• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donos

just played someone who clearly had no ball cam. almost felt bad winning 6:1

Ok, had now a few other matches with ppl on my lvl (which i won all with 4-5 goals more than them :p)

Hoodbury

Sorry for being late, but just getting to read the patch notes now.
  • (PS4) “Far, Far Away” Trophy can now be unlocked via online play

They didn't retroactivate this one did they? Or do I need to drive all those miles starting from scratch in online?

Not that I won't do that soon, just curious.

Unicorn

Sorry for being late, but just getting to read the patch notes now.
  • (PS4) “Far, Far Away” Trophy can now be unlocked via online play

They didn't retroactivate this one did they? Or do I need to drive all those miles starting from scratch in online?

Not that I won't do that soon, just curious.
From scratch.

Salsa

started a match 2v2. got scored twice in dumb ways. team mate starts goin ham on me, im like 'lol relax we're gonna win'

match is 5-1, other team saying we should leave there's no coming back from this

anyway, this teasing continues till I bring the match to 5-5 (to be fair team mate scored one of the goals)

we go into overtime, other team goin 'WTF happened'

shoot on goal. team mate throws it off path

team mate does backflip to supposedly make a save, ends up scoring in our goal, making us lose 6-5 on overtime

he sends me 'SOME PRO YOU ARE WTF TEAM' on chat and leaves

great stuff

Unicorn

started a match 2v2. got scored twice in dumb ways. team mate starts goin ham on me, im like 'lol relax we're gonna win'

match is 5-1, other team saying we should leave there's no coming back from this

anyway, this teasing continues till I bring the match to 5-5 (to be fair team mate scored one of the goals)

we go into overtime, other team goin 'WTF happened'

shoot on goal. team mate throws it off path

team mate does backflip to supposedly make a save, ends up scoring in our goal, making us lose 6-5 on overtime

he sends me 'SOME PRO YOU ARE WTF TEAM' on chat and leaves

great stuff
Sounds about par for any causal team sport game banter. :/

Salsa

I dont understand how there's people with Pro ranks that cant do shit in the air

I mean I get not even knowing about proper air boosts and all when you start playing the game

but being level 20plus and just waiting for all balls to drop or doing simple double jumps as your attempt to reach it just feels impossible

Snaku

Banned
I dont understand how there's people with Pro ranks that cant do shit in the air

I mean I get not even knowing about proper air boosts and all when you start playing the game

but being level 20plus and just waiting for all balls to drop or doing simple double jumps as your attempt to reach it just feels impossible

I've been playing for a month and wasn't really aware that was even possible because all I see others doing are exactly what you described. It wasn't till I started watch videos of pros on YouTube did I realize there was an air game.

pbsapeer

Banned
Just had a great game where we were 4-0 down and got it back to 4-2. Someone on my team just typed "Istanbul" and being a Liverpool fan this made me laugh so much and I really wanted us to win. We got it back to 4-4 and after about 5/10mins of OT lost.
The wanting to help your team to win is incredible considering they're all strangers but I genuinely feel a part of a team nearly every game I play

Sephzilla

This game is easily in my top 5 for this year. Played Rocket League with some friends this weekend and we made up a 4 person team - roars in the apartment happened when goals got scored.

That feeling when you slam home a goal with 3 seconds left on the clock to put your team up a goal...

lPGhJ7K.gif

hell I played against Veteran's the other day who stayed on the ground

ive just really started getting going with Aerials. getting better and better with em, but don't always use em. sometimes a simple double jump is all that is needed in a situation. sometimes just dont have boost at that moment

This game has easily become my favorite game that has been offered on PS Plus so far. The gameplay really hits the sweet spot.

My friends have been trying to figure out for weeks if in Rocket league it's people driving normal sized cars, RC cars, or is it a universe inhabited completely by cars. I like to think that it's a car world simply because you cannot see the crowd.

soxxx

Banned
Won a game before where our team scored with 1 second left. I hit the ball it bounced off the top of the net and was sitting there, bunch of clutter, then teammate knocked it in. Was pumped.

Tom Snows

Neo Member
Hey guys, just got the game, if anyone wants to play on PS4, my PSN ID is tomaspcn. I'll be playing this all month, until The Phantom Pain drops.

Hoodbury

I'm pro rank 21 and can get in the air just fine; hitting the ball while in the air is still pretty spotty though, heh.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
What harm is done to you if somebody quits in a 1v1?

It annoys me. I don't like winning like that. It feels like a waste of my time. I'd rather throw away a 3-0 lead, go on to lose and hold my hands up and say good game than win because my opponent just gives up. Just take your licks and finish the game. Or show me what you're made of and come back. But don't just give up, man. If you don't plan on playing a full game don't start one. You're wasting my time.

My mind boggles at this.

Almost nobody "does shit in the air" at this point, including Veterans and even some Experts I've seen are shaky at it.

I can't fathom the mindset that by pro you should be starting to get proficient at it.

AcridMeat

Banned
People are afraid to go for it and fuck up, that's why I applaud anyone trying to go for them. There's so much to the (air) game to learn that I appreciate anyone going for it.

That said, I've noticed plenty of people going in the air nowadays.

Pepiope

I made my first intentional volley yesterday with a teammate online. The kind of goals that can be scored with teamwork....Amazing.

Salsa

My mind boggles at this.

Almost nobody "does shit in the air" at this point, including Veterans and even some Experts I've seen are shaky at it.

I can't fathom the mindset that by pro you should be starting to get proficient at it.

People are afraid to go for it and fuck up, that's why I applaud anyone trying to go for them. There's so much to the (air) game to learn that I appreciate anyone going for it.

That said, I've noticed plenty of people going in the air nowadays.

thing is I don't mean Air Game in like a "going way for it super above"

I basically just mean that whenever there's a ball in the air I can always go above everyone else's head by doing a little boost

no one even tries, they just wait

there's no real big margin of error. Ball won't go off path and the stakes arent high cause you're barely a bit above the double jump distance

I dont mean showin off with a crazy flip 10 ft high. I just mean hitting the ball in the air and having that advantage

GodofWine

I am just getting I to saving shots with aerials, and messing about with centering the ball with them, I'm definitely in the pro levels, and north of 400 in 1v1 ranked, and I do t see many aerials yet. The game can be played well with ground work only...hell, me most of the aerials I see on YouTube look like random acts of OMG I DID IT :) , yea some people are ace at them, but most peoe just go flying by.

The unlimited free at boost has been awesome for practicing them though

Salsa

this is kinda what I mean

dBSCia5.gif

not a great example since the ball's almost on the ground but I basically end up winnin those balls every game cause no one goes from above

you get to hit it with extra force even

Salsa

other examples just to ilustrate how little "air" im talking about

BpN3Np9.gif

in my experience those little jumps make all the difference in those encounters, and I swear nobody ever goes for em. they just stay glued to the ground

BShadowJ

thing is I don't mean Air Game in like a "going way for it super above"

I basically just mean that whenever there's a ball in the air I can always go above everyone else's head by doing a little boost

no one even tries, they just wait

there's no real big margin of error. Ball won't go off path and the stakes arent high cause you're barely a bit above the double jump distance

I dont mean showin off with a crazy flip 10 ft high. I just mean hitting the ball in the air and having that advantage

h6uPzGC.png

That's one drill. I can almost assure you the tutorial will be about the same rate of completion, and the advanced one probably less. The game actually does teach you to fly, but the vast majority just don't care to do tutorials anymore. (Granted I know the tutorial isn't that easily found, but still...). So yeah, until you get to a high rating be prepared to deal with that. (And even then, if the matchmaking goes too wide... lol)

Salsa

h6uPzGC.png

That's one drill. I can almost assure you the tutorial will be about the same rate of completion, and the advanced one probably less. The game actually does teach you to fly, but the vast majority just don't care to do tutorials anymore. (Granted I know the tutorial isn't that easily found, but still...). So yeah, until you get to a high rating be prepared to deal with that. (And even then, if the matchmaking goes too wide... lol)

never did the tutorials!

think I did like, one

the advanced air ones seem super hard compared to what you actually find while playing

Tomtis

other examples just to ilustrate how little "air" im talking about

BpN3Np9.gif

in my experience those little jumps make all the difference in those encounters, and I swear nobody ever goes for em. they just stay glued to the ground

Strange, for me pretty much everyone goes for that. I Only play 2v2 and has like 900 i skill points though.

And you are right, those are not that hard to do and pretty much a must to learn. You don't even have to fly high, as long as it's higher than the usual flip.

BShadowJ

never did the tutorials!

think I did like, one

the advanced air ones seem super hard compared to what you actually find while playing

Nice way to ruin my argument :p
Did you play the original SARPBC though? Cause if so, it doesn't count xD

Oh and the advanced air ones, you'll have to master if you want to have a shot on the top 100 basically.

Salsa

Nice way to ruin my argument :p
Did you play the original SARPBC though? Cause if so, it doesn't count xD

lol I didnt

the first few matches I obviously didnt realize how integral doing turbos in the air and such was, but I encountered it once or twice in matches (and gifs) so I started going for it and getting accustomed to it

what I meant in my original point is that this happened at most within my first 10 matches or so. It just immediatly felt as if I didnt get a hold of air and jumps i'd be at a terrible disadvantage. basically surprised that people get to the higher ranks without realizing that is what im saying

BShadowJ

lol I didnt

the first few matches I obviously didnt realize how integral doing turbos in the air and such was, but I encountered it once or twice in matches (and gifs) so I started going for it and getting accustomed to it

what I meant in my original point is that this happened at most within my first 10 matches or so. It just immediatly felt as if I didnt get a hold of air and jumps i'd be at a terrible disadvantage. basically surprised that people get to the higher ranks without realizing that is what im saying

Hmm ok I see what you mean. What rating are you right now? It's like, just the mere fact you know that flying is an important part will probably bring you higher if your average competition doesn't know that to be honest.

plc268

That's why I don't play 1 on 1. I would kick ass and it would get boring. At least with teammates, you get situations where you have to actually orchestrate plays

2v2 and 3v3 is awesome if you're playing with a good team, but frustrating at times if you're playing with randoms who are greedy.

1v1 isn't boring at all. You have to be on your toes at all times. Make a mistake, and you'll get punished for it. Get too aggressive, and you'll be punished for it. It's why I'll go for the cheap goals all the time, because even if you're up by a few goals, all it takes is a few missed shots, and it's all tied up again.

Salsa

Hmm ok I see what you mean. What rating are you right now? It's like, just the mere fact you know that flying is an important part will probably bring you higher if your average competition doesn't know that to be honest.

havent even checked since they're gonna nuke that before the next patch, right?

also havent played many Ranked cause for some reason the game does a better job of pairing me with people on my same rank when I just play casual standard / doubles

BShadowJ

havent even checked since they're gonna nuke that before the next patch, right?

also havent played many Ranked cause for some reason the game does a better job of pairing me with people on my same rank when I just play casual standard / doubles

Probably yes. Ranked does a better job long term IMO, but short term... yes it blows. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom