• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepiope

I don't usually complain about partners but I just had a guy for 5 straight games who just didn't try. Rank points drop fast with ransoms :(.

Bollocks

Just bought the game on Steam after playing ~1500 games on PS4.
Felt sorry for the guys that got me in ranked the first time :D But after 2 games I got matched with Veterans so it wasn't that much of a blowout any more.

Surprisingly I play with the PS4 controller and it feels exactly the same, also it plays slightly better due to better framerate, no stutter on explosions.

AcridMeat

Banned
Looking forward to the Portal items, especially more goo trails.

Decided to take a look at stats after 267 hours.
3EF2F2663A5BC35432695E5994E16E04AE314A17
Majority of the time I play 3v3, I know people love doubles for ranked. I still prefer the more team focused nature of 3v3, with opportunity for outplays, deflection set ups, etc.

It's going to take forever to hit level 50 man.

Pepiope

Looking forward to the Portal items, especially more goo trails.

Decided to take a look at stats after 267 hours.

Majority of the time I play 3v3, I know people love doubles for ranked. I still prefer the more team focused nature of 3v3, with opportunity for outplays, deflection set ups, etc.

It's going to take forever to hit level 50 man.
I just hit level 50 around 270~ hours.

I'm starting to agree with liking 3s better, it's teaching me how to be a better passer. Haha

Ah, I thought maybe you were on PS4 but assumed I was on PC. I actually have it on PC (courtesy of the Steam controller), but haven't tried it because I'm sure my laptop with the integrated graphics won't perform near as decent as my PS4. I'm planning to get a new desktop in the spring, but that feels so far away. Maybe I should look at that guide on playing RL on a potato. :p

Playing Standard solo is such a different experience than playing Solo Standard. I've had so many great games and competent teammates playing standard by myself and getting teamed up with other randoms against full squads. Teammates are doing aerials, rotating on defense, passing in the air, and winning the vast majority of the matches. I went back to Solo Standard to try it out and what a complete mess those games were.

Linius

Finally closing in on Lv. 30. Played about 1/3 the amount of matches of Acrid. So I suppose I'm closing in on 100 hours of gameplay. Still really enjoying this game. Probably gonna be my goty. Admitting I didn't play The Witcher, Bloodborne etc. Though they are sitting on my shelf
JzKGOjM.png

So I went back to try Solo Standard and, of course, had the worst teammates possible.
I aerial assist a guy who puts the slightest touch on the ball so it's crawling at the net and going to die, other teammate puts it in, so the first guy gets really angry.
I score off kickoff, up 2-0.
Now they spend the next minute not moving and just arguing over text about the "stolen goal". I proceed to give up 2 goals playing 3v1 because I'm going for balls assuming they're also playing, leaving the net wide open. So it's tied 2-2.
I put in a save-to-goal to make it 3-2, they're still arguing.
They finally decide to start playing again and the angry guy accidentally own goals, 3-3.
Now the other guy aerial clears the ball right infront of our net and they score, 3-4. (angry guy gets angrier even though he literally just own goal'd)
With 9 seconds left I hit a cool 3 quarter field aerial goal, 4-4. As time expires I hit basically the exact same shot but it lands 2 feet short, OT.
Overtime starts, the ball comes around the corner at our goal and both my teammates run into each other and pop the ball infront of the goal, 4-5. We lose.

It's like, come on. We literally lost because the one guy was flipping out the entire match over 1 "stolen goal". I was playing fantastic and it all goes to waste because Solo Standard is complete shit.

Bollocks

True, the kind of people you get matchmaked with is amazing.
Seems like just because you are a halfway decent player you're obliged to carry the whole team.
Playing solo in Standard 3v3(my team is a sqad), I stay in goal because they don't know anything about defense they just blindly chase the ball.
Opponent clears, high lob to our side, I leave the goal to put it back, teammates drive past me, successfully cleared, since my teammates just drove by me I'm in a better position go for it and attack.
Their goalie clears - long range goal because noone bothered to stay back.
every time

Linius

Yeah, goal keeping is really a pain in the ass with randoms. I feel obligated to stay in the back most of the time.

I also do hate people who steal goals. When it's obvious the ball is rolling in and no opponent is close enough to get it just let it roll in. But nope, some players just take every chance they have to grab a goal.

It's wonderful when you get matched up with decent players though.

Pepiope

Yeah, goal keeping is really a pain in the ass with randoms. I feel obligated to stay in the back most of the time.

I also do hate people who steal goals. When it's obvious the ball is rolling in and no opponent is close enough to get it just let it roll in. But nope, some players just take every chance they have to grab a goal.

That doesn't bother me as much. I won't do it to someone else because I know people care about MVPs and shit like that, but the win is what's most important, so if you can get the ball in goal faster than it already is, go for it.

There are factors though. It ultimately depends on how the match is going, who's winning, and how much time is left.

The_Poet

Banned
My usual friends that I play with are starting to get tired of the game now, which means that I'm playing less and less and when I do play I'm slightly out of practice so I'm dropping rating :(

J. Bravo

I steal every goal I can. I make it look cool tho. I'm part of the problem. ¡Sorry!

AcridMeat

Banned
I play regular 3v3s solo and I've been getting great competitive matches consistently. The majority of the time it's either a tied game that goes into OT or 1 goal difference.

I wish people were into just playing regular 3v3s, I don't play 3s with anybody anymore :(

J-Skee

My friend bought a PS4 recently. First game he purchased for it was Rocket League. We just tore shit up only for like 2 hours. I can't believe I'm considering this game as my GOTY.

I love this game on PS4. I have a decent PC that will max out Rocket League, is it worth double dipping and getting it on PC? Is it that much better?

*makes mundane shot*

nice shot!

*mundane shot*

nice shot!

*mundane shot*

nice shot!

*mundane save*

what a save!

*Opponent makes a mundane shot*

I either have to say nice shot back because they've said it to me

or I just not give into their shit and say nothing.

Either way it uses my brainpower.

Nete

In the spanish version, the "nice shot!" emote is translated as it was "nice goal!". Imagine my confusion when people used it on non-goals shots, especially on those spam moments or when were miraculously saved.

Until I discovered how it really was in the original (and switched to the english version), I used to think there were even more assholes out than there actually are.
If that's possible :p

Bollocks

I love this game on PS4. I have a decent PC that will max out Rocket League, is it worth double dipping and getting it on PC? Is it that much better?

oh yes, double dipped because of the steam sale.
for one it plays exactly the same with the DS4 and explosions don't cause stutter anymore.
also if you join game in progress there's no rubberbanding, you just spawn and are ready to go.

Just got this game on PS4 last night. Took about 30 minutes to learn the game and then played a bunch of online matches. Feels so dang good to score. Rank 6 or 7 now!

edit: I also like how forward-thinking Psyonix seems to be. Maybe that's not the best word for it. They just seem to cover all of their bases with every type of gamer in mind. The game has had a ton of support since launch, with no end in sight. The title screen has scrolling links to the reddit community and all of their social media pages. There is a youtube link to a trailer for upcoming DLC. The game supports cross-play with PC. It supports splitscreen and bots. Tons of unique customization. There is a headphone mode. etc etc etc It's just polished as hell and full of features.

Now that it's out, which dlc do you like better: this one or the last one? I'm trying to decide which to buy. I know it's just personal preference, but I need help.

bjaelke

Update rolling out!!

So much content.
Added “Chaos Run” DLC Pack, including…
(DLC) Exclusive “Grog” and “Ripper” Battle-Cars
(DLC) Six Decals for each new vehicle
(DLC) Two new Paint Types: “Camo,” and “Sun-Damaged”
(DLC) Two new Wheels: “Grog” and “Ripper”
(DLC) Two new Rocket Trails: “Nuts & Bolts” and “Sandstorm”
(DLC) Three new Toppers: “Boombox, Cow Skull,” and “Mohawk,”
(DLC) Three new Antenna Toppers: “Bomb Pole, Radioactive,” and “Retro Ball – Wasteland”
Added “Wasteland” Arena
Added three new Portal themed Rocket Trails
Added six new Portal themed Video Game Antennas
(PS4) Improved overall performance for PS4 users
Improved rendering performance on grass in all stadiums

Bollocks

What button config do you use for air roll?
I use default settings and as such I don't use it at all but all the pro players seem to boost and roll at the same time.

How can I play the new map? Is it balanced for ranked?

Don't know yet as just played first match in Wasteland via exhibition but I freaking love this map. It's liking playing Rocket League on a beach. The sloped sides are fun and the tracks left in the sand are awesome. Fantastic new addition.

p.s. Bots are even more clueless on this map (due to sloped sides)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom