• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I've only played the standard playlists. What's different in ranked matches? Is it just stuff like leaderboards?

You get a skill rating and go up or down depending on if you win or lose. You also get matched with someone closer to your skill rating, which should ensure that you are always playing an evenly matched player.

Quitting also doesn't replace your team with a bot, and there is a 15 minute penalty for quitting.

Skill rating also divides players into bronze, silver, and gold rankings, depending on the rating. Each month has a new season (which hasn't been implemented yet), and I am pretty sure that Psyonix will also offer prizes at the end, like Hearthstone. At least I hope. I'd love to have exclusive cosmetic content for my performance in ranked.

Hoodbury

So far I've only played the standard playlists. What's different in ranked matches? Is it just stuff like leaderboards?

I'll probably miss something but some of the differences are:
1. No bots - so if someone leaves, the match is uneven. 2v1, 3v2, 3v1 etc.
2. There's no Ready button after a match; you exit to main menu and start from scratch after each match.
3. If you quit mid match you have to wait 15 minutes before you can play another ranked match. Penalty for quitting.
4. There's a new forfeit button. If everyone on the team decides to forfeit you don't get the 15 minute penalty like you do if you quit.

Gibbles17

Yuhhhhh :D
Did you play poorly and win? Or very well but lost? It also depends on the ratings of the other team. I was playing 2v2s a couple nights ago with a friend in the 300s (I was ~970 at the time), one loss dropped be 20-25 points, each win gave me 6-10.

Hmm, didn't realize other team's ratings mattered. Honestly not too sure but thinking back, I think most of the games were reasonably close which may account for it. Did just play one where we won 5-0 and went up by 5. That must be it. Thanks friend!

Ambitious

You get a skill rating and go up or down depending on if you win or lose. You also get matched with someone closer to your skill rating, which should ensure that you are always playing an evenly matched player.

Quitting also doesn't replace your team with a bot, and there is a 15 minute penalty for quitting.

Skill rating also divides players into bronze, silver, and gold rankings, depending on the rating. Each month has a new season (which hasn't been implemented yet), and I am pretty sure that Psyonix will also offer prizes at the end, like Hearthstone. At least I hope. I'd love to have exclusive cosmetic content for my performance in ranked.

Thanks, I'm checking it out right now.

AlexIIDX

Just had back to back games with pretty good Epic Saves...
I can't make gifs

VigorousClearcutAlbertosaurus.gif

J Range

I don't know what it says about my playing that I have a much higher skill in single and double, and I'm stuck in the 100's or lower in standard...

Salsa

mannn was playing ranked 2v2, we were winning 3-0, doorbell rings, need to pay attention to this person, dude was on PS4 so I couldnt explain the situation, come back near end of the match and we're losing 8-3

lol I felt terrible

Pepiope

mannn was playing ranked 2v2, we were winning 3-0, doorbell rings, need to pay attention to this person, dude was on PS4 so I couldnt explain the situation, come back near end of the match and we're losing 8-3

lol I felt terrible
Should have ignored the door. Your priorities aren't in order.

oakenhild

Why play ranked then? If you have limited time and want to quit, why not play non-ranked?

Seems unfair to give up when ranked players desire a win, and then screw that teammate by not participating or forcing a forfeit.

There's a difference between wanting to forfeit when there is an almost certain loss (miracles can happen, sure) and not participating if there isn't a forfeit. Sure, some people will give up. I usually just play a lot more aggressively (need to score a bunch of goals somehow).

Also, the level of competition in ranked is much better once you're at your matched skill level in ranked, so non-ranked isn't really a great alternative.

lol I felt terrible

At that point it's probably more courteous to take the 15 minute hit, drop out, then the other player can leave without penalty and find a new game. Or I guess vote forfeit now that it's a thing.

What timing. My xbox wired controller is messing up. Keeps disconnecting. The problem seems to be where the cord meets the controller. Really don't want to spend more money.

I've played about 200 matches total (exhibition + online) and still have 1 vehicle, 1 tire, and 1 flag to unlock. Is that normal? It seems like nothing is unlocking now in at least the last 10 games or so. I'd like this to be my first platinum but it feels like something is wrong with the unlocks.

I've played about 200 matches total (exhibition + online) and still have 1 vehicle, 1 tire, and 1 flag to unlock. Is that normal? It seems like nothing is unlocking now in at least the last 10 games or so. I'd like this to be my first platinum but it feels like something is wrong with the unlocks.

Probably Sweet Tooth if you're playing the PS4 version. Win or play with every car to unlock him I believe.

Danlord

Just got my Platinum trophy!

I come in to find that there's potentially a NeoGAF flag, that's awesome. Unfortunately I always use Sweet Tooth, but I can't wait to see fellow GAF'ers in random Ranked matches.

Currently Level 23 Pro, I'm feeling good now about the game but I do get put in with some noobs when I'm facing 2 veterans and a Pro :( Sometimes I don't think the system for balanced matches are working.

Lunar FC

Just got my Platinum trophy!

I come in to find that there's potentially a NeoGAF flag, that's awesome. Unfortunately I always use Sweet Tooth, but I can't wait to see fellow GAF'ers in random Ranked matches.

Currently Level 23 Pro, I'm feeling good now about the game but I do get put in with some noobs when I'm facing 2 veterans and a Pro :( Sometimes I don't think the system for balanced matches are working.

I feel like I never see anybody using sweet tooth. This makes me glad because it was a dumb inclusion.

I think it's because it's small in all the areas that matter. It's not particularly long like the Dominus or Hotshot. Not wide like the Paladin or Venom. And not that tall compared to the Gizmo, Merc or Sweet Tooth. I haven't used it much, so maybe it excels in other areas, like aerial maneuverability, or turning radius?

In the striking game, it feels like it's at a bit of a disadvantage.

Everything I've read about the game says all cars handle the same and only have very slight differences to their hitboxes. If you're perceiving a handling difference its a placebo. Like how when I'd use a custom m4 skin in counter strike I thought it shot better. It didn't.

Danlord

I feel like I never see anybody using sweet tooth. This makes me glad because it was a dumb inclusion.

Hmm, every so often I do see a Sweet Tooth, but yeah it's not as common as what I'd thought.

Thing is, Sony don't have that many iconic vehicles to include within Rocket League. At least when Rocket League launches on Xbox One there's a good chance the Warthog wil be included and that would be quite awesome.

Finally played a game on the new arena. It's so f'n bright, but it's also gorgeous. The two new cars, the new paint types, and the new decals are all great as well. Still don't know how I got them for free though. PS+ maybe?

Also, maybe I'm just imagining things, but the Dominus's handling feels different to me. Probably just imagining things, but I swear it feels stiffer or grippier or something compared to other cars.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just broke my speed record for a goal. 126 km/h. And it was an aerial goal to make it extra nice.
Wow nice! Fastest I saw it was 80 mph (erm, ~130?km)
Hmm, didn't realize other team's ratings mattered. Honestly not too sure but thinking back, I think most of the games were reasonably close which may account for it. Did just play one where we won 5-0 and went up by 5. That must be it. Thanks friend!
No problem buddy :3
What timing. My xbox wired controller is messing up. Keeps disconnecting. The problem seems to be where the cord meets the controller. Really don't want to spend more money.
Duuuude, a day or two after the game came out part of the left thumbstick rubber on my wired 360 pad broke off. I might just get some replacements from amazon, though I do like the idea of getting a nice new black 360 pad for $28.

Salsa

Wow nice! Fastest I saw it was 80 mph (erm, ~130?km)
No problem buddy :3
Duuuude, a day or two after the game came out part of the left thumbstick rubber on my wired 360 pad broke off. I might just get some replacements from amazon, though I do like the idea of getting a nice new black 360 pad for $28.

and people bother me about these rubber thingies

lfQGaqTUO1UDmAFkPATY1aaMHLvNNomi5dSesy5RY-Yg=w696-h928-no

protect yo self

AwShucks

I'd use Sweet Tooth buuut in this game I prefer the smaller vehicles. Actually a huge Sweet Tooth fan (if my username isn't AwShucks, it's something Sweet Tooth / Twisted Metal related).

I do use my Sweet Tooth antenna though! I like the wheels too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom