with friends, but when just playing solo, I think I will play on PC for the 120fps. Once they patch in cross party options, I will probably go 100% PC. I guess I have to get the platinum on the PS4 side too ;)

The Cowboy

Had a great game, scored 4 of the 5 goals, scored from my own half, and also a reversing backflip goal :D.

I do love this game, also i totally ripped off that Pikachu car posted earlier :p.

Sevenfold

Been having loads of fun with this. Look out for Buzz ingame. Must've played against some gaffers by now though chaos has been my thing. Might be time to go 3v3.

Anyone else experience a ton of micro-anger with this game? Like, I haven't raged in videos games since I was a teenager, I just don't really see the point of getting mad during a game. Same with RL, losing doesn't bother me. However, I constantly curse anytime I miss a simple hit or a easy opportunity. I think it is because I know I can do better, and missing a clearance hit only to watch the ball be smashed in your own net uncontested is awful. I guess it isn't even really micro-anger so much as does Rocket League anyone else to curse like a sailor?

Amory

The AI in this game is really just awful. In theory the Season mode should be a lot of fun, in practice it's a frustrating mess.

Your AI teammates' primary goal always seems to be "hit the ball". Not "hit the ball if it's going to get the ball closer to the goal we're aiming for".

They end up hitting the ball towards our goal and helping the opponent all the time. ALL the time.

Hasney

If there's one thing in this game worse than quitters it's lag. Absolutely awful lag is ruining matches all too often.

It's usually server issues rather than actual lag. Bad ping is well compensated for in the netcode. The errors usually only happen one region at a time (Europe every evening almost), so when it happens, I just change region.

LordofPwn

Anyone else experience a ton of micro-anger with this game? Like, I haven't raged in videos games since I was a teenager, I just don't really see the point of getting mad during a game. Same with RL, losing doesn't bother me. However, I constantly curse anytime I miss a simple hit or a easy opportunity. I think it is because I know I can do better, and missing a clearance hit only to watch the ball be smashed in your own net uncontested is awful. I guess it isn't even really micro-anger so much as does Rocket League anyone else to curse like a sailor?
Yeah i get upset at myself a bunch.when i miss shot i know i should have had or if i accidentally block my own goal. those are the worst
The AI in this game is really just awful. In theory the Season mode should be a lot of fun, in practice it's a frustrating mess.

Your AI teammates' primary goal always seems to be "hit the ball". Not "hit the ball if it's going to get the ball closer to the goal we're aiming for".

They end up hitting the ball towards our goal and helping the opponent all the time. ALL the time.
i play seasons all the time. have yet to win the final match against pro. even when i'm 5+ games up on 2nd place, my AI teammates always choke in that last match. no idea why.

It's hard to get a good rank in ranked 3v3. I constantly get paired with pretty bad team mates.
i should be in the 500 range but everytime i need 1 win to put me there i get matched with terrible teammates, get hit with unplayable lag, or start the game down a person. im sitting at 443 and it'll probably just stay there until they fix some stuff.

My God...

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/3e8wxt/i_wont_beat_this_for_a_while/

http://gfycat.com/CanineFilthyDiscus#

CanineFilthyDiscus.gif

My God...

I probably watched that gif for too long haha I don't think I could make that flight on my own let alone hit the ball.
Stuff like this always loses a few points for me though because it appears he could have had the same result just moving forward and jumping to hit the ball in the net, the flight only increased his chances of a prolonged recovery if anyone managed to get to the ball before he did.
But maybe I just have no style haha

stb

Played for the first time last night with most of my Destiny raiding group.

There were 5 of us, so we did 3v3 private matches with one bot, and did random teams each time. The medium AI was too good for us (it was scoring most goals, and the team with the bot won most matches), so we dialed it down to the low AI (which was a little too stupid).

We played for over 2 hours, and it's the most fun I've had in a video game in recent memory.

The simple premise, chaotic newbie gameplay, flickers of understanding (and executing) how to play better, silly upgrades (especially the "money" and "confetti" boosts), all while hooting and hollering with the raid crew was great.

Can't wait to play more.

plc268

Been playing a lot of 1v1 lately. It's a lot more satisfying to play sometimes, because I know if I lose, it's all on me.

Yes on EU servers.

Ha! Friend and I played a game or two, one with and one against. We were convinced you were an AI (we didn't know the button to check teammates). You were pretty much our boogeyman two nights ago!

Pretty sure you joined in our first game and effectively won the match for us by scoring a ton of goals, so that's where that started. We've were screaming BUZZZZZZ! at eachother any time we think someone is just out of nowhere tearing it up.

cracking me up over here my god

The other night I went on a 9 game losing streak playing Doubles ranked and by game 8 I had a lot of choice words for teammates, server lag and the ball. Teammates would quit after one goal, the servers were getting severe lag spikes and the other team were getting fluke goals off lucky bounces. It was a total shit show.

Since then I've made it into the 700s in both Doubles and Standard though, not bad for playing with randoms exclusively.

LordofPwn

The other night I went on a 9 game losing streak playing Doubles ranked and by game 8 I had a lot of choice words for teammates, server lag and the ball. Teammates would quit after one goal, the servers were getting severe lag spikes and the other team were getting fluke goals off lucky bounces. It was a total shit show.

Since then I've made it into the 700s in both Doubles and Standard though, not bad for playing with randoms exclusively.

ranked doubles with randoms? no thanks. you are brave.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ooooh, so good! 1v1 ranked, I was down 2-4 with 50 seconds left when I managed to bring it to 3-4. But the equalizer didn't seem to want to happen. Then, with five seconds left I took it toward the goal for one final attempt, and with 00:01 on the clock (actually, 00:00 when the ball crossed the line) it happened!

http://gfycat.com/MeagerDizzyDore

Had I not JUST caught it before the bounce it would have all been over.

Nothing too special, I know, but it felt soooo good! And then I won 5-4 in overtime. Lovely.

Juicy Bob

Dude, I just turned it off because I was playing awful tonight and getting so frustrated lol

TheAssist

(...)

but serieously, quitters need to be punished. 1st time 15 minute timeout, second time 1 hour, 3rd time a day. strike count decreases 1 per day. permanent offenders (quitting in 5 consecutive play sessions) getting banned permanently. and also the algorythm should detext of the server is lagging like crazy.
I quit those matches too becasue its unplayable ant times. I cant deal with a little lag, although its annoying, but some of those servers lag like crazy! But i hope that sorts itself out over the next couple of weeks.

Yeah I'm sure excluding players from a game they have bought for 20 bucks is the way to go here. A 5 minute penalty at least from queuing ranked matches would be enough.

And as I mentioned before, the option to cancel a game if both parties agree. Should be easy to implement.

Sayad

I feel you there, losing doesn't bother me at all, missing an easy shot, wither I was winning or losing is just the worst. :(

Hasney

Just got this comment on one of my videos from the ESL opening tournament:

"Holy shit, this game is the kind of eSports I want to watch. Fuck yes."

I think that whole scene has a real possibility of getting big.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just got this comment on one of my videos from the ESL opening tournament:

"Holy shit, this game is the kind of eSports I want to watch. Fuck yes."

I think that whole scene has a real possibility of getting big.

Gotta practice... Gotta get rich.

I feel you there, losing doesn't bother me at all, missing an easy shot, wither I was winning or losing is just the worst. :(

Yep, I much rather lose a match but play well personally than win a match 6-0 and barely contribute. I have definitely hit the point where I am no longer just happy with a goal, but want to know why I scored and how to improve. This in turn leads to knowing exactly when you missed a perfect chance to score which can be so frustrating. I need a ton of work on my defensive play. It is holding me back in all play, but especially 2v2 and 1v1.

Skyzard

Banned
Some of you guys are unreasonable with the punishment for leaving games. People have to leave games sometimes but I know where you're coming from. Small timeouts will be enough especially to start off with.

Some of you guys are unreasonable with the punishment for leaving games. People have to leave games sometimes but I know where you're coming from. Small timeouts will be enough especially to start off with.

Timeouts for all game types, but ranked matches need to penalize a nice chunk of ranking points. If you are going to do a pick up game where you might have to bounce mid match, don't play ranked. It is such a small commitment to play 5-8 minutes for a single match. Quitting ranked needs to be more than match making time out. Because right now, quitting puts an unreasonable burden on the teammates left short handed.

Games last five minutes, there is not much excuse for leaving short of some kind of masked assailant smashing in through your window, and that's not too common.

If you're not sure you can devote five entire minutes to a game then, well, you shouldn't be starting games. No punishment is too harsh ;)

lt519

Game is crazy amounts of fun but I was hit last night with crippling lag spikes after a ton of smooth play. This has been a problem with me before and I'm not sure how to fix it. I am hardwired in, it was 12:30AM and no other devices in my apartment were on, and I could immediately stream video fine after I stopped playing. I'm not sure if the system heating up could cause this? Are there some settings I should check on my PS4? It's very burst-y..

Skyzard

Banned
Game is crazy amounts of fun but I was hit last night with crippling lag spikes after a ton of smooth play. This has been a problem with me before and I'm not sure how to fix it. I am hardwired in, it was 12:30AM and no other devices in my apartment were on, and I could immediately stream video fine after I stopped playing. I'm not sure if the system heating up could cause this? Are there some settings I should check on my PS4? It's very burst-y..

Someone mentioned that if a server is lagging it's usually not all of them so when you go to find a match, try a different one. If you've got it selected to all then chances are it's playing in your home region and so untick everything and pick a different one. Then try another. Otherwise it might be all of them for a while. They haven't been great (the servers).

Games last five minutes, there is not much excuse for leaving short of some kind of masked assailant smashing in through your window, and that's not too common.

If you're not sure you can devote five entire minutes to a game then, well, you shouldn't be starting games. No punishment is too harsh ;)

Timeouts for all game types, but ranked matches need to penalize a nice chunk of ranking points. If you are going to do a pick up game where you might have to bounce mid match, don't play ranked. It is such a small commitment to play 5-8 minutes for a single match. Quitting ranked needs to be more than match making time out. Because right now, quitting puts an unreasonable burden on the teammates left short handed.

It's fair enough but still you can't be too mean with the timeouts. Like take away some points and time them out for like 5 minutes. I wouldn't object to a hat of shame that obstructs some of their view for a round :p Or forced to wait for other hatters.

I think doing the timeout and point stuff on a first offense is still fair as if you had to go then you have to go and they can understand the point deduction. That's reasonable. You're always going to get leavers. They suck but coming down really strongly is a bit of a buzzkill. Makes the game too serious.

LordofPwn

Leaving would be ok in ranked if the rating system would calculate for the fact that you were down a person. winning down 1 person should bump you up more than a regular win, and losing while short handed shouldn't cause your rating to drop as much as a regular loss.

Say you have 2 teams of 500 rated people in a 3v3 match. the teams average skill is 500.

if someone drops, their teams average skill rating should drop to 333. because having a person missing is like having a person with a 0 skill rating.

I'd expect a 333 vs a 500 to not do well at all.

lt519

Someone mentioned that if a server is lagging it's usually not all of them so when you go to find a match, try a different one. If you've got it selected to all then chances are it's playing in your home region and so untick everything and pick a different one. Then try another. Otherwise it might be all of them for a while. They haven't been great (the servers).

I was playing in the same town as 3 buddies of mine and one of them literally a block away on the same service provider. He wasn't experiencing any lag. Pretty sure that shouldn't happen? Even my voice chat becomes completely cut out to them, but I can hear them fine.

Skyzard

Banned
Leaving would be ok in ranked if the rating system would calculate for the fact that you were down a person. winning down 1 person should bump you up more than a regular win, and losing while short handed shouldn't cause your rating to drop as much as a regular loss.

Say you have 2 teams of 500 rated people in a 3v3 match. the teams average skill is 500.

if someone drops, their teams average skill rating should drop to 333. because having a person missing is like having a person with a 0 skill rating.

I'd expect a 333 vs a 500 to not do well at all.

Absolutely agree with taking more into account for the rankings for score based positions instead of more win based.

I was playing in the same town as 3 buddies of mine and one of them literally a block away on the same service provider. He wasn't experiencing any lag. Pretty sure that shouldn't happen?

He might have got placed on a different server for those matches...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom