• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unranked honestly kinda infuriates me. It's often just a flurry of people leaving and joining and leaving and joining. I just play ranked, but I don't care about my rank. My teammate feels otherwise though... We're barely passed silver. Almost all of our sessions will go - One win. one loss, one win, one loss, in progress of being down in the next match "OK this is my last game!" (out of frustration), we win or lose, "ok i'm getting off, I don't want to risk loosing our silver"

I can't win. (Well that's how doubles go at least. My Solo Duel and Solo Standard life is dandy)

This is actually one of the benefits of unranked. The quitting weeds out the crappy players. Well, most of them -- some refuse to quit -- but hey at least they are trying and if you stick out the match you usually eventually get 1-2 competent replacement players who will stick it out, which makes comebacks a regular thing. I *love* it when other team gets an early lead and gloats but as players get replaced we comeback and kick their asses. It's so satisfying. But usually I just play 90% defense in first 2 minutes to keep score in hand until my team gets settled to avoid even needing the big comeback.

The_Poet

Banned
This is actually one of the benefits of unranked. The quitting weeds out the crappy players. Well, most of them -- some refuse to quit -- but hey at least they are trying and if you stick out the match you usually eventually get 1-2 competent replacement players who will stick it out, which makes comebacks a regular thing. I *love* it when other team gets an early lead and gloats but as players get replaced we comeback and kick their asses. It's so satisfying. But usually I just play 90% defense in first 2 minutes to keep score in hand until my team gets settled to avoid even needing the big comeback.

Alternatively, play ranked which matches you (more often then not) with and against people of similar skill. There's also a 99% chance of them not quitting.

Mutate update looks like great fun, the devs keep on giving.

Quick note, how do you unlock the last car (sweet tooth) & all the items? I've played over 250 games and have much more than 1 win with each car?

Apparently this isn't all for this year: we're getting more news in November for updates dropping before the year is up!

I'm hoping we see an actually different arena announced (since the ice map is just the vanilla map with ice).

By the way, I hope the ice level has some kind of skill involved. It'll be fun to slip and slide so helplessly with friends, but I bet there will be some skill that lets players master the handling.

It isn't evident in the video, but I get the sense that if we make the pucky heavy enough, we can play air hockey, where we dont have to do aerial and just get the puck across the line. Would have been neat if we could "close" sections of the net to make things harder.

Instant demolition sounds hilarious. Wonder if we can eventually even change the scoring method :p

I'd love to be able to tally demolitions, have "lives", all while trying to score the ball.

Hell, they may as well go all out and add weapon pick ups that freeze players, throw oil, and kill players. I actually hope that they go Twisted Metal in that regard.

Regardless, these party modes are going to make local games/GAF games so much more fun.

I really hope that they can eventually make mutators more complex, like giving one team certain parameters that another team or player doesn't have (like one team having more boost while the other team having stronger cars).

Also, what about player mutators! Vehicles that have different stats like being more fragile/suscpetible to demolitions, vehicles that jump higher, vehicles that manage boost better, etc. I'd love that too.

So many possibilities, I am so excited for the future

Alternatively, play ranked which matches you (more often then not) with and against people of similar skill. There's also a 99% chance of them not quitting.

Not true at lower ranks, and is impossible to get higher ranked due to how many leavers or trolls there are currently.

Godcannon

I'm still amazed at how much hyped I get with each Update - DLC and their trailers are still the best.

Rocket League - Mix, Match, and Mutate! Youtube Trailer link.

Likewise brotha.......likewise. So ready.

dis-gon-b-gud.gif

You should party with someone to get out of that hole.

I got out of the hole up to Gold I before I said to hell with it as it was a grind / not fun. There is huge variation in actual skill at all levels. There are quitters at all levels. Spent most of time in ranked trying to overcome my teammates and/or being shorthanded when they quit than the opposition. Different strokes for different folks of course but for me and many other unranked is the superior and more enjoyable mode. Even when in a party prefer unranked as overall the vibe is better with less dicks and assholes ruining what should be a stupid fun 5 minute game.

Allforce

I've been playing this game since the beta and have only done Unranked 3V3 on the retail release. I consider myself better than most players but have no interest in playing Ranked. I think I've played 2 ranked games.

Never really have an issue with quitters, sometimes people bounce but someone usually takes their place. And more often than not I'll get into a group of people who have a good match and immediately hit "Rematch" after and keep it going for 3-4 games.

just had the game lock up on me (PS4) during a ranked match. we were winning. lost a hefty amount of rank points and can't do any match-making for 15 minutes. I realize there's not a hell of a lot they could do with that, but that really sucks. have zero interest in firing the game back up right now

Pepiope

just had the game lock up on me (PS4) during a ranked match. we were winning. lost a hefty amount of rank points and can't do any match-making for 15 minutes. I realize there's not a hell of a lot they could do with that, but that really sucks. have zero interest in firing the game back up right now
It happens sometimes. Just gotta deal with it I guess. DC'd with like 30 seconds left and we were up 1. I lost 20 points one match because of it, but I use that as an opportunity to play unfair mode 1v4.

By the way, I hope the ice level has some kind of skill involved. It'll be fun to slip and slide so helplessly with friends, but I bet there will be some skill that lets players master the handling.

Expectation managing: ice map does not have slippery physics inherently.

We are experimenting with mutators that do things like that, but we found they weren't inherently fun. It's frustrating to be constantly out of control driving. We need to find a fun, fake version of icy physics before we can release a mutator like that.

The Hockey mode is a lot of fun, but it's more about using a different ball type than slippery wheels - at least for this initial release.

mreddie

I wonder if the Puck will be more weighty than the ball and holy crap, small ball mode I can already see being a pain in the ass.

AcridMeat

Banned
You could just force everyone on chunkier tires and call it a day in terms of why it isn't as slippery as expected.

I still want it to be more challenging and have some slippage.

We are experimenting with mutators that do things like that, but we found they weren't inherently fun. It's frustrating to be constantly out of control driving. We need to find a fun, fake version of icy physics before we can release a mutator like that.

The Hockey mode is a lot of fun, but it's more about using a different ball type than slippery wheels - at least for this initial release.

To be honest, I am actually happy with that

I feel like it would be very frustrating. It would be fun with parties for a few minutes, but eventually, I want to play the game

I feel it could work if braking and boost went hand in hand. Sort of like braking and turning like skaters do to turn on a dime. And then using boost to accelerate very fast

But that sounds like itd take a lot of work to program.

I think the existing mutators will help a lot.

With the puck, the obvious thing is to put heavy gravity for cars and the puck to reduce aerials, and turn up max speed for the ball.

By the way, I hope you guys can make a map with sharp corners, so that we can get a proper air hockey mode :p

Seeing the puck run up the walls will feel less genuine

We gotta think up some cool GAF customs.

The list of things that flashes past:
Ball bounciness
Ball max speed
Ball size
Ball type
Ball weight
Boost amount
Boost strength
Gravity
Match length
Max score
Pinball
Respawn time
Slo-mo
Time warp

Any ideas? maybe host a small tournament just for the gametype.

The_Poet

Banned
Almost 1k rating 2v2 now, anybody want to partner up?

I feel I need a reliable team-mate to progress now. Solo-queuing isn't cutting it.

EDIT: I'm on PC

Noaloha

I want that rainy park stadium just removed from PS4 rotation. I really dislike playing on it. That, or the devs take a brutal performance pass over all the PS4 stages until each's settings can maintain 30fps. I'd definitely prefer a stable 30 over fancier visuals.

Watch Gibbs' Playing Potatoes series for preview. He is in bronze now and will now jump (before it was boost but no jump) but removed the boost button. It's been an adjustment but he is managing. One pro about no boost is you no longer have to worry about picking up boosts, which really is a mini-game within the game.

Really looking forward to the mutators and playing Rocket Hockey. Gonna be a blast.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Not to be a dick, but seriously what's going on with the matchmaking? Is anything being done about it?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You know what does need fixing? Matches starting before everyone full loads in. I'm tired of messing up kick offs because of the stupid starting lag. Not a huge deal, but it's kind of annoying.

WITHE1982

Watch Gibbs' Playing Potatoes series for preview. He is in bronze now and will now jump (before it was boost but no jump) but removed the boost button. It's been an adjustment but he is managing. One pro about no boost is you no longer have to worry about picking up boosts, which really is a mini-game within the game.

Really looking forward to the mutators and playing Rocket Hockey. Gonna be a blast.

Been watching his videos a lot lately. They're great for picking up little tips to improve you game. However I've yet to come up against any players as bad as the ones he was facing early on. Even without jumping he was scoring 3 goals a game.

Still a very entertaining series though and Gibbs is fantastic at boost management and positional play so there's a lot of little gems to pick up.

I've just hit Silver in standard and the quality of player is definitely rising but the ability to play as a team certainly isn't.

I'm trying to imagine a group of good Rocket Leavue players playing a game type where there's no boost.I want to see this. I want to attempt to play this.

Gibbs playing with boost disabled in ranked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6e9B9FHk_0

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with the matchmaking :/

So... you haven't run into people of 250+ ping constantly or teams being complete landslides on Solo 3v3 or standard 3v3?

You're lucky, then. I gave up on ranked. Not worth the hassle and at least if I get put into an unranked 250+ ping match, I can quickly leave instead of taking a 15 min "ban" (lol) because of it.

Thraktor

Gibbs playing with boost disabled in ranked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6e9B9FHk_0

Looks like an interesting challenge.

Actually, will it be possible to apply different mutators to each team? So, for example, you could have a team of players with no boost versus a team which can't jump? You could even put in a "half-time" where the mutators switch to keep things fair.

On a separate note, how do I get in on the rocketGAF PS4 community? It's getting a little boring playing randoms, and I haven't seen people post details of private matches in here much recently.

Could you elaborate?

It's a crapshoot who you get paired with / against. It can work in your favor (get carried or other team stinks) but more often against you (crippled or other team has way better players). It very rarely feels "just right" where everyone is at or around the skill level, which leads to less blowouts and closer, more competitive games. A game can feel anywhere from 1 vs 5 to 5 vs 1 instead of the elusive 3 vs 3 a lot of us would like to see.

I doubt there's an easy fix as it's really hard to quantify actual skill via win/loss record and/or stats as both variables can be misleading. And it's less of a problem in unranked as not worried about rank points and no penalties for quitting / being left shorthanded.

Game still kicks ass in spite of the less than perfect matchmaking =)

v1lla21

So... you haven't run into people of 250+ ping constantly or teams being complete landslides on Solo 3v3 or standard 3v3?

You're lucky, then. I gave up on ranked. Not worth the hassle and at least if I get put into an unranked 250+ ping match, I can quickly leave instead of taking a 15 min "ban" (lol) because of it.
No because I only have matchmaking set to US West and East.

I don't see how people expect to not get paired with good or bad players. How are you supposed to reach gold 1 or higher if you don't go through the lower ranks especially when you're rather new to the game. These are the players you'll see demolish teams single handedly because they are currently working their way up the ladder.

Same thing with being paired with crappy players. Maybe they hit a stride and went on a lucky winning streak or they got high up because they kept playing with people who they had good chemistry with.

People need to stop caring about what level a player is too. It's just a way of seeing how much time someone plays and really has no say on anyone's skill level. I'm a semi-pro on PC and get paired against veterans and experts and will, majority of the time, beat them.
On a separate note, how do I get in on the rocketGAF PS4 community? It's getting a little boring playing randoms, and I haven't seen people post details of private matches in here much recently.
What's your psn so I can invite/accept you? You can also search for RocketGAF and apply.

I've been addicted to Ranked Solo Standard lately, and I've found going back to unranked Standard to actually be a worse experience. Going up against coordinated groups, wildly varied skill levels and frequent disconnects make for an very uneven experience. The only upside is that you can leave whenever you want without penalty, but that's both a blessing and a curse.

I've clawed my way up from unranked on PC right up to the door of Gold in Solo, and the experience has gotten better the higher I've climbed. Better coordination, better play overall, fewer bad players and fewer uneven teams (until the player count drops below 1000 players at least). Pings are rarely if ever an issue in my experience.

I really need to start grouping up with people more, but the Solo experience has been so good, it's going to be hard to pull myself away from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom