• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazulic

damn, i sounded like a full-of-himself dick there. just frustrated in how the grind goes. get 2 points for a win, and lose 13 if you get the wrong matchup making all those wins worthless. can get you a little peeved lol.

beating platinum ranks is it's only reward.

AcridMeat

Banned
damn, i sounded like a full-of-himself dick there. just frustrated in how the grind goes. get 2 points for a win, and lose 13 if you get the wrong matchup making all those wins worthless. can get you a little peeved lol.

beating platinum ranks is it's only reward.
You just described exactly why I just play 3v3 normals. I've gone over it already though.
PSY・S;187623894 said:
i don't think this map exists
Haha, I have played it once in about 25 matches now. :(

Pepiope

You just described exactly why I just play 3v3 normals. I've gone over it already though.

Haha, I have played it once in about 25 matches now. :(
The plat though :(

I'm at 1281 and it's like 100 points away.

It sucks once you're this high, but the competition is fun. At every level the demo pisses people off haha.

I've jumped up somewhere around 130-140 ranked points since moving to Standard instead of Solo Standard when playing bymyself. I'm rarely ever team up with a duo, so it's still just 2 other random people almost always against a team, and it's still just win after win. On the rare loss it's either in OT or crazy close finish. Teammates are just way better. When I dip my toe back into Solo it's a complete shitshow. I recommend anybody struggling playing by themselves make the switch to Standard and don't worry about going up against a team. It's more fun beating them anyways.

bjaelke

I just lost a 3v1 (double dc before kickoff) because one of my teammates decided to play it "fair" and join the other side. He then proceeded to score 3 goals and save/block 2 shots all while being immune to demolitions. Absolutely disgusting.

I've jumped up somewhere around 130-140 ranked points since moving to Standard instead of Solo Standard when playing bymyself. I'm rarely ever team up with a duo, so it's still just 2 other random people almost always against a team, and it's still just win after win. On the rare loss it's either in OT or crazy close finish. Teammates are just way better. When I dip my toe back into Solo it's a complete shitshow. I recommend anybody struggling playing by themselves make the switch to Standard and don't worry about going up against a team. It's more fun beating them anyways.

I will probably give this a shot. I gave up on ranked a ways back and enjoy playing unranked 90% of the time but every now and then get that itch. It's funny as thinking back I was able to move up way easier in Standard vs Solo Standard once that came along.

I will probably give this a shot. I gave up on ranked a ways back and enjoy playing unranked 90% of the time but every now and then get that itch. It's funny as thinking back I was able to move up way easier in Standard vs Solo Standard once that came along.

At first I really thought it was a coincidence, that maybe I just got lucky with teammates for a while, but everytime I go back it's just as good. I can setup aerial centers and teammates at worst go for them and miss them, at best kill them for goals. No longer am I getting yelled at by teammates who wait on the ground only for the defender to aerial over them then blame me for passing "too high". There's been quality rotation so I can play both offense and defense. Not every center is one of those low around the bowl that get cleared out with ease. I've already hit dozens of aerial goals this past 3-4 days because of great centers.
(and I'm not particularly great at aerials)

I mean, it could all go terrible and this is just a rash of good luck, but I've really been enjoying playing Ranked again.

jotun?

I suspect that they give a matchmaking advantage to solo players versus parties. E.g. if a party has average rating of 700 they would get matched against solo players averaging maybe 800. Can't say for sure, but I've heard of matchmaking systems doing that (league of legends), and it does feel like when I'm playing 2s with a friend that our biggest threats tend to come from solo players

Oreoleo

Down 3-1 with 15 seconds left.

Scored 1, 2, 3 goals, ended up winning 4-3 without even going to overtime.

No bullshittery, just the right combination of skill and luck.

Never forfeit, anything is possible. Reach for you dreams!

Down 3-1 with 15 seconds left.

Scored 1, 2, 3 goals, ended up winning 4-3 without even going to overtime.

No bullshittery, just the right combination of skill and luck.

Never forfeit, anything is possible. Reach for you dreams!

They are the best. I had one earlier where we were down 2-0 with 24 seconds against a team of "What a save!"ers. Then we scored 3 goals in a row before OT and they just immediately left. I played against them again next match and they told me to stfu and die. Always feels nice (beat them again). Sometimes you just need a little push to get you motivated.

At first I really thought it was a coincidence, that maybe I just got lucky with teammates for a while, but everytime I go back it's just as good. I can setup aerial centers and teammates at worst go for them and miss them, at best kill them for goals. No longer am I getting yelled at by teammates who wait on the ground only for the defender to aerial over them then blame me for passing "too high". There's been quality rotation so I can play both offense and defense. Not every center is one of those low around the bowl that get cleared out with ease. I've already hit dozens of aerial goals this past 3-4 days because of great centers.
(and I'm not particularly great at aerials)

I mean, it could all go terrible and this is just a rash of good luck, but I've really been enjoying playing Ranked again.

Good start for me. Played 6 and went 5-1 with the 1 loss in OT. All games were competitive with decent skill/attitude on display. Small sample but encouraging.

If this holds up my best guess would be it's a numbers game + filtering of a certain type of players. There are likely way less solo players playing standard vs solo (as duh that's what the playlist is there for) which means you are eliminating a significant percentage of potentially bad teammates. And then of those who decide to play standard vs solo perhaps there's a higher percentage of good teammates due to these players:

1) not being afraid of playing teams = they are confident in their skills / game

2) actually caring about playing well vs all those players in solo who seemingly play game after game without giving a fuck (otherwise why bother switching?)

3) aren't snarky bastards who berate their teammates the second someone screws up (again why bother switching?)

All just a theory. Like you said could just be luck / placebo but it's something to keep an eye on. What will suck is if it is REAL everyone will start playing standard instead of solo and the advantage will be gone... but then it will be time to switch back to playing solo :)

KanameYuuki

As much as I love this game, there has always been something that sours my experience with it... Psyonix... where is the musical note antenna, adding the Accelerato boost was just like pouring salt into a wound : (

We are also missing a rainbow, I hope one of the dlcs is like a cutesy themed one.

Good start for me. Played 6 and went 5-1 with the 1 loss in OT. All games were competitive with decent skill/attitude on display. Small sample but encouraging.

If this holds up my best guess would be it's a numbers game + filtering of a certain type of players. There are likely way less solo players playing standard vs solo (as duh that's what the playlist is there for) which means you are eliminating a significant percentage of potentially bad teammates. And then of those who decide to play standard vs solo perhaps there's a higher percentage of good teammates due to these players:

1) not being afraid of playing teams = they are confident in their skills / game

2) actually caring about playing well vs all those players in solo who seemingly play game after game without giving a fuck (otherwise why bother switching?)

3) aren't snarky bastards who berate their teammates the second someone screws up (again why bother switching?)

All just a theory. Like you said could just be luck / placebo but it's something to keep an eye on. What will suck is if it is REAL everyone will start playing standard instead of solo and the advantage will be gone... but then it will be time to switch back to playing solo :)

Yeah, I was talking about it with friends and came to the vague conclusion of people in Standard are there with a team mindset in place. Also going up against a full team as 3 randoms kind of galvanizes you into camaraderie in a way facing 3 other random people usually doesn't. Again, like you said, it's mostly theories but I'll definitely take it and hope it continues.

I just lost a 3v1 (double dc before kickoff) because one of my teammates decided to play it "fair" and join the other side. He then proceeded to score 3 goals and save/block 2 shots all while being immune to demolitions. Absolutely disgusting.

I've done that.

Multiple times, 2 people on the other team end up quitting mid match and I'll help the 1 guy out.

I always catch the opposing team back up, but I always end up going back to my own team in the last moments because I'd rather rank up

Ran rp

I've done that.

Multiple times, 2 people on the other team end up quitting mid match and I'll help the 1 guy out.

I always catch the opposing team back up, but I always end up going back to my own team in the last moments because I'd rather rank up

This is extremely annoying. Go easy on the other team if you want but unless you're playing with a team of friends who don't care then don't start playing for the other team.

I like it when people do it for me so I do it for other people. I just want a fun match. 3v1 isn't fun on either side.

Join "WastelandMutator" with no password for mutator matches on Wasteland. Me and my friend are in the lobby rn playing pinball.

Edit: Ok now it's only me while my friend goes to eat

Edit 2: Wow I had a few good 3v3 sessions going but there was this troll in the lobby who ran everyone out. They need a ban from server option.

KanameYuuki

I found cube ball type to be just completely dumb and annoying at first but it has grown on me, the unpredictability of it and the teamwork it requires makes it so accomplishing when you score a goal with it. Gigantic ball with low gravity it's just so stupid fun haha I keep laughing the whole match, the only one I seriously hate it's timewarp, it is so disorienting, it even game me a really bad headache.

Still no new stadium matches while playing online : (

That sucks. It's been popping up for me a fair amount of times.

I've always wondered what the formula is, i.e. when matchmaking, does it keep track of what maps you haven't played in a while or is it just down to luck of the draw of whatever map randomly comes up for the match you get put into?

KanameYuuki

It would be so cool it they add crossplay for all 3 platforms, Psyonix would be like the uniter of worlds, but I know it won't ever happen.

Babalu.

question. my brother has a xbox one and i play on steam. if this game comes out on xbox one will i be able to play with him in a group?

can PS4 people party with steam people for ranked?

KanameYuuki

question. my brother has a xbox one and i play on steam. if this game comes out on xbox one will i be able to play with him in a group?

can PS4 people party with steam people for ranked?

That's a hard question because of MS dumb cross play policy so who really knows if there will be xbox one + pc at all, now as far as how it is working on ps4 you can only set up private lobbies while playing crossplay, no group matchmaking as of this moment.

bjaelke

I've done that.

Yeah, that's usually how it goes, but this traitor took the joke too far.

Dr Prob

Banned
INDIE GAME OF THE YEAR MOTHERFUCKERS

Missed the game awards extravaganza, but scrolling through the results it looks like they won best sports game too? That's awesome, because it really is in terms of feeling like you're playing a sport as opposed to playing a video game that resembles a sports broadcast. That probably made no sense, but it's late and I'm not going to wrestle with it.

Congratulations & good shit.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus I just picked this game up a week ago. GOODBYE MARRIAGE

it's the tits. THE TITS I SAY.

I'm garbage and I don't even care because it makes me feel like a fucking hero when I luck it in from half way.

Finally started playing this again after a 2 month hiatus.

Holy crap. Used to think myself pretty good, but I went about 1-7 in my online matches. My timing has gone to shit.

Still, I had so much fun. Feels good to be back.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just saw the news that the Xbox version won't have crossplay which is a shame.

Last night I was dreaming of a new map that was 2v2v2 with xbox, ps4 and PC against each other.

But how could that like, statistically be? I never played Standard alone because I don't want to get matched up against a fully coordinated team without one myself. I'd think having everyone go in alone would reduce the risk of playing a one sided match where you're getting stomped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom