• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Had a good series of rounds. I wanted to quit, but I just kept winning! There were two matches with a hardcore goalie on the other team. My team barely won 1-0 since he kept nailing the saves (yes, of course I was the one to score the goal). In the next game they were crushing us. We kept making shots, but the goalie was a wall. A wall that was also a car. It was 4-1 with 90 seconds left. We're done for right? WRONG. I managed to score a goal, undoubtedly inspiring my team. We got it up to 4-3 before they scored another goal. 5-3 with about 50 seconds left. EASY. We came within a point, and with a second ONE SECOND left, we tied it up 5-5 and went into overtime, where we managed to score the winning goal.

v1lla21

People that complain when they get scored on in a laggy match but don't say anything when they score. Lol.

Funny when people realize that if you quit, you can't play for 15 minutes. My cousin was pissed about it.

Unicorn

People that complain when they get scored on in a laggy match but don't say anything when they score. Lol.

Funny when people realize that if you quit, you can't play for 15 minutes. My cousin was pissed about it.
Only the first person, so the other team members that got shafted by a quitter can quit too safely.

I'm sure most of us will be hit with a disconnection or a power cut at some point and have to wait the fifteen minutes. It's a small price to pay though.

THE GREATER GOOD

THE GREATER GOOD

Sullichin

Wonder how quitting penalty works in split screen. Only player 1 needs PS+. Say player 2 quits first and they get the penalty. Then player 1 quits and assumedly doesn't get it. Can player 2 just join back up as player 1 searches for matches? If someone quits in split screen it should put the penalty on the PS+ holder.

Zemm

I changed the color of my vehicle so it unintentionally ended up looking like it was blue when it was really orange. What a clusterfuck of confusion in the next game where I thought I was on one team but was actually on the other.

Also there needs to be a steam GAF RL group if there isn't already.

I think a good addition to help with quitting is to add a forfeit option. If all 3 players vote to forfeit, that's it. There are times where it would be nice

See, that's amazing. AND it's also something I don't understand. .Even in training, I had a hard time completiing the basic drill where you fly around. I barely get off of the ground, even after a double jump and at least attempting to point my nose up.

Any pointers?

Not sure if I'm in the position to try and give pointers, but just like anything... practice, practice, practice. Use free play mode with the infinite boost to just keep trying to get off the ground and get used to the physics.

I haven't been able to repeat anything like that and still whiff most of my aerial hit attempts. Timing is easily my biggest problem and I am nowhere near consistent with where I need to be in relation to the ball. Just keep playing and it'll start to come together.

Last night I was using the ball cam exclusively. Before I was using the normal cam mostly all the time. I was doing pretty good. Like I wasn't just guessing when the to try to hit the ball coming down.

Miker

Performance on PC is a bit more demanding than I expected, with 4-player splitscreen taking a massive toll. I think I'll keep it locked to 30 fps for 4-player splitscreen, as otherwise it hovers between 30-40.

AcridMeat

Banned
See, that's amazing. AND it's also something I don't understand. .Even in training, I had a hard time completiing the basic drill where you fly around. I barely get off of the ground, even after a double jump and at least attempting to point my nose up.

Any pointers?
Don't double jump on your approach. Just use a single jump upwards, holding back to angle yourself and then boost. That way, when you do get to the ball, you can actually double tap to get some extra mustard on the ball. That's what I'm getting pretty good at. Other than that, yes lots of practice.

I love seeing people go for aerials even if they miss, it means they're trying to learn/get better.
Electricity went out 20 seconds before a win. Game counts it as a quit. Fuck sake.

The game should be able to detect this shit. Now I have to wait to play through no fault of my own.
Whether intentional or not, the idea is you're still leaving your team disadvantaged. It sucks that you had an instance where an obvious win turns into 15 minutes of waiting, but...
I believe they said a disconnect is a disconnect and you will be timed out 15 minutes regardless. I mean if you were disconnected because of your net connection or power going out or whatever, then you will likely need a few minutes to get it going again anyway.

Edit: the unintentional disconnects would be far and few between anyways (I have yet to have one yet). The rage quits far outweigh the unintentional disconnects
Bolded. I realize you probably posted in the heat of the moment after it happened, but seriously it's so much better now with this system in place.

If connection is spotty you can just play normals, which I still do the majority of the time since ranked 3v3 teams isn't in yet.

Trace

Banned
Can anyone from Psyionix clarify why doubles ranked games are starting 2v1 half the time? It's a guaranteed loss and throws the whole reason of playing ranked out the window.

Can anyone from Psyionix clarify why doubles ranked games are starting 2v1 half the time? It's a guaranteed loss and throws the whole reason of playing ranked out the window.

Yeah, played a ranked match that started 2v1, guy quit after we scored the first goal. Poor guy was probably hit with a 15 min ban, which is unfair

Trace

Banned
Yeah, played a ranked match that started 2v1, guy quit after we scored the first goal. Poor guy was probably hit with a 15 min ban, which is unfair

I just quit from one of those as the one, you don't get hit by a ban, I'm just salty about the lost points.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I haven't played since the new patch. Have people noticed less quitters?

I don't play ranked, so the "fix" has done nothing for casual play. People drop just as often, and when you join a match, you still enter into games down 5-0 with 30 seconds left.

To make things worse, AI now has a dunce cap, because it's calculating based on average rank of players on the field. Rookie and Semi Pro AI is worthless. I could usually count on AI to score a few goals, but now they just fuck things up.

For me, the game is worse after patch.

I don't play ranked, so the "fix" has done nothing for casual play. People drop just as often, and when you join a match, you still enter into games down 5-0 with 30 seconds left.

To make things worse, AI now has a dunce cap, because it's calculating based on average rank of players on the field. Rookie and Semi Pro AI is worthless. I could usually count on AI to score a few goals, but now they just fuck things up.

For me, the game is worse after patch.
I don't think people should be punished for leaving casual games. Why don't you play ranked? Seems like it would solve your issues.

Karu

I don't care if you steal my goal (and the people who overly do complain are annoying me, to be honest). We scored, we win. That's great.

If I'm free in front of the goal, ball in line and you come from the side like a maniac and defend for the opposite team... well, you might've earned a slightly passive-agressive OMG! from me. :D

The new quit-rule is awesome by the way. I had two quitters in 10 or so games, which is still bullshit, but a way better rate as before. Long overdue.

I just quit from one of those as the one, you don't get hit by a ban, I'm just salty about the lost points.

Good to know.

Id rather wait longer times for a full game than have the game start with a person down or with a bot.

In one match, the game started with 1 A.I who got replaced with a person 14 seconds later. Let everyone just play with the free ball (where all the cars are white). I dont mind waiting.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I don't think people should be punished for leaving casual games. Why don't you play ranked? Seems like it would solve your issues.

I don't think they should be punished either. I think the option to quit should be removed from the menu, though. Force players to quit the application to leave a match, and you'll probably halve the number of quitters.

And why would I play ranked without my teammates? I play casual to mix it up with randoms when my friends aren't online (which is 95% of the time)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Amazingly I haven't had a single player quit on me since the patch. Don't know if I've just been lucky or if the matchmaking ban is actually working as intended. How does this actually work? Do you get warned before quitting that you'll get banned if you proceed, or are you told after the fact? I haven't tried it.

EDIT: There we go, got one. It was in 1v1 though (with me in the lead 4-1), so whatever.

A small (unrelated) thing that bugs me is that the match ends when the timer is on 1. The match shouldn't end until it hits 0.

Afro

My game seems to be capped at 65fps. This normal? Also getting drops into the 40's w/ a 980ti, zero AA. Something seems not right.

Edit: This guide fixed it. Pretty much 144fps locked now. Still looks blurry at 1080p, not sure.

Ball chasers are so fucking frustrating to play with when you are trying to play defense. More often than not they hit the ball in your direction or set the opposition up for perfect easy goals. Just because you see the ball doesn't mean you have to launch full blast into it and hit it.

Ball chasers are so fucking frustrating to play with when you are trying to play defense. More often than not they hit the ball in your direction or set the opposition up for perfect easy goals. Just because you see the ball doesn't mean you have to launch full blast into it and hit it.
But it might go in!

nomster

This. Constantly get teammates that center the ball for opponents over and over.

Sande

What's up with the 500 km trophy? I'm about to get my last item but I only have like 60 km driven between all my wheels. I just tested how much driving in a circle for a whole match would do and... it was less than a kilometer. Is this trophy supposed to be absolutely ridiculous or what? On the other hand my "what's new" section is saying I have driven over 250 km so I don't even know anymore.

Trace

Banned
What's up with the 500 km trophy? I'm about to get my last item but I only have like 60 km driven between all my wheels. I just tested how much driving in a circle for a whole match would do and... it was less than a kilometer. Is this trophy supposed to be absolutely ridiculous or what? On the other hand my "what's new" section is saying I have driven over 250 km so I don't even know anymore.

Up until the latest patch, online gameplay didn't count towards that trophy.

Hasney

It was bugged, so it didn't track online matches. Current patch has fixed it, but you don't seem to need the full 500km though.

I've reached the point where I think I'm going to stop playing ranked matches with random people. It's getting too frustrating.

People who play goalie: how many of you park the car parallel to the goal and go forward and backwards? I saw it in a video and thought it's an interesting idea.

DJ88

But the ball is right over my head. I just have to hop up and bicycle kick it cause it looks cool.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This game is just awful with random. Especially ps4 users on WiFi with 400ms.
Wifi is never responsible for those kind of pings. You can't set the parameter in the protocol that badly to even approach the realm of that latency.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Why have my rank numbers stopped moving up or down?

Yeah same thing has happened to me. Stuck at 990 in ranked doubles for ages now. So close to breaking in to 1000....

Also today I found out there's a level above veteran. One of my opponents was an expert. He had certainly earned that title. We ended up losing 5-4 in overtime to that team. That guy was pretty good.

WITHE1982

I've reached the point where I think I'm going to stop playing ranked matches with random people. It's getting too frustrating.

People who play goalie: how many of you park the car parallel to the goal and go forward and backwards? I saw it in a video and thought it's an interesting idea.

Having your car parallel is really the best way to play goalkeeper. I angle slightly toward wherever the ball happens to be. It makes covering the whole goal much easier. Head on you just don't have any sideways movement.

Just recently hit veteran rank and I feel a lot more pressure to perform because of it, even though I still consider myself a rank amateur. Had some stinkers today and felt a bit shit being out scored by semi-pros but I suppose the ranks are just time sensitive and not really skill related.

Feebastic

Late to the party, but this game is amazing. I don't like driving games and I don't like sports games, but somehow this has managed to be the most fun I've had gaming with friends since Smash Bros Brawl. Moving around and boosting and doing sick flips all just feels SO GOOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom