• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
What the fuck...tonight has been garbage on 3v3 ranked. Teammates who yell at me for going for balls when I've been watching them fail hits for 3 minutes already. Then I just connected into a game...3v1. Missed a couple easy shots it would have been closer finished 5-2 with 880 points :/ drop from 934 to 916...fucking bullshit when I'm getting MVPs on wins and getting 8 points.

I think I'm done with this game.

It was a ton of fun but now matchmaking is plagued with teams that sit back with two goalies and two back on defense and just take a long shot.

Not fun in the slightest.

Soulflarz

Banned
I think I'm done with this game.

It was a ton of fun but now matchmaking is plagued with teams that sit back with two goalies and two back on defense and just take a long shot.

Not fun in the slightest.

The trick is to take shots they can't block decently or have one guy stay back for the return?

hydruxo

Even if we do have one guy back for the return, it's next to impossible to get anything going with two goalies and two people clearing everything.

My advice is to just stop playing 4v4. I mean it's fun with friends in private matches here and there, but that's about it. There's just too much shit going on in 4v4. Play doubles or 3v3 and you'll have a way better time.

If you're deadset on playing 4v4, then either start demolishing the goalies til they get angry and get out of the goal or just do exactly what the other team is doing and put 2 in goal and 2 out in the field.

Soulflarz

Banned
4v4 is simply too chaotic for anything more than casual matches. Comparison is trying to do smash competitive tourneys with items on high or something.

Salsa

mmVX9Zq.png

7ce7079d2bca29b856f7dc93ab00574a.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Also- is the 500km part going to kill me?

Nah, just keep playing. I got it yesterday without any extra effort. I've just been playing a few hours every other day or so.

4v4 is purely social. Terrible for actual gameplay

Yep. It can be a fun mess with a bunch of friends, but it completely sucks if you want some real gameplay. I even think 3v3 is bordering on too chaotic. 2v2 is the best mode IMO.

Soulflarz

Banned
Nah, just keep playing. I got it yesterday without any extra effort. I've just been playing a few hours every other day or so.

Online counts towards it?

And uh, if you're saying a few hours every couple days
x.x

I've done way more than that by miles. Just going to rubberband it :V

Unicorn

x.x

Do you plan on stopping playing once you get the Plat? Otherwise, you'll get it through play. I'm halfway there post-update and am in no rush to get all the achievements (it is steam, so whatever- but, whatever on any platform. It ain't 2006 anymore).

Soulflarz

Banned
Do you plan on stopping playing once you get the Plat? Otherwise, you'll get it through play. I'm halfway there post-update and am in no rush to get all the achievements (it is steam, so whatever- but, whatever on any platform. It ain't 2006 anymore).

Yes? No?

Going to college in 2 weeks. So no, but yes on PSN. Steam copy probs.

Tunavi

Banned

Yep. It can be a fun mess with a bunch of friends, but it completely sucks if you want some real gameplay. I even think 3v3 is bordering on too chaotic. 2v2 is the best mode IMO.
3v3 is perfection for me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

x.x

It does since the most recent patch. Before that it was broken. So just keep playing, and you'll get it soon enough.

I probably should have said "a few hours most days". I play more days than not. I hit Veteran (lvl 30) the other day, to give you some indication.

90 hours in. Just hit veteran rank and did all achievements. I still want to play non stop and when I can't I think about it or watch streams. I watch videos and read guides to get better. The thought of the DLC is constantly in my mind and the push for it to become an E-Sport haunts my dreams. This game has a hold on me. I love it and think it will go down as an all time favorite.

Unicorn

90 hours in. Just hit veteran rank and did all achievements. I still want to play non stop and when I can't I think about it or watch streams. I watch videos and read guides to get better. The thought of the DLC is constantly in my mind and the push for it to become an E-Sport haunts my dreams. This game has a hold on me. I love it and think it will go down as an all time favorite.

Yup. I'm only level 26, and I block donkey dong at the game, but I am still infatuated.

Soulflarz

Banned
It does since the most recent patch. Before that it was broken. So just keep playing, and you'll get it soon enough.

I probably should have said "a few hours most days". I play more days than not. I hit Veteran (lvl 30) the other day, to give you some indication.

Oh okay you're past me. Does uh...it count our progress back then too? Or nope, old online progress doesn't count, only from patch forward.

Griss

I really thought the hype around this game was based on the 'Wow so random ROCKET CARS playing SOCCER!' factor. It's a throwback to what video games used to be, and I appreciate that, but it looked like a hard to control mess.

Good lord was I wrong. What an addictively brilliant game this is. Everything in it is just so damn satisfying. The gameplay has you on the edge of your seat and yet laughing the whole time. When you score a brilliant goal it's a reason to leap out of your chair and cheer, when you score a last second own-goal (yep...) the shame is real. The visuals, controls, netcode... everything about it is so much better than I expected.

I've been a little down on PS+ for a while now, but this is the best surprise I've had since Spelunky, and games like this are why I'll never give up the service.

RL PC Gamer Interview

Speaking of some of the things you might want to bring back, are we ever going to see different and weird level layouts in Rocket League?

Hagewood: Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely. We wanted to start with the standard fields this time because we wanted to make sure everyone understood what the base game was, how we see the standard Rocket League experience being. We also wanted to promote competitive play in the game, and people who want extremely balanced competitive play and ranked modes and things like that, without adding a lot of extra noise. But we know the majority of players aren’t super competitive, they just want to have a good time—and we have a great time with the crazy different maps and so on. So we already have some of those in production to roll out later on.

One of the things that struck me about Rocket League is that it’s very ‘microtransaction friendly’ for something like “pay a dollar for this hat!” Did you ever think about doing that?

Hagewood: We did. We briefly considered whether we should go the free-to-play route.

Why didn’t you?

Hagewood: We’ve had a lot of experience with free-to-play. We’ve had ups and downs with it, and we don’t see free-to-play as being a definite, automatic “you’re gonna get a million people playing your game,” as some people do. I think there may have been a time at which a free game was kind of a novelty, like “oh my gosh, this game is coming out for free,” but it’s not anymore. You’re competing with a lot of other free-to-play games. We saw a lot of people have been turned off by that model, and we’ve really built a theme around this game about trying to listen to our fans and see what they really want. Not necessarily what’s going to make us the most money or what’s the hottest thing going, but what do people really want? What is gonna make us popular in the eyes of gamers and make them talk about us and say “this is a company that really gets it.” That’s what we want. That’s the kind of message that we wanted to hear people saying, is that at least one company is willing to listen to what the fans want and deliver on that.

So we decided we wanted to go more, you might even call it the ‘old school’ or traditional way of doing things. You pay a price for the game, we have DLC but we’re not piece-mealing it out—you know, you pay $1 dollar for one hat. We’re giving you a big pack of really cool stuff, we don’t want to overprice it. And we also want to give out a lot of free DLC as well, just to keep people playing. Because we believe as long as we keep supporting the game, we keep having people come in and buying the game and telling their friends to buy the game, we don’t really need this microtranscation based model.

Do you have any plans for mod support?

Hagewood: We’re talking about it. One of the challenges is because we’re cross-play, and the cross-play means everything has to be updated on both the PC and the PlayStation version. So that’s a big challenge. I can’t go into it, but we’re already working out some really interesting ideas on how we can start working with modders and user-generated content.

Lots of good stuff. I wonder if Steamworkshop would have a problem with content being used for other platforms as well?

Huggers

Anyone got a solution to the CE-34878-0 error that keeps stopping the game from loading. I've asked already but it seems I'm one of only a few with the error. It's driving me nuts as 8 was having such a good time with this game. Now it won't even load.

Anyone got a solution to the CE-34878-0 error that keeps stopping the game from loading. I've asked already but it seems I'm one of only a few with the error. It's driving me nuts as 8 was having such a good time with this game. Now it won't even load.

Maybe delete it, rebuild database and reinstall it? Or better yet rebuild database before deleting it first. Unless you've already tried this.

Edit: I say maybe because I have no idea if this will work, clarifying because it looks condescending haha

Huggers

Maybe delete it, rebuild database and reinstall it? Or better yet rebuild database before deleting it first. Unless you've already tried this.

I say maybe because I have no idea if this will work, clarifying because it looks condescending haha

Yeah I'm currently re initialising the PS4. Which annoyingly meant wiping the whole thing and starting again. I now have a lot of games to download again. Will start with this. Praying that it works. It's been a massive pain in the arse. From Google I can see there's a good number of people with the same issue with this game

Slurmp

Banned
Everyone I play with in public games are just so terrible.. I don't even understand how people can be so bad. It's such a simple game.. and yet no one seems to even play correctly.

Yes, I am mad/salty/etc.

PSN: Trotski7

I'd like to get atleast some competent teammates to play with, people that actually display brain function. I'm not the best player, but I'd say I'm miles ahead of the people in public matches. Honestly, I'm not trying to come off as rude, though I probably am, I'm just so sick and tired of losing almost every single match because everyone I play with just flat-out sucks.

Arion

Just started playing today. What a simple but incredibly fun game. Definitely a GOTY candidate.

Managed a crazy goal so Im going to plug my video here.

4v4 is simply too chaotic for anything more than casual matches. Comparison is trying to do smash competitive tourneys with items on high or something.

4v4 would be great to add the non-standard maps.

No need to create a new playlist, just add them to 4v4, and I'd easily play Chaos mode more as a result

The_Poet

Banned
They still havn't fixed getting banned for 15 minutes when the server times out.

Its ruined 2 play sessions for me now, completely bullshit.

Hasney

Got it. I mean, only playing for a bit tonight, figured I'd try.

Also, for college, Hasney, you have this game on PC, or do I never get to play you guys again :V

After trying season mode, I am very saddened at our lighting choices for the multiplayer. That neon purple looks so good on the field...

Yo, I got it on PC. Playing on it more and more with that delicious uncapped framerate.

I played 8 2v2 games last night. Only won one. It was humiliating, frustrating, and easily the worst time I've had in the game. Literally nothing me and my buddy did as a strategy worked. It was a fail night.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yo, I got it on PC. Playing on it more and more with that delicious uncapped framerate.

Good! I might have to buy it on steam in college, dunno if I can handle dropping this game in 2 weeks :x

Also uh, can rolling 3x forward kill someone if you don't boost, since you technically get the lines behind you? Never tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom