• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got my apprehensive friend to play this with me last night, and I died laughing after he scored his first goal and screamed like a banshee. He's fully converted now :).

Also is there a more dapper combination in the game than the Venom with the Top Hat on? Add the Lucci wheels and the Cash boost and you're straight pimpin.
No pics because I'm at work, but that's how I roll.

BShadowJ

well, i guess you will still demolish us in the tourney. Is the game set for tonight ok with you guys? 10 pm my time would mean in 6 hours, 15 minutes from now on.

I asked cole on Steam but he didn't answer yet... Boo cole ;(

EDIT: He just answered, we are good to go! :)

Pjsprojects

Best Steam purchase in a while! I did get this free with PS+ but the pc version seems to respond much better.

Getting a goal is a blast :)

ChryZ

It would be nice if there was an option to switch grass on/off on the PS4. I'd rather opt for more frames than a useless and too expensive visual effect.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Me and my nephew played this game this weekend on the PS4. WHOA!!!!!! It was fun as a mug!

Skyzard

Banned
I can do the Pro training no problem, but the all-star stuff, for all of them, gets pretty insane, like I'll have to do it 5 times or so before I even get the first tap lol. Long way to go.

PC version does 60fps at 4K with a 980ti. Max it out, turn off ambient occlusion and light shafts (light shafts I didn't even notice the difference on and off in the levels I tested but it dropped GPU load considerably) so it doesn't dip when shit gets nuts.

Hopefully it's separate so you don't get matched with parties if you go in random. It's what put me off doubles on my own.

Sounds like that would create too many playlists. I play ranked with the mentality of facing competitors, so I don't mind when the parties are enabled.

Only playlist we need now is a dedicated Party Maps 4v4 mode, whenever Psyonix decides to release non-standard maps.

Seems like people are wanting different shapes.

Anyone hoping Psyonix also adds more variation to existing maps? Would it be difficult to add a night time theme to the new Utopia Coliseum? It'd look sooo good.

Tried rank today for the first time and you guys weren't kidding about how bad it was. Had lag, quitters, invisible car now I understand all the frustration. On the upside it seems people are more skilled and strategic in rank. Overall still had tons of fun.

Nyx

The upcoming free map:

Rocket%20League%20-%20Utopia%20Coliseum%20First%20Look.jpg

http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/Check-out-Rocket-Leagues-first-free-map

Skyzard

Banned
They're going to have paid for maps? I would have preferred them going the Evolve route where they charge for new vehicles but keep everyone on the same pool of maps.

Looks alright I guess though. Personally I want to see something that has like Wipeout or Tron style. Maybe make it a tiny bit slippery on maps that rain...

Seems they're keen on keeping it very standard though. Chasing ESL -.- instead of focusing on making a fun game with variety.

Nyx

They're going to have paid for maps? I would have preferred them going the Evolve route where they charge for new vehicles but keep everyone on the same pool of maps.

Looks alright I guess though.

Personally I want to see something that has like Wipeout or Tron style. Seems they're keen on keeping it very standard. Chasing ESL -.- instead of focusing on making a fun game.

Maybe make it a tiny bit slippery on maps that rain...

All maps will be free iirc.

Nabs

Looks alright I guess though. Maybe make it a tiny bit slippery on maps that rain...

Personally I want to see something that has like Wipeout or Tron style. Seems they're keen on keeping it very standard. Chasing ESL -.- instead of focusing on making a fun game with variety.

They said all maps will be free.

Skyzard

Banned
Nice nice nice.

---that site mentions long-term plans for rocket league support (in that the developers said that's their plan) but I could have sworn they mentioned Rocket League 2 not long ago? Hope they put that on hold, for a decent while.

Finally got my apprehensive friend to play this with me last night, and I died laughing after he scored his first goal and screamed like a banshee. He's fully converted now :).

Also is there a more dapper combination in the game than the Venom with the Top Hat on? Add the Lucci wheels and the Cash boost and you're straight pimpin.

I'm telling you guys, Sony should bundle Rocket League as a pre-installed download on PS4s for Christmas. Psyonix gets a cut, but should also have like a $20.00 season pass by that time to encourage people to spend money.

I know Sony is busy with huge third party deals, but little Rocket League is an easy sell.

I wish I was head of marketing or something. I'd be including this game in sizzle reels, Gamestop kiosks, Christmas bundles... A Rocket League in every pot.

I wonder what the big wigs at Sony like Shu and Boyes think of Rocket League.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm telling you guys, Sony should bundle Rocket League as a pre-installed download on PS4s for Christmas. Psyonix gets a cut, but should also have like a $20.00 season pass by that time to encourage people to spend money.

I know Sony is busy with huge third party deals, but little Rocket League is an easy sell.iting for ha.

I wish I was head of marketing or something. I'd be including this game in sizzle reels, Gamestop kiosks, Christmas bundles... A Rocket League in every pot.

I wonder what the big wigs at Sony like Shu and Boyes think of Rocket League.

I wonder if they don't push it too much so they avoid the situation of advertising their game for them causing more pressure on MS to get it - who then give them a higher offer to bring it over faster. So you screw yourself as Sony.

Maybe like an advertising for timed exclusivity sort of deal though. Don't think that's actually the case atm.

Bundled with a PS4 for Christmas is a good idea.

Personally I want to see something that has like Wipeout or Tron style. Maybe make it a tiny bit slippery on maps that rain...

Seems they're keen on keeping it very standard though. Chasing ESL -.- instead of focusing on making a fun game with variety.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I could have sworn some of this team worked on Wipeout. A Wipeout map would be freaking awesome. If it's a party map, they could even add speed pads that even push the ball lol.

I feel like they can do two things with maps:

1) Have slight variations that mix things up but keep things at a competitive level (big map like Wasteland, popped out nets, elevated runway ramps)

2) Have completely varied designs that are more party maps than competitive (different shapes)

If I'm not mistaken, they intend to do both, but they will start off slowly with (1), then maybe make maps like (2). I feel like we have enough of the standard maps. Not sure why they think they need to add more, but at the same time, they probably don't want to waste time adding something that is too gimmicky that would lose its flavour after a while.

Wouldn't most people play something like SARPBC's Utopia a few times then go back to the standard maps? A different design has to be solid, but I feel like they can add something very different and very fun, that keeps people coming back. Just not sure what.

I wonder if they don't push it too much so they avoid the situation of advertising their game for them causing more pressure on MS who then give them a higher offer to bring it over. So you screw yourself as Sony.

Maybe like an advertising for timed exclusivity sort of deal though. Don't think that's actually the case atm.

Bundled with a PS4 for Christmas is a good idea.

The challenge is going to get MS to agree to sharing the same servers as PC/PS4, or they'd need to convince Psyonix to setup dedicated Xbox servers and isolate that segment of the player base.

Skyzard

Banned
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I could have sworn some of this team worked on Wipeout. A Wipeout map would be freaking awesome. If it's a party map, they could even add speed pads that even push the ball lol.

I feel like they can do two things with maps:

1) Have slight variations that mix things up but keep things at a competitive level (big map like Wasteland, popped out nets, elevated runway ramps)

2) Have completely varied designs that are more party maps than competitive (different shapes)

If I'm not mistaken, they intend to do both, but they will start off slowly with (1), then maybe make maps like (2). I feel like we have enough of the standard maps. Not sure why they think they need to add more, but at the same time, they probably don't want to waste time adding something that is too gimmicky that would lose its flavour after a while.

Wouldn't most people play something like SARPBC's Utopia a few times then go back to the standard maps? A different design has to be solid, but I feel like they can add something very different and very fun, that keeps people coming back. Just not sure what.

Oh that's nice that they say they plan on doing both. But yeah not sure what's the point of too many more maps that are pretty much the same thing.

I guess if you are going to add party maps then perhaps you don't put them in the ranked rotation/map pool and so they get less playtime...but it adds way more to the variety. - Something appreciated by the people wanting to have fun with your game, and not give up their job to become a professional RL player.

Having party maps that stay in the same standard competitive rotation...I agree that would be hard to design such a map.

The challenge is going to get MS to agree to sharing the same servers as PC/PS4, or they'd need to convince Psyonix to setup dedicated Xbox servers and isolate that segment of the player base.

Even if they don't though, is it that big of a deal? MS joining the same servers? Nice for extra competition I guess...but the servers already...suck. I'm sure they'll have people to play with on x1. And if it's either not coming out at all or out with their own servers, it seems like an easy choice unless I'm missing something.

Birbo

My son and I just started played two nights ago and are having a blast with it. We wanted to play online against other people, but PSN kept asking him to sign in to his account (only I have one). Can't he just play splitscreen online with me as my guest?

Nyx

My son and I just started played two nights ago and are having a blast with it. We wanted to play online against other people, but PSN kept asking him to sign in to his account (only I have one). Can't he just play splitscreen online with me as my guest?

At the sign in screen there should be a guest option no?

Tried rank today for the first time and you guys weren't kidding about how bad it was. Had lag, quitters, invisible car now I understand all the frustration. On the upside it seems people are more skilled and strategic in rank. Overall still had tons of fun.

I dunno, I've found people worse in ranked than in unranked. I've been playing mainly on unranked though, so while I'm at 'Pro' level, my ranked level is low (well, now it's ~400). People have been noticeably worse, which puts me off playing ranked.

I'm amazed the PS4 version can't maintain a solid 60fps. The game certainly is pretty with great art direction (that Sega feel!), but it doesn't really seem to be pushing any boundaries. Hopefully this can be patched, because the Steam version is great.

The game already sounds like it's going to blow up my PS4 as it is.

Skyzard

Banned
Graphically it's pretty great looking game tbh (apart from the aliasing). I was pleasantly surprised. I imagine people are more concerned with 60fps on PS4 but if they're going to tone it down, I hope they leave the options there for how it is on PC.

I dunno, I've found people worse in ranked than in unranked. I've been playing mainly on unranked though, so while I'm at 'Pro' level, my ranked level is low (well, now it's ~400). People have been noticeably worse, which puts me off playing ranked.
Well I've only played a handful of ranked matches so my views are definitely skewed so you may be right and I didn't mean it was significantly better. However what I did see was less of everyone just charging towards the ball and more of people pulling back to defend or whatever.

AwShucks

Two of the worst things about 2v2...being down by two goals and your partner leaving. Do they not play the game? Coming back from two happens all the time.

The worst thing is partners who ALWAYS GO FOR THE BALL 100% of the time. Like, no teamwork, no centering to the other person, no lining up for the shot when I have the obvious path to center it, not listening when I say "I got it" at kickoff. Seriously people, if you want to win try playing it like a 2v2 match and not a 1v2. I've had a few people who will literally go through my, their teammate, just to get to the ball. And then miss it of course half the time. Somehow I've even come across a "Pro" like this.

TheDanimal

Every player has to have an account to go online in rocket league. Annoying, but that's the way it is >.>

nicolajNN

I had a team beg me to quit because it was 3v1, the third player on my team never connected to the game, after 2 goals the second guy quit. I was really tempted to quit until they started whining about it being a waste of time. I still lost 9-1, but I had some good saves

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

I was playing Double Ranked last night and twice I saw opponents whose name is something like:

XYZ
XYZ (2)

Which kind of makes me think it must be two people playing split screen on a single PS4. It would make sense that XYZ (2) would be the guest of XYZ and is playing online together via couch co-op. Maybe try looking into it more to see if you can find that feature.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I was playing Double Ranked last night and twice I saw opponents whose name is something like:

XYZ
XYZ (2)

Which kind of makes me think it must be two people playing split screen on a single PS4. It would make sense that XYZ (2) would be the guest of XYZ and is playing online together via couch co-op. Maybe try looking into it more to see if you can find that feature.
You sure they weren't PC players?

XYZ
XYZ (2)

PS4 version doesn't allow User + Guest split screen online. You have to have both controllers logged into their own, separate PS+ accounts.

Don't forget to put the Union Jack on your antenna.

dsigns1

Two of the worst things about 2v2...being down by two goals and your partner leaving. Do they not play the game? Coming back from two happens all the time.

The worst thing is partners who ALWAYS GO FOR THE BALL 100% of the Time. Somehow I've even come across a "Pro" like this.
Just played with a veteran like this. Just had to hit the ball every single time. No set ups no passes just hit the ball into the wall most the time.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Playing this game on steam. I'm wondering if it's possible to copy and paste "save data" from one of my account to another ? I've unlocked several things with one of my account but I've since created a new one. Can I go into save game folder and just copy and paste into my new account's save game folder and it will work ? How about ranking wise ? Do I get to keep all my ranking and unlocked stuff ?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Clarification on PS4/guest stuff:

Online splitscreen should work for guests if the primary player is logged in, has PS+, and has the console set to their primary console.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/activation.html
One tip in case this doesn't work immediately is for everyone to sign in before launching the game, then the primary player joins first. It can lock you out or give you that error message if people sign while the app is running (consistently been a problem for me).

BShadowJ

Aparently there's a thread on GAF of someone asking for game recommendations because they're getting a PS4... For Rocket League.

Rocket League moving console sales confirmed :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom