• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case ya'll missed the Unreal Engine stream Dave Hagewood said out of the 35-40 people at Psyonix only about ten made Rocket league. Now with it's popularity it's all hands on deck working hard to expand on and improve every aspect of the game. Excited to see what these changes will be.

BShadowJ

Now that the SARPBC secret is out, I can't help but do it whenever I start the game bwahahahah

And I think I'll finally pass 1000 on Ranked 3v3... Dunno why but it felt harder than the push for 1000 on Ranked Doubles :/

Paskil

Any consensus on the best mode or match to improve all around play? My defense and general driving has gotten a lot better but I feel like I need to improve a lot more.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
In case ya'll missed the Unreal Engine stream Dave Hagewood said out of the 35-40 people at Psyonix only about ten made Rocket league. Now with it's popularity it's all hands on deck working hard to expand on and improve every aspect of the game. Excited to see what these changes will be.

Absolutely! As long as they don't add too much and ruin the simplicity that makes the game so brilliant. But they're probably very aware of what makes this shit work so well.

Any consensus on the best mode or match to improve all around play? My defense and general driving has gotten a lot better but I feel like I need to improve a lot more.
In my opinion 2v2 would be the best mode the improve outside of the training dedicated modes. With 2v2 there's not many people clustering at the ball which let's you focus more, while at the same time forces you to get used to having a teammate and understanding how you can set each other up and not fuck each other up.

In my opinion 2v2 would be the best mode the improve outside of the training dedicated modes. With 2v2 there's not many people clustering at the ball which let's you focus more, while at the same time forces you to get used to having a teammate and understanding how you can set each other up and not fuck each other up.

I should play more 2vs2. You make some good points.

I have literally only played 3vs3.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I've only played 1v1 in player matches and I've had so many tense awesome matches. It's a real one of a kind mode. I think tomorrow I'll give ranked a go.

The Cowboy

Gotta love when a shot is going straight into the goal and a team mate try's to steal it and bumps it off course.

Had that happen 3 times in 1 match earlier, I'd ram that ball towards the net and then have this one team mate always wush in full speed to try and nab it to grab the goal - and every bloody time they sent it away from the net (a part of me thought it was a spy on our team :D).

Still, good times was had - even when i get annoyed in Rocket League i still can't help but smile.

Salsa

I can basically make my gaf avatar in this game

WHirJLD.jpg

is there a "backpack with dynamite" flag? :p

Lunar FC

Feels like people are leaving ranked matches earlier and earlier.

edit: Now here is my post in a more angry fashion that I appreciate:

Thanks for leaving me at 0-1, asshole. Thanks for the ranking points I'll now inevitably lose thanks to your miserable loser ass. Can't fucking wait for leaver punishment to be implemented.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Thanks for leaving me at 0-1, asshole. Thanks for the ranking points I'll now inevitably lose thanks to your miserable loser ass. Can't fucking wait for leaver punishment to be implemented.

EDIT: Only lost it 1-3, at least...

Agreed, 2v2 is my favorite mode by far. It gives you space to practice your skills while also forcing you to learn how to cooperate. In 3v3 things start getting a bit messy (unless people really know what they're doing), and 4v4 is just chaos.

aro52

Feels like people are leaving ranked matches earlier and earlier.

This is why I've been avoiding the ranked matches. I'd love to get in there and start earning a skill rank (old SOCOM style... Dunham?!), but all this talk of people dropping at the first sign of things not going there way is scaring me off. I'll stick to Standard for now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Haha, man, 1v1 players just keep forfeiting once they're down 3-0 or so. Happens almost every time. Not that it bothers me much, I don't lose anything from it right? I guess maybe I would have gotten more skill points had I been allowed to score a few more goals? Either way, they should still be punished for it.

DBT85

This is why I've been avoiding the ranked matches. I'd love to get in there and start earning a skill rank (old SOCOM style... Dunham?!), but all this talk of people dropping at the first sign of things not going there way is scaring me off. I'll stick to Standard for now.

It's not every match and I've found it happens less as you rank up.

Frankly it works for and against you so equals out.

Does this game attempt to match teams with teams, or does it not take that into consideration? I'd love to try out 2v2 but since I play solo I'm afraid of running into dominating parties.

Also, three times in a row last night the teams didn't shuffle between matches. Not sure if the opposite team was a party of three or not, but I thought that was weird.

Apt101

This game is tough but fun. My first match I had one assist and a defense, had to struggle for that. A guy with the handle "Rainmaker" funnily enough buried us with four goals. :D

Great game to get for "free" on PSN. I can see myself getting in a match or two every time I turn on my PS4 and have an extra 20 minutes to burn.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's not every match and I've found it happens less as you rank up.

Frankly it works for and against you so equals out.

At 600+ it still seems to happen very frequently. Maybe not as much as half the time, but not far from it. Granted, that's not a super-high skill rating, but yeah.

Guess you're right about your second point though.

Stillmatic

I thought this month was just another drab PS+ month. But I gave this a download thanks to GAF impressions and it's just awesome fun.

I really need to get my timing right on the bounces, I could've had so many awesome goals! Really fun playing by yourself against bots, but it's a different level playing online.

Tomtis

How does the pointssystem work? What determines how many points you get in ranked? I am playing 2v2 with a dude who is like 1100 and i have 600 and i have noticed we get the same amount of points when we win (i thought the one with worse rank got more points al'a NHL and FIFA).

It kinda sucks since i only play ranked with him and this makes it impossible for me to close in on him.

And is it the one who searches for games who determines how skilled of opponent we get? Which rank is that based of? Combined?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I thought this month was just another drab PS+ month. But I gave this a download thanks to GAF impressions and it's just awesome fun.

I really need to get my timing right on the bounces, I could've had so many awesome goals! Really fun playing by yourself against bots, but it's a different level playing online.

Yeah, learning to wait the ball out and striking only when the time is right, instead of just wildly flipping underneath it, is one of the most important steps in transitioning from "I don't know what I'm doing, lol" to "hey, I might have something here". Also, it's important to realize that you don't have to do a quick tap-tap on X/A every time. If you hold the button on the first press you get more height, and then you can do the actual flip higher up and hit the ball before anyone else does (unless you're dealing with crazy flying people, of course).

also a quick questions, how does the win count with the cars work? my win counter seems to never go up

Item stats are broken in online play, getting fixed in the next patch.

Tomtis

And yeah, i agree with those who think 2v2 rocks. That is definitely the best way to learn conquer the game. 3v3 is a later project!

Ace001

Ha! Friend and I played a game or two, one with and one against. We were convinced you were an AI (we didn't know the button to check teammates). You were pretty much our boogeyman two nights ago!

Pretty sure you joined in our first game and effectively won the match for us by scoring a ton of goals, so that's where that started. We've were screaming BUZZZZZZ! at eachother any time we think someone is just out of nowhere tearing it up.

cracking me up over here my god

I thought he was AI too by mostly because of the name. I didn't think you could get a common name like buzz on psn... But I see he's on PC

How do the names work? Some people have spaces in their name... Are these people PC?
How do I know who bots are?

Nabs

I thought he was AI too by mostly because of the name. I didn't think you could get a common name like buzz on psn... But I see he's on PC

How do the names work? Some people have spaces in their name... Are these people PC?
How do I know who bots are?

The bot will have AI as their avatar on the scoreboard.

Salsa

2v2 is def the most fun. gives you chance to pull off stuff without the frustration of uncordinated players messing you up

3v3 can get messy. can't even imagine playing 4v4

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
2v2 is def the most fun. gives you chance to pull off stuff without the frustration of uncordinated players messing you up

3v3 can get messy. can't even imagine playing 4v4
I think 3v3 is the best balance.

2v2 has more momentum swings whereas I think team co-ordination really shines in 3v3. I really feel that third player adds a third role to the team (whatever that role may be) and that diversifies things quite a bit. You can SOL in 2v2 sometimes, and it can reduce itself to a 1v1 with goalies depending on the team, but 3v3 can give you those options and more. When the average player gets better I'm certain this is going to get more apparent.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Holy shit, just had an epic 1v1. I started off getting an easy 3-0 lead in about 20 seconds (actually expected him to rage-quit at that point, but was happily surprised that he didn't), but then I got sloppy, and a while later it was 4-4. Then he got another one in, and it was 4-5. I thought to myself "I cannot lose this, not with the start I had!", and with 30 seconds to go I got the equalizer in. "Sigh, good, I'll make it to overtime at least!" But then I put the winning 6-5 in, and it was a done deal. Just felt so good.

In some ways I actually like 1v1 the best. It's just a pure test of strength and skill between two players on equal footing, with no random teammates to shift the balance in or against your favor.

Stillmatic

Yeah, learning to wait the ball out and striking only when the time is right, instead of just wildly flipping underneath it, is one of the most important steps in transitioning from "I don't know what I'm doing, lol" to "hey, I might have something here". Also, it's important to realize that you don't have to do a quick tap-tap on X/A every time. If you hold the button on the first press you get more height, and then you can do the actual flip higher up and hit the ball before anyone else does (unless you're dealing with crazy flying people, of course).

Yeah I have a habit of double tapping instead of holding for more height. Thanks for the tips! I usually circle the like a shark while the ball's in the air, then dive in for the attack when I think the timing's right, but yeah, usually it's wrong lol. It'll come with more practice I think.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I wish there was a way to see how many ranking points people have in ranked. I imagine it's always pretty close to your own, but still I'd like to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom