• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1lla21

Playing so low ranked on PC is weird right now because I'm trying to play it like higher ranked with rotation and being goalie-counter, but the other team rarely even gets a shot on goal. Then I still worry about leaving an open goal but most of those people couldn't kick a soccer ball into the ocean.
Lol right? I just kept going in circles the last two games and I was getting cool shots.

as bad as I felt scoring all those goals, we couldn't lose after acrid told us he'd lose 20 points.

v1lla21

I couldn't do that to Acrid.

When you waiting on Pepi to come in but he never shows up.
afegadmjnvso4qobl0gs.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Lmao. Pretty much yeah.

Anyone know where replays are saved on pc and on ps4?

I don't understand, it was fine until recent updates. I officially dropped into silver 2 again today all the way from gold 2. It's been an extreme climb to even remotely tip the needle. This is not improved competition, it's lack of a teammate. I don't know why I'm being matched with players who are at this level.

You're kinda asking for it when you go into ranked without a partner, unless it's Solo Standard. Well, that's like, the point of Solo Standard... I think.

Wow I disagree. So the game is built for group playing and group playing alone unless you like the 1v1s? There needs to be an update on this. Allow preferences for how long you're willing to wait. The game checks "all skill levels" within 5 seconds or so of starting matchmaking.

Please for the love of god someody in here add me, whiteshirtkyd. i need a doubles partner, I like the game too much to give it up all together, but I can't stand being relegated to playing extremely conservative given my teammates constantly chasing the ball around, wether I'm going for it or not.

Hm? I'm just saying if you don't want to risk loosing your rank because you might get paired with a bad teammate, then go in with a partner. Not sure how that's disagreeable unless I'm missing something.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hm? I'm just saying if you don't want to risk loosing your rank because you might get paired with a bad teammate, then go in with a partner. Not sure how that's disagreeable unless I'm missing something.

You are, not sure you understand what matchmaking is supposed to do.

So stoked for tomorrow.

They even updated the game to mention tomorrow.

Anyobe think this is bigger than just a new map announcement?

Maybe they got that TV Show deal.

Not to get my hopes up, but I hope they've been working on an upgrade patch that adds cool things like upgraded presentation (medals, team colours/club feature, podium for match winners)

Unicorn

So stoked for tomorrow.

They even updated the game to mention tomorrow.

Anyobe think this is bigger than just a new map announcement?

Maybe they got that TV Show deal.

Not to get my hopes up, but I hope they've been working on an upgrade patch that adds cool things like upgraded presentation (medals, team colours/club feature, podium for match winners)

Considering they're going to do a stream on Thursday to explain the new stuff makes it sound like it's more than different maps.

jimflox

Neo Member
finally reached silver in 3's, now onto to reclaim silver in 2v2. problem is my buddy sucks and he gets mad when I play 2v2 without him ._.

I hear you there. One of co-workers, who is also one of our main PS4 group, is absolutely terrible at 2v2. I can play with others who are ok/good, and we'll win 60-75% of our matches, often by blowout or forfeit, but playing with him is just brutal. I'm close to just never playing with him in ranked ever again.

Goes after every loose ball at full boost, doesn't understand rotation/defense, will aggressively go after a ball I'm working, whiffs on clearances etc. So many breakaway goals given up. I'll lose seven in a row, by an average score of 6-2 playing with him. Was down to 150-ish in 2v2 yesterday, but had a nice run of randoms, and a nice run tonight with another co-worker, back up to 275.

Anyone want to add me on PS4, it's jimflox

I wouldn't mind having some PS4 partners who understand the fundamentals, at the very least.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I hear you there. One of co-workers, who is also one of our main PS4 group, is absolutely terrible at 2v2. I can play with others who are ok/good, and we'll win 60-75% of our matches, often by blowout or forfeit, but playing with him is just brutal. I'm close to just never playing with him in ranked ever again.

Goes after every loose ball at full boost, doesn't understand rotation/defense, will aggressively go after a ball I'm working, whiffs on clearances etc. So many breakaway goals given up. I'll lose seven in a row, by an average score of 6-2 playing with him. Was down to 150-ish in 2v2 yesterday, but had a nice run of randoms, and a nice run tonight with another co-worker, back up to 275.

Anyone want to add me on PS4, it's jimflox

I wouldn't mind having some PS4 partners who understand the fundamentals, at the very least.

I'll shoot you a message and we can play a few rounds, or shoot me one- whiteshirtkyd.

Had an awesome night on RL tonight actually. after dropping all the way down over the past week or 2 to 570 from 790, I crawled back up to 700. I don't know how it happened or what I did different, but for the most part, my teammates were manageable. Early on I did have to carry, but towards the 2nd half they were all intense close matches, that we were able to pull out, and for the night ended up going +130. Feels good to get back up there and have some actual matches along the way, rather than watching teammates flail around, smash me out of goal, chase the ball when I'm already moving it, aggressively going all in on every shot despite the D having it lined up, etdc. etc. Again I don't mean to criticize others who are still learning... it's more about getting matched up in ranked games with people of this caliber. I actually think this could be related somewhat to parties having one high rank player, and one lower ranked player, possibly even smurfing.

Starting from unranked 50 on PC is kind of funny. Like, it's not fair at all but we are just plowing through games to go to our appropriate rank. I imagined unranked being full of rookies and semi-pros but I've played a lot of veterans/experts and even a master. They were all pretty bad (master didn't even lead points in a semi-pro team). I wonder if they just played single-player or unranked mostly. Obviously titles don't accurately portray skill, but at unranked level just the amount of time you'd have to put in to hit expert/master would assuredly make you competent enough to beat people a couple of hours in? Just a curiosity I came across.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Starting from unranked 50 on PC is kind of funny. Like, it's not fair at all but we are just plowing through games to go to our appropriate rank. I imagined unranked being full of rookies and semi-pros but I've played a lot of veterans/experts and even a master. They were all pretty bad (master didn't even lead points in a semi-pro team). I wonder if they just played single-player or unranked mostly. Obviously titles don't accurately portray skill, but at unranked level just the amount of time you'd have to put in to hit expert/master would assuredly make you competent enough to beat people a couple of hours in? Just a curiosity I came across.

I always imagine that if people are at master and really haven't shown any sort of actual improvement, it's likely younger kids who just love flying around hitting the ball, at least a good chunk of it. Some people just can't get a handle on the game though. My friend is a beast at CS:GO, which I'm awful at and is one of the hardest games to master. Playing Rocket League with him you would think he's never played a game in his life.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Finally platinumed at the weekend also, I got the 500k trophy so I thought no better time to get the "All cars" and "Win 10 games in a row". So I grinded out 10 wins in a season mode against AI with each car until sweet tooth unlocked.

v1lla21

I've put 5 hours into the pc version already and that's because I only got to play 1 hour last night or it would've been at 8-9. What have you done to me!!!!!

Pepiope

Has anyone beaten the AI 1v4? I've gotten close a couple of times since they don't really go up in the air, but damn it's hard.

Robaperas

I reached my "skill ceiling", I'm just getting crushed in normal games. Every time I play I get Experts all around and I'm always the weakest link, aerials are not my thing.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Has anyone beaten the AI 1v4? I've gotten close a couple of times since they don't really go up in the air, but damn it's hard.

I've gotten a goal or two, but soon after they start rolling me. I think the key is to get one goal up and just play defense.

Ocho

Anyone else suddenly get bad fps on Steam? I was 60+ locked, now it deeps to 40s when playing. Hmm not sure if my drivers got messed up.

What time is the announcement meant to happen?

Also, predictions? Probably new map types right?

I *think* they said 5 PM EST. Though I cant remember if that was the stream time for tomorrow that they have planned.

Maybe they will be on stage for PGW, which starts in an hour.

I reached my "skill ceiling", I'm just getting crushed in normal games. Every time I play I get Experts all around and I'm always the weakest link, aerials are not my thing.

I used to suck at aerials, but the more you do them, the better you get. Its not an easy skill to learn but its invaluable when you go up against people who can. If you wanna practice just do the all star aerials or go into unranked and just practice them without worrying about your rank.

Pepiope

I've gotten a goal or two, but soon after they start rolling me. I think the key is to get one goal up and just play defense.
My closest game was 6-3. If you miss at any point then it's basically a goal for them. It's pretty cool because it forces you to be a bit more consistent and take calculated risks. I just can't beat them yet :(

Dr Prob

Banned
I *think* they said 5 PM EST. Though I cant remember if that was the stream time for tomorrow that they have planned.

The little in-game announcement box/Twitter says they're doing the announcement/tease tomorrow, then the stream on Thursday (at 5 EST, like you said).

In other news, think I have a case of the yips! All of a sudden I can't seem to do even basic things correctly and now it's in my head, making it worse. The yips!

Robaperas

I used to suck at aerials, but the more you do them, the better you get. Its not an easy skill to learn but its invaluable when you go up against people who can. If you wanna practice just do the all star aerials or go into unranked and just practice them without worrying about your rank.

I mostly play unranked but even there is overwhelming, maybe I'll give it a try in a month or so, I played 93 hours in a 2 1/2 weeks span... I guess I have RL fatigue.

The little in-game announcement box/Twitter says they're doing the announcement/tease tomorrow, then the stream on Thursday (at 5 EST, like you said).

In other news, think I have a case of the yips! All of a sudden I can't seem to do even basic things correctly and now it's in my head, making it worse. The yips!

So it's tomorrow? Aww :(

I've put 5 hours into the pc version already and that's because I only got to play 1 hour last night or it would've been at 8-9. What have you done to me!!!!!

The PC version really does feel way better than the PS4 one. Even with my GameCube graphics settings, it's clearly more responsive and a better experience. Flunkie was right. Flunkie was right all along.

This. You have to try them to get better.

My biggest advice is don't get caught up in trying to do the crazy high aerials. What you want is to be able to hit stuff just out of reach of double jump. Doing this will put you ahead of 70% of the other players who can't / won't aerial.

Then work your way up from there in height so you can reach balls in roughly the height of an imaginary goal stacked on top of the actual goal. In this area you can defend any shot and make shots before others waiting on the ground below. The super high aerials by pros / all star training look great but because they are so high, give defenders plenty of time to set up and defend. Anytime I see someone score a goal from way up near the ceiling 90% of the time its because no one bothered to cover the goal. Everyone just freezes and watches the ball. These shots are also very risky as you are out of the play for a long time if you miss.

So start small and work up to medium height. I never thought I could do aerials and by just trying them and not trying to go too high I rarely miss. If I see someone going for a ball out of my comfort zone I just sit back and wait for them to hit it and defend accordingly.

This. You have to try them to get better.

My biggest advice is don't get caught up in trying to do the crazy high aerials. What you want is to be able to hit stuff just out of reach of double jump. Doing this will put you ahead of 70% of the other players who can't / won't aerial.

Then work your way up from there in height so you can reach balls in roughly the height of an imaginary goal stacked on top of the actual goal. In this area you can defend any shot and make shots before others waiting on the ground below. The super high aerials by pros / all star training look great but because they are so high, give defenders plenty of time to set up and defend. Anytime I see someone score a goal from way up near the ceiling 90% of the time its because no one bothered to cover the goal. Everyone just freezes and watches the ball. These shots are also very risky as you are out of the play for a long time if you miss.

So start small and work up to medium height. I never thought I could do aerials and by just trying them and not trying to go too high I rarely miss. If I see someone going for a ball out of my comfort zone I just sit back and wait for them to hit it and defend accordingly.

The thing I'm finding as I practice this is finding what is or isn't a proper aerial situation and whether or not to play the fall or wall bounce.

Plus really great goalies have seriously stuffed some of my solid aerial shots which'll try your ego. :p

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I never said anything about what matchmaking's job is.

You implied by playing doubles solo you're taking a "risk" that your teammates are bad. Matchmaking is meant to find opponents and teammates of equal skill. So no by going in solo there shouldn't be risk I'm going to pull a bronze level player in a gold ranked game. There is always risk of losing or getting less than stellar teammates, nobody ever said there wasnt, however there should be 0 risk outside of a fluke or occasional glitch that you end up with somebody who simply doesn't belong with the rest.

You implied by playing doubles solo you're taking a "risk" that your teammates are bad. Matchmaking is meant to find opponents and teammates of equal skill. So no by going in solo there shouldn't be risk I'm going to pull a bronze level player in a gold ranked game. There is always risk of losing or getting less than stellar teammates, nobody ever said there wasnt, however there should be 0 risk outside of a fluke or occasional glitch that you end up with somebody who simply doesn't belong with the rest.

1st bold - I'm not saying there should be, i'm saying there is, because there is... lol

2nd bold - I was never saying that either.

When I said there is a risk of getting a teammate who's playing bad, I wasn't referring to getting matched up with someone with a rank much lower than you should be getting matched up with.

I've only just started the game last week or so, for me ranked is unplayable.

I just started so my ranking score was 50, out of about 20 matches I've now played in ranked every single one only found a game after matchmaking ignored rankings on other players.

Out of those 20 matches only 5 have been 'normal' matches where my team stuck about and played. The rest had one guy or more on my team quit, leaving me 2v3 or 1v3, or a guy would AFK which is as good as quitting, or in a few cases they guy would actually help the other team, blocking shots, ramming us and scoring own goals (all clearly intentional).

My ranking score is now 4. Fucking 4.

If a teammate leaves you shouldn't lose any ranking points if you lose, and the forfeit vote needs be majority 2/3 instead of needing 3 people vote yes, because a troll isn't gonna vote yes..

Unranked honestly kinda infuriates me. It's often just a flurry of people leaving and joining and leaving and joining. I just play ranked, but I don't care about my rank. My teammate feels otherwise though... We're barely passed silver. Almost all of our sessions will go - One win. one loss, one win, one loss, in progress of being down in the next match "OK this is my last game!" (out of frustration), we win or lose, "ok i'm getting off, I don't want to risk loosing our silver"

I can't win. (Well that's how doubles go at least. My Solo Duel and Solo Standard life is dandy)

Yeah I rarely play unranked anymore because of the pop in and out barrage of bots and people in both teams. No way to get some flow going on. It's fun trying to quickly understand your teammates way of playing in order to better help the team work together as it should. So I stick with ranked for better or worse.

Get 2 measly points out of a match where two people left and then lose 8 of them in the following match because you bumped into a well oiled machine of destruction. That's the RL way of living baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom