• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

Finally made it to veteran rank. Even though it doesn't mean much, it still feels like achieving something :p

Really digging the Wasteland map by the way. And the new cars as well. Think I'll stick to Ripper for a while. Went from Paladin to Delorean to Ripper now. I don't switch cars that often.

J. Bravo

My friend thinks I'm good enough to sit and watch him play and then give him advice after the game. Basically rocket league consulting lmao.

Oreoleo

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with some people?

Playing ranked solo 3's, my team ends up winning 1-0 in overtime after someone on the other team accidentally centers the ball and I dunk it in from mid field. Guy on the other team proceeds to BLOW UP saying it was a lucky shot in spite of everyone, including his own team mates, trying to explain how it was not luck that a completely straight shot managed to find the goal.

So, of course, I get matched up in the next game with SuperSaltyBro who is still SuperSalty at me for some reason. I score a goal in the first ~20 seconds and hope he will see that being on my team might actually be a good thing. Instead, he announces to everyone he's going to throw and spends half the match trying to score on our own goal. Of course, he misses like 3 times in a row and I keep booting it down field from goal. He gives up trying to throw, but still insists on calling me out for every slight miss-play for the rest of the game (like a scored goal where he whiffed clearing it right in front of the goal. But because I was behind him in goal of course it's my fault). Naturally, we end up losing 3-1.

The previous game that went 1-0 was the best, most even game I had played so far today, even before we won. A 0-0 overtime is awesome! But he couldn't just be happy it was an even game and instead has to be a huge fucking baby and drag it out through the entire next game and now I had to stop playing because he got me completely on tilt. Mission accomplished you fucking asshole.

Unicorn

Finally made it to veteran rank. Even though it doesn't mean much, it still feels like achieving something :p

Really digging the Wasteland map by the way. And the new cars as well. Think I'll stick to Ripper for a while. Went from Paladin to Delorean to Ripper now. I don't switch cars that often.
I'm so close to 40. About halfway through 38 I felt I finally levelled up and got consistently better. Just need a few more actual skill level ups before I feel I have really gotten to know the game. Almost 200 hours played.

Yeah, but how is your MMR calculated? From how you've been doing lately, presumably? So I still don't get how this guy was playing with us. He was BAD. Player pool size issue, I suppose. That's gonna be fun for XBO players.

There is some info on that in that Reddit thread as well but much more nebulous and this is a whole other issue as obviously whatever formula they come up with is going to rate some people higher than they should be and vice-versa. So an imperfect MMR formula + imperfect matchmaking = a roll of the dice in terms of your teammates.

XBO players will have a blast for the first month or so as everyone will suck at the start (unless they have been playing on PC or PS4 prior to). I sometimes miss that honeymoon period but still love the game. Just need to remind myself every now and then that it's just game and not let a string of terrible teammates sour me on it.

Linius

I'm so close to 40. About halfway through 38 I felt I finally levelled up and got consistently better. Just need a few more actual skill level ups before I feel I have really gotten to know the game. Almost 200 hours played.

I'm little over 700 games now. But I don't have the illusion I get much better anymore. Maybe I can improve my aerial play some what. But I'm just not skilled enough to get much better at this point. But I'm enjoying my self plenty.

Unicorn

I'm little over 700 games now. But I don't have the illusion I get much better anymore. Maybe I can improve my aerial play some what. But I'm just not skilled enough to get much better at this point. But I'm enjoying my self plenty.

I just checked my matches played, since I forgot it tracked data like that.

1227 with 50.9% win

I was expecting like half that in matches played.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Playing ranked solo 3's, my team ends up winning 1-0 in overtime after someone on the other team accidentally centers the ball and I dunk it in from mid field. Guy on the other team proceeds to BLOW UP saying it was a lucky shot in spite of everyone, including his own team mates, trying to explain how it was not luck that a completely straight shot managed to find the goal.

So, of course, I get matched up in the next game with SuperSaltyBro who is still SuperSalty at me for some reason. I score a goal in the first ~20 seconds and hope he will see that being on my team might actually be a good thing. Instead, he announces to everyone he's going to throw and spends half the match trying to score on our own goal. Of course, he misses like 3 times in a row and I keep booting it down field from goal. He gives up trying to throw, but still insists on calling me out for every slight miss-play for the rest of the game (like a scored goal where he whiffed clearing it right in front of the goal. But because I was behind him in goal of course it's my fault). Naturally, we end up losing 3-1.

The previous game that went 1-0 was the best, most even game I had played so far today, even before we won. A 0-0 overtime is awesome! But he couldn't just be happy it was an even game and instead has to be a huge fucking baby and drag it out through the entire next game and now I had to stop playing because he got me completely on tilt. Mission accomplished you fucking asshole.

A shocking amount of people playing this game (and others, I guess) are completely socially inept, mentally unstable or just plain assholes.

Ran rp

Was going through the PS4 settings and noticed that there was mouse support, so I got excited and headed into Rocket League and... nothing :|

I thought I would at least be able to remap the stick directions but there aren't any options for that. It seems only a handful of games actually offer kbm support.

Man I do love this game but so many players are either completely brain dead or awful people.

I'm. Not great at it but I get so pissed at people who are just completely useless. A "Veteran" that just sits there for a solid 15 seconds after kick off. Annoys me to no end.

Grinchy

Banned
PSY・S;188592332 said:
Was going through the PS4 settings and noticed that there was mouse support, so I got excited and headed into Rocket League and... nothing :|

I thought I would at least be able to remap the stick directions but there aren't any options for that. It seems only a handful of games actually offer kbm support.

Are you saying you want to play RL with a mouse?

Pepiope

Wtf. Let's get yyou solidly in platinum (top 10) this weekend lol
My rank dropped so much man. So close at 1347 and then boom. :(

I have to win like 8.5 out of 10 matches to gain any points.

1 loss is like -12, where each win is like 2 points.

One day, but not this weekend haha.

potam

Banned
Anyone else disappointed with how rankings work? MMR seems entirely dependent upon whether or not you have decent teammates or not. Stuck in between Bronze III and Silver I. I'd much rather it be based on personal performance.

For instance, if I win a game with 5 goals, 5 assists, 5 saves, and 5 shots, I get the same as if I won the game with 0 points. Same for losses. If I'm going beast mode with a shit team, or a team where someone quits, I don't think I should fall as much as everyone else.

Anyone else disappointed with how rankings work? MMR seems entirely dependent upon whether or not you have decent teammates or not. Stuck in between Bronze III and Silver I. I'd much rather it be based on personal performance.

For instance, if I win a game with 5 goals, 5 assists, 5 saves, and 5 shots, I get the same as if I won the game with 0 points. Same for losses. If I'm going beast mode with a shit team, or a team where someone quits, I don't think I should fall as much as everyone else.

This would unfortunately discourage teamwork and encourage the ball hogs / chasers even more. If you are unhappy with matchmaking / rankings the only solutions are

1) play super defensively (as most teammates only focus on offense)
2) team up with people you know don't suck
3) "get good" to the point you can carry / overcome crappy teammates
4) play unranked / stop worrying about your rank

It sucks but it is what it is. People in Gold III (and I'd wager Platinum as well) have to deal with the same problem. It might get slightly better the higher you climb but it's always going to be a grind to move higher / maintain rank.

J. Bravo

I just checked my matches played, since I forgot it tracked data like that.

1227 with 50.9% win

I was expecting like half that in matches played.

i'm at 1196 56.3%. 673 wins. 1662 goals, 587 assists, 826 saves. 1.4/.49/.69 per game. 3200 shots on goal lmfao. only 56 aerial goals tho

Unicorn

Yo, y'all know a reason that goalie position should EVER boost at countdown for kickoff? I'm not talking reactionary follow up to the collision, but motherfucking racing the 2 other players that are OBJECTIVELY closer to the ball.

I asked a motherfucker why he left goal to kickoff. "I thought I would hit it."

Bitch, it don't work like that.
zWVbK.gif

v1lla21

Is it still possible to get an invite to the rocketgaf community?
Look for my username and go to my communities. I'll accept when I get home.

Yo, y'all know a reason that goalie position should EVER boost at countdown for kickoff? I'm not talking reactionary follow up to the collision, but motherfucking racing the 2 other players that are OBJECTIVELY closer to the ball.

zWVbK.gif
That's just as bad as the motherfucks who leave goal during kickoff to go get boost when they start as goalie.

Unicorn

Look for my username and go to my communities. I'll accept when I get home.

That's just as bad as the motherfucks who leave goal during kickoff to go get boost when they start as goalie.

Almost. They at least have a plan. B-line mofos are just hoping for a lucky goal or hit.

J. Bravo

zWVbK.gif

like do u mean going for boost or for the ball? because as long as the someone hits the ball the goalie can go for boost.

v1lla21

like do u mean going for boost or for the ball? because as long as the someone hits the ball the goalie can go for boost.
He means the ball.
Idk man, if they person hit the ball already then sure, goalkeeper can go for boost. More often than not, the goalie will take off right away and if there's an unlucky bounce, it's a goal. That shit pisses me off so much.

Can't count the number of times a goal's been scored because the goalie went for boost at kickoff. Even if his or her team hit the ball. You've gotta wait and make sure the ball isn't coming your way first.

So I've never posted in this thread before. Rocket league is really fun and I play with my 2 roommates a bit.

They play waaay more than me though, every day I get home from work and they're sitting there yelling "ooooh nooooo!!!!" Constantly at the top of their lungs for hours every night, even earplugs won't drown it out. Fuck rocket league.

v1lla21

So I've never posted in this thread before. Rocket league is really fun and I play with my 2 roommates a bit.

They play waaay more than me though, every day I get home from work and they're sitting there yelling "ooooh nooooo!!!!" Constantly at the top of their lungs for hours every night, even earplugs won't drown it out. Fuck rocket league.
Don't fight it. Become one with the league.

Unicorn

Bump that doubles match to a standard 3v3 dawg

i feel you. i played a 3v3 game last night and within 30 seconds of the game one of my teammates basically was being such as asshole to me that the 3rd guy quit. I made an admittedly weak attempt to clear a ball from the corner. It was weak, but it wasn't across the middle or anything, the player who received my "pass" didn't even score, he hit the ball back towards the corner, my teammate zooms towards it to clear and completely misses, another player on the other team scores. immediately this jerk puts up a "great pass!" so i responded with "what a save!" because fuck you buddy, we both made mistakes. own it. he proceeds continually respond with "great pass!" the other teammate quits, and of course we lost. between that and playing with two ball-chasers who cannot get out of each other's way, i had a rough afternoon yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom