• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing people need to realize about ranks and points is that you shouldn't expect to just keep going up, even if you're getting better.

The game is still relatively new, so everyone is still improving. If your skill level stays constant, your ranking should go down. In order to just stand still, you have to be improving at the same rate as the average.

In order to move up, you need to not just improve, but improve faster than the average of everyone else. It's not an RPG level grind, so stop treating it like one

Can't argue with that at all. The more frustrating part is when you are matchmaked with people who tell you they're gold 3 (900) and you're barely gold 1 (700) and you're playing as good as they are.

I suppose that's the players perceived skills though, not necessarily their actual skill.

Gears

Just got the game the other night, and boy what fun it is. I'll be playing this and call of duty for the weekend :D psn:infamousscott14

ErichWK

CTK5MMiUAAAMN-G.jpg:large

J. Bravo

Can't argue with that at all. The more frustrating part is when you are matchmaked with people who tell you they're gold 3 (900) and you're barely gold 1 (700) and you're playing as good as they are.

I suppose that's the players perceived skills though, not necessarily their actual skill.
I'm silver 2 and play at least equal to my gold 1-3 teammates/opponents. It's when I get matched with the op opponents or bad teammates or I have a few bad games in a row and that's what is holding me back imo. lack of consistency, with myself and the other players.

Basically I need to get gud

hao chi

Just had an amazing night playing this game. Ended up partying with some teammates I got randomly in a match, and we were ruining people in ranked, then the party leader left and me and the other guy tore it up in 2v2. We lost once, but we beat the same team two other times, and the last game we came back from being down 2-0 to win 3-2 in regulation.

Also got the The Streak trophy during our last 3v3 match. I thought I'd probably never get that just playing online.

Only thing that annoys me about this game is how when there's a late join, the game destroys the bot and puts the replacement player in too soon. There's that period of time where you can see a player that just joined not moving because they aren't in control of their car yet, then after that there's a period of time where they're useless because the connection is choppy and most of the players are invisible. I don't know how easy that is to fix (wait longer to destroy the bot and put the player in control so the game can sync up better? I dunno), but if this could be improved at all that'd be fantastic.

I also wouldn't mind some sort of warning telling you that a bot is about to be destroyed to make room for a replacement player. It really sucks when a bot is playing defense and is about to make a save and then out of nowhere detonates.

I also wouldn't mind some sort of warning telling you that a bot is about to be destroyed to make room for a replacement player. It really sucks when a bot is playing defense and is about to make a save and then out of nowhere detonates.

Like you can load the game then jump in whenever by pressing a button?

I'm never ever ever ranking up in solo 3. My preseason rank was just way lower than where I think I am now, so it's zero help every single game. I'm the top goals/saves/scorer in probably 90% of the matches I lose, and I lose a lot. No rotation, no aerial centers, everyone following me into the corner so nobody centered. Goalies at kickoff taking off to grab the midfield full boost. Midfield. People quitting when 1 goal down or not losing at all but they're mad at how people play. Just lose, lose, lose. It sucks but I'm just powering through until I get buried. Venting.

On a lighter note: I was going through some old saved clips from launch period and that was fun. I went through and checked out clips from basically same period each following month and can almost pinpoint when I stopped double jumping or waiting all the time to hit higher balls. Apparently these were 2 of my first "highlights". Just look at that ball ripe for the aerial and everyone just waits for it. I have no idea why I saved the 2nd clip, it's just complete fuckery on my part. 100% no ball cam, that awful no look shot celebration, no flip boosting, slamming into teammates, etc. That camera is insanely claustrophobic too. It's cool seeing how far you come over the months. If anyone has clips saved from when you first started, I'd recommend checking them out. It's pretty fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZeO9UmJPOo

hao chi

Like you can load the game then jump in whenever by pressing a button?

Something like that could work. Admittedly I'm mostly just mentioning a problem and hoping the dev team can figure something out, because I realize fixing game issues usually isn't as easy as they may seem.

What is with the assholes who run to a boost globe the moment a match starts, even they they nearest to kick-off they do it, giving the enemy team a nice easy shot.

Look at this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp9G2GeKNhg

Good thing the other team guffed the shot.

The Superwayne guy was right to go for the boost. There's no reason to him to go for the kick off from that position. Your other teammate certainly fucked up, but not him.

When two players start the kickoff in the corners, one of them should either tell the other to take the shot or that they got it, so one person can get a boost. Every now and then the ball will go straight to the corner where you're grabbing the boost, then you can boost into the ball and get a goal if you hit it at the right angle.

This happens kind of quick but on the replay you can see the goalie take off for mid-field boost. Kind of panicked when I saw the open goal and everything went bad (though I would have had the save if they guy upfront took a different route, he probably spawned in late so I wasn't really bothered by him). Then the EXACT same thing happened next kickoff. Me and the other guy were up front, same guy in goal went for the same boost and we gave up another goal instantly off a wall bounce.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU-k_yx8jVs

since i don´t really have any spectacular plays, i figured to post a couple that made me chuckle at least...

At this point I'd just start calling that one of your trademark moves!

Dr Prob

Banned
I'm never ever ever ranking up in solo 3. My preseason rank was just way lower than where I think I am now, so it's zero help every single game. I'm the top goals/saves/scorer in probably 90% of the matches I lose, and I lose a lot. No rotation, no aerial centers, everyone following me into the corner so nobody centered. Goalies at kickoff taking off to grab the midfield full boost. Midfield. People quitting when 1 goal down or not losing at all but they're mad at how people play. Just lose, lose, lose. It sucks but I'm just powering through until I get buried. Venting.

Hey, I actually played against you last night/this morning in ranked (on my top secret alt account). We both played like shit!

J. Bravo

I figured out that to be successful in solo 3s you have to play ultra defensively and only take shots if you are certain you will get there first or win the 50/50 ball. Then head back. I'm not saying sit in goal, but don't get caught in no man's land. I got up to the mid 500s pretty fast this way, and now my teammates are good enough more often than not.

Hey, I actually played against you last night/this morning in ranked (on my top secret alt account). We both played like shit!

At a certain point I went on tilt and instead of just putting it aside I decided to be bang my head against the wall until I broke through. Spoiler: the wall won.

I figured out that to be successful in solo 3s you have to play ultra defensively and only take shots if you are certain you will get there first or win the 50/50 ball. Then head back. I'm not saying sit in goal, but don't get caught in no man's land. I got up to the mid 500s pretty fast this way, and now my teammates are good enough more often than not.

That's true. It's also why most of the videos I post are long aerials because I'm way back there already. I'm seeing opportunities missed thinking "if only I was up there" only to get caught in no man's land since cycling is a secondary concern when teammates see you behind them under the assumption you're going to just stay there forever. I'm not perfect by any means but I feel trapped solely in that defensive role when I feel better equipped to be a midfielder. Then it becomes this negative snowball effect and away I go.

SappYoda

In ranked matchmaking should we just play players from our leagues?

Because then being in a league kind of loses its meaning. F.E what's the point of being bronze 1 if you get matches with players from silver or gold.

What a difference a night makes. Played with 4 straight great teams. Total legit rotation, communication, beautiful centers. Nobody called me the n-word or similar. I didn't literally publicly blame my cat for missing a save to lose the game. I finally got out of my slump to the point where even my bullshit shots were going in. Full speed dribbling too. I decided to stop while I was ahead and happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnOISXtwZ5g

Brashnir

I would argue that you'll have more fun with this game if you don't care about rankings.

Agree. I fit into that mold, and I have had an absolute blast with the game. On a side note, I just built a new PC, and playing this at a solid 120FPS instead of the inconsistent PS4 framerate is the best.

rafaelr

Very helpful for someone like me who has been looking to develop his aerial skills a bit more.

same here. but watch out, after practicing backwards for a while, i completeley screwed up trying normal aerials for a couple of matches (i guess there´s only space for one input scheme at a time in my head) :)

rafaelr

Patch 1.08 is out:
edit: beaten (close one!)
THE HEADLINES

"Mutator Mashup" has been added to Unranked Playlist menu
Custom Mutator settings are available in Exhibition and Private Match
Titles can now be swapped or disabled in the Garage
Improved turn radius on Venom, Paladin, Merc, Scarab, and Backfire
Spectator input is now required when skipping replays in Private Match
Weather Effects can now be toggled on/off
Added 13 new Video Game Antennas including: Fallout, Oddworld, Driveclub(PS4), and Unreal Tournament
Added 7 new Community Flags
Complete list below...

NEW CONTENT

Antennas
Dave’s Bread
Game Awards - Statue
Reddit Snoo
Added "Community Flags"
Day[9]TV
Game Awards - Logo
PC Gamer
PS Nation
Reddit
RL Garage
Something Awful
Added "Video Games"
(PS4) Driveclub
Fallout - Vault Boy
Oddworld - Abe
Oddworld - Glukkon
Oddworld - Necrum
Oddworld - Rupture Farms
Unreal Frag Center
Unreal Tournament
Unreal Tournament (Classic)
Unreal Tournament - Blue
Unreal Tournament - Flak Shell
Unreal Tournament - Red
Unreal Tournament 2004

NEW FEATURES

Mutators
Mutators have officially arrived; featuring a suite of alternative presets and settings that add depth, variety, and crazy rocket-powered fun to custom games.
"Mutator Mashup" has been added to the Online playlist menu. This playlist allows users to face off in a 3v3 online playlist that cycles randomly through the following mutator presets:
Beach Ball - A huge, slow, lightweight ball with a lot of bounce
Cubic - Cube shaped ball and recharging boost
Moonball - Low gravity action with a whole lot of boost
Pinball - The ball is small, light, fast and bouncy… and a lot to handle
Time Warp - Slow down the action as you get close to the ball
"Mutator Settings" menu has been added to the Create Match screen in Exhibition and Private Match. This menu allows users to users to alter their Exhibition/Private Match with the following presets and options:
Presets
Beach Ball - A huge, slow, lightweight ball with a lot of bounce
Cubic - Cube shaped ball and recharging boost
Demolition - Demolish opponents on contact in a high gravity matchup
Moonball - Low gravity action with a whole lot of boost
Pinball - The ball is small, light, fast and bouncy… and a lot to handle
Time Warp - Slow down the action as you get close to the ball
Custom Options
Match Length - 5, 10, 20 Minutes, and Unlimited
Max Score - Unlimited, 1 Goal, 3 Goals, 5 Goals
Game Speed - Default, Slo-Mo, Time Warp
Ball Max Speed - Default, Slow, Fast, Super Fast
Ball Type - Default, Cube
Ball Weight - Default, Light, Heavy, Super Light
Ball Size- Default, Small, Large, Gigantic
Ball Bounciness- Default, Low, High, Super High
Boost Amount - Default, Unlimited, Recharge (Slow), Recharge (Fast), No Boost
Boost Strength - 1x, 1.5x, 2x, 10x
Gravity - Default, Low, High, Super High
Demolish - Default, Disabled, Friendly Fire, On Contact, On Contact (FF)
Respawn Time - 3 Seconds, 2 Seconds, 1 Second

CHANGES AND UPDATES

Gameplay
The turn radius on Venom, Paladin, Merc, Scarab, and Backfire has been improved
"Mutator Mashup" now appears in the Unranked Playlists
"Mutator Settings" menu now appears in Exhibition and Private Match
UI/ UX
User can now select from all available titles or disable them completely in the "Titles" tab to Garage menu
Users can now toggle Weather Effects on/off from the "Video" tab in the Options menu
Control menu now uses digits: 1, 2, 3, 4 instead of the words: one, two, three, four for keybindings
Spectators must now select "Skip Replay" in private matches in order to skip replays
Misc.
(PC) Users can now see other steam users they recently played with by selecting View -> Players in Steam

BUG FIXES

General
(PS4) Fixed a rare issue which would not allow users to unlock Sweet Tooth
Fixed an issue in which vehicle remnants would remain on the field after destructions
Fixed an issue with boost pads not always being collectible immediately after kickoff reset
Disable crossplay option will now function properly
Ranked
Ranked match winners will correctly get full RP for wins even if an opponent leaves the game
Leaving a 1v1 match will no longer apply the maximum RP penalty, only the normal amount for a loss
Leaving a 2v2 or 3v3 match will now only apply the maximum RP penalty to the first player who quits the match
UI/ UX
(PC) Improved controller detection when plugging in after boot
(PC) Improved Steam Avatar handling in game
Fixed issues with disappearing player nameplates

Salsa

mutators are cool

however I dont see myself playing around with them much since I just think theyll screw up the physics im used to to play good and all that

dave is ok

aztek is ok
That madness over Fallout extends to other titles as well. Rocket League is adding a Vault Boy antenna decoration with this week's update. It's free, so there's nothing holding you back from using it to deck out your DeLorean.

Guess Destructoid doesn't use the DeLorean.

Nabs

I hope we eventually get more options. I'd like to move the score/timer down to the bottom of the screen.

GeeTeeCee

I don't know why, but Time Warp mode makes the lag spikes and rubber banding even more noticeable.

Edit: actually the Euro servers seem pretty poor all around at the moment.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lol, the mutators are just ridiculous. Most of them are a bit of silly fun, but the only one I think actually creates some good gameplay is the moonball one. Really fun, and a good way to practice your aerials. I want a playlist of just that, don't really want to have to sit through all the others to get to it. But I guess that's what private games are for.

Lol, the mutators are just ridiculous. Most of them are a bit of silly fun, but the only one I think actually creates some good gameplay is the moonball one. Really fun, and a good way to practice your aerials. I want a playlist of just that, don't really want to have to sit through all the others to get to it. But I guess that's what private games are for.

Or just leave.

Id like to vote on a preset before a match begins.

Time Warp is just blah.

I tried super bouncy mode in private, with instant demolitions, and no goal reset (so when you score, the ball respawns, but the cars dont reset).

It's madness.

Really, at this point, I am hoping for some variation maps that change the game a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom