• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, Wasteland, I need you.

hqdefault.jpg

Turns out it's already kinda there? Konami Code makes a new version show up in game.

Eater Egg

rafaelr

i really appreciate that psyonix added an option to disable weather effects on ps4.
dunno if/how much it helps framerate, but the ps4 fan spins up a lot less now (it was pretty much on rocket level all the time before).

Skyzard

Banned
So pleased they released mutators for the game, seems like a decent amount of options too, something I was hoping since release.
Will finally pick up the DLC extras.

I kinda liked using 4k with the small UI, but whatever.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So I just bought the game on Steam, played a few games, and registered on the Steam GAF list. What now? Anyone playing?

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
hey im looking for a partner. im fed up with randoms. i'm not a superstar, but i consider myself good plus i know how to play the freaking game and understand field position.

ps4

PM me

Dmonzy

I like some of the modifiers, dislike others.

Pinball, moonball, and even time warp I find fun but beach ball and cubic I can't stand.

Timewarp borderlines on causing a headache/nausea. Beach ball will almost always go into OT. The other ones are great fun though.

I wish they'd get rid of timewarp. I'll bail on every game of that.

Putosaure

Time warp is fun but the matches feel like they last like ten minutes because of the timer slowing down too.

Beach ball is atrocious, I'm so relieved when someone score a goal, teammate or not.

Consumer

That looked like a forgivable mistake.

It's not just about making mistakes; I expect mistakes in Silver. It's more about the inherent lack of communication in Solo 3v3.

Had we been 3 friends in a chat party instead, that save fail in the GIF wouldn't have happened. And most people disregard the text commands, too. I always say "I got it" when I'm closest at kickoff, yet the other guy usually goes for it as well which often leads to dangerous kickoffs.

It's an uphill battle, that's for sure. It's probably easier in gold/platinum when everybody's more competent at communicating & rotations.

If I was one of your teammates I would be blaming you. Not for the own goal but for flying into the corner when 2 teammates were already there. You have to stay back in that situation unless you're 100% certain you can get to the ball first -- and even then if you do it's still a huge gamble as all 3 of you are in the same spot and the ball could bounce off anything and head the other way. It's a high risk / low reward play and if you are playing solo 3's you really need to be cautious and disciplined about when to move up (teammate behind you or other team all have backs turned).

FWIW I still make the same mistake but have cut way down and when I am disciplined am usually rewarded for it. You just have to resist temptation and stay back because odds are you won't get to the ball or it will be deflect off the the 5 other cars already there. If you just stayed back you would have had a shot on their clear vs other team getting a breakaway.

Consumer

If I was one of your teammates I would be blaming you. Not for the own goal but for flying into the corner when 2 teammates were already there. You have to stay back in that situation unless you're 100% certain you can get to the ball first -- and even then if you do it's still a huge gamble as all 3 of you are in the same spot and the ball could bounce off anything and head the other way. It's a high risk / low reward play and if you are playing solo 3's you really need to be cautious and disciplined about when to move up (teammate behind you or other team all have backs turned).

FWIW I still make the same mistake but have cut way down and when I am disciplined am usually rewarded for it. You just have to resist temptation and stay back because odds are you won't get to the ball or it will be deflect off the the 5 other cars already there. If you just stayed back you would have had a shot on their clear vs other team getting a breakaway.

Why are you assuming that I was the one defending our side and then rushed into the enemy's side with the other 2 teammates?

I'm disciplined enough to understand rotations. My error lies in the fact that I trusted a teammate to defend while I moved up (with another teammate). Obviously some people just wanna chase the ball & be part of the action, so naturally our 3rd teammate ended up on the opposing end with us.

I just find it strange that nobody's even remotely sympathetic, instead pointing fingers at me. Am I supposed to be that guy that sets up camp in net the whole entire match, so my other teammates can go offense? No, that's not how the game works.

Juicy Bob

Why are you assuming that I was the one defending our side and then rushed into the enemy's side with the other 2 teammates?

I'm disciplined enough to understand rotations. My error lies in the fact that I trusted a teammate to defend while I moved up (with another teammate). Obviously some people just wanna chase the ball & be part of the action, so naturally our 3rd teammate ended up on the opposing end with us.

I just find it strange that nobody's even remotely sympathetic, instead pointing fingers at me. Am I supposed to be that guy that sets up camp in net the whole entire match, so my other teammates can go offense? No, that's not how the game works.
Just remember - is only game. You don't heff to be mad.

Because in the video your two teammates are already in the corner with two cars from the other team (4 cars total) and then you appear trying to hit the ball. You were the last man back. Now maybe your teammates both got there a split second before you but in this game a split second can be all the difference. If it was me on that replay even if a teammate moved up when they shouldn't have I would have blamed myself for jumping into the fray instead of waiting when I saw two teammates in front of me.

I didn't say you were a shitty player / don't understand rotations and believe me I sympathize with you. Teammates often suck but this is precisely why you need to be extra cautious whenever you go for the ball. This doesn't mean you have to sit in goal or at midfield. It just means waiting a few car lengths back instead of going for the ball.

You can't control what shitty teammates do. You can only control what you do and I have found that even when my teammates screw up I made a mistake too or there was something I could have done better on the play.

Babalu.

Yes. Yes you are. You are playing solo. You need to be on defense most of the time or else that happens. Not in the goal but in a position to defend. Get a static team or learn how to play solo ball where you need to be super conservative on offense.

Something I've been wondering for a long time, why can I sometimes flip while flying and sometimes not? Is there some time limit?
And is the car really supposed to stop when i drive up the wall sometimes?

Give me a shout if you wanna play (EU), 2v2 or 3v3, i'm at rank ~800. (your rank doesnt matter to me though)

Lazulic

Something I've been wondering for a long time, why can I sometimes flip while flying and sometimes not? Is there some time limit?

Give me a shout if you wanna play (EU), 2v2 or 3v3, i'm at rank ~800. (your rank doesnt matter to me though)

2 seconds to flip, after that its a no go

2 seconds to flip, after that its a no go

I've found this design aspect very odd, even during the beta. Does anyone really believe the 1.7s deadline really enhances the game in any way? As I see it, it just makes aerials more restrictive, and reduces the potential for some very cool aerial goals.

I think in a way it enhances the amount of commitment you need to make to an aerial, as it prevents you using the flip to make late, mid-air adjustments, but I don't think that would be a big deal either way, as you still have to be pretty on point with the aerial to get your car in range for a flip, and unless the flip hits where you intended it to, very little is liable to come from the aerial, anyway.

I swear there is also a bug where sometimes the 2nd flip doesn't register even if it's within the 1.5 or 1.7 (whatever it is) second time limit. Usually on a side flip but every 6-7 games there will be a double jump under time limit that doesn't register. It could be a controller issue vs a bug just throwing out there that it doesn't always work for me.

I've found this design aspect very odd, even during the beta. Does anyone really believe the 1.7s deadline really enhances the game in any way? As I see it, it just makes aerials more restrictive, and reduces the potential for some very cool aerial goals.

I think in a way it enhances the amount of commitment you need to make to an aerial, as it prevents you using the flip to make late, mid-air adjustments, but I don't think that would be a big deal either way, as you still have to be pretty on point with the aerial to get your car in range for a flip, and unless the flip hits where you intended it to, very little is liable to come from the aerial, anyway.

This is an excellent point. Why is there a time limit? I can understand limiting the number of double jumps so cars can't keep jumping higher and higher. I think it's to make long aerials harder as a double jumps gives you extra power and its easier to flip into the ball to re-direct it vs having to turn car AND use air roll to line things up AND boost for extra power. But I don't think if they got rid of the time limit it would break the game or anything. It would just make for cooler aerials as you pointed out.

No time limit / unlimited double-jumps would certainly be interesting future mutators to put into the game (and my guess is they eventuallyy will).

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yeah, I've never really understood that either. It limits what you can do with really long jumps/aerials, and I don't get why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom