• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rutti

Hey guys, I am looking for someone in the EU to play a match with so I can get the last trophy.
This is going to be my first game I managed to get the Platinum Trophy for.

Any takers? (PS4 version)

My PSN is Rutti90 if you need it. Anybody else who wants to add me is welcome to.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No because I only have matchmaking set to US West and East.

Spoiler:
So do I.
Yet, I continue to get 250 ping matches despite there being 8,000 players in Unranked 3v3 and Unranked 4v4.

It's why I've given up on the online completely and haven't touched the game in a few weeks. There's no point when I'm consistently getting out of region players because Rocket League won't actually prevent people from choosing non-local regions.

SappYoda

I signed up at the rocket league tournament at pgw

They will be streaming here the matches wish me luck guys :D

twitch.tv/playstationplusleaguefr

We are forfan

luffeN

I was talking in the Steam controller thread about a control scheme where a flick on the left stick in either direction will execute a barrel roll while in the air. I think I found the most balanced solution. The config is based on Nigerian Waxcheeks' setup where the right trigger is accelerate + boost (soft/hard pull).

I wanted this setup because there were some situations where I miss a button press and fail a barrel roll, sometimes missing a shot on the goal. With this setup, this should not happen anymore.

There is one "problem": You cannot use the whole range of the left stick to steer. So while you may be used to push the stick all the way to the left to turn, this is now no longer possible. The outer ring binding radius is at about 3/4 of the usual range. Setting the outer ring binding radius one additional notch to the ride will "disable" the barrel rolls for up/right/left/down. Funnily enough, if you push a diagonal direction, the barrel rolls work with the increased value. I don't know why it doesn't work with just left/right etc.

The config is called Barrel Cheeks. I guess the same setup may also be possible with the left touch pad.

EDIT: Well, there is a problem with this setup in the main menu. You would need to use the d-pad to to navigate because otherwise you will only move one field an automatically choose it. Damn, this sucks :(

EDIT 2: Hmmm, well, no, doesn't really work. You have to be really careful not to jump while turning in a hectic situation. Would demand too much adjustment from past gaming experiences.

Fbh

Amy tips on how to start?. (Initial hit).

I've been playing a lot of ranked 1vs1 as of late (can't get past 350 skillpoints lol) and my terrible starts hurt a lot.

4 out of 5 times the ball will either go to my side of the field or it will stay in the middle but I'm left in the air unable to do anything while the other guy is already on the ground and basically gets a free shot.

I generally just go full speed at it and do a double jump forward when I'm close
what am I supposed to do instead?

Stike

Amy tips on how to start?. (Initial hit).

I've been playing a lot of ranked 1vs1 as of late (can't get past 350 skillpoints lol) and my terrible starts hurt a lot.

4 out of 5 times the ball will either go to my side of the field or it will stay in the middle but I'm left in the air unable to do anything while the other guy is already on the ground and basically gets a free shot.

I generally just go full speed at it and do a double jump forward when I'm close
what am I supposed to do instead?

It may be helpful if you flip backwards shortly before hitting the ball instead of forwards. That way, you lessen the risk of flipping/rolling over the ball, catapulting you into the air.

Unicorn

Is it normal to suck at this game lol? I've only been playing for the past day but man, sometimes I get some good shots in and I'm pretty alright at defending but other times...
Yeah, I'm starting to have more off days than days where it clicks. Sometimes my brain just forgets how to play with controls reversing due to ball cam; others, it's second nature.

Thraktor

Spoiler:
So do I.
Yet, I continue to get 250 ping matches despite there being 8,000 players in Unranked 3v3 and Unranked 4v4.

There may be 8000 players in 3v3 and 4v4, but most of them are already in matches. If you round out the match time to 5 mins, and assume that it typically takes 5 seconds to find a match, then out of those 8000 players you should only expect around 130 people to be actively looking for a match at any given point, which isn't all that large a pool to pair with.

Alternatively it's just your internet connection. I get low and stable pings consistently in Rocket League.

Oh no, not you, its just that that tends to be my temptation to lash out (which comes out when they say something). The guy who whined and bitched when a long shot went in the net off a clear of his shot got a real earful from me till he appologized lol.
Yeah I'm tempted to turn off the text chat in this game. Last night I'd say 30-40% of the matches had some jerk(s) on the opposing team. Game is 0-0 with 2 minutes left and we score, they call us "trash" or "F you", etc. Or when they score it's "What a save" 15 times and other shitty custom chats.

Just Pete

Banned
Yeah I'm tempted to turn off the text chat in this game. Last night I'd say 30-40% of the matches had some jerk(s) on the opposing team. Game is 0-0 with 2 minutes left and we score, they call us "trash" or "F you", etc. Or when they score it's "What a save" 15 times and other shitty custom chats.

Sounds like you need thicker skin, its all banter init.

No, that's actually not it. I don't expect everyone to be a good sport, and I get the fun banter, but being called a "F_G" (slang for gay) or the N word for no reason crosses the line I think.

Turn off chat for the other team. You won't miss it. Best case scenario they say "nice goal!" Worst case is what you experienced. Or spamming. It's a distraction that won't help your play or enjoyment of the game... although it IS immensely satisfying beating the waste of life clueless loser douchebags who like to abuse chat :)

Pardon me for asking, but have we had any update regarding cross-platform party for online matches?
After blabbering about the game for a couple of months a friend of mine want to try it out, unfortunately he only have a PC and I only a PS4.

So I took notes of my last 50 clear shots on goal, and all the save attempts during that time too.

By 'clear' shots on goal I mean myself the ball and goal were all perfectly alligned, this is the results.

Shots

Hit ball and missed - 4
Hit ball and scored - 6
Missed ball (it happens...) - 4
Enemy got to it first/blocked it - 7
Teammate hit ball random direction - 12
Teammate bashed me out of way - 17

Save attempts

- Saved goal - 4
- Failed to save goal - 5
- Teammate hit me out way - 11
- Teammate scored own goal in save attempt - 6

I think my team is my worst enemy.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
So I took notes of my last 50 clear shots on goal, and all the save attempts during that time too.

By 'clear' shots on goal I mean myself the ball and goal were all perfectly alligned, this is the results.

Shots

Hit ball and missed - 4
Hit ball and scored - 6
Missed ball (it happens...) - 4
Enemy got to it first/blocked it - 7
Teammate hit ball random direction - 12
Teammate bashed me out of way - 17

Save attempts

- Saved goal - 4
- Failed to save goal - 5
- Teammate hit me out way - 11
- Teammate scored own goal in save attempt - 6

I think my team is my worst enemy.

This can be explained in two ways. Sure, it can be that you have the ball and teammates always running into you. It could also be that you are continually going for the ball even though it makes more sense for your teammate to get it.

Regardless, you will get more wins in team gametypes by hanging back whenever a teammate is near the ball. Cover the back area and look for opportunities. In some ways this requires a better player - you must look at the entire field and make any type of shot (from easy line drives to aerials).

This can be explained in two ways. Sure, it can be that you have the ball and teammates always running into you. It could also be that you are continually going for the ball even though it makes more sense for your teammate to get it.

Regardless, you will get more wins in team gametypes by hanging back whenever a teammate is near the ball. Cover the back area and look for opportunities. In some ways this requires a better player - you must look at the entire field and make any type of shot (from easy line drives to aerials).

When I got a clear alligned shot my teammate coming in from a 90 degree or worse angle does not make sense.

When I got a clear alligned shot my teammate coming in from a 90 degree or worse angle does not make sense.

They are only looking at the ball or physically can't see you coming or see you but don't trust you to hit it or are just one of those people that just want to hit everything :)

It's annoying but part of the game and can be good or bad depending on the outcome of the play. Everyone is going to screw up plays for someone else but so long as they do something productive with the ball it's no harm / no foul for me. And when they don't a "Sorry!" goes a long way.

Stallion Dan's 50 shot attempts (above) points out that 29 times a teammate got in his way but notice the 21 times they didn't only resulted in 6 shots that ultimately scored. We all like to think that we would have scored (perception) but the reality is we have no idea what would have happened next.

They are only looking at the ball or physically can't see you coming or see you but don't trust you to hit it or are just one of those people that just want to hit everything :)

That is one of the issues with pure ball-cam players. Their focus is only the ball, both figuratively and literally, with very little spatial and teammate awareness.

Any tips for progressing past 650? I fluctuate between high 500's and low 600's and have been for about two months. I was unable to play for about a month of that due to internet issues and insane lag but still.

Think my biggest weakness right now is probably aerials. I don't have very good control yet so when I do go for any kind of aerial I am usually pretty light on the boost and thus pretty slow. Usually just spend 5minutes or so in training before playing, maybe I need to take a different approach to improving in this area.

Soulflarz

Banned
Any tips for progressing past 650? I fluctuate between high 500's and low 600's and have been for about two months. I was unable to play for about a month of that due to internet issues and insane lag but still.

Think my biggest weakness right now is probably aerials. I don't have very good control yet so when I do go for any kind of aerial I am usually pretty light on the boost and thus pretty slow. Usually just spend 5minutes or so in training before playing, maybe I need to take a different approach to improving in this area.

Aerial? 5m? Uh, I spent 1.5hr in the pro training for it to get the hang of it after watching like 5m of videos on it for the angle, then spent 20hr in game, you learn the angles to fly and such. But yeah, sit down for a chunk of time and try to learn it, it'll help a lot. Suddenly you can hit the ball from anywhere

Aerial? 5m? Uh, I spent 1.5hr in the pro training for it to get the hang of it after watching like 5m of videos on it for the angle, then spent 20hr in game, you learn the angles to fly and such. But yeah, sit down for a chunk of time and try to learn it, it'll help a lot. Suddenly you can hit the ball from anywhere

Yeah I meant 5m before each session as like a warm up of sorts. Probably would help to spend a lot longer focusing on just one thing at a time. I just love playing too much so whenever I try practice I just keep going for that find match button.

Psyonix did a AMA on Reddit today. Here's some of the highlights. Way more at the link though, obviously.

General Stats/UI:
Match History - Would be nice. Not on the immediate schedule but will make sure it's on our requested community features list.
Stats per Playlist - We are really interested in doing this for Ranked seasons, can't promise it but can say we'd love to do it sooner than later.
Renaming Replays - My understanding is that we want to do this but I don't have a timeline for you, sorry!

Car Differences:
The differences aren't just values we arbitrarily set. Handling is a byproduct of small differences in wheel position, size, etc. It doesn't easily translate into some kind of "rating" to be displayed in the game's UI. The values currently accepted by the community are already oversimplified in terms of turning radius at full boosted speed vs. normal driving, etc.

Car Configurations:
Saving Car Configuration: We are looking into this one as well. It seems like a simple fix on the surface but it requires quite a bit of Design and UI work. We just haven't been able to allocate those resources just yet

On in-game advertisement:
Prior to release, in-game advertising was something we had built into the system and were planning on doing as a way to help support the game if we needed it (particularly to offset the server costs). Ultimately, though, we decided not to go that route and will instead (eventually) use that system to promote our own eSports tournaments (or partner's eSports tournaments), RL merchandise, new DLC, stuff like that.

Report Systen:
Yeah, we are currently looking into a reporting system for toxic players that would essentially pull the text log from the game for Psyonix to monitor.

DeLorean and Trademark Cars:
We approached them. We are big BTTF fans and often talked about how we wished we could have the DeLorean Time Machine in the game way before we came out. Once the game was a hit, we thought maybe it could actually happen and we went after it.

(Turns out folks at NBC Universal were Rocket League fans too, so it made it a lot easier to put together)

As the DeLorean was so well received and being the huge movie nerds that we are, we are definitely open to it. We don't have any trademarked cars in the works at the moment though

DeLorean Boost for All Cars:
It's part of the licensing agreement to not allow you to customize the DeLorean Time Machine beyond its colors.

We were chatting with the NBC Universal folks about the car, the other day, though, and we have the all-clear to allow players to use the Boost on other Battle-Cars. So look for that addition in a future patch (probably 1.10 or 1.11)

Returning SARPBC Maps:
The chance that you'll see at least one of those SARPBC maps return is pretty (re: VERY) high.

Non-traditional Maps:
Absolutely. Our next map will be less traditional than our previous maps, but it won't be a 180-degree turn sort of thing. We don't want to change the maps too drastically too fast, but adding ones that get more and more unusual over time is definitely the plan.

Season Rewards:
You can look forward to exclusive in-game items for your Battle-Cars. And, like our Alpha and Beta items, they will be unique to the season and won't be available again.
Each rank category will have a unique reward (Bronze, Silver, etc...)

PC/PS4 Party System (not happening):
xViper21x is definitely correct in saying it is very difficult and time-consuming to implement this type of feature and even when it is implemented we would need a live operations team to keep it working into the future. It would be rad to add this to Rocket League, but with the studio's current size and workload it's not really feasible. Hope you understand. Our own Corey Davis elaborated on this topic quite well (as pointed out by weathrderp).

Dev Team Size:
About 8-12 depending on the time frame

Steam Workshop and Car customization:
We are interested in looking into Steam Workshop support, we just haven't decided if or how we would support it. As far as customization we have some awesome new stuff I've seen the art team working on, so yes more of that in the future. As far as car wraps, I've never heard that come up around the office, I'll add it to the community wish list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom