• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ran rp

There hasn't been any confirmation analysis on the slower movement, right? It's just people being silly and justifying being off their game?

I hope this game becomes a thing in the "pro" tournament scene. Would be outstanding to watch.

not being silly. I've played on and off since launch coming back to the game every few days and i've never had an issue jumping back in until now. it's immediately noticeable.

edit: i'd consider myself one of the faster players so if you usually move at a slower pace it might not be as noticeable to you.

v1lla21

PSY・S;175777563 said:
not being silly. I've played on and off since launch coming back to the game every few days and i've never had an issue jumping back in until now. it's immediately noticeable.

edit: i'd consider myself one of the faster players so if you usually move at a slower pace it might not be as noticeable to you.
Pretty sure it's just lag or you are just doing bad overall. Game plays exactly the same for me

Ran rp

Pretty sure it's just lag or you are just doing bad overall. Game plays exactly the same for me

there was no lag. ping was fine. i've had legitimately laggy games and even then i didn't experience slow handling, only twitchy vehicles, and i was still able to play just fine.

Played a bit on PS4. Felt totally different. Might just be playing on a different system. It felt shower, but that might just be shitty ping and framerate.

I don't think movement for slower though, unless they patched on the last two or three days.

Grinchy

Banned
I recently started feeling like the ball was hanging in the air longer than normal, but I just assume my mind is playing tricks on me.

v1lla21

Nah it's the miniscule lag that some servers have. You may have have a good ping but the server might still be shit. Another thing is the low GPS arenas that feel much slower.

Cess007

Hmm, i think my team may need a new goalkeeper :p

datkeeper9cro5.gif

AcridMeat

Banned
Edit: Figured I'd post my Dominus shots. It's my favorite car now. I was using Sweet Tooth almost exclusively before this, but I don't think I could go back to any other car now.

Blue:

Orange:
Very similar to mine, at least orange side. I love the DLC cars. I'm still tweaking the blue side, I'm not very satisfied with the color combinations on that side. They need a nice dark green.

LakeEarth

Holy shit, I knew they lowered the AI level when you get an AI replacement during player matches, but I just had the AI attack and score on the wrong goal. I don't mean they hit it at a bad angle and it went into the wrong end, I mean they turned around from the opponent's side, hit the ball multiple times the ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE FIELD until they scored on their own net. What the fuck!

-MD-

Holy shit, I knew they lowered the AI level when you get an AI replacement during player matches, but I just had the AI attack and score on the wrong goal. I don't mean they hit it at a bad angle and it went into the wrong end, I mean they turned around, hit the ball multiple times until they scored on their own net. What the fuck!

This happens all the time, the AI in this game is straight up terrible.

Grinchy

Banned
This happens all the time, the AI in this game is straight up terrible.

What I find hilarious about the discussion of AI is that people who are good at the game think the AI is horrendous while the people who are new think the AI is godlike. It's just funny to watch people describe the AI on both ends of the spectrum.

Etnos

Banned
I've been playing since launch on a PC with decent specs

I have literary no idea why is people saying they slow down the game, is there other than anecdotical evidence to support this? Feels the same to me

Very similar to mine, at least orange side. I love the DLC cars. I'm still tweaking the blue side, I'm not very satisfied with the color combinations on that side. They need a nice dark green.
Yeah, same here. I love the way the orange team colors look, but I still want to tweak the blue one some more. It definitely needs more color options. Even then, I only settled on both team variations after going through a crap load of color combinations. Both looked completely different a few days ago.

I can seriously never just play one more game. It always turns into at least another hour.

Good games guys.

Lotta fun, I'm glad there's always people to hop on and play nightly with

Definitely man. I hope people keep playing for a while. I might take a break for a bit to beat the shit out of MGSV but I'll be right back after. This will be my go to game for quite a while

whitehawk

Banned
They need an option to 'reserve' a replay mid-game. So many times a cool play happened and meant to save it, only to forget at the end of the match.

They also need to cut down on the grass. Most levels run with consistent frame drops, but that one indoor course that's mostly concrete runs at a solid 60fps.

What I find hilarious about the discussion of AI is that people who are good at the game think the AI is horrendous while the people who are new think the AI is godlike. It's just funny to watch people describe the AI on both ends of the spectrum.

It took us all by surprise at first that the AI could actually shoot now. Their defence is...interesting though, lol.

My god. Is anyone else just plain fucking terrible at this? I've played probably 300 games now, and I'm just no good at all. AT ALL.

I miss the ball probably literally 70% of the time when I go to knock it away from an opponent, when I do ever break free I end up driving passed/through the ball so have to stop and everyone just hits me...I don't know how the fuck people always seem to jump higher than me. They get the ball over me I swear 80% of the time? I'm using X + X to double jump so...

And I don't know how people always seem to rocket blast it into the goal from a 45 degree or so angle. Like they wait for their teammate to hit it toward the goal, it misses and bounces to the other side, and they're right there to nail it in. How do they hit the fucking ball so hard at that point? My hits don't do shit unless I'm already up to speed and somehow happen to accidentally hit it by some miracle. Why do I play this??

Calabi

My god. Is anyone else just plain fucking terrible at this? I've played probably 300 games now, and I'm just no good at all. AT ALL.

I miss the ball probably literally 70% of the time when I go to knock it away from an opponent, when I do ever break free I end up driving passed/through the ball so have to stop and everyone just hits me...I don't know how the fuck people always seem to jump higher than me. They get the ball over me I swear 80% of the time? I'm using X + X to double jump so...

And I don't know how people always seem to rocket blast it into the goal from a 45 degree or so angle. Like they wait for their teammate to hit it toward the goal, it misses and bounces to the other side, and they're right there to nail it in. How do they hit the fucking ball so hard at that point? My hits don't do shit unless I'm already up to speed and somehow happen to accidentally hit it by some miracle. Why do I play this??

I'm the same I must have played over a hundred hour's or so and it feels like I've gone down in skill, I'm getting worse. I blame the controls, something's wrong with the controls.

bosseye

Still love this game (though I am bad at it)

I'll tell you what though, I've come across some really unpleasant people using the chat window to tap out insults and being rude about other players. Its been a long time since I played an online game where this was a 'thing'. I was playing 2v2 last night with a mate and ok, we weren't doing brilliantly and one guy on the other team was just spewing all kinds of hateful stuff at us. Totally unnecessary.

Playing 4v4 the other night with 2 friends and a random, the random guy was literally parked in the corner for the majority of the match dishing out insults to everyone, including his own team.

Its a long time since I've been called all kinds of derogatory names online - some of it appears to be from silly salty losers, but sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to it.

I have also reached my ceiling and feel like Im getting slightly worse, then a bit better, and then worse again, and repeat.

Im perpetually stuck in rank 550 on 2v2 by pairing with randoms.

This game is a real mystery to me, 2 weeks ago I was nailing aireals left and right, and after that I couldnt do them for shit and now I cant at all anymore, how tired you feel actually plays a huge role in your mind predicting where the ball is going to be before you commit to a play.

how tired you feel actually plays a huge role in your mind predicting where the ball is going to be before you commit to a play.

Yeah I think how you go into it has a lot to do with it. I came home from work tired and posted that after going like 1-6 and ended up 2-9 or so before I said fuck it and turned it off. I scored literally 2 goals in 11 or so games. Pathetic. The lag wasn't helping but that's no excuse for how bad I'm doing.

I tried the training the other day and...it's just not happening. I can't even really control the ball around the field let alone do any of the aerials on pro or above. And as goalie I simply pray the ball doesn't come my way. I feel like the completely unathletic kid who hates sports but has to play anyway. Which sucks because I love sports irl. Here though this shit is just killing me.

farisr

It was playing exactly the same for me too a few nights ago, until the last 30 minutes or so and I felt the sluggishness happening. I was like "maybe it's the map, maybe it's my controller," tried different maps, conditions etc. The car controls didn't feel tight, like it was taking a second for the car to do what I did on the controlller, especially the turns (even at slower speeds). At the beginning of some matches it felt like it was back to normal, only for it to go back to the sluggish feeling a minute later.

I haven't played the game since but seeing as it wasn't like a patch that installed in the middle of our playthrough that night that caused this, there may be certain variables effecting the sluggishness and many people may not experience it at all.
I've been playing since launch on a PC with decent specs

I have literary no idea why is people saying they slow down the game, is there other than anecdotical evidence to support this? Feels the same to me

maybe it's effecting the ps4 version and only happens in certain instances.

I didn't notice a slow down per se but something was definitely wrong. To me it looked/felt more like server issues where it's basically lag but it wasn't popping up that lag alarm symbol and it was just bad enough to make everything feel off.

Maybe they need to reset their servers? I don't know anything about that kind of stuff but in an old online game I used to play they had to do server resets every once in awhile or things got all sluggish and didn't run right.

Pedersen

I am definitely feeling the sluggishness you are talking about. It have happened to me about 10 times the last few days. There is a 1sec delay when you press the controller for about 5 seconds every other minute. It´s enough to ruin entire games, so I´m tired of it.

IMACOMPUTA

I never lost more than 2 in a row prepatch. After the patch I lost like 7 in a row and missed so many easy shots. It really feels different. Slower. Now that we have a dev in here can he tell us what they tweaked?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The 1 year PS+ card I ordered gets delivered today, so I will be back to being terrible at this game shortly!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Holy shit I've been playing horrible today. The very first game I played was a 1v1 in which I lost 10-1. But in fairness I think even if I played well I would have got slaughtered here. I played the best player I've played yet and the only master rank I've ever encountered. He was insane. I made some bad mistakes in that game but I don't feel too bad about that since I know that guy would have crushed me anyway.

But the games that came after that? Just awful. I'm missing balls and just making bad decisions all over the place, and losing to people I shouldn't be losing to. Need to take a break and come back later.

I dont think anything has changed or was tweaked in the car or ball physics or contols. The game feels identical to how it was before. The only thing I noticed is when the ping isnt great you can get some nasty input lag which never happened to me before. Winning all the time before the patch and losing after the patch doesnt mean anything other than you are either not playing as good, are playing against better players or you're getting some input lag because of server issues.
Maybe the netcode was tweaked?

KodaRuss

Ugh, what is up with teammates wanting to quit after being down a couple goals. Twice I had teammates that hit the forfeit when we were only down two goals and both just stopped playing and called me a retard for not forfeiting or just repeatedly saying that I sucked.

Play the damn game, what is so bad about losing anyway.

farisr

I dont think anything has changed or was tweaked in the car or ball physics or contols. The game feels identical to how it was before. The only thing I noticed is when the ping isnt great you can get some nasty input lag which never happened to me before.

This input lag is happening to me while playing offline games. And can start happening at seemingly random times.

Hasney

I took a break of about a week, mostly because of the 3v3 thing, but I was playing terribly anyway. Came back last night and holy shit, I felt like I was amazing again.

If you think you've lost it, just leave for a bit. It can work out.

Hasney

Some reason everyone I get matched with in ranked is playing on PC. Is there something wrong with the matchmaking?

Are you a higher rank by any chance? I see the same no matter which format I play on the ranking matches I'm better at. They do have advantages of frame rate and input lag which makes sense, anectodally speaking.

I've also noticed that PC players zone into a single game more often than not, so I wonder if the population is higher now it's not flavour of the month on PS4, but I don't have numbers to back that up.

Vitor711

Still love this game (though I am bad at it)

I'll tell you what though, I've come across some really unpleasant people using the chat window to tap out insults and being rude about other players. Its been a long time since I played an online game where this was a 'thing'. I was playing 2v2 last night with a mate and ok, we weren't doing brilliantly and one guy on the other team was just spewing all kinds of hateful stuff at us. Totally unnecessary.

Playing 4v4 the other night with 2 friends and a random, the random guy was literally parked in the corner for the majority of the match dishing out insults to everyone, including his own team.

Its a long time since I've been called all kinds of derogatory names online - some of it appears to be from silly salty losers, but sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to it.

I had a guy send me a direct message on PS4 after a game saying I sucked. I then submitted a grief report and the next day I received a message from Sony saying that they'd taken action - lol. Felt good.

Had two kids yesterday with pre-written messages just type out filth about me being their dad/mum and abusing them every time I scored or saved a shot. It was a 2v2 that we NEARLY lost. Made it 5-4 with 10 seconds left. Felt so good. Submitted 2 grief reports directly after....

Ardenyal

Are you a higher rank by any chance? I see the same no matter which format I play on the ranking matches I'm better at. They do have advantages of frame rate and input lag which makes sense, anectodally speaking.

I've also noticed that PC players zone into a single game more often than not, so I wonder if the population is higher now it's not flavour of the month on PS4, but I don't have numbers to back that up.

I am at 1100 in 3v3 which is where I noticed it. I played one match with the cross plat tick box checked in settings, got full ps4 lobby in no time and everyone seemed to be around the 1k-1.5k skill rating.. off the walls, aerials, sound positioning, expert / veteran rank.. Never seen these people before though, i usually only play 3v3 and I already know most people I get matched with.

I had a guy send me a direct message on PS4 after a game saying I sucked. I then submitted a grief report and the next day I received a message from Sony saying that they'd taken action - lol. Felt good.

Had two kids yesterday with pre-written messages just type out filth about me being their dad/mum and abusing them every time I scored or saved a shot. It was a 2v2 that we NEARLY lost. Made it 5-4 with 10 seconds left. Felt so good. Submitted 2 grief reports directly after....

It's funny. I've been out of the online game thing for a while ..and recently I started getting back into it with Splatoon and now Rocket League. As a lot of you know, one of the big complaints with Splatoon prior to launch was the lack of voice chat. I really didn't have a dog in the fight initially. But after playing Rocket League, I'm thinking Nintendo had the right idea.

I do like the pre-set messages in Rocket League, and I do enjoy the sarcastic twist people add to them (missing a save = "What a save!"). But last night, people were going back and forth with "suk my dikk" after scoring a goal, and complaining people on the other team are hacking, etc etc. Not that it happens all the time, but it was a a pretty ugly situation and really sours the experience.

Haunted

new shortcut pls

"You tried"

Game continues to be great. The first time you crack 1k points in a 3v3 feels pretty good. I can accept 3v3 as the most coherent and strategic setup, it makes sense that it's the competitive default.

That said, I think I enjoy 2v2 even more. Positioning becomes crucial and mistakes are punished hard, but not unrecoverably so. I think it's a great way to train up your skills since you're on the ball more often and in do-or-die positions of responsibility constantly. That sharpens your edge.

It's funny. I've been out of the online game thing for a while ..and recently I started getting back into it with Splatoon and now Rocket League. As a lot of you know, one of the big complaints with Splatoon prior to launch was the lack of voice chat. I really didn't have a dog in the fight initially. But after playing Rocket League, I'm thinking Nintendo had the right idea.

I do like the pre-set messages in Rocket League, and I do enjoy the sarcastic twist people add to them (missing a save = "What a save!"). But last night, people were going back and forth with "suk my dikk" after scoring a goal, and complaining people on the other team are hacking, etc etc. Not that it happens all the time, but it was a a pretty ugly situation and really sours the experience.

You can set Voice and Text Chat to "Team Only" or "Disabled" under Audio Options. We're looking at adding a separate setting for Quick Chat in a future update so people who only want Quick Chat and none of the other junk can do that too. Might default Text/Voice to Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom