• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comes down to communication and knowing your teammates. I've played with random people who understand and appreciate rotation. If I'm playing midfield/defense and I see a playable ball to strike, I'll go for it knowing the furthest back person will rotate back. If I'm playing with ball rushers that don't rotate, then I'll continue to play midfield and only go for the most opportune strikes. It's not reckless if people communicate or have a good feel for how the others play.

Gibbs, the main defender on Cosmic Aftershock, spends good chunks of time in the offensive zone. He doesn't stay there, but will take a shot when it's advantageous and peel back right after (often swiping a corner boost in the opponent's zone so they're deprived of it for a while). While he's up, one of his teammates is always back to play defense. I've also seen both of this teammates play goalie until he gets back when there's pressure in their zone.

I play 2v2 with my son and we rotate on both ends. 2v2 is quite different from 3v3, but either way it's much more advantageous if the closest person with the best angle clear the ball on the defensive end. So if the person in goal has the best shot, they have to let the other person know they're clearing so the other person can rotate into the goal. I give the AI a lot of flak, but one thing I like is how it will leave the goal and go clear the ball if you come into the goal (and since they're terrible in goal, it's usually the wisest move).

This is fine when you're playing with friends, or playing with voice communication.

I've played 623 matches. ALL with strangers, and 95% of those will respond prior to the face off with "centering", "I got it" or "defending" There is no communication during the match other than "nice shot" "sorry" "what a save" "@%^#^%".

So...for random matches I don't see how it would be possible to successfully just switch off from offense to defense and vice versa. Not consistently anyway.

One guy shouldn't be responsible for watching net and then creeping up to midfield and then joining in on offense where appropriate. Every player should be responsible for doing this.

When my teams dominate it's almost always because all 3 were paying attention to where the ball is in relation to themselves and the other players, and very rarely due to having a perma goalie / defender. Honestly just 2 players paying attention is enough to win most games.

At end of day it comes down to the strengths and weaknesses of your team vs the other team. I don't think you can decide before the ball drops which role you or someone else has to play. There should be a feeling out process and then you adjust on the fly.

As far as communication goes I play games with randoms where we play in total sync with each other without any voice or chat. Center / clear, don't bunch up and cycle / get back on D. The problem isn't communication. It's people who can't grasp a simple game.

One guy shouldn't be responsible for watching net and then creeping up to midfield and then joining in on offense where appropriate. Every player should be responsible for doing this.

When my teams dominate it's almost always because all 3 were paying attention to where the ball is in relation to themselves and the other players, and very rarely due to having a perma goalie / defender. Honestly just 2 players paying attention is enough to win most games.

At end of day it comes down to the strengths and weaknesses of your team vs the other team. I don't think you can decide before the ball drops which role you or someone else has to play. There should be a feeling out process and then you adjust on the fly.

As far as communication goes I play games with randoms where we play in total sync with each other without any voice or chat. Center / clear, don't bunch up and cycle / get back on D. The problem isn't communication. It's people who can't grasp a simple game.

Yet. the best teams have a goalie. IE...someone who focused on goalie more than striking and is better at one (goaliie) than another (striking). Sheesh. Maybe they should get rid of goalies in soccer too. I mean, it's obviously better defensively if it's a team concern instead of a specialized role. Opinions.

Obviously playing online doesn't allow one the freedom to always play one role or the other. BUT, my contention is, if you have a good goalie that can help keep the opponents goal scoring down it's better than simply telling that person "hey, we need you to attack" (even if you're not good at it) . If we need to stop someone then hurry back and get into the goal.

Good 3v3 rotation video.

In that video someone is always back playing defense.

When I've played I've noticed that at least 50% of the time, when somene says they are defending...that person waits...sees an opportunity to attack...comes forward, then I see the goal completely unguarded so I rotate to the goal. I'm comfortable there, so I generally stay in that area until I see an offensive opening and the opposing player doesn't have an offensive player closer to my goal than I am.

Yet. the best teams have a goalie. IE...someone who focused on goalie more than striking and is better at one (goaliie) than another (striking). Sheesh. Maybe they should get rid of goalies in soccer too. I mean, it's obviously better defensively if it's a team concern instead of a specialized role. Opinions.

I don't think you can look at the best teams and say they are better teams *because* they have a dedicated "goalie". We are talking about elite players. The dedicated "goalies" on these teams would likely be the best strikers on most non-elite teams. As far as getting rid of goalies in soccer goes... Rocket League is not soccer :) It's a future sport with a giant floating ball and cars that can fly.

Soccer / hockey both have goalies BUT they also both have special rules / perks for the position. In soccer, the keeper can touch the ball with his hands and pick the ball up. In hockey, the keeper has special pads and equipment. He couldn't play offense if he wanted to.

In Rocket League, there is no difference between any of the players. There are no special advantages / rules. You aren't forced by the game to stay in the net. There is a 1 v 1 game which would be pretty boring if both players just stayed in their nets. Just because goalies stay in their nets / half of field in these sports doesn't mean you should do it in Rocket League.

Like I said, it comes down to strengths and weaknesses of the teams. If the situation presents itself for someone to focus more on goal / D I'm all for it but I'm not sure how often you actually see this. It sounds good on paper but if someone is competent in goal can they really be that bad in other aspects of the game? You either can hit the ball or you can't. Most players I see who focus more on goal / D are just as bad at that as they are at everything else. In these cases the argument is where do you stash your weakest link and for me I would rather not have them be our last line of defense :)

I don't think you can look at the best teams and say they are better teams *because* they have a dedicated "goalie". We are talking about elite players. The dedicated "goalies" on these teams would likely be the best strikers on most non-elite teams. As far as getting rid of goalies in soccer goes... Rocket League is not soccer :) It's a future sport with a giant floating ball and cars that can fly.

Soccer / hockey both have goalies BUT they also both have special rules / perks for the position. In soccer, the keeper can touch the ball with his hands and pick the ball up. In hockey, the keeper has special pads and equipment. He couldn't play offense if he wanted to.

In Rocket League, there is no difference between any of the players. There are no special advantages / rules. You aren't forced by the game to stay in the net. There is a 1 v 1 game which would be pretty boring if both players just stayed in their nets. Just because goalies stay in their nets / half of field in these sports doesn't mean you should do it in Rocket League.

Like I said, it comes down to strengths and weaknesses of the teams. If the situation presents itself for someone to focus more on goal / D I'm all for it but I'm not sure how often you actually see this. It sounds good on paper but if someone is competent in goal can they really be that bad in other aspects of the game? You either can hit the ball or you can't. Most players I see who focus more on goal / D are just as bad at that as they are at everything else. In these cases the argument is where do you stash your weakest link and for me I would rather not have them be our last line of defense :)

I've put in over 100 hours in RL. I'd say 90% of that time(including trainings) has been spent on the back half of the court. I've spent maybe 2 hours at most in the striker trainings and zero time in the aerial training. I've spent at least 20 hours doing the goalie training.

So yes, I'm better at playing/anticipating at goalie than I am at striking. I've never put up more than 2 shots in a mulitplayer game.

This is fine when you're playing with friends, or playing with voice communication.

I've played 623 matches. ALL with strangers, and 95% of those will respond prior to the face off with "centering", "I got it" or "defending" There is no communication during the match other than "nice shot" "sorry" "what a save" "@%^#^%".

So...for random matches I don't see how it would be possible to successfully just switch off from offense to defense and vice versa. Not consistently anyway.

I've played over 900 matches, nearly all with strangers, most of it in unranked 3v3. There are times when you encounter people who get how to rotate. I agree it's rare to see people signal they are centering or defending while playing, but I've played with lots of people who understand basic strategy and rotation. Sometimes we'll get our wires crossed because there's no voice communication, but overall we understand what to do.

It helps when you're playing with people who are more experienced. Lately, I've been matched with mostly Veterans mixed in with some Pros and a smattering of Experts. It also helps when you keep playing with the same group through rematches. You get a better feel for how your teammates play.

It's always sad when I play well with someone and they leave [sheds a tear]. Players who understand strategy and rotation are in the minority, so you need to friend them when you find them! That's the best way to keep from playing with randoms all the time. Let me know if you want to party up some time. Lately I've been playing with my son in 2v2, but his HS starts early in the morning so I often play by myself later at night (east coast).

Rocket League Rotation Method
OzIOPeh.png

Season 1 Update

If you caught our post this past weekend, then you also caught our plan to make a few changes to Ranked Season 1 play. Now that we’ve had a few more days to work on it (and gathered additional information), we are now ready (and have begun) to implement those changes.

What We Have Changed
1) Starting later this evening, September 15, at 6pm PT/ 9pm ET, we will re-seed players into more accurate Divisions. Once this has happened, you may notice a jump in your RP and shifts out of the first Division of Bronze, Silver, and Gold into "II" or "III" based on your Preseason Matchmaking Rating (MMR)
Note: Players will only move up in rank because of the re-seed ; players who already surpassed their Preseason MMR will not move down and, instead, remain at their current standing

2) Preseason MMR and Skill "Uncertainty" have been restored to their previous levels, but with a new minimum Uncertainty so that your MMR doesn't stagnate
This should improve the quality of Ranked matchmaking and remedy some of the issues caused by the initial Season 1 reset (which was creating matches with a wider skill variance than intended).

3) The Rank Points algorithm has re-enabled "Trending" so that, if you're playing matches above your division, you will gain additional RP with Wins and lose less RP with losses. By default, the RP you gain or lose is based on match difficulty, but this is an additional measure for players whose skill (MMR) has outpaced their rank (RP)

What We'll Be Watching
1) Matchmaking Quality. We will continue to observe the results of the changes we've highlighted above and fine-tune as needed if players experience a skill variance that's too wide in Ranked games. We definitely don't want to create match situations in which players only gain or lose 0-1 RP.

2) Rank Points System. We are still tuning and identifying specific situations where it might be more difficult than intended for players to gain RP, and we fully plan on addressing these situations as we encounter them.

You should have already seen some changes to the RP system over the last 24 hours as we began to roll-out our initial changes (and we have seen very positive results, with better-quality matchmaking and RP rewards). As we move forward through Season 1, we will continue to improve the gameplay experience for all of our competitive players, and we appreciate you guys sticking with us.
Good luck!

DToneli

Neo Member
I don't know why, but yesterday I was bronze I, and today without playing ranked my 3v3 rank is Silver II (500 points) that is a 400 points upgrade having played only unranked. I am a lvl 32 veteran and have not a single clue of what the hell happened

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't know why, but yesterday I was bronze I, and today without playing ranked my 3v3 rank is Silver II (500 points) that is a 400 points upgrade having played only unranked. I am a lvl 32 veteran and have not a single clue of what the hell happened

See 5 posts up :V

AcridMeat

Banned
Played against all PC opponents with two ps4 teammates for 3 or 4 games in a row.

I think I understand why they added the ability to search for just PC teammates. I didn't believe it but yeesh. Went 2-2 nonetheless, back in platinum country.

Me and my teammate were playing 2v2s for a while and we simply cannot win a game with bronze rank. Before we got there, we were wining the majority of the matches. As soon as we get to bronze, we lose. And it would happen over and over again. Must be because we're put into matches with other bronze teams at that point? (who are generally better because of it) Or does it not work that way and we're just choking? (or coincidentally going against better people as soon as we hit bronze?)

Ardenyal

Played against all PC opponents with two ps4 teammates for 3 or 4 games in a row.

I think I understand why they added the ability to search for just PC teammates. I didn't believe it but yeesh. Went 2-2 nonetheless, back in platinum country.

Its the PC players that play on keyboard that are garbage. Shame the solo standard queue doesnt have more players or I would always play with PS4 only.

Ardenyal

Pepiope is on keyboard and he's better than anyone on gaf I've played with. >_>

There are always aliens high up top on the GT Academy leaderboards who play on pad but in general the pad warriors are really not good in GT. Same applies to Rocket League.

<_<

Soulflarz

Banned
There are always aliens high up top on the GT Academy leaderboards who play on pad but in general the pad warriors are really not good in GT. Same applies to Rocket League.

<_<

Wait what, in general everyone good in RL uses a pad :V

Also can someone good reteach me how to play/do some doubles with me for 45m?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm so done with ranked until they redo the entire thing. Nothing but complete steamrolls for either side right now. :/

Unranked is still the best for all games, it seems. Much less a headache than shitty matchmaking.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm so done with ranked until they redo the entire thing. Nothing but complete steamrolls for either side right now. :/

Unranked is still the best for all games, it seems. Much less a headache than shitty matchmaking.

By that do you mean where person 1 or person 2 is absolutely crushing the other? I think that might have more to do with people quitting the game and now only decent people are around- see splatoon vs splatoon at launch.

I don't think you can look at the best teams and say they are better teams *because* they have a dedicated "goalie". We are talking about elite players. The dedicated "goalies" on these teams would likely be the best strikers on most non-elite teams.

I'd say they are better because they have a dedicated "goalie", because if they weren't better for it they wouldn't do it.

The fact that these players would also make good strikers is totally irrelevant.

The_Poet

Banned

Told you man, PS4 players are way worse on average.

They also have the tendency to AFK for the first 5 seconds of a kickoff

I'd say they are better because they have a dedicated "goalie", because if they weren't better for it they wouldn't do it.

The fact that these players would also make good strikers is totally irrelevant.

It's very relevant because again -- these are elite players -- whose dedicated goalies don't do so because they are better at goal but more so because their teammates are even better strikers. And these are TEAMS who play together regularly. It's entirely different from the reason the whole goalie or no goalie argument gets brought up, which 99% of the time is by non-elite people playing with randoms who

a) don't like it when no one else on their team pays attention to defense so they feel they have to be the one that sacrifices their offensive game to do so or

b) they aren't very good at offense and are more comfortable playing defense

Non-elite players can't just look at elite teams and think what they do applies to them. It's apples to oranges. If you have a solid all around game and are playing on the same team over and over again of course you are going to carve out more defined roles. I've said several times now it depends on the strengths and weaknesses of your team.

But again 99% people aren't talking about playing in an established team -- they are talking about playing with randoms -- and having a dedicated goalie because some elite teams do it is no different than thinking you will play better by copying their camera settings.

Ok guys, weird thing last night.

When the update came around last week, we both got put into Silver I at 400 points.

I last played this game Sunday night, and we stopped playing Ranked 2v2 at around ~400.

Booted it up last night and checked ranked, I was now placed in Silver II at 500 points even, but my friend was still back at 409. What happened?(not that I'm complaining)

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the post higher up.

Also, I finally convinced my friend to start using ball cam, he hated it for about 5 minutes, then was amazed at how much better he was playing, and how we both were playing as a team. Totally glad that he switched.

I really, really wish they'd add just slightly more time at kickoff. There's always a fuckton of lag at the beginning of the match.

Yeah this happens often. Sometimes I feel bad when I rush for the shot and notice after I hit it theyre not even moving until its too late. Other times I'll be in spectator mode as the opening kick off is already underway, and I'll appear only to see a ball coming straight at my face.

I wish there was an option to make the borders of your screen blindingly bright flashing neon green while playing loud sirens in the background whenever ball cam is on.

rossonero

I was wondering why I went from 260 to 400 and then I saw the post above. They put me back from 400 to 100 when the season started so it felt much more satisfying reaching 260 than now magically being back at 400.

Lets hope they don't tinker with it much more.

Why kick and ban people for being idle in ranked? My game just froze and when I came back I was kicked and banned.

It should also be possible to re-join a ranked game.

Grinchy

Banned
I really, really wish they'd add just slightly more time at kickoff. There's always a fuckton of lag at the beginning of the match.

Yeah, this is something I was hoping to see with the patch. The game doesn't spend enough time setting up, so the first kickoff is just a clusterfuck of technical issues. I think this might only be a PS4 issue, though. I never noticed it on PC.

aZKxFJP.jpg

Sometimes you just get in the zone, man. Feel like a golden god!

Most of the time just hitting "whoops" and "sorry!" though.

Did you save the clip? I love watching others videos here. It's kind of why I like to post mine. In a game where you're in control of everything it's awesome seeing what you and others can do. Speaking of:

When you get in a groove as teammates cool things happen. I've seen the arguments on the merit of talking but each one of these happened because of good communication, they weren't accidents. A combination of trust, familiarity, and communicating goes a long way. Shoutout to Villa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syUZrQZUFYg

Bonus ankle break:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7lGzGNn2zE

tm24

Last night's reseed was a success. Was gold 1 at start but everyone was clearly better. Now the matches are much closer and even at gold 1

Dr Prob

Banned

I did, but it's not that interesting compared to what you just posted :D Good stuff.

The first was a desperation wall jump/boost from one of our corners as we just couldn't seem to clear the ball and needed something to happen fast which resulted in a breakaway/easy tap in. Second was free, as we started in the side-by-side formation for the kickoff and they inexplicably didn't send anyone (one went off for boost and the other headed back to the net despite there already being someone there) and cocked up the save. After that they were doing too much (love when the momentum shift is palpable like that) so the last two were easy--was still pumped like Andres Cantor though. This game is awesome.

Thraktor

It's very relevant because again -- these are elite players -- whose dedicated goalies don't do so because they are better at goal but more so because their teammates are even better strikers. And these are TEAMS who play together regularly. It's entirely different from the reason the whole goalie or no goalie argument gets brought up, which 99% of the time is by non-elite people playing with randoms who

a) don't like it when no one else on their team pays attention to defense so they feel they have to be the one that sacrifices their offensive game to do so or

Non-elite players can't just look at elite teams and think what they do applies to them. It's apples to oranges. If you have a solid all around game and are playing on the same team over and over again of course you are going to carve out more defined roles. I've said several times now it depends on the strengths and weaknesses of your team.

But again 99% people aren't talking about playing in an established team -- they are talking about playing with randoms -- and having a dedicated goalie because some elite teams do it is no different than thinking you will play better by copying their camera settings.

Quite true. I'm no expert at the game by any means, but just after reading this discussion I had a game where I was primarily playing goalie, but scored the following goal:

rocketleaguegoaliegoal.gif

Sometimes you just have to go with the momentum you get from a clearance, and if I hadn't been willing to stay out of goal neither of my team-mates would have been in place to get the finish. Granted if the opposing team had a proper goalie they wouldn't have let the ball cross the net, but as you say I was playing with randoms, so those opportunities do present themselves.

And, while I'm posting gifs, in the very next game I finally managed to get a save that I felt might actually deserve the "epic" moniker:

rocketleagueepicsave.gif

Satisfying.

The question originally was are teams better for having a goalie.

Answer: Yes.

The rest is a bunch of stuff you've added for some reason to explain why in some circumstances it might be better to not have one.

Well, ok? In some circumstances it's probably better to have no strikers too. That doesn't mean having them is a bad idea in general.

And maybe you shouldn't say something like "I don't think you can look at the best teams and say they are better teams *because* they have a dedicated "goalie"." The fact that randoms playing with non-elites might be better for not having a goalie doesn't mean this statement, which is what I was replying to, isn't wrong.

madp0k

How fucked am I?

All trophy's apart from the 500km, stats on my wheels are showing around 70km.

I though it was fixed on the .03 patch but it doesn't appear to have affected mine.

200 odd games so far lol

How fucked am I?

All trophy's apart from the 500km, stats on my wheels are showing around 70km.

I though it was fixed on the .03 patch but it doesn't appear to have affected mine.

200 odd games so far lol

As long as it's counting at all online, it's not glitched. Your km to games seems pretty in line with where you should be. It's also glitched to unlock early, so chances are you'll get it sooner than later anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom