• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question originally was are teams better for having a goalie.

Answer: Yes.

The rest is a bunch of stuff you've added for some reason to explain why in some circumstances it might be better to not have one.

Well, ok? In some circumstances it's probably better to have no strikers too. That doesn't mean having them is a bad idea in general.

And maybe you shouldn't say something like "I don't think you can look at the best teams and say they are better teams *because* they have a dedicated "goalie"." The fact that randoms playing with non-elites might be better for not having a goalie doesn't mean this statement, which is what I was replying to, isn't wrong.

Original question was (pay attention to bolded text!) :

"Enlighten me. Has your experience shown that teams are better with a dedicated goalie, or are they better if all players play both sides of the court and leave the goal open? I've had way too many teammates where field position of the ball doesn't matter to them. . There are obvious plays where the goalie can change the field position by clearing the ball out to the other side (closer to the opponents goal), but lots of players seem to be playing just to get the ball away from the other teams immediate striker. In this game hitting the ball towards your own goal is never a means of success"

The question was clearly asked in frustration to playing with random teammates who stink. You are the one brought up elite teams to support your opinion. Elite teams are comprised of elite players (don't stink) and play together all the time (not random). I won't rehash my arguments on this front.

Everything I have been saying applies to 90% of the time. Not just some circumstances. The "bunch of stuff I've added for some reason" supports my opinion.

You have yours and I have mine. Agree to disagree.

As long as it's counting at all online, it's not glitched. Your km to games seems pretty in line with where you should be. It's also glitched to unlock early, so chances are you'll get it sooner than later anyways.

It takes a lonngggggggggg time to drive that far, even if you play the game a ton, and the more you play (most people) tend to play smarter, which usually means slower / driving less / flying more (does flying count?)

I have logged so many hours in this game and still haven't hit 500km. Almost there though ;)

whoszed

Ranked servers not working at all, managed to get into a regular game though. This happen before?

Edit: last I tried, nothing worked

Pepiope

Think I just found a PC glitch?

Was looking for 2v2 ranked, and I was instead put into a 3v3 ranked and it started 3v1. Lost 7-5 and points for my doubles rank.

jotun?

Think I just found a PC glitch?

Was looking for 2v2 ranked, and I was instead put into a 3v3 ranked and it started 3v1. Lost 7-5 and points for my doubles rank.

I've had something similar happen, prior to the last update

3v3 ranked queue, game showed 8 players on the right side. It started as a 4v2, luckily I was on the 4!

I just bought the game yesterday, played a 3v3 season with bots, didn't make the play offs... They really work against you don't they? Play a couple one on one games online and that wasn't pretty.

Sorry if it's been asked before...
720p is the max res. I changed the basesystemsettings.ini and defaultsystemsettings.ini to 1080p and its still at 720p. I never had this issue before. Solutions?

Grinchy

Banned
Sorry if it's been asked before...
720p is the max res. I changed the basesystemsettings.ini and defaultsystemsettings.ini to 1080p and its still at 720p. I never had this issue before. Solutions?

You should be editing TASystemSettings. And it should look like this for 1080p:

nQyFH6t.png

PSYCHED. I f'n love this sport and can't wait for the DLC and Utopia (favorite) at dusk. I've also reached a comfort level with controls / standard stadiums that when the non-standard ones arrive they are gonna be hella fun to play. This is one of my all time favorite games and the developers and their free update / DLC model strikes the perfect balance. Still can't believe I got this game for free so each one is $4 well spent.

My only wish is to beef up season mode a little. Would love stat tracking / league leaders and of course better defensive AI.

Hey sorry I haven't been active lately, I had a family member pass away and been dealing with that.

If anyone needs a partner (Tunavi just messaged me) for the tourney I'd be happy to join. This weekend isn't great for me but everything after should be fine for scheduling some games

Hey sorry I haven't been active lately, I had a family member pass away and been dealing with that.

If anyone needs a partner (Tunavi just messaged me) for the tourney I'd be happy to join. This weekend isn't great for me but everything after should be fine for scheduling some games

Sorry to hear about that, Nanners. Hope to play again with you soon.

So is it best to just learn to hit the ball with Ball Cam on? I always turn it off on the approach. Seems like it would streamline some of my actions... At the moment I just find BC reeeaaaally disorienting when trying to hit the ball with it on.

So is it best to just learn to hit the ball with Ball Cam on? I always turn it off on the approach. Seems like it would streamline some of my actions... At the moment I just find BC reeeaaaally disorienting when trying to hit the ball with it on.

Yeah it's tough at first but you get used to it

I have no idea how anyone plays without

Pepiope

Yep. My ballcam only goes off if I'm looking for a boost or a demo.

I haven't seen it mentioned much or at all here, but the new spectate mode is pretty badass. It shows the stats on screen for each player and is super clean.

Also more dribble fun including a super slow silly Utopia one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CeOaWCypdM

Very nice! Dribbling is on my to do list of things to work on.

Found this guy online who does video game/cartoon a cappella and one of his better videos is a rocket league one. https://youtu.be/jlvT1d-PKGg

Damn, copying Smooth McGroove. Bound to happen eventually.

Unicorn

Playerbase took a nosedive. Still around 40k playing consistently but moving to community has eroded GAF. That and MGSV.

I need people that aren't venomous randoms to play with :(

AcridMeat

Banned
I did'nt even know this existed.

Rocket League Stats
Interesting, nice way to quickly share stats with people. I've been pretty garbage this season on offense but my defense is so much better. I still wish they had some way of acknowledging blocked shots/deflections or those that prevent it from even getting to the box. I play a holding midfielder role on defense a lot I've noticed.
Also haven't had a group together to play ranked 3s in so long. :( MVPs this season have dropped dramatically too, used to be around 3/4 for wins now 1/3 haha.

I play ranked solos mostly. Can't break out bronze/silver. Game is at 100k right now so it's doing pretty good still. I hope they start getting some substantial tournaments going to get the viewership back up on twitch. MLG ones are good but I hate having o watch on their website.

I've been thinking lately how much bigger this game could be if they had went the CSGO route with full workshop support for cars, cosmetics, maps and offered case drops and keys that were marketable.

Though for the consumer 4.99 a month is a great deal for the amount of DLC they make those tournament specific cases bring in a lot of scratch for the devs and tournaments. I'd hate to have to see Psyonix rely strictly on third party funding for their tournaments. I just don't know how sustainable monthly/bi monthly DLC packs are for the long term in this game.

I have a few questions. What is the problem exactly that people have been having with the matchmaking since launch?

Question 2. Me and my friend were hovering around 100 (Bronze I) in 2v2, couldn't get significantly above it for the life of us. We stopped playing one day at like 96. We come on the next day and we're both at 300. Wha? What was that all about? I don't want to be at a rank that I didn't earn >:{

I have a few questions. What is the problem exactly that people have been having with the matchmaking since launch?

Question 2. Me and my friend were hovering around 100 (Bronze I) in 2v2, couldn't get significantly above it for the life of us. We stopped playing one day at like 96. We come on the next day and we're both at 300. Wha? What was that all about? I don't want to be at a rank that I didn't earn >:{

You earned it. few days after the new matchmaking went live they reshuffled it based on your old preseason placements.

Pogonip

Neo Member
I'm one trophy away from getting Platinum, and it's the "Play online with a friend" trophy. Since I have no friends that have Rocket League and nobody wants to buy it despite my pestering them, I need GAF to help me out. I also would like to play with people here too, it does get boring going solo vs. parties of three in ranked all the time.

PSN is Waterfox93, I'm usually online during weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom