• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

I've played almost exclusively 2v2, and since getting to about 500+ ranked I've jumped into 1v1 and initially really struggled.

However, the fact that you really have to make the most of your chances to hit because you know you don't have backup means that my hits have been getting better.

I can't stand doing 1 v 1. Unless you have near perfect control (which I'm still terrible haha) if you mess up once the opponent can just control the ball right to their goal.

I don't really care for 1v1 either. Until the kickoff structure is changed for 1v1, it feels kind of pointless. I don't find anything particularly thrilling about watching your car hang in air while the ball bounces toward your goal. The techniques and strategies aren't that fun either. I am sure with top level play, 1v1 is exciting, but it just becomes a dull, "wait for their mistake" game at the level I play at. I will work my ass off for a sick aerial goal, then one lucky bounce and the other guy equalizes with doing almost no work. 2v2 is great with a friend and 3v3 is the meat and potatoes of this game for me.

Holy shit, the last goal is amazing, well played!
Thanks!

DBT85

I don't understand what's wrong with the kickoff structure? I played loads of games last night and we had everything from "ball doesn't move at all" through "he missed it because he jumped and I poked it in" all the way to "it bounced around like a loon".

Chabbles

With 1v1 i found you just need to maintain alot of boost. Keep alot in reserve, always, for the right moment to strike(constantly collecting the boost orbs), Hold back and watch for where the ball is headed, dont be jumping around like a headless chicken under the ball, you hold back and watch your opponent do this, And when the ball frees up take advantage.. The worst thing about 1v1 is people quitting imo, its what led me to trying 3v3(after attempting 4v4). Alot more chaotic and fun.

I don't understand what's wrong with the kickoff structure? I played loads of games last night and we had everything from "ball doesn't move at all" through "he missed it because he jumped and I poked it in" all the way to "it bounced around like a loon".

It is just a big dice roll at the start of each match and after every goal that results in tons of skill-less goals. When both cars go for the ball, there is nothing you can do to 100% prevent a dumb luck goal. Add to that that sometimes for no reason your car bounces straight up in the air and just hangs there is frustrating too. Top that off with recent videos showing that car selection can play a roll in the physics of kick off encounters and it becomes a frustrating part of 1v1 and degrades from what is an otherwise intense experience.

DBT85

I think of the games I played I only had 2 from kickoff. One where he umped clean over the ball, and one where we both smashed it and it managed to bounce off the ceiling and just before I could get back.

Had one yesterday where for the first 3 kickoffs the other guy just stayed in goal, still saved all 3 shots.

Still beat him though ;)

Coda

Man, last night I had a 3v3 ranked match where I was completely in the zone. I felt like I couldn't miss, and everything went my way. Ended up with 6 goals and won 7-1. There is a lucky goal, but I definitely was proud of the two aerials, especially goal 7.

https://youtu.be/45ou-UOXLQA

Edit: Oops, looks like I deleted one of the goals from the reel on sharefactory. Oh well, it was a pretty straight forward aerial. What sucks is that my next two matches were garbage.

Damn dude, nice shots!

Noaloha

I'd like the game to track quit percentage in ranked. Initially invisible, after it hits say 5%, show an advisory popup at the main select screen. Once it gets to 10% the quit percentage gets added right there under your name at the lobby alongside rank or whatever, for all to see, where it stays for a week.

I'd like the game to track quit percentage in ranked. Initially invisible, after it hits say 5%, show an advisory popup at the main select screen. Once it gets to 10% the quit percentage gets added right there under your name at the lobby alongside rank or whatever, for all to see, where it stays for a week.
Not sure what this would accomplish since you can't pick who you play with. Just lock them out for a while.

Just got this yesterday and holy shit it's fun. Ended up playing for ~6 hours straight. I even played 2 quick games before work today.. I'm hooked.

Karu

other team scored after 2 seconds. Scorer wrote "don't quit" in the chat. One of the more funnier chat responses (if it was meant that way) :D

Neatless to say, 28 seconds later a team mate of mine quit. *sigh*

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
other team scored after 2 seconds. Scorer wrote "don't quit" in the chat. One of the more funnier chat responses (if it was meant that way) :D

Neatless to say, 28 seconds later a team mate of mine quit. *sigh*
Reminds me of FIFA. In the first 5 minutes of the in-game time you can quit without penalty to your quit-percentage.

Which means as a player you don't score in the first 5 minutes, even if you have the chance.

Massa

Reminds me of FIFA. In the first 5 minutes of the in-game time you can quit without penalty to your quit-percentage.

Which means as a player you don't score in the first 5 minutes, even if you have the chance.

They changed how that works in FIFA, you can only quit without a penalty if the other player agrees to end the match as well. It's pretty awful now, if you suffer from lag and the other person is fine with it you're screwed.

Salsa

I just listened to the DLC podcast for this past week and they featured this game. I believe Jeff Cannata came up with the perfect analogy for this game's skill progression, too.

He said when people first start playing, they play like a six-year-old playing real soccer. We all just run around and try and kick the ball. However, once we get more hours under our belt, we start to learn the nuances of the game: positioning, timing, and playing certain roles.

Also, it might be merely my experience, but when I've ended up on a European server, it feels like people are far less likely to just chase the ball.

im from latin america, and yeah I honestly automatically apply the same things I do when I play real futbol ever since I started playing this. talked about that a bit here before

its interesting in that way

Hasney

I've just started playing on my roof when someone from the other team leaves to make it fair. Scored 2 roof boost goals so far!

Finally starting to sort of get aerial stuff, I cant stop watching my best goals from yesterday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5XjWs39nRY&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBtiWWdAOkQ&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnxkMTfRcI4&feature=youtu.be

They were all happy accidents honestly, most of the time Im just trying to hit the ball and missing.

Practice mode helps to an extent, I can hit balls 90% of the time in the air when they are static in practice mode, but not when they are moving.

Noaloha

Not sure what this would accomplish since you can't pick who you play with. Just lock them out for a while.
It's to pin a badge on repeat offenders, not a utility thing to help you avoid them. The effect impacts psychologically on the wearer of that badge, the type of person who would practice habitual quitting, someone who cares arguably too much about being a 'winner'. The lock is great and much appreciated but it won't stop loss-averse players as they get to the end of their parent-mandated playtime.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So is there any way to see where you rank in the ranked leaderboards? How do the points work? Is it too late to crack the top 100?

J Range

What is the most helpful way to defend if I choose to be the one that stays back?

Right now I play about midfield or a little behind. I go for the knock back and try to keep the pressure on the other team. I try to space myself away from other team mates when I'm playing defense. Of course I'll take the shot if I have it from mid field.

Should I stay far back or just play goalie? What is Everybodies defensive strategies?

nicolajNN

So is there any way to see where you rank in the ranked leaderboards? How do the points work? Is it too late to crack the top 100?

Well hopefully they will fix it so your own rank is shown, in the meantime there isn't really a way. You can try looking on https://rocketleaguestats.com/ that site has leaderboards with the top 500 so if you're that high you can find out.

As for the points it seems to be winning against higher ranked players give more points while lower ranked gives less and vice versa for losing.

The leaderboards will reset on the 1st so it might be too late depending on your current rating

What is the most helpful way to defend if I choose to be the one that stays back?

Right now I play about midfield or a little behind. I go for the knock back and try to keep the pressure on the other team. I try to space myself away from other team mates when I'm playing defense. Of course I'll take the shot if I have it from mid field.

Should I stay far back or just play goalie? What is Everybodies defensive strategies?
Personally, I find the best system to be a cycle system, but you need to have competent teammates (or at least communication), and that doesn't always happen.

Basically depending where the ball is, you stay back far enough that you can react to a big shot being sent your way, but also close enough that you have a chance at going in for a ball and getting it.

If you do happen to go in for a ball, then another teammate rotates back and takes your position.

Doesn't matter if you're playing 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4; that just means you'd have more players in the rotation.

But unfortunately most of the time you'll have a bunch of idiot teammates that BOOST UP TO WHERE THE BALL IS GOING TO FALL and then stop because wasting boost wasn't needed, and then they watch (or perhaps hop jump straight up in the air five feet) as an opponent who understands the logistics of timing and momentum sails over his head and crushes the ball djfasd;ghj;dksghjdskghsdjk

It's always hilarious to me when goaltenders don't realize that you can hold the jump button and go higher. I'll see a replay and they make a little tiny hop and the ball just sails over their head. Even if it's my own team member, I can't help but chuckle. It's just too funny to get angry.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This game definitely has a "zone" like experience where you don't think you just do and it works... Makes it that much worse when youre the worst player on the field the next game.

Nameless

Starting to hit that wall where I'm kind of bored of playing causally but also don't want to committing to really learning the game.

On the bright side this has rekindled my interest in Soccer games so I may grab a copy of FIFA.

Brashnir

This game definitely has a "zone" like experience where you don't think you just do and it works... Makes it that much worse when youre the worst player on the field the next game.

Yeah, totally. After I play a really bad game, I always hit the "ready" button for next game as soon as the prompt comes up so I can show I'm not as terrible as I just looked. Of course, terrible games tend to come in strings, so it usually backfires.

My biggest problem is that I see the opening, envision what I want to happen, and try to move to fast to get to it. I constantly need to tell myself to slow down.

6 straight games with two total strangers.

Won them all.

This is what this game is about. Made two new friends, who just play for fun. Such a good feeling

AwShucks

Starting to hit that wall where I'm kind of bored of playing causally but also don't want to committing to really learning the game.

On the bright side this has rekindled my interest in Soccer games so I may grab a copy of FIFA.

I play ranked 2v2 and finally hit Pro (ranked skill not experience) last night. I am not great at areal hits quite yet, and still whiff from time to time on normal hits, but I think I do pretty good. Score a few times a game, win more than 50% of my matches.

Point is, it tries to match you with like skill in that ranked playlist, so chances are you might do quite good at the beginning since you've been playing and might get pitted against new people.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah, totally. After I play a really bad game, I always hit the "ready" button for next game as soon as the prompt comes up so I can show I'm not as terrible as I just looked. Of course, terrible games tend to come in strings, so it usually backfires.

My biggest problem is that I see the opening, envision what I want to happen, and try to move to fast to get to it. I constantly need to tell myself to slow down.

Definitely I've gotten a ton better at being patient, it gives way more control.

Raven77

I played this last night for the first time in unranked matches (I think?) and I have to say, although it's fun, 9/10 goals were accidental. Is ranked play better? I want to learn to get really good at this game but if its mostly just luck based physics then idk if I want to bother.

I've watched a lot of youtube videos as well and even in ranked play a lot of the goals seem lucky to have gone in.

I played this last night for the first time in unranked matches (I think?) and I have to say, although it's fun, 9/10 goals were accidental. Is ranked play better? I want to learn to get really good at this game but if its mostly just luck based physics then idk if I want to bother.

I've watched a lot of youtube videos as well and even in ranked play a lot of the goals seem lucky to have gone in.

Not luck based. There is a definite skill with controlling your vehicle and controlling the ball. You can even dribble.

If you're new, a lot of the goals will be accidental and a lot of it comes from learning the physics. Trust me, the good players know how to control the map, set up shots, and control direction.

so, for someone that hates american football - any chance i'll like this game?

hard to resist purchasing on steam just to try it out, everyone seems to be loving it!

This is not a luck based game. Sure you can have the odd random goal (or two, or three), but even in unranked matches (which is all I play) there's already been a huge upswing in skill since the first few days. If you play against a few people who really know what they're doing you'll get destroyed. The ball physics + total vehicle control just means there's a big skill gap and very high skill ceiling.

Ferrio

Banned
so, for someone that hates american football - any chance i'll like this game?

hard to resist purchasing on steam just to try it out, everyone seems to be loving it!

Seeing how it has nothing to do with american football.... sure? It's traditional football aka american soccer.

Raven77

This is not a luck based game. Sure you can have the odd random goal (or two, or three), but even in unranked matches (which is all I play) there's already been a huge upswing in skill since the first few days. If you play against a few people who really know what they're doing you'll get destroyed. The ball physics + total vehicle control just means there's a big skill gap and very high skill ceiling.

Hmm, maybe I just had a bad group. Nobody I was playing with was doing much more than rocketing towards the ball, knocking it all over, and occasionally it would bounce around and into the goal or just land right in front of the goal where a cluster F ensued and it was eventually scooted or randomly knocked in.

Hmm, maybe I just had a bad group. Nobody I was playing with was doing much more than rocketing towards the ball, knocking it all over, and occasionally it would bounce around and into the goal or just land right in front of the goal where a cluster F ensued and it was eventually scooted or randomly knocked in.

That will happen, but what you're doing is like playing a shooter and seeing everyone rush a chokepoint over and over and coming to the conclusion that the game is shallow. When you matchmake with randoms, sometimes it gets dumb (still fun as hell IMO). But the more time you spend with the game, the more you pick up on the intricacies of the physics and how to control the ball/field, and the more you'll get matched up with people who really know what they're doing. Trying to beat a team with a godlike goalie and/or players who are properly setting each other up is really difficult.

And that's before even getting into the players who have mastered aerial control. They look like Shaolin masters playing against white belts.

IISANDERII

Personally, I find the best system to be a cycle system, but you need to have competent teammates (or at least communication), and that doesn't always happen.

Basically depending where the ball is, you stay back far enough that you can react to a big shot being sent your way, but also close enough that you have a chance at going in for a ball and getting it.

If you do happen to go in for a ball, then another teammate rotates back and takes your position.

Doesn't matter if you're playing 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4; that just means you'd have more players in the rotation.

But unfortunately most of the time you'll have a bunch of idiot teammates that BOOST UP TO WHERE THE BALL IS GOING TO FALL and then stop because wasting boost wasn't needed, and then they watch (or perhaps hop jump straight up in the air five feet) as an opponent who understands the logistics of timing and momentum sails over his head and crushes the ball djfasd;ghj;dksghjdskghsdjk
Yep, love the cycle system, I wish I could explain this to some of teammates but I have a hard enough time telling them to stay in as a goalie at the kickoff. So many times the dude starting in net abandons it right away and our team gives up a goal. For fuck's sake a;lsf;kldfr;lkg

Raven77

That will happen, but what you're doing is like playing a shooter and seeing everyone rush a chokepoint over and over and coming to the conclusion that the game is shallow. When you matchmake with randoms, sometimes it gets dumb (still fun as hell IMO). But the more time you spend with the game, the more you pick up on the intricacies of the physics and how to control the ball/field, and the more you'll get matched up with people who really know what they're doing. Trying to beat a team with a godlike goalie and/or players who are properly setting each other up is incredibly difficult.

Nice! I'm going to keep playing this, I can already notice i'm getting better with each match and starting to pickup the intricacies of the game.

To celebrate today's 5 million+ player news, we thought we'd show you another screen from our upcoming add-on map!

CLHEetcUYAA-crS.jpg

There are going to be games like that, but the top level players are completely batshit insane and on a completely different skill level than us plebs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tNUImo-OHk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom