• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
15 minutes would do it. I hope they sort out ranking points for matches that end up as 2v3 either from the start of the match or otherwise too.

Just played against a guy who changed his Steam name to Best RL Goalkeeper in ranked 3 vs 3.
He quit after his team was down two goals in the first minute.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Aparently there's a thread on GAF of someone asking for game recommendations because they're getting a PS4... For Rocket League.

Rocket League moving console sales confirmed :eek:

Ehhh you'll see this with a ton of games... A whole bunch of people claim they're buying ps4 now that n++ is out lol.

Either way incredible game, ranking up slowly but surely.

Brashnir

Two of the worst things about 2v2...being down by two goals and your partner leaving. Do they not play the game? Coming back from two happens all the time.

The worst thing is partners who ALWAYS GO FOR THE BALL 100% of the time. Like, no teamwork, no centering to the other person, no lining up for the shot when I have the obvious path to center it, not listening when I say "I got it" at kickoff. Seriously people, if you want to win try playing it like a 2v2 match and not a 1v2. I've had a few people who will literally go through my, their teammate, just to get to the ball. And then miss it of course half the time. Somehow I've even come across a "Pro" like this.

The Pro rank is just a function of XP gain. It just means they've played like 10 hours or so. It doesn't mean they've learned anything in those 10 hours.

Hell I'm a "pro" rank and I'm not very good at the game - though I don't exhibit the kind of behavior you're describing here. I just whiff way more than I feel like I should after playing this much.

Clarification on PS4/guest stuff:

Online splitscreen should work for guests if the primary player is logged in, has PS+, and has the console set to their primary console.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/activation.html
I asked this before and don't recall if I got an answer: is there any chance this can change in the future? I play on my secondary PS4 and it sucks not being able to play splitscreen online when I've got friends over.

Haunted

How I want to play Rocket League:

01-04-2014-GifNumber-258.gif

How I actually play Rocket League:

soccer-miss.gif

soccer-ball-hits-kid-in-the-head.gif

Haunted

I've found a disappointing dearth of "clueless kids running after the ball" .gifs, because one like that would fit best.

KingV

Just played with a veteran like this. Just had to hit the ball every single time. No set ups no passes just hit the ball into the wall most the time.

I have been playing 3 vs 3 with a friend and randoms and we get a lot of bad partners.

The worst is people that just fly headlong at the ball all match regardless of which way the ball is going or which direction they are driving
Hitting the ball towards my goal? "Doesn't matter I touched the ball"

Ball is going to create a score and I knocking it out of the way? "Doesn't matter, I touched the ball".

I think my biggest skill jump in the game was when I learned to sit back and wait for opportunities. I'll probably never be good at aerials, but I can be better than average by just waiting for a good shot and occasionally playing defense while everyone else sits in a pileup.

I asked this before and don't recall if I got an answer: is there any chance this can change in the future? I play on my secondary PS4 and it sucks not being able to play splitscreen online when I've got friends over.

No, isn't our call. We asked about bending the rules but no dice

Grinchy

Banned
15 minutes seems like a lot. But I guess I'm just unpopular opinion puffin right now...

15 is a lot. It should actually be a progressive punishment. The first offense is small, second is slightly bigger, ect. 15 minutes should be after multiple quittings.

I would assume it's not completely possible to know 100% whether someone accidentally DC'd, or someone purposely quit. I would be really pissed if I got DC'd and then couldn't even get back in the game for 15 minutes.

KodaRuss

I've found a disappointing dearth of "clueless kids running after the ball" .gifs, because one like that would fit best.

Ill be honest it has been a while since I have laughed that hard. Thanks for the gifs this was definitely me for the first 5-6 hours.

ArjanN

15 is a lot. It should actually be a progressive punishment. The first offense is small, second is slightly bigger, ect. 15 minutes should be after multiple quittings.

I would assume it's not completely possible to know 100% whether someone accidentally DC'd, or someone purposely quit. I would be really pissed if I got DC'd and then couldn't even get back in the game for 15 minutes.

Not really. If anything it's very low IMO.

KodaRuss

This is how I defend:

etoo2.gif

This is how I chase after the ball:

best-gifs-pt-14-dog-running-after-ball-catapult.gif

Stop Stop!! I am dying. haha

This game has really has a lot of moments where you are thinking "Wow, I missed that completely, I look like an idiot"

It even has the quick comments for @#$%! and Whoops!!

Brashnir

This is how I defend:

etoo2.gif

This is how I chase after the ball:

best-gifs-pt-14-dog-running-after-ball-catapult.gif

100% accurate depiction of my Rocket League play.

If only there was a gif with someone lining up a shot, charging halfway across the field for it, then hitting it way over the goal and having it bounce all the way back for an easy tap-in for the other team.

codhand

Steam version....stuck with 720p as my only option for resolution, changed the sys .ini file to force 1920 x 1080p, didnt work, any ideas??

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I still suck so bad at aerials. In training, I can do the ones where the ball is stationary without much issue. But the ones where the ball is shot in the air at an angle? No chance. Not even slightly. If I'm really lucky I at least hit it, but usually nowhere close to the goal. I just can't judge my distance to the ball when it's coming at me at a 45 degree angle. Sigh.

The Pro rank is just a function of XP gain. It just means they've played like 10 hours or so. It doesn't mean they've learned anything in those 10 hours.

Hell I'm a "pro" rank and I'm not very good at the game - though I don't exhibit the kind of behavior you're describing here. I just whiff way more than I feel like I should after playing this much.

Hmm, not in ranked I believe...? I'm pretty sure your title there (Rookie, Semi-Pro, etc) is decided by your skill rating, which can go up or down.

I'm sure they won't punish people for getting disconnected, only if you actively select to quit the match. Which of course means that people can just jank their ethernet cable out instead, but if you're that devoted to being an asshole... I really don't know what can be done.

Peru

I've netted a few aerial goals, nothing beats that feeling. Feel like it's something I should keep working on because if you can do it it creates a loot of opportunities. I'm getting pretty good at flying with purpose. So far I'm mostly missing the ball, though, obv

I've netted a few aerial goals, nothing beats that feeling. Feel like it's something I should keep working on because if you can do it it creates a loot of opportunities. I'm getting pretty good at flying with purpose. So far I'm mostly missing the ball, though, obv

Any team that is even halfway decent at the air game has a huge advantage, for clearing alone.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What the FUCK. First this guy stands around doing NOTHING when it's his kick-off. Literally nothing. So that's 0-1. Then he does it AGAIN. I save it that time, and he realizes he's in the game, but we can't prevent 0-2. Then we just play so-so, and it's 0-3. And he quits. Fuck this. I'm losing SO MUCH ranking on people who either don't know what they're doing, quit the second something goes wrong (one guy even quit on me like 1s after the first kick-off), or both. It's making this brilliant, wonderful game an excercise in frustration.

I did have one shockingly nice encounter though. We lost like 5-2, but this guy was all "Sorry", "No problem", "gg", right up until the very end. So nice. Surprisingly nice, which is a bit sad. It's so rare to meet someone like that.

weekev

Banned
Aparently there's a thread on GAF of someone asking for game recommendations because they're getting a PS4... For Rocket League.

Rocket League moving console sales confirmed :eek:
That would be my thread! Just got home with my PS4, played a bit of GTAV (never played it on ps3) and fired up Rocket League. Won my very first online game with a goal and an assist, so Im guessing the matchmaking is pretty spot on. Will take a wee while before I want to challenge any Gaffers though!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Aaaaaand that guy left right in the middle of an offensive play. ??? Might have been a disconnect, dunnu. Wish the game told you whether the player is a quitting asshole or was just disconnected.

mkenyon

Banned
Are they planning on letting parties into 3v3 ranked? I kind of like the aspect of everybody playing with randoms sometimes.
Well, splitting it between Ranked (can queue as a party) and non-ranked (solo only) would be the way to do it. The fact that it's opposite is weird to me, especially given the fact that 3v3 is becoming the focus in most of the ladders and tournies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
lol well I didn't expect it to drop so much.

Yeah, beyond just punishing quitters they also need to do something about that. If you get abandoned and still want to do the "decent" thing and try to finish the match on your own, you should not be severely punished for it.

100% accurate depiction of my Rocket League play.

If only there was a gif with someone lining up a shot, charging halfway across the field for it, then hitting it way over the goal and having it bounce all the way back for an easy tap-in for the other team.

giphy.gif

immediately to this
8730826417_b8c1276cc7_o.gif

close enough :p

You guys who are getting so frustrated during ranked should just play normal unranked. Is getting a little number next to your name worth the exercise in frustration?

the 15 minute ban from matchmaking should allow you to play with other banned people. kind of like how GTA online would put cheaters with cheaters. just for those minutes though, in drop in/drop out unranked games.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Note to self: Don't play on Oceania servers when you're in Sweden (I didn't actually choose to do this, the game decided that was the best match for me)! 300+ ms ping, and ridiculous lag. But we won the match!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom