• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game is crazy amounts of fun but I was hit last night with crippling lag spikes after a ton of smooth play. This has been a problem with me before and I'm not sure how to fix it. I am hardwired in, it was 12:30AM and no other devices in my apartment were on, and I could immediately stream video fine after I stopped playing. I'm not sure if the system heating up could cause this? Are there some settings I should check on my PS4? It's very burst-y..

That is too bad because I've never had a single issue with lag.

It's fair enough but still you can't be too mean with the timeouts. Like take away some points and time them out for like 5 minutes. I wouldn't object to a hat of shame that obstructs some of their view for a round :p Or forced to wait for other hatters.

I think doing the timeout and point stuff on a first offense is still fair as if you had to go then you have to go and they can understand the point deduction. That's reasonable. You're always going to get leavers. They suck but coming down really strongly is a bit of a buzzkill. Makes the game too serious.

Five minutes seems too short. You shouldn't be able to get back into a new game quicker by quitting than playing out the match you quit because it went to 0-2 in the first minute. It has to be a time out of at least 10 minutes for first offense (ranked), and then a cool down timer of maybe 2 hours where each subsequent quitting compounds your time out if you quit again during the cool down. Unranked, maybe the 10 minute timeout starts after two quits within an hour, and then it will compound from there. With all the server issues, disconnects have not ever been a problem. Once you are in a match ,you tend to be good to go. In terms of laggy servers, not sure what they can do about that other than provide an option within the first two minnutes of the match for a team or even the entire server to unanimously vote for a forfeit. They would still lose some ranking points, but it wouldn't count as a quit.

Anyone else experience a ton of micro-anger with this game? Like, I haven't raged in videos games since I was a teenager, I just don't really see the point of getting mad during a game. Same with RL, losing doesn't bother me. However, I constantly curse anytime I miss a simple hit or a easy opportunity. I think it is because I know I can do better, and missing a clearance hit only to watch the ball be smashed in your own net uncontested is awful. I guess it isn't even really micro-anger so much as does Rocket League anyone else to curse like a sailor?

I get more upset when playing offline against bots. Part of it is feeling like I should do well in a "controlled" environment. Played online for the first time last night, and hardly got upset at all. Just disappointed when I'd whiff on a ball or perhaps a little exasperated when a teammate did something inexplicable (like not defend when they're furthest back). Otherwise, it's all in good fun, whether it's accidental own goals or having a ball dead to rights and a teammate fly in and hit it into the corner.

A season of pro bots is completely meaningless to how the AI plays with a pair of good players against a random team of opponents.

I wouldn't say offline seasons with pro bots are meaningless. Although I do think the online AI is more aggressive and accurate (maybe between Pro and All-Star?), they can still be just as indecisive at times, especially when their human teammates haven't committed to attack or defend the goal. If you're used to playing Pro bots offline, they can be faked out sometimes (even the All-Star ones). The online bots seem to be pretty close. However, I've only played a handful of matches with bots online. I have much more experience with the offline bots. So I'll have to continue playing online to see if they're that much different.

Skyzard

Banned
Only thing that really ticks me off is when I'm lined up for a good shot and a teammate comes and smacks it from out of nowhere in the wrong direction instead of just leaving it, because they got this far they have to hit it first. I try and not hold a grudge lol. Usually settles. It can happen sometimes of course but if there's a pattern...I know they're just new but seeing higher level people do it gets to me. Still happens every 10 games or so.

I don't laugh as much during a mp game as I do in this though, especially when knocking other cars back into the goal to distract them for a while, I don't think they ever really expect it, focusing on the ball and lining themselves up.

Five minutes seems too short. You shouldn't be able to get back into a new game quicker by quitting than playing out the match you quit because it went to 0-2 in the first minute. It has to be a time out of at least 10 minutes for first offense (ranked), and then a cool down timer of maybe 2 hours where each subsequent quitting compounds your time out if you quit again during the cool down. Unranked, maybe the 10 minute timeout starts after two quits within an hour, and then it will compound from there. With all the server issues, disconnects have not ever been a problem. Once you are in a match ,you tend to be good to go. In terms of laggy servers, not sure what they can do about that other than provide an option within the first two minnutes of the match for a team or even the entire server to unanimously vote for a forfeit. They would still lose some ranking points, but it wouldn't count as a quit.

Sounds good to me. 5 mins is too short, you're right. eg someone scores like 2 goals in the first minute and someone leaves, they'd save time in their mind.

lt519

That is too bad because I've never had a single issue with lag.

I've been reading, sounds weird but it actually may be my controller going in/out range of Bluetooth especially with the system heating up (stand does have vents underneath), behind a glass door, and the battery draining. I never paid attention to whether I was plugged in or not. My voice gets cut in and out to them, but I hear them fine, which to me doesn't point to network problems?

He might have got placed on a different server for those matches...

Oh, just figured everyone in a match would be on the same server

Skyzard

Banned
Oh, just figured everyone in a match would be on the same server

Oh I assumed you asked him generally, not that you were in the same match.
From my experience other people are usually affected when there's lag...but maybe not always, who knows.

About it possibly being heat related I'm not sure... I've heard this game does cause blowdryer levels of noise on PS4. But if it was out of control the PS4 ought to keep that in check (- do you think it reaches max fan speed with this game, like max speed for quite a while?).
But with this game having a lot of server related lag issues I wouldn't jump to that after one night or only a few matches and not checking different servers and asking more people. Though if your PS4 is out of warranty it's not the worst idea to read a guide and check/apply some thermal paste to keep it cooler but I wouldn't worry at all yet.

Next time it happens try different servers, ask if others are experiencing the same even in different servers, and then try offline games and see if it still happens there as well.

I used to play online with Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (Everybody's Golf). If you were in a tournament and quit, you had to wait until the time when that tour would be over to get into another one (which could be nearly an hour later!). Since Rocket League matches take a minimum of five minutes, the minimum timeout should be at least five minutes. I would vote for 10 minutes or perhaps 15.

Only thing that really ticks me off is when I'm lined up for a good shot and a teammate comes and smacks it from out of nowhere in the wrong direction instead of just leaving it, because they got this far they have to hit it first. I try and not hold a grudge lol. Usually settles. It can happen sometimes of course but if there's a pattern...I know they're just new but seeing higher ranked people do it gets to me. Still happens every 10 games or so.

This kills me, happened twice in a match today: perfectly lined up goal with no enemies in sight and a teammate boosts in from the side and rams it. Scrubs just chase after the ball with no rhyme or reason, it's hard to play with people like that.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
ranked doubles with randoms? no thanks. you are brave.

I play ranked doubles with randoms and I too am in the 700s. It's not so bad especially once you level up. It gets to a point where you're matched only with people who know what they're doing. With that said rage quitters are a thing regardless of your rank.

I play ranked doubles with randoms and I too am in the 700s. It's not so bad especially once you level up. It gets to a point where you're matched only with people who know what they're doing. With that said rage quitters are a thing regardless of your rank.

Yeah I'm forced to play ranked with randoms too.

It's a dangerous world we live in.

J. Bravo

getting tired of playing wtih randoms. add me on psn: TheHaighter with your gaf name in message. I'm ok i guess. gotten a lot better over the past few days haha.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
good: ~500
Great: 1000+
Awesome: 1500+
MLG: 2000+

At what point do you get an actual ranking? Is it just the top 100? A shame if so, would be nice to know whether I'm in the top 10,000 or the top 5,000 or whatever.

Also, how are the points actually calculated? Do you always lose points when you lose a match, or is it more up to your individual performance?

Yeah once I got to around 600 or so I started getting teammates I could somewhat count on as being two way players, as long as we don't go down a goal lol

Every once in a while I get a teammate that makes me scratch my head that they got to 700+. Hitting the ball just to hit it, when I'm lined up and about to shoot on net. Not understanding starting position roles, especially frustrating when they're on PC and can't see when I declare my intentions.

Valkrai

At what point do you get an actual ranking? Is it just the top 100? A shame if so, would be nice to know whether I'm in the top 10,000 or the top 5,000 or whatever.

Also, how are the points actually calculated? Do you always lose points when you lose a match, or is it more up to your individual performance?

I think it's

0-499 Rookie, 500-999 Pro, 1000-1499 All Star, and 1500+ Veteran. I'm guessing the last part, haven't reached it yet.

God, I need to find a teammate to play with. Lost because of a worthless teammate who kept screwing up my goals. He rage quit and I got 3 goals in a row right after. Lost 4-5 sadly

LordofPwn

no idea when you get the actual rankings other than top 100. im sure they disabled it for everyone else because of server traffic though.

There are divisions, i'm division 9 in regular leaderboards but i have no idea what that actually means, other than its better than division 10.

In ranked no one really knows how they calculate it. wins are more important than individual performance though.

BShadowJ

I've never, ever seen my ranking update on the leaderboards, not even when I was top 100. As in, I could find myself when I was top 100 and see my ranking that way, but underneath the top 100, where your name appears and your rating and your ranking should be? Never. So I don't know, maybe it's bugged or they turned that off because of the server issues.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think it's

0-499 Rookie, 500-999 Pro, 1000-1499 All Star, and 1500+ Veteran. I'm guessing the last part, haven't reached it yet.

I know about those, I'm talking about your actual ranking. Like how one person is #1, one is #2, etc.

no idea when you get the actual rankings other than top 100. im sure they disabled it for everyone else because of server traffic though.

There are divisions, i'm division 9 in regular leaderboards but i have no idea what that actually means, other than its better than division 10.

In ranked no one really knows how they calculate it. wins are more important than individual performance though.

I've never, ever seen my ranking update on the leaderboards, not even when I was top 100. As in, I could find myself when I was top 100 and see my ranking that way, but underneath the top 100, where your name appears and your rating and your ranking should be? Never. So I don't know, maybe it's bugged or they turned that off because of the server issues.

Ok, thanks. Hope they reenable this or fix it if it's broken. Right now I only now I'm not in the top 100 (lol), and how I stack up against the people on my friends list. Would be nice to know how it's looking overall.

Salsa

second day playin. dat feel when you start getting the hang of air play

DelayedMenacingKillerwhale.gif

Salsa

Yeeeah, if you did that on your second day, on purpose, you're pretty good! Did you play SARPBC?

nope. I played the alpha for this once before (hence my kewl hat) but for some reason the netcode was all screwed up (unlike this final release)

I just managed to get 6 hours into it and been practicing air play lately since it seems to be where most rookies / semi pros are lacking so you're basically alone trying to go for high up balls

QYpn3Ot.png

if that defense was any good tho he would have been able to block it right there on the goal. fraction of a second to better line up the shot and it would have come out better

RoadHazard

Gold Member
nope. I played the alpha for this once before (hence my kewl hat) but for some reason the netcode was all screwed up (unlike this final release)

I just managed to get 6 hours into it and been practicing air play lately since it seems to be where most rookies / semi pros are lacking so you're basically alone trying to go for high up balls

QYpn3Ot.png

if that defense was any good tho he would have been able to block it right there on the goal. fraction of a second to better line up the shot and it would have come out better

Well, good job then!

iosefe

It's dangerous to go alone

(random 2v2 teammate kept super speed and reckless, bumping me SO MUCH. he proceeded to quit when we were down 7)

DBT85

Timeouts for all game types, but ranked matches need to penalize a nice chunk of ranking points. If you are going to do a pick up game where you might have to bounce mid match, don't play ranked. It is such a small commitment to play 5-8 minutes for a single match. Quitting ranked needs to be more than match making time out. Because right now, quitting puts an unreasonable burden on the teammates left short handed.

Penalising ranking points just puts quitters at the bottom of the pile, right where bad/new players play who complete their games but just aren't very good.

Just because someone is shit at the game they shouldn't get forced to play with jokers who just quit matches all the time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Fucking losers quitting on their teammates in 2v2 ranked. Hey, dipshit, we were losing the game because of YOU. Oh well. I stayed on and fought, and actually let in fewer goals on my own than with him there.

Also, I'm considering disabling cross-play. Sorry PC gamers, I have nothing against you, but not being able to communicate at all, even via quick chat, sucks. Makes good teamwork difficult, unless both/all people really know what they're doing. Actually, I don't really understand why this is. If they can sync the match state between PS4 and console, why not a few short text messages?

Game is an absolute blast, I love it!

Everything is so smooth, you can even play in the Free Play before joining online matches.

Only complaints I have is people leaving games, there should be a harsher punishment for that, in ranked especially. Maybe there is a punishment already ? If so it should be shown more clearly with a warning box when leaving.

Also I just got into a 1v3 match because the matchmaking couldn't find 2 other players for my team. That wasn't fun.

Other than that the game is great, I love it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Game is an absolute blast, I love it!

Everything is so smooth, you can even play in the Free Play before joining online matches.

Only complaints I have is people leaving games, there should be a harsher punishment for that, in ranked especially. Maybe there is a punishment already ? If so it should be shown more clearly with a warning box when leaving.

Also I just got into a 1v3 match because the matchmaking couldn't find 2 other players for my team. That wasn't fun.

Other than that the game is great, I love it.

Punishment for leavers is coming, luckily.

Skyzard

Banned
Punishment for leavers is coming, luckily.

That last thing he describes about getting into 1v3 game (even ranked) I've seen before...like I assume somewhere between them counting down to join and them loading up, they disconnected and it still starts the game.

Doesn't happen all that often though.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just played a game where there was some sort of glitch where when I scored the game didn't count it. Then the other team scored and it did count. OH COME ON!

Also I'm in the 800s in ranked doubles now. Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom