• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErichWK

Hey, CoolCole. The art team and some of the programmers are gonna watch you. Don't mess up. (not pictured like 15 other people to my right)

l_e0fzT1RaDjSK8wMl1PGtfxLZzNKs6xycvHBUV_IvY

Backlogger

For those that play on both PC and PS4 do you find it easier to climb the ranks on the PS4 vs. PC?

I don't think that I play any differently between the two systems so I can't seem to figure out why I just seem "better" when I play on the PS4.

Do a lot of the hardcore PC players not play cross platform or something?

Hockey looks great so far my only complaint would be its hard to see the puck far away as it gets hidden behind cars but probably changing camera angle will help make more visible.

v1lla21

For those that play on both PC and PS4 do you find it easier to climb the ranks on the PS4 vs. PC?

I don't think that I play any differently between the two systems so I can't seem to figure out why I just seem "better" when I play on the PS4.

Can't really comment on ranking up on pc because I'm barely bronze 1, but I would say going up on ps4 should be easier since it's where we get the more casual players.

Hey, can someone invite me to the RocketGaf community? PSN: MC_ENVY

I need to stop playing with randoms lol

I mainly play Doubles, but feel free to add me to your friends list!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No because I only have matchmaking set to US West and East.

I don't see how people expect to not get paired with good or bad players. How are you supposed to reach gold 1 or higher if you don't go through the lower ranks especially when you're rather new to the game. These are the players you'll see demolish teams single handedly because they are currently working their way up the ladder.

Same thing with being paired with crappy players. Maybe they hit a stride and went on a lucky winning streak or they got high up because they kept playing with people who they had good chemistry with.

People need to stop caring about what level a player is too. It's just a way of seeing how much time someone plays and really has no say on anyone's skill level. I'm a semi-pro on PC and get paired against veterans and experts and will, majority of the time, beat them.

What's your psn so I can invite/accept you? You can also search for RocketGAF and apply.

What? Were talking about rank points not their level. You get paired up with bad players because the matchmaking is bad.

Edited not gonna get into that.

Its not that you're getting paired with somebody whose not as good as you, its that you're being paired with people multiple tiers lower. Their is no way to go on a "lucky win streak" to gold and play the way some of these randoms do.

I play the game to be compete but also have fun, its not fun to go out and know the entire round you are guaranteed to lose. Its especially bad if you're teammate doesn't know what a rotation is and you have to spend the entire game super conservative, because this guy is just flying around the map without any thought. The competition is the fun part, and unfortunately with the matchmaking in its current state its difficult to find competitive matches, unfortunately the game borderline requires a permanent teammate or you're screwed. It was never like that before, something definitely changed a few weeks back or maybe even more.

The_Poet

Banned
What? Were talking about rank points not their level. You get paired up with bad players because the matchmaking is bad.

Edited not gonna get into that.

Its not that you're getting paired with somebody whose not as good as you, its that you're being paired with people multiple tiers lower. Their is no way to go on a "lucky win streak" to gold and play the way some of these randoms do.

I play the game to be compete but also have fun, its not fun to go out and know the entire round you are guaranteed to lose. Its especially bad if you're teammate doesn't know what a rotation is and you have to spend the entire game super conservative, because this guy is just flying around the map without any thought. The competition is the fun part, and unfortunately with the matchmaking in its current state its difficult to find competitive matches, unfortunately the game borderline requires a permanent teammate or you're screwed. It was never like that before, something definitely changed a few weeks back or maybe even more.

I see matchmaking complaints in tons of games, generally from bad players who believe they should be higher then they are. I don't understand the complaint about needing a teammate, of course organisation and coordination will be an advantage. Its the same in any game / sport.

Ranking up isn't a given. The more you play, the more accurately you will be placed on the ladder until you work on improving your game.

Flunkie

Banned

No, the hardcore PC players are just better than PS4 players.

Dispatch

For the last two nights I've had horrible rubber-banding. My ping for matches has been in the 400s or worse. Is anyone else having the same issue?

I'm on PS4, and nothing else on my network is struggling to maintain a decent connection.

I see matchmaking complaints in tons of games, generally from bad players who believe they should be higher then they are. I don't understand the complaint about needing a teammate, of course organisation and coordination will be an advantage. Its the same in any game / sport.

Ranking up isn't a given. The more you play, the more accurately you will be placed on the ladder until you work on improving your game.

Matchmaking is a separate issue from ranked. Poor matchmaking can impact rank but take rank out of the equation and you will see that the "bad players complaining" argument actually supports the poor matchmaking:

If the individual player IS truly bad why do their teams keep losing? Because they continually drag down superior teammates? If this is true -- why do they keep getting matched with superior teammates instead of crappy players like them? Or is it because the whole team sucks -- always equally poorly skilled players -- then why do their bad teams keep getting paired against higher skilled teams?

If matchmaking was able to put 6 truly similarly skilled players (good, bad or average) onto 2 teams one would expect each team and player to win roughly half of the games they play. You would expect the games to be fairly close, with only the occasional blowout. But people go through stretches of losing 5-10-15 games in a row, with multiple blowouts. This *shouldn't* happen if everyone was truly playing at a similar skill level.

I say *shouldn't* because as mentioned in an earlier post I think it is really hard to determine actual skill... which is why matchmaking isn't great in most games... which is why a lot of people complain about it. It isn't just because they suck. Because if sucking was the problem they would be matched with other people who suck just as bad and still be winning close to half of the games they play.

Playing more, getting good and grinding to higher ranks does help in that eventually overall player skill improves, but not everyone wants to go through this hoop in order to play competitive games. It would be nice to be able to hop into a random game where skill levels are truly similar so that it's a more enjoyable experience for all players involved.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

OK? Does that mean there's nothing wrong here? No in a 2v2 game that is far more about positioning and patience, rather than aggressively pursuing the ball in circled around the map, it doesn't natter how good you are. If you are in gold tier 1 or 2 your teammates should not be low silver or even bronze. There has to be more to it than that because as of right now its borderline unplayable solo.

atr0cious

I now understand why people can be jerks in this game. Doing ranked on pc and I can't get above 70(i suck I know). Teammates quit as soon as we go down one, end up losing 5 then winning one, before dropping a whole other set. Frustrating cause this game is really fun, but man does it's player base let me down sometimes.

I now understand why people can be jerks in this game. Doing ranked on pc and I can't get above 70(i suck I know). Teammates quit as soon as we go down one, end up losing 5 then winning one, before dropping a whole other set. Frustrating cause this game is really fun, but man does it's player base let me down sometimes.

My current favorites are the ones who can't clear or tackle for shit so I end up goalieing and hafta clear like 7 balls and get Savior but we lose 6-3 and one'll bitch about one of those goals getting thru from a personal flub (they also tend to be the ones who are up my ass ballchasing when I do a lob from the corner instead of taking the pass, too).

Soulflarz

Banned
So, where do we go to nag for a 1v1 mode where goals can't be scored the first 5-10s? Where it's just a wall? Would be interesting to see how it changed 1v1.

atr0cious

My current favorites are the ones who can't clear or tackle for shit so I end up goalieing and hafta clear like 7 balls and get Savior but we lose 6-3 and one'll bitch about one of those goals getting thru from a personal flub (they also tend to be the ones who are up my ass ballchasing when I do a lob from the corner instead of taking the pass, too).
Don't get me wrong, I have just as much trouble sometimes hitting things, but it's the basic things like me saying I got it, then its both us going for the ball leading to easy goals. So them I tell them to take the shot and they just sit there and then it's another easy goal. Or them following me instead of playing the ball, again leaving the goal wide open. Or taking the ball from me when I'm moving it to the goal, to take some dumb contested shot.

amnesiac

So I just made the move from unranked to ranked, and the people are much meaner here haha. They'll throw racist slurs and insults and I'm like... it's just a game dude.

Consumer

I'm upset that virtually everybody on my friends list stopped playing RL altogether. Before, I'd find 5+ people playing and now I'm lucky to find 1.
150+ hours later, RL is definitely my GOTY and one of the best PS4 games ever made IMO.

Anyway, I've been stuck in Silver II for ranked games (solo + doubles). I can't seem to raise my skill level past ~600 so I might've reached my peak skill level. :(

Don't get me wrong, I have just as much trouble sometimes hitting things, but it's the basic things like me saying I got it, then its both us going for the ball leading to easy goals. So them I tell them to take the shot and they just sit there and then it's another easy goal. Or them following me instead of playing the ball, again leaving the goal wide open. Or taking the ball from me when I'm moving it to the goal, to take some dumb contested shot.

Oh no, not you, its just that that tends to be my temptation to lash out (which comes out when they say something). The guy who whined and bitched when a long shot went in the net off a clear of his shot got a real earful from me till he appologized lol.

Pepiope

PSY・S;183650453 said:
I've never touched ranked and probably never will but matchmaking is definitely an issue in unranked playlists. I've jumped into a game with teams of rookies and semi-pros against veterans+ way too many times. Maybe 2-3 times a day.

played 'em like a fiddle
I'd ignore the whole rank thing. I'm an "Expert", and I've been teamed up with a few Semi-Pros who were great teammates.

Ran rp

I'd ignore the whole rank thing. I'm an "Expert", and I've been teamed up with a few Semi-Pros who were great teammates.

Yeah I've played some great semi-pros and pros but rookies almost never come close to scoring. These games seem unfair for them.

Soulflarz

Banned
PSY・S;183652571 said:
Yeah I've played some great semi-pros and pros but rookies almost never come close to scoring. These games seem unfair for them.

*was a rookie who won 17 times in a row, got told to go f myself since I was at least a pro, as I just beat a vet*

That alt account

Also, lately the game has been stuttering/lagging/being slow for me a ton lately. Almost constantly. Usually it does that, but it's only at like, the very beginning of a match, or in very specific matches where there is just a bad connection. For the past two days, it's been like that almost constantly. I can barely play it in this state. I tried turning down the graphical quality just to see if that would help things, but it didn't.

I think the booting issues I was talking about in my other post is completely separate though. My friend isn't having the same lag issues as me, but he just started having the booting issues today, and so have I. He said the game would crash at the menu when he'd try to alt+tab (or shift+tab, whatever it is). My game would close out on me just from clicking my mouse somewhere on the menu. When he sent me invites, I wouldn't see them, and when I would press X on my XBox controller to invite him, the window wouldn't pop up. We got those issues sorted out fairly briefly and we started to play together, but I had to stop because of the lag/stutter issues.

Makeda

Can anyone share some insight into how the points won (or lost) at the end of Ranked match are calculated?

I just played two back to back Ranked Solo games and in one I won a tight 4-3 against a fellow 'veteran' player & got 15 points. I then beat someone else 7-4 (would have been 8 but they quit as the ball was mid flight) & I only got +5 points.

Well and truly miffed at how this is calculated here.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
been a rollercoaster lately but back up in the gold tiers now. Seems like you can manipulate matchmaking as long as you keep cancelling out then back in before the bar extends or it tells you it's checking more ranks.

Rafy

Hey guys, I am looking for someone in the EU to play a match with so I can get the last trophy.
This is going to be my first game I managed to get the Platinum Trophy for.

Any takers? (PS4 version)

Today I learnt this game really needs some kind of placement system. I have been playing on PC but today decided to start up on PS4(not really sure why). On PC I hover between 550 and 650, have been there for a good month or two now.

When I started on PS4 obviously everything is at 50 and it's just...bad. A combination of having completely new players on your own team that can barely hit the ball and then me feeling guilty for absolutely wrecking the same level of players on the other team. It's no fun.

They could even do something like score 80%+ in medium aerial/goalie/whatever training and get put straight into silver 1. Do the same in high(I forget the proper names) and get placed into Silver 2/3/Gold 1 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom