• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDanimal

So my friend and I are playing doubles, we go up 4-1 and the other team quits. Whatever, we get points. The very next team we get matched up with the SAME GUYS. I chat them, "Lol hi." One of the guys responds "Shut up." My friend and I laugh it off and proceed to go up 2-0. Being the hilarious person that I am, I sent "Are you gonna quit now?" We go up 3-0 and he leaves. My friend and I die of laughter and proceed to beat his friend 10-1. I felt kind of bad, but I regret nothing :D

valeo

Maps will always be free, and from the looks of it, nearly identical in shape. :(

I can understand them not wanting to go too zany yet; especially with the e-sports scene kicking off pretty well. I do hope that we have some weird maps in the future with big ramps etc though.

Brashnir

I can understand them not wanting to go too zany yet; especially with the e-sports scene kicking off pretty well. I do hope that we have some weird maps in the future with big ramps etc though.

the NFL don't change the football map. This game is better only having the one map with aesthetic changes.

Lunar FC

the NFL don't change the football map. This game is better only having the one map with aesthetic changes.

This isn't a sport, who cares. Anybody who played the original utopia knows how fun it was. If 'esports' is what's keeping them from adding map variety, then good lord that is disappointing.

Brashnir

This isn't a sport, who cares. Anybody who played the original utopia knows how fun it was. If 'esports' is what's keeping them from adding map variety, then good lord that is disappointing.

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with esports. Adding a bunch of variants to a game doesn't necessarily make it better.

There are a billion chess variants out there. They almost all suck. A game that gets it right doesn't need a bunch of different maps.

Lunar FC

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with esports. Adding a bunch of variants to a game doesn't necessarily make it better.

There are a billion chess variants out there. They almost all suck. A game that gets it right doesn't need a bunch of different maps.

I get your point, but it was my favorite map from the first game and them calling this by the same name and having it being nothing alike is what bums me out.

Brashnir

I get your point, but it was my favorite map from the first game and them calling this by the same name and having it being nothing alike is what bums me out.

Fair enough. I didn't play the first game, so I'm willing to agree to disagree.

That said, I really chafe at the productized nature of iteration in videogames, and think it mostly comes at the expense of quality games. That long-standing bias certainly colors my opinions here.

Mechazawa

New layout. :O

One step closer to that ridiculous circle map from the original.

Edit: Oh wait, I don't see any proper boundaries beyond the stairs. So maybe it's not a new layout and we can't actually hit the ball up there. Psyonix why.

My best save yet.
FRvKXWr.gif

valeo

Fair enough. I didn't play the first game, so I'm willing to agree to disagree.

That said, I really chafe at the productized nature of iteration in videogames, and think it mostly comes at the expense of quality games. That long-standing bias certainly colors my opinions here.

I don't see why we can't have the original maps + a few zany ones; perhaps they should be in different rotations though. This early in the game, I can see why they wouldn't want to split the playerbase like that. I just think there is a lot of potential for some crazy stuff.

Considering the fact they likely got inspiration from UT mod CarBall (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wzkj39b08I) , I'm sure they are well aware of how fun crazy mutators/mods/maps can be.

Interestingly, Psyonix created the vehicles for UT and Onslaught mode.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Anyone else regularly swap between PS4 and PC? Anyone else hate the PS4 version with a fiery fucking passion?

im playing both, dont know what you mean..
ps4 version is fine.

The input lag after playing on PC ruins me. I feel like I'm 60% of the player on PS4 (this crawls up as I get used to it). I guess I'm just tired so it's annoying me more than usual.

I'd love to 1v1 a clone of myself on PS4/PC though..

ok, as i know you got a new TV (creepy stalker lol) it seems obvious that your TV ads the lag.
change your TV to "Gaming mode" or disable every feature of your tv that soudns like it makes the picture nicer.
most of these ad additional lag.

That's what it said here:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...re_worth_revisiting_A_Rocket_League_story.php

Based on that it also shows that it will come but it seems making launch in general had priority.

Ah thanks for the link.

So we have to make sure there's nothing that can cross that barrier of liability to either side. That's been one of the biggest challenges, figuring out how to make it so players can communicate without breaking any of those rules.

Sounds like maybe they can only allow quick chat. Which is fine because normally you can only get a couple saved dictionary words out on PS4 anyways unless you have a keyboard.

Finally able to play this and after a good hour of insanity, I love it. Without a doubt, the most fun game I've played in a good minute. Even though I'm pretty terrible right now, it hasn't stopped my enjoyment one bit.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I love playing on Steam. Just add me "shibafan" :)

Also, thanks to all the GAFers who tuned in and gave me advices on how to play RL better !

Donos

Played 3vs3 a while on easy (season) then changed up to 2vs2 with higher difficulty because i constantly won. Now i'm constantly losing... I manage to do 1-3 goals but get always like 4.

Also glad that i'm playing with bots...nothing more embarrasing than racing past a ball, going slowly to your own goal and fumbling the (easy) save. Ball cam can sometimes really fuck your aim.

Would constantly apologize if i would play with real people...

wont the massive metal sphere moving at 80 km/h smash into the crowd in the stands in this new stage?

I mean, it's not even like the stands to go see Shamu, where you *might* get wet. This is "at some point this huge ass ball is GOING to fly into you 100% guaranteed"

0/10 DLC absolutely illogical ty psyonix

Maps are free; the dome can be unlocked for US$7.99.

shmoglish

Played 3vs3 a while on easy (season) then changed up to 2vs2 with higher difficulty because i constantly won. Now i'm constantly losing... I manage to do 1-3 goals but get always like 4.

Also glad that i'm playing with bots...nothing more embarrasing than racing past a ball, going slowly to you own goal and fumbling the (easy) save. Ball cam can sometimes really fuck your aim.

Would constantly apologize if i would play with real people...

Start to play with real people and maybe try to switch the cam. Things like this happen all the time, even in the prolevels.

Hopped on earlier for a couple games and ran into some fairly outrageous lag. Frustration quickly gave way to amusement as both teams battled with absolutely zany knuckle ball physics. A 1-1 tie dragged on for 3 minutes or so, when a flurry of goals culminated in a equalizer with 1 second left on the clock. Overtime proved lively, with both sides absolutely unable to corral the magical, teleporting beach ball that simply refused to follow any of the traditional rules of physics. Sadly, the game came to a close after a multi-wall ricochet, but damned if it wasn't fun while it lasted.

This really is a fantastic game that i was playing a lot when i first started but im sad to say that i just cant play it anymore due to the horrendous lag that seems to happen all the time. A little here and there can be ignored for the most part but when its happening all the time and you/the ball/other players are stopping/jumping around it becomes impossible to play.

I have tried specifying to my region but that doesnt really help and my internet is fast with a low ping so im not the problem so i can only assume its down to so many players playing that their servers cant handle it.

I really hope this gets sorted as i would love to play some more but i just cant bring myself to do it right now.

Hasney

This really is a fantastic game that i was playing a lot when i first started but im sad to say that i just cant play it anymore due to the horrendous lag that seems to happen all the time. A little here and there can be ignored for the most part but when its happening all the time and you/the ball/other players are stopping/jumping around it becomes impossible to play.

I have tried specifying to my region but that doesnt really help and my internet is fast with a low ping so im not the problem so i can only assume its down to so many players playing that their servers cant handle it.

I really hope this gets sorted as i would love to play some more but i just cant bring myself to do it right now.

Go to a different region when the lag happens, seems to be when that region is populated. So I only play on US East after work now as Europe gets horrendous after 5pm.

EU servers have been screwed the last few days, select all regions apart from EU if that's where you've been playing.

Go to a different region when the lag happens, seems to be when that region is populated. So I only play on US East after work now as Europe gets horrendous after 5pm.
Thanks for the tip, will give it a try.
EU servers have been screwed the last few days, select all regions apart from EU if that's where you've been playing.
Thats the thing, i have only been using the 'every region' option and only tried Europe only yesterday due to terrible lag but it didnt really change anything.

Will just have to give it a break and try again later i think.

Hasney

Thanks for the tip, will give it a try.

Thats the thing, i have only been using the 'every region' option and only tried Europe only yesterday due to terrible lag but it didnt really change anything.

Will just have to give it a break and try again later i think.

The all regions will search your closest region first, so it's likely you would have been dumped on Europe using that anyway.

Bollocks

after having played ranked 2v2 exclusively we invited a friend only to find out you can't do ranked 3v3, bummer, patch can't come soon enough

Lunar FC

after having played ranked 2v2 exclusively we invited a friend only to find out you can't do ranked 3v3, bummer, patch can't come soon enough

Are they planning on letting parties into 3v3 ranked? I kind of like the aspect of everybody playing with randoms sometimes.

Hasney

Are they planning on letting parties into 3v3 ranked? I kind of like the aspect of everybody playing with randoms sometimes.

Hopefully it's separate so you don't get matched with parties if you go in random. It's what put me off doubles on my own.

Never Give Up! Come back victory in 3v3 ranked.

My team played bad for like 3+ minutes. I did too. I contemplated quitting, since one teammate was particularly annoying, but I decided to accommodate the teammate and ride the luck we got. The first goal came from essentially knowing my teammate would just randomly hit the ball, so I just jumped in the anticipated path and tried knocking it towards goal. In the end we won as a team though.

Speaking of map variety, I found the idea of having maps with the goal slightly inside the edges (so like NHL) intriguing. I'd be down with that since it would lead to new playstyles and strategies. I don't think it would take away from being 'e-sport' either.

Seanspeed

Banned
Just had my first go in the game.

Did some tutorials, did the Rookie->All-Star Goalie and Striker challenges(which I was terrible at in the mid and highest level).

Once I felt I had the gist of the controls down, I did a 1 vs 1 match against AI. Tied with it, but learned a fair bit.

Then jumped straight into a 3 vs 3 online match. Man, it was a total blast. I played pretty cautiously, not just maniacally chasing the ball all the time like it seemed everybody else was doing. Ended up with 3 goals(one of them basically an own goal on the opposing team's side), though, including one pretty awesome shot where everybody was jumping for a bouncer and I nailed that shit just right from halfway across the map after everybody else had whiffed it.

Yea, I'm definitely playing more of this in a little while! :)

Performance isn't really cool, though. This sort of game would have felt so much better at 60fps. I'm playing on PS4 right now and I don't know if its just that 30fps sucks in this, or if its dropping worse than that, but it doesn't feel good. I think I might pick up the PC version here soon.

Performance isn't really cool, though. This sort of game would have felt so much better at 60fps. I'm playing on PS4 right now and I don't know if its just that 30fps sucks in this, or if its dropping worse than that, but it doesn't feel good. I think I might pick up the PC version here soon.

Wait, I thought the ps4 version was 60fps? It certainly feels/looks like 60fps to me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just had my first go in the game.

Did some tutorials, did the Rookie->All-Star Goalie and Striker challenges(which I was terrible at in the mid and highest level).

Once I felt I had the gist of the controls down, I did a 1 vs 1 match against AI. Tied with it, but learned a fair bit.

Then jumped straight into a 3 vs 3 online match. Man, it was a total blast. I played pretty cautiously, not just maniacally chasing the ball all the time like it seemed everybody else was doing. Ended up with 3 goals(one of them basically an own goal on the opposing team's side), though, including one pretty awesome shot where everybody was jumping for a bouncer and I nailed that shit just right from halfway across the map.

Yea, I'm definitely playing more of this in a little while! :)

It's not 30 fps. It's not 60 either (except for one arena), unfortunately, but more like 45-50 most of the time. Would be nice if they could get it to 60 consistently. The grass seems to be the main culprit.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's not 30 fps. It's not 60 either (except for one arena), unfortunately, but more like 45-50 most of the time. Would be nice if they could get it to 60 consistently. The grass seems to be the main culprit.
That explains it. Competitive, fast-paced game like this should really shoot for a consistent framerate. Grass looks nice, but yea, I bet it probably is expensive. I'd gladly dial that shit back for a solid 60fps.

Iced

I'm amazed the PS4 version can't maintain a solid 60fps. The game certainly is pretty with great art direction (that Sega feel!), but it doesn't really seem to be pushing any boundaries. Hopefully this can be patched, because the Steam version is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom