• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

One feature I would love to have is for them to save the way you customized each one of the cars, so when you change it and decide to go back, you don't have to redo everything.
Loadouts would be appreciated, as well as varying loadouts for team colors. Like having different features on blue versus orange (even different chassis). Even a way to have a random drawing of your loadouts for each match.

KanameYuuki

And is it just me or the Heart and Star antennas are way too bright, the star looks like a yellow circle most of the time.

Look at that lol:

CO09C8cW8AA5_UW.jpg

Tunavi

Banned
I hate ragequitters. Yesterday I did 6 matches, in 3 of them someone quit (1 in my team, 2 in the opposing one).

Ruins the fun really. In Ranked they should make ragequitters play only between themselves.
I love quitters in this game.

Good games with villa tonight. Gonna post the best clip from the night in a sec

Bollocks

Had a guy bail on us in ranked after the other team took the lead 2:1 with 3m to go.
He initiated to forfeit and literally 3s later he was out.
What%2Bthe%2Bhell%2Bis%2Blogic%2B_eba705a6af3218e39be2dd99f925bef5.gif

Muinaiset

Neo Member
I'm addicted to this game. Got it on PSN thanks to PS+ then eventually got it on Steam. One of the most fun multiplayer games out there right now.

Here's a compilation I did earlier of some cool and entertaining goals I've gotten so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJSTYXtLUPA

Rocket League is the only game I'll put MGSV aside for right now, lol.

The matchmaking makes noooo sense. How can silver pair with semi pro?

All the levels (rookie, pro, expert, etc.) keep track of is how long you've been playing the game, not your actual skill level. And this info is tracked on your save file (PS4) so if it becomes corrupted or you just delete it you will start back on rookie, so a rookie could actually have played an expert level number of hours.

Then as others have pointed out rank has nothing to do with your level. If a rookie starts playing ranked and gets to silver as a semi-pro you will get paired with them if you are an expert that is at same rank.

this stupid ranking sucks..

X opponent beats me , I lose 16 points.

I beat the same opponent and I gain 3 points..

Unless it's crazy broken I would think this is because you are playing someone ranked well below you. If (preseason ranking) Kronovi played a crappy player they would get a ton of points if they somehow managed to beat him and on the flipside he would get barely any when he wins. So in your case matchmaking is the culprit as it shouldn't be pairing you against someone where the reward levels are so skewed.

They could add a feature where you see the risk / reward before the match before you decide to play or not but that would likely result in too many cancelled matches and matchmaking would suck even more.

Man I don't know if:

1) Players are just getting way better
2) I'm getting worse
3) The game physics have slightly changed

But I find myself losing way more often in the past couple of weeks than I ever have. Still cant break the 400-430 rank in 2v2 with my bud.

Are there any tips and strategies that have helped you guys out? I've been practicing aerials and getting a little better at it trying to get above other players but I still suck ass at it.

Unless it's crazy broken I would think this is because you are playing someone ranked well below you. If (preseason ranking) Kronovi played a crappy player they would get a ton of points if they somehow managed to beat him and on the flipside he would get barely any when he wins. So in your case matchmaking is the culprit as it shouldn't be pairing you against someone where the reward levels are so skewed.

They could add a feature where you see the risk / reward before the match before you decide to play or not but that would likely result in too many cancelled matches and matchmaking would suck even more.

It's Crazy broken.

Kronovi played someone ranked like 240 points ahead of him, crushed the guy, and got 0 rating points.

It almost appears as though the comparison in rating for purposes of rating up is based on the pre-season rankings or something, so the higher you were ranked in pre-season the worse the points will screw you now in the real season.

It's Crazy broken.

Kronovi played someone ranked like 240 points ahead of him, crushed the guy, and got 0 rating points.

It almost appears as though the comparison in rating for purposes of rating up is based on the pre-season rankings or something, so the higher you were ranked in pre-season the worse the points will screw you now in the real season.

When Kronovi ain't even top ranked and stops gaining points when beating down people with 91% wins, something is very wrong.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
All the levels (rookie, pro, expert, etc.) keep track of is how long you've been playing the game, not your actual skill level. And this info is tracked on your save file (PS4) so if it becomes corrupted or you just delete it you will start back on rookie, so a rookie could actually have played an expert level number of hours.

Then as others have pointed out rank has nothing to do with your level. If a rookie starts playing ranked and gets to silver as a semi-pro you will get paired with them if you are an expert that is at same rank.

Trust me I get that, and the pros/semi-pros are clearly not ready for silver. I've seen some good ones, but the majority don't belong in this tier and it ends up borderline 2v1. On top of that quitters are ridiculous in ranked, they should get 20 points docked or more for that.

That's a good idea. The 15 minute ban has helped a little but losing significant points might actually encourage the quitters to keep playing.

Backlogger

Had a great 2v2 match last night where after the opponents' 1st goal one of them called us "trash". We ended up tying up the game in the last couple minutes and then won in overtime. Against my better judgment, and much to the chagrin of my random teammate, I called them "trash" back. It felt good, I have no regrets.

Had a guy bail on us in ranked after the other team took the lead 2:1 with 3m to go.
He initiated to forfeit and literally 3s later he was out.

Yeah, that is beyond frustrating.

Bollocks

I don't know what the fuck is wrong with ranked matches.
Preseason me and a buddy ranked 694 and it was a pretty good ride overall.
Got put into Silver 1 and we barely manage to win, it just isn't fun anymore.

What's worse is when I watch Twitch streams and they are in the Silver league too they barely have to counter aerials, or go for aerials themselves.
Here I am, Silver 1 and me and a buddy have to constantly counter aerials, opponents bounce the ball off the wall, fast pacing.. and so on.

I would like to know where and when we lost our game

Could be luck of the draw. I won 8-9 in a row after new ranking system. Then went .500 for like 20 games. Then lost 5 in a row and now am on another win streak. Competition has been less of a problem than teammates for me, but I *have* run into some buzzsaws and maybe you just have been unlucky on that front?

Enlighten me.

Has your experience shown that teams are better with a dedicated goalie, or are they better if all players play both sides of the court and leave the goal open?

I've had way too many teammates where field position of the ball doesn't matter to them. There are obvious plays where the goalie can change the field position by clearing the ball out to the other side (closer to the opponents goal), but lots of players seem to be playing just to get the ball away from the other teams immediate striker. In this game hitting the ball towards your own goal is never a means of success.

Enlighten me.

Has your experience shown that teams are better with a dedicated goalie, or are they better if all players play both sides of the court and leave the goal open?

I've had way too many teammates where field position of the ball doesn't matter to them. There are obvious plays where the goalie can change the field position by clearing the ball out to the other side (closer to the opponents goal), but lots of players seem to be playing just to get the ball away from the other teams immediate striker. In this game hitting the ball towards your own goal is never a means of success.

The best teams (in terms of MLG and ESL success) all have "goalies". I put goalies in quotes because it's more defender than goalie, and they frequently move up if it is advantageous to do so, so they aren't quite sit in the goal all the time people.

But Cosmic Aftershock, Kings of Urban, and vQ Untethered (the three North American teams to actually win something I'm aware of) all have that guy.

The best teams (in terms of MLG and ESL success) all have "goalies". I put goalies in quotes because it's more defender than goalie, and they frequently move up if it is advantageous to do so, so they aren't quite sit in the goal all the time people.

But Cosmic Aftershock, Kings of Urban, and vQ Untethered (the three North American teams to actually win something I'm aware of) all have that guy.

That's what I thought. I never play "in the goal" (if the ball gets close enough for you to play it from there you've generally already lost the point) and I always go as far as half court if my two strikers are controlling the ball in the opponents half...but it just seems reckless to simply commit offensively and hope that someone on your team can get back in time if the opposing team has the position advantage and good strikers.

Someone in a ranked game got pissed at me because...other than when I was doing the face off I'd stay back..allowing the other two to play offense. The problem was, the other teams two strikers were better than my teams two strikers, so we were constantly in our half of the field with noone really clearing out. There would constantly be one or two of my guys in either of our corners not clearing the ball out..which left me to wait until one of the opposing strikers attempt a corner push....

We lost 5-2

...but it just seems reckless to simply commit offensively and hope that someone on your team can get back in time if the opposing team has the position advantage and good strikers.
Comes down to communication and knowing your teammates. I've played with random people who understand and appreciate rotation. If I'm playing midfield/defense and I see a playable ball to strike, I'll go for it knowing the furthest back person will rotate back. If I'm playing with ball rushers that don't rotate, then I'll continue to play midfield and only go for the most opportune strikes. It's not reckless if people communicate or have a good feel for how the others play.

Gibbs, the main defender on Cosmic Aftershock, spends good chunks of time in the offensive zone. He doesn't stay there, but will take a shot when it's advantageous and peel back right after (often swiping a corner boost in the opponent's zone so they're deprived of it for a while). While he's up, one of his teammates is always back to play defense. I've also seen both of this teammates play goalie until he gets back when there's pressure in their zone.

I play 2v2 with my son and we rotate on both ends. 2v2 is quite different from 3v3, but either way it's much more advantageous if the closest person with the best angle clear the ball on the defensive end. So if the person in goal has the best shot, they have to let the other person know they're clearing so the other person can rotate into the goal. I give the AI a lot of flak, but one thing I like is how it will leave the goal and go clear the ball if you come into the goal (and since they're terrible in goal, it's usually the wisest move).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom