• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

IISANDERII

They should've made the BTTF car free to bring back players. I've been trying to get back into it but the small player base is a turn off for a few reasons.

They should've made the BTTF car free to bring back players. I've been trying to get back into it but the small player base is a turn off for a few reasons.

I have some issues with matchmaking but finding a match is rarely one of them. It gets trumped number-wise by a handful of games on PC but that's really it. Most nights it's regularly around 80-90k still. Especially after this many months for an indie title, that's pretty good.

IISANDERII

I have some issues with matchmaking but finding a match is rarely one of them. It gets trumped number-wise by a handful of games on PC but that's really it. Most nights it's regularly around 80-90k still. Especially after this many months for an indie title, that's pretty good.
Yeah maybe there are too many play lists. The mismatched player skill is a huge turn off.

Haunted

It's impossible to progress in this game when you win one and then get a string of losses. I don't understand the matchmaking. I play one good game, then get put up against players better than me with a teammate who seemingly has no idea how to play.
Seems like you're in the right place in terms of matchmaking if you win some and lose some. There's no obligation on the side of the game to make sure you "progress" in points.

I've been in Silver between ~430-480 points forever, and the matches are often close and tense.

My playing time has dropped to about 0, despite being significantly improved I've dropped 125 points in skill.
You're not the only one getting better. Also, as more casual players drop the game and only the dedicated remain, the points average should drop (as points are representative of your position in the spectrum of players).

We did it on purpose. There was such contention on whether or not it should have music during the games. A lot of different opinions. If I remember correctly we decided to not have it, because we really wanted the main focus to be you, your car, and the game going on. If you have PS4 we actually made it so you can load spotify and it pauses all music in the game so you can play whatever playlist you want. I do it all the time, gotta listen to those J-Pop tunes. Even the game's OST. If you are on PC just load up the soundtrack on the many streaming services it is on.

I don't see any reason to not offer the choice in the audio setting to turn the music on during the matches. Don't force it on players. You even acknowledge that some like to have music on and tell them to "load up spotify" if they want to listen to some. I shouldn't have to load up spotify to listen to music in video games. What kind of design is that? Just put in the option for those who want it. I have a super low data cap that I almost bust each time even when I take precautions not to watch too many videos and download too many things, and I get charged 8$ for every extra gigabyte. I cannot start streaming music for hours when I play video games because apparently designers thought this was better than having an actual built-in parameter in the options that lets players do that like every other video game on the market.

If you're so concerned about the player experience, then just have that option turned off by default. I cannot envision a world in which you will tarnish your game's reputation and lose sales by adding such an option. Quite the opposite, actually.

Please add this option.

It's impossible to progress in this game when you win one and then get a string of losses. I don't understand the matchmaking. I play one good game, then get put up against players better than me with a teammate who seemingly has no idea how to play.

I'm struggling with this as well.

Hating teammates who just hit the ball because they can.

Ball rolling into the enemy goal but you can ram into it at an angle that would stop the goal? Do it, just because you can!

Ball right in front our own goal and you will knock it in if ram it? DO it just because you can!

You have absolutely no chance of scoring at the angle you are but your teammate heading for ball has perfect shot? Fuck everyone and do it.

bargeparty

Seems like you're in the right place in terms of matchmaking if you win some and lose some. There's no obligation on the side of the game to make sure you "progress" in points.

I've been in Silver between ~430-480 points forever, and the matches are often close and tense.

Uhh. I don't think so. It should match players up evenly regarding skill level. Games ideally would be close but the better team should win most of the time (aside from the usual rocket league luck bs).

You shouldn't win one game and then lose 15 in a row. It shouldn't be a lopsided mess. Just as I get into some games and we completely destroy the opposition.

I took a break from this game before all of these changes (which I haven't even looked up to be honest) and I was in Silver I probably. I lost game after game after game after game and now I'm Bronze II (I think) with no way to get out because it matches me up unevenly virtually every time.

I should also mention this is for strictly 2v2 ranked.

DrkSage

Uhh. I don't think so. It should match players up evenly regarding skill level. Games ideally would be close but the better team should win most of the time (aside from the usual rocket league luck bs).

You shouldn't win one game and then lose 15 in a row. It shouldn't be a lopsided mess. Just as I get into some games and we completely destroy the opposition.

I took a break from this game before all of these changes (which I haven't even looked up to be honest) and I was in Silver I probably. I lost game after game after game after game and now I'm Bronze II (I think) with no way to get out because it matches me up unevenly virtually every time.

I should also mention this is for strictly 2v2 ranked.

I'm stuck between the 400-500 rank in solo standard due to this. It's annoying that the game pairs you up with anyone near your rank score, be it rookie, semi-pro, pro, veteran or expert.

v1lla21

Finally got it on pc. Add me for maximum sexy time. Rookie ranks are so easy I feel bad for those kids playing :(

I had a game where two kids, who definitely were playing on dummy accounts to destroy newcomers, were talking trash right at the beginning. I destroyed them and they told me they were going to report me for griefing. Lol.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I don't get the network. So speedtest says my ping is fine, I can play other games no problem, download, etc. But Rocket League? 160, 180+, position "correcting", mad lag.

Playstation, maybe it's wireless? God knows, I've been on GHTV like all day and that's been fine but that's streaming video/content. It just seems to be Rocket League I get issues with. So random as well.

ErichWK

I don't get the network. So speedtest says my ping is fine, I can play other games no problem, download, etc. But Rocket League? 160, 180+, position "correcting", mad lag.

Playstation, maybe it's wireless? God knows, I've been on GHTV like all day and that's been fine but that's streaming video/content. It just seems to be Rocket League I get issues with. So random as well.
Are you making sure you only pick servers near your location?

Pepiope

Finally got it on pc. Add me for maximum sexy time. Rookie ranks are so easy I feel bad for those kids playing :(

I had a game where two kids, who definitely were playing on dummy accounts to destroy newcomers, were talking trash right at the beginning. I destroyed them and they told me they were going to report me for griefing. Lol.
We can do some damage on PC!

J. Bravo

I think my mmr us like in the gold 3 range but I'm not good enough to carry my shit random teammates. Although today wasn't as bad. Made steady progress.

What do you guys think of giving possession of the ball to the losers for every time a goal is scored?

Like in real soccer, you start the match with a play, as opposed to the random rush to the center.

Celegus

I guess I'll have to buy a PS4...

Worst car, you can't even customize it. Used it once and never again.

At least it's not Dota where you're stuck with them for 45 minutes...

AcridMeat

Banned
What do you guys think of giving possession of the ball to the losers for every time a goal is scored?

Like in real soccer, you start the match with a play, as opposed to the random rush to the center.
The ratio of people who can aim a center half shot versus the people who can block said shot is so vastly weighted towards the attackers that I wouldn't want this at all.

Plus the beauty of this game is how fast paced it is and how quickly you're back in the action, waiting on set pieces would take a lot away from it imo.

I would however be open to something like various ways the ball can spawn. If it's dropped from a certain height, or shot out of the side like foosball. That would probably be better suited to one of the crazy maps though.

v1lla21

The ratio of people who can aim a center half shot versus the people who can block said shot is so vastly weighted towards the attackers that I wouldn't want this at all.

Plus the beauty of this game is how fast paced it is and how quickly you're back in the action, waiting on set pieces would take a lot away from it imo.

I would however be open to something like various ways the ball can spawn. If it's dropped from a certain height, or shot out of the side like foosball. That would probably be better suited to one of the crazy maps though.
I'm still waiting for our match m8

Well the ball would start in the endzone of the players who were scored on. You could also adjust boost and distance so that the starting play is a slow drive up. I like the fast pace too, but competitively, I like having more control.

Also, today is Monday!

Do you guys think Psyonix will be at PGW? They are revealing #change soooonnn. I'm so excited

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

You're not the only one getting better. Also, as more casual players drop the game and only the dedicated remain, the points average should drop (as points are representative of your position in the spectrum of players).

2 things

1. Yeah they've gotten better as I've gotten better, I've now dropped 170 points since I'm stubborn and am trying to power through the horrific matchmaking.

2. Its almost 100% matchmaking. I'm sorry it sounds pompous, but the people I'm paired with are not at the skill rank the others in the match are including myself. Almost every round has people ball chasing, over pursuing, no rotation, ridiculous aeriel attempts, centering poorly, etc.

The major problem is the parties vs. Solo. It seems the vast majority of higher ranked players are partied up, making it difficult to find somebody either in between or above. Otherwise they're significantly down.

The_Poet

Banned
I've been steadily increasing rank for some time now. 940 ranking in 2v2 (not with a party) atm, but still winning more then I lose.

I've noticed that a big difference between skilled and unskilled players is how they clear the ball. Many times unskilled players will just try to hit the ball as hard as they can vaguely away from their goal without thinking about the position of the opponents or where the ball could land, often leading to good shooting chances for the other team. I know when I get matched with someone who is good because they take care and don't panic their clearances.

I really do think its a big deal because a shitty clearance just keeps you under a lot of pressure but a good one often leads to a counter attack goal.

#RoadTo1k #RoadToPlat.

Bollocks

finally reached silver in 3's, now onto to reclaim silver in 2v2. problem is my buddy sucks and he gets mad when I play 2v2 without him ._.

All I can think of when I see this idea is players so bad that they fail to clear said ball and the other team scores on them again and again and again...

That would be humorous at least.

Lol. Even with my friends, we still sometimes miscommunicate and no one goes for the ball :(

And damn Villa, you are gold rank?

I've been making it a habit to play with a party when playing Standard ranked so that I can FINALLY get out of the hellhole that is Bronze.

You have to win so many consistent matches though. I get like 9 XP per game. But at least I'm steadily climbing with a party.

I have no idea how some of you managed to get out of bronze in Solo. I don't get that playlist at all. Your rank doesn't matter because you can't control your teammates at all, so no matter how good you are, you are still subject to the rest of the team.

Certinty

Haven't caught up on the updates lately. Me and my 2 friends on the PS4 want to play with our other friend on the PC, how can we do this and can we do us 4 vs 4 random people online?

You're kinda asking for it when you go into ranked without a partner, unless it's Solo Standard. Well, that's like, the point of Solo Standard... I think.

Pepiope

You're kinda asking for it when you go into ranked without a partner, unless it's Solo Standard. Well, that's like, the point of Solo Standard... I think.
Well it's not bad play...I had a teammate get pissed at me cause I made an aerial rather than letting him make it, and a majority of the time I get teammates who are pissed I don't play goalie 90% of the match because they don't know how to rotate.

v1lla21

And damn Villa, you are gold rank?
Yup, I'm gold in everything but singles, I think. I go down when I play with friends because I'm mostly fucking around and just messing in chat.

I may be the luckiest guy when it comes to being paired with randoms because I don't really get matched with complete shit-heads. I can play around 10 matches and only have a crappy partner once or twice. I do change my play style to suit who I'm playing with though.

Here's my PC stats so far:
76561198024052798.png

I have a crazy ass climb to make :(
Hey psyonix, can yall give me a hand and just boost me to bronze 3. Lol.

Yup, I'm gold in everything but singles, I think. I go down when I play with friends because I'm mostly fucking around and just messing in chat.

I may be the luckiest guy when it comes to being paired with randoms because I don't really get matched with complete shit-heads. I can play around 10 matches and only have a crappy partner once or twice. I do change my play style to suit who I'm playing with though.

Here's my PC stats so far:
76561198024052798.png

I have a crazy ass climb to make :(
Hey psyonix, can yall give me a hand and just boost me to bronze 3. Lol.

Playing so low ranked on PC is weird right now because I'm trying to play it like higher ranked with rotation and being goalie-counter, but the other team rarely even gets a shot on goal. Then I still worry about leaving an open goal but most of those people couldn't kick a soccer ball into the ocean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom