• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Consumer

I watched the video but didn't really see any features that Wasteland irregular. What about it is different from the standard maps?

Wider, different boost layout, and a gradient rise along the wall.

Yup. And although some may argue Wasteland's layout is similar enough to current arenas, Psyonix also mentioned the subsequent slippery slope that'd occur if they did add Wasteland into ranked. After that, where do you draw the line? With enough minor changes to each subsequently released arena, eventually we're gonna have crazy SARPBC-like arenas that stray way too far from anything remotely resembling a proper RL arena.

I prefer they keep irregular maps unranked because if they start considering them for competition it will affect the design process and we probably won't get the crazy designs that would be fun. Rocket League is a sports game and I can't think of any where the court is changed up. It's not an FPS game.

That's another good point I didn't really consider. Advocates of crazy SARPBC-like arenas could be disappointed if Psyonix keep the upcoming arenas similar enough to the traditional arena layout as to keep them included in ranked games, since it'd mean they're obviously not crazy enough to be excluded from ranked play.

Soulflarz

Banned
There was a discussion between Psyonix and fans today (on Reddit), debating about irregular maps like Wasteland being included in ranked games. They said if they do add it to ranked, it won't be until several days after launch.

Link to discussion. One point I really liked was someone stating there's 3 main groups of ranked players and how each group is likely to feel:

1. Lower skilled players (bronzish) -- in favor of irregular ranked maps since they're not very competitive at this stage; regardless of which arena they use, they're still gonna suck and their primary goal is still above all to have fun.
2. Mid-skilled players (silver/gold) -- against irregular ranked maps since they're just starting to develop their skills and how to use the map layout effectively (e.g. passes, terrain, wall dimensions, boost locations). These players can use ball cam and maintain a good sense of where they are respective to their surroundings; irregular maps add a huge gameplay dynamic as you're now essentially starting over, learning the map's fundamental properties all over again. They argue it'd detract from the current competitive balance brought from traditionally-shaped maps.
3. Top players (platinum) -- in favor of irregular ranked maps since they've essentially mastered the basic maps to the point where the game gets somewhat repetitive/boring. These views have been expressed by Gibbs & Kronovi, and probably others.

As a silver player just starting to git gud, I'd hate if irregular maps were forced into ranked. There should be a "include irregular arenas" checkbox so that low & high skill players can get the variety they seek while us mid-tiers can continue to develop our skills in a consistent competitive environment. Forcing irregular maps into ranked would alter the game's skill curve & fundamental gameplay so radically, that Psyonix may as well add in mutators to ranked as well. Here's hoping they can find a way to make everyone happy.

Yeah but one issue with this
Silver/Gold doesn't mean mid tier anymore. You can be really good and not above 600.

That applied back when people played a ton, yes, but seeing how dead it is, I sometimes play trash people at 500, other times I'm playing people doing reverse aerials and laughing to myself about how theyre playing me.

Consumer

Yeah but one issue with this
Silver/Gold doesn't mean mid tier anymore. You can be really good and not above 600.

That applied back when people played a ton, yes, but seeing how dead it is, I sometimes play trash people at 500, other times I'm playing people doing reverse aerials and laughing to myself about how theyre playing me.

It's just a general rule; assuming a normal distribution of players' ranks, the majority (mid-tier) should be against irregular arenas while the extremes should be opposed. Sure there's gonna be some exceptions here and there, but the overarching idea still stands.

Also, keep in mind ranked matchmaking isn't always very good due to RL's relatively low user base, so your experiences may be skewed. I frequently ask my opponents their skill level, and in some cases they've been ~300 rank points above/below me; this may also be the case for you.

Soulflarz

Banned
Also, keep in mind ranked matchmaking isn't always very good due to RL's relatively low user base, so your experiences may be skewed. I frequently ask my opponents their skill level, and in some cases they've been ~300 rank points above/below me; this may also be the case for you.

Yeah, post reset, the ranks have been very[/] weird. Especially in duel. Asked a guy his rank, 400. Was doing half map aerials off the crossbar into a second hit on the goal, montage style.

I dunno, feels like with the lower playerbase, you should add like 300 to get a decent idea compared to their old ranking numbers?

Clydefrog

I got some friends together and we experimented with the mutators. Initially, I kept it small. "10x boost strength fun". So we did that. We missed all of our aerials by miles. "LOL" followed by "I need more boost!!"

Okay, that was pretty wild. But we ran out of boost rather rapidly; there are like a dozen more mutator options!? "Guys, hold on. I'm making the ball giganto." "hehehe, okay."

WTF. The ball is almost as big as the goal... and we're still missing our aerials by miles. "Okay, okay, let's leave this game. I'll see what other things I can do."

8ZSkBHD.png

Oh, my, God. This could be a game changer. No more worrying about collecting boost. This changes everything.

GOALIES!

HOLD! HOOOOLD!

AYkdnk9.jpg

Five minutes pass while we play a very crazy game. Game over; 2-1 or some shit like that.

"Hey, I can turn on low gravity."

"Okay."

"... Dude, there are like FOUR gravity options."

"WHAT?!"

7stC1FZ.jpg

"HIT IT!"

p2LBn5l.jpg

OHMYGODTHISISCRAZY.

apAee7G.gif
7bmBOyd.gif
UHg1yD5.gif

Everyone needs to play these settings:

NilwKff.png

GRYFFINDOR WINS

Aerial-only "Top-Gun Mode" was so fun. Make the ground water or lava or whatever.

On top of always having bad teammates, I just had two games where in the first one person quit with 3 minutes left 2-0, in the last same thing and both quit. The points I lost in those games? 11 and 8. How the fuck does anyone ever get into gold?

hao chi

I play on PS4, and I don't know exactly when this started (maybe the last update?), but it feels like once a match for five or so seconds the game randomly becomes a slideshow. And I don't mean in the '30 fps is a fucking slideshow' sense, but literally probably around 5 fps. It's very annoying when it happens. Anybody else experience this?

I got some friends together and we experimented with the mutators. Initially, I kept it small. "10x boost strength fun". So we did that. We missed all of our aerials by miles. "LOL" followed by "I need more boost!!"

Okay, that was pretty wild. But we ran out of boost rather rapidly; there are like a dozen more mutator options!? "Guys, hold on. I'm making the ball giganto." "hehehe, okay."

WTF. The ball is almost as big as the goal... and we're still missing our aerials by miles. "Okay, okay, let's leave this game. I'll see what other things I can do."

8ZSkBHD.png

Oh, my, God. This could be a game changer. No more worrying about collecting boost. This changes everything.

GOALIES!

HOLD! HOOOOLD!

AYkdnk9.jpg

Five minutes pass while we play a very crazy game. Game over; 2-1 or some shit like that.

"Hey, I can turn on low gravity."

"Okay."

"... Dude, there are like FOUR gravity options."

"WHAT?!"

7stC1FZ.jpg

"HIT IT!"

p2LBn5l.jpg

OHMYGODTHISISCRAZY.

apAee7G.gif
7bmBOyd.gif
UHg1yD5.gif

Everyone needs to play these settings:

NilwKff.png

GRYFFINDOR WINS

Aerial-only "Top-Gun Mode" was so fun. Make the ground water or lava or whatever.

Everyone said that was the most fun they've had playing any game in years. I actually cried laughing so hard during the first few matches. Plank's corkscrew goal was the stuff of legend. Friendly fire first hits, baby stuck to the ceiling, sweaty feet.. it was glorious.

The_Poet

Banned
Just got queued with M1k3Rules for 4 games in a row in 2v2's (2 games as teammate 2 games as opponent)

The dude is fucking ridiculous, quicker to every ball, always hits clean and seems to never run out of boost.

I even got a little compliment from him; "your a really good teamplayer, and have a good understanding of the game :)"

I think I've peaked BibleThump

J. Bravo

Just got queued with M1k3Rules for 4 games in a row in 2v2's (2 games as teammate 2 games as opponent)

The dude is fucking ridiculous, quicker to every ball, always hits clean and seems to never run out of boost.

I even got a little compliment from him; "your a really good teamplayer, and have a good understanding of the game :)"

I think I've peaked BibleThump
Damn. Yeah there's a reason he's the number 1 player in doubles. I'd almost say he's number 1 in eu. Paschy is contending for that tho.

That's pretty cool he said you're a good team player though. He's one of the best team players lol. What are you ranked? ,

The_Poet

Banned
Damn. Yeah there's a reason he's the number 1 player in doubles. I'd almost say he's number 1 in eu. Paschy is contending for that tho.

That's pretty cool he said you're a good team player though. He's one of the best team players lol. What are you ranked? ,

I hover around 960 atm, I was only getting +/-1 for those games lol. Must not have been many people online

And me and my teammate can barely make it past silver.

Well whatever, maybe we'd be higher if he wasn't so scared of ranking down to the point that we barely even play doubles anymore -_-

Nelo Ice

Banned
So just got this game super cheap since I had to use my expiring GMG credit. Anything I should know as a beginner?. I'm going in like completely blind aside from seeing a highlight here or there. I just completed the tutorials and didn't know much about the game otherwise.

The_Poet

Banned
So just got this game super cheap since I had to use my expiring GMG credit. Anything I should know as a beginner?. I'm going in like completely blind aside from seeing a highlight here or there. I just completed the tutorials and didn't know much about the game otherwise.

Try not to clear the ball by hitting it sideways, usually gives your opponent a clear shot

Go through all the aerial tutorials over and over until you got them down

Space yourself out from teammates, try not to go for the same ball

Keep playing, you'll pickup game awareness and notice play patterns develop soon enough

Nelo Ice

Banned
Try not to clear the ball by hitting it sideways, usually gives your opponent a clear shot

Go through all the aerial tutorials over and over until you got them down

Space yourself out from teammates, try not to go for the same ball

Keep playing, you'll pickup game awareness and notice play patterns develop soon enough

Thanks for the tips. Yeah the aerial tutorials are a bit tough to get the hang of. It took me awhile to figure out how to rocket boost correctly. Then I tried the aerial tutorial and was like fuck I can barely jump and boost up and now I can't hit the flying ball into the goal correctly lol.

Drencrom

We still have people working on Nosgoth. But we are very committed to rocket league and making it amazing.

I just want some crazy and fun arenas like SARPBC

I don't care if they are ranked (never play ranked anyway), just let us players that like fun and don't always play competitive have some cool and different arenas.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah the aerial tutorials are a bit tough to get the hang of. It took me awhile to figure out how to rocket boost correctly. Then I tried the aerial tutorial and was like fuck I can barely jump and boost up and now I can't hit the flying ball into the goal correctly lol.
Try playing offline with bots and go after every ball in the air. Aerials take a ton of practice.

Another tip on clearing: don't clear the ball along the ground. Pop it up high if you can. If you just front-flip/dodge into a ball that's on the ground with opponents coming at you, they'll just pop it right back over you at your goal.

This also applies to centers and shots when your opponents are near their own goal. If you hit centers along the wall and corner, make sure they're not along the ground. Too easy for your opponents to clear. For shots, if your opponent is in goal don't hit it along the ground if you are further away. They'll just counter with a long shot over you. Instead, hit it higher. It's okay if it hits the wall above the goal. Makes for juicy rebounds that drop in the box as long as you haven't hit it too hard.

hao chi

Quickly turn there ball cam off then back on when driving towards your own net, and especially in front of your goal, so you can check for teammates and avoid running into them.

If you're hanging back (such as at midfield) while your teammates are in the offensive zone, keep in mind that if you decide to rush in to try to score a goal, your net will be undefended if the opponent is able to quickly clear there ball. That's not too say you should never go in, but try to weigh the risk versus reward.

Also, please don't be one of those people that chases the ball around all over the place. This comes with practice, but learning how to space or from your teammates to your advantage if extremely valuable.

Also, if there's a ball on the ground that you're boosting into to get a shot on net, jump right before you hit the ball so it doesn't fit upwards into the crossbar.

Can't wait for the new arena! Mutators were fun for a little bit but looking forward to a change of pace that won't screw up my timing when returning to a normal game.

Imo this opens the door for more "theme" arenas without the traditional rocket league arenas.

I want a Star Wars themed arena next.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Try playing offline with bots and go after every ball in the air. Aerials take a ton of practice.

Another tip on clearing: don't clear the ball along the ground. Pop it up high if you can. If you just front-flip/dodge into a ball that's on the ground with opponents coming at you, they'll just pop it right back over you at your goal.

This also applies to centers and shots when your opponents are near their own goal. If you hit centers along the wall and corner, make sure they're not along the ground. Too easy for your opponents to clear. For shots, if your opponent is in goal don't hit it along the ground if you are further away. They'll just counter with a long shot over you. Instead, hit it higher. It's okay if it hits the wall above the goal. Makes for juicy rebounds that drop in the box as long as you haven't hit it too hard.

Quickly turn there ball cam off then back on when driving towards your own net, and especially in front of your goal, so you can check for teammates and avoid running into them.

If you're hanging back (such as at midfield) while your teammates are in the offensive zone, keep in mind that if you decide to rush in to try to score a goal, your net will be undefended if the opponent is able to quickly clear there ball. That's not too say you should never go in, but try to weigh the risk versus reward.

Also, please don't be one of those people that chases the ball around all over the place. This comes with practice, but learning how to space or from your teammates to your advantage if extremely valuable.

Also, if there's a ball on the ground that you're boosting into to get a shot on net, jump right before you hit the ball so it doesn't fit upwards into the crossbar.

Thanks for the tips! Now I need to find time to play this more often since there's so many other things that distract me from being productive haha.

Unicorn

Only 4 points from 600 on team standard ranked.

This is stressful.
I dropped back to bronze 2. Having ball hungry teammates makes scoring hard as I'm constantly trying to do defense.

Playing with Potatoes makes it looks so effortless to make it out of bronze. I'm going to blame the playerbase or population of West coast servers. Sometimes I just have to not play ranked because I just keep getting matched with the same players, so it'll often be the same unwinnable odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom