• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Argus

This game looks like a nightmare to control, though I'm entirely basing that off of racing games or any car centric title. Please tell me I'm wrong as this does look like a lot of fun, but I don't want to spend hours trying to completely get it.

Yudoken

do people actually find this game acceptable?

jesus christ the screen tearing is a nightmare... and the "vertical sync" option doesnt do a damn thing... will wait for an update because it looks like complete garbage otherwise

Console or pc?
No screen tearing at all on pc, tried out both vsync from game and forced with nvidia.
Occasionally there are rare hickups but other than that it works fine.
Only tested it with two players, 4p will be tested on the weekend.

MMaRsu

This game looks like a nightmare to control, though I'm entirely basing that off of racing games or any car centric title. Please tell me I'm wrong as this does look like a lot of fun, but I don't want to spend hours trying to completely get it.

Its free just try it?

KiraXD

Console or pc?
No screen tearing at all on pc, tried out both vsync from game and forced with nvidia.
Occasionally there are rare hickups but other than that it works fine.
Only tested it with two players, 4p will be tested on the weekend.

Console... its really bad... whether the vsync option is checked or not...

v1lla21

It's not hard to control at all. Quite easy actually. The hardest part is timing. A few hours of play should be enough to get you used to the game. It's free so no harm in trying. Doesn't take much space at all either.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How exactly does dodging while/after flying work? It seems like sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and I can't really figure it out. I thought maybe it didn't work if you had spent all your boost flying, but that doesn't seem to be it.

Anyway, I feel like I'm actually getting a bit better at this already (except for the flying, I still suck at that in the heat of the moment). Earlier I was constantly misjudging distances and timing, and jumping and dodging in empty space below airborne balls, but now I'm actually hitting stuff occasionally! Feels so good when you time it right and get a good hit in.

I thought it ran at stable 60fps on PS4? :(

Unfortunately it does not. Only one of the arenas is stable at 60, the others hover noticeably below that (45-55, I'd say) at all times. It still feels good to play, but it's a shame that they couldn't achieve that perfect smoothness. Seems like the grass is the culprit (unsurprisingly), as the arena with the least of that runs the best.

Woot, Sweet Tooth unlocked

Got him too.

Win a game with each of the other cars. Or perhaps just play a game with each, not 100% sure.

It's pretty easy to control in an arcadey way, the only difficulty is flying which takes practice.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Loving the game so far.

But the FPS could be... much better.

Yes sir, certain pitches especially need some work. I'm hoping we get a performance patch sometime soon. This is the type of game that really benefits from a stable 60fps.

How exactly does dodging while/after flying work? It seems like sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and I can't really figure it out. I thought maybe it didn't work if you had spent all your boost flying, but that doesn't seem to be it.

Anyway, I feel like I'm actually getting a bit better at this already (except for the flying, I still suck at that in the heat of the moment). Earlier I was constantly misjudging distances and timing, and jumping and dodging in empty space below airborne balls, but now I'm actually hitting stuff occasionally! Feels so good when you time it right and get a good hit in.

I think there's a behind-the-scenes time limit of sorts after your first X jump/going airborne. Seems about 1-2 seconds from memory. As long as you pop it off soon enough, it should work, but yeah, I'm no RL veteran.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think there's a behind-the-scenes time limit of sorts after your first X jump/going airborne. Seems about 1-2 seconds from memory. As long as you pop it off soon enough, it should work, but yeah, I'm no RL veteran.

So you can't fly across half the arena and then do a dodge to smash the ball in? Bit of a shame.

Just win a game with each of the default cars. I'm pretty sure that's what unlocked it.

This is not true.

What do you mean?

Do you mean doing the little dashes/flips?

Press X to jump once.
Once in the air, you can flick any direction + X to flip in that direction.
When flying, using just the up/down of the Left stick acts as a pivot (diving, raising the nose, like an airplane)
Alternatively: when flying, hold square (default), and push the left stick to flip freely in the air, in any direction

Was 100% ready to write this game off. Soccer with cars isn't the most compelling idea to me.

But god damn this game is fun! I'm on my first season and I've already hit "share" like 6 times! It's only vs. AI but I'm still having tons and tons of fun here.

I stand pleasantly corrected.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If you have enough juice i don't think it's a problem.

Seems to be though, because it often just doesn't work.

What do you mean?

Do you mean doing the little dashes/flips?

Press X to jump once.
Once in the air, you can flick any direction + X to flip in that direction.
When flying, hold square (default), and push in a direction to flip freely in the air.

Yes, I'm aware, but I'm talking about doing a dash/dodge/flip (X) after boost-flying for a bit. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

So you can't fly across half the arena and then do a dodge to smash the ball in? Bit of a shame.

Dont double jump right away if you want to smash the ball. Just jump once, lift off, and you should be able to dash the ball in with a secondary jump + left stick.

You can jump twice, max, but the second jump is the last chance you can do a dodge/dash

nicolajNN

It's a time thing, similar to how you can't do a double jump if you wait to long after the first jump, you might have a bit longer when flying, but it is a relatively small window after you get airborne. I hope that makes sense

TheDanimal

Should I be worried about the health of my ps4 when using the menu of this game? The bug that causes my ps4's fan to go crazy is worrying me.

This is not true.
Huh.. I read earlier in the thread that's what it was, and as soon as I won with the last car, Sweet Tooth was unlocked so I thought it was true.
All I've done in the game are: the tutorials, then one match of each type (solos, etc) with one of the default cars, and on the last one (5th, I think) - Sweet Tooth unlocked.

It's a time thing, similar to how you can't do a double jump if you wait to long after the first jump, you might have a bit longer when flying, but it is a relatively small window after you get airborne. I hope that makes sense

Hm, never noticed this. Guess I havent been flying much lol.

I dont know why you want to dash when flying anyway. Seems a lot of the flying goals/touches are very carefully planted, so the force of a dash would usually be too much.

Wow do you have no idea how these games work?

Can you enlighten us oh wise one? Server maintenance is unfortunately a common thing on launch day for games but hasn't RL been offline for around 12 hours? How the heck are you not prepared for the stress when you've made an agreement with Sony to become a subsidized plus game and will obviously have a large amount of traffic? I could understand if this was an unexpected surprise but it's not...

I'm not that bummed out about it but your flippant response to the other poster was annoying.

Played about half an hour. Couldn't get online, but I don't mind too much. However, from my first five matches I really think the teammate AI needs work. I'd say 80% of goals incurred were helped along by my stupid fucking teammates driving directly behind the ball pushing it along. They don't even try to get an angle to deflect it away; they just drive behind and give it a boost. Really starting to piss me off now - I'm losing far more than I should be because of dumb AI.

Should I be worried about the health of my ps4 when using the menu of this game? The bug that causeS my ps4's fan to go crazy is worrying me.

Avoid the menu when you can. You can actually play any mode while matchmaking in the background if you want to avoid it as much as possible

How exactly do you fly?

Play the tutorials. But you jump, then hold boost, and try to point the nose end of the car upwards.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Dont double jump right away if you want to smash the ball. Just jump once, lift off, and you should be able to dash the ball in with a secondary jump + left stick.

You can jump twice, max, but the second jump is the last chance you can do a dodge/dash

Thanks, but that's not what I'm talking about. I know how dodging works, just not combined with flying (boosting while in the air). EDIT: Maybe that's what you're talking about too though!

OK, thanks. So it's pretty much an either/or thing. If you want to boost up into the air to hit a high ball you cannot also give it an extra whack with X.

Played about half an hour. Couldn't get online, but I don't mind too much. However, from my first five matches I really think the teammate AI needs work. I'd say 80% of goals incurred were helped along by my stupid fucking teammates driving directly behind the ball pushing it along. They don't even try to get an angle to deflect it away; they just drive behind and give it a boost. Really starting to piss me off now - I'm losing far more than I should be because of dumb AI.

It'd be nice if they didn't do that, I agree. Feels like they are that bad to really help absolute noobs incapable of getting a grasp of the driving. Why else wouldn't they use boost? Doesn't make sense. You can easily exploit the starting goal on the easiest difficulty by simply running straight and lobbing the ball over.

The highest difficulty seems to play a more aggressive game, but Ive never seen them use aerials. Makes me wonder if they can add another level of A.I that utilizes flight. Cant recall seeing A.I fly. That said, the hardest A.I difficulty is a challenge for me.

A.I works solidly online though. When you have 1 A.I and like 5 online players, the A.I usually does a good job of taking opportunistic shots.

Recall

Not touched the tutorials and just dived right in and love everything about it. Unlocked Sweet Tooth by getting 1 win with each car, I just used exhibition and the garage clearly shows you which cars you haven't won a game with yet.

I'm sat at about 35% on the trophies, level 9 in game and not touched the season mode or online yet either. It's a great easy pick up and play kind of game which rewards skill and improvement.

Not too difficult at first and after 40 minutes with it everything started to come together. Practice makes prefect.

If you have PS Plus go for it, you have nothing to lose other than a few hours.

Flunkie

Banned
Man, progress isn't saved in the cloud? Figured I'd be able to continue where I left off when I downloaded the NA version.

Or is it because the servers aren't really working right now...

It works the opposite way unfortunately. The opposition AI is incredibly stupid and does the same stuff you're complaining about from your teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom