• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacrifus

Neo Member
Playing with randoms:

lo8H315.gif

Soulflarz

Banned
Playing with randoms:

lo8H315.gif

Nah, playing with randoms is you go up for the shot, miss, and they chased you and you have no defense.
OR they stay back fully and no centers can go in if you don't 2v1 offense.

OR...the worst of them all...the ones who go for it when they clearly won't beat the guy to it, always giving up a free lob.

amnesiac

The snowy setting looks cool but I don't see how playing with a puck is going to be that fun, especially since the your vehicle doesn't slip on the ice.

Excited to try it out whenever it gets put up, though.

AcridMeat

Banned
Last I heard they were tinkering with how slippery they wanted to make it, while leaning towards cosmetic only for the ice.

I just want it out so my friends who stopped playing it regularly will come back. Their hope is it's less aerial focused now.

Actually that makes me wonder, is the puck at least slippery on the ice? Or is it just sliding with the same friction as any other stadium?

Last I heard they were tinkering with how slippery they wanted to make it, while leaning towards cosmetic only for the ice.

I just want it out so my friends who stopped playing it regularly will come back. Their hope is it's less aerial focused now.

Actually that makes me wonder, is the puck at least slippery on the ice? Or is it just sliding with the same friction as any other stadium?

That's what I heard too, and also that they eventually just settled on making it not slip because they couldn't get the slippery aspect "right" enough to be fun.

Hopefully we at least have the option as a mutator or something to try it out ourselves.

Soulflarz

Banned
WELCOME TO ROCKET LEAGUE http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...882/B3CB7493832AE728B7D938EBE3158067DE047259/

Though on a more serious note, I can't see puck being used in any notable fashion, mainly because it has a terrible habit to stick to walls and it's next to impossible to aerial. The issue there being if your aerials are *greatly* restricted, your trickshots are restricted, and therefore harder stuff just doesn't apply nearly as often sadly. The joy of getting a silly reverse aerial or such just isn't there

I did get an upside down epic save into a goal from sliding off the wall, I guess that was one great thing so far :p

Ice hockey really is a ton of fun - it is even more chaotic and random than regular RL, but man... It's just very satisfying, and different enough to feel fresh. Ranked list for Ice Hockey, anyone?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Hockey is great. So many people jumping over the puck out of habit. Nice challenge to stay on ground and block on walls.

The Christmas items are great. Hope they continue these seasonal updates.

Yeah, so hockey is AWESOME. It's super fun, eh! Love the snowy map, eh! Plus it's fantastic for teaching people how to use the walls and encourages passing as you need to go around people vs over / through them. Already rocking my Santa Hat, eh! Christmas came early this year when Rocket League was released :)

p.s. Eh!

I would love to know how in ranked gameplay, two masters, and an expert get paired against 2 semi-pros and a rookie in Bronze 1. Was down 8-0 in 75 seconds.

I would love to know how in ranked gameplay, two masters, and an expert get paired against 2 semi-pros and a rookie in Bronze 1. Was down 8-0 in 75 seconds.

As someone who is nearly master(level 48) and has not been past silver 1 I can tell you that playing a shit ton doesn't make you better. I spend most of my time in bronze because I'm not good enough at defense to keep my team from getting outscored. I can't get over the silver hump. Then I get frustrated and lose 8 matches in a row and dig myself a deeper hole. I know i'm not alone because i'm starting to see a lot more Experts stuck in bronze as well.

hao chi

Because it's based off the ranking system that's used for ranked (bronze, silver, etc), not the other one that is more just based on time played.

It's fine as is. I've played against quite a few awful players who were Experts and Masters. If they're too good they'll move up in the rankings. Well, unless they purposely throw matches to stay in bronze, but in that case they're just miserable trolls.

As someone who is nearly master(level 48) and has not been past silver 1 I can tell you that playing a shit ton doesn't make you better. I spend most of my time in bronze because I'm not good enough at defense to keep my team from getting outscored. I can't get over the silver hump. Then I get frustrated and lose 8 matches in a row and dig myself a deeper hole. I know i'm not alone because i'm starting to see a lot more Experts stuck in bronze as well.

Because it's based off the ranking system that's used for ranked (bronze, silver, etc), not the other one that is more just based on time played.

It's fine as is. I've played against quite a few awful players who were Experts and Masters. If they're too good they'll move up in the rankings. Well, unless they purposely throw matches to stay in bronze, but in that case they're just miserable trolls.

I've played against some Masters that were terrible. But these guys were not terrible, there was no way they should have been Bronze I. I'm thinking they mainly played in unranked then recently switched to ranked. It was three of them, and they had 8 goals in less than 1.5 minutes. Was very frustrating.

Mind you, I'm a crossover from PS4 where I was Silver III, and Gold I in every category. These were some of the best players I've ever came across. Just bought it on PC last week.

Watch Gibbs's videos on YouTube if you aren't already. Biggest takeaway I've learned is GET THE BALL UP IN THE AIR. This means high powerful clears on defense by timing it so you jump into a ball just as it bounces off the pitch. And then on offensive side chipping / lobbing the balls toward then net by driving into them when they are rolling on the ground. Both moves surprise the opponent and force them to turn their backs to the ball and rush / feel pressure to hit it.

And on the chip/lobs you don't have to score on these just get it up high and in the area of the net and watch the other team freak out. People in Bronze are especially terrible at dealing with these. You will get so many goals on these -- straight in or off the wall or rebound if they manage to make a save -- and plenty of assists too.

Dominator

I use to. Now I do it 50-50 since knowing what the ball is doing, if people are primed for hitting it or if it's safe matters. But I can't wrap my head around aiming properly in ball cam, so I have to constantly switch.
Yeah aiming is my thing. If I'm trying ball cam and the ball comes at me, it disorients me so much.

I don't play with ball cam either. I have it on "hold", I press it when I've lost track of the ball. There are shots that would be impossible to do if I was tethered to the ball. I just feel like I have more maneuverability and options available to me.
Yep I feel the same.

Almost, but in some instances it's impossible to orientate yourself if the ball is too high like in
this really lucky pinch pass to myself the other day.

Also bonus totally controlled ceiling arial goal in the same game.
See, I can know where the ball is using the arrow around the car and just playing so much I can generally guess quite accurately when the ball will fall. Even with the circle indicator I get it right probably 90% of the time.

Pretty sure playing with no ball cam 100% of the time is fully detrimental and limiting. At least with ballcam always on you can physically do everything and it makes sense for starting, but fully off just makes chasing a lot of your hits take lots of effort when they shouldn't.
I'm so used to it I don't think it really takes much effort. I think I actually look at the area and circle indicator more than the ball sometimes, but I find it works.

I win more often than not, not to toot my own horn. I only play singles though when I play on my own. I went on a 17 game winning streak the other day it was awesome as hell lol

Played hockey for a few hours tonight. So much fun. Like said above, different enough to feel fresh. Be cool if it was a long term game mode.

Watch Gibbs's videos on YouTube if you aren't already. Biggest takeaway I've learned is GET THE BALL UP IN THE AIR. This means high powerful clears on defense by timing it so you jump into a ball just as it bounces off the pitch. And then on offensive side chipping / lobbing the balls toward then net by driving into them when they are rolling on the ground. Both moves surprise the opponent and force them to turn their backs to the ball and rush / feel pressure to hit it.

And on the chip/lobs you don't have to score on these just get it up high and in the area of the net and watch the other team freak out. People in Bronze are especially terrible at dealing with these. You will get so many goals on these -- straight in or off the wall or rebound if they manage to make a save -- and plenty of assists too.

Thanks. Yeah I watch Gibbs and am definitely making progress this week but one bad day and it's all gone. I gotta know to stop playing ranked after two looses. It usually becomes a downward spiral.

Unrelated by my computer seems to be acting up now. When I play games first the fps tanks then my entire pc starts becoming unresponsive and buzzing. Like a sound loop of the game. worried about what it is.

OK new favorite thing about hockey: when the puck gets stuck to the ceiling! I just had a game where it literally slid upside down from one end of the "rink" to the other. We were all like "Wow!" will it even come down??

Next time I see the puck slide upside down onto the roof I am going all out for that fucker...

Cess007

Ok, as someone who has never in his life played, watched or even cared about Hockey; Snow Day mode is frigging awesome. The were moments i could barely play due me being in fucking tears of laughter.

TheFatMan

Snow Day is killing it. Love that the puck tends to stay on the ground and not bounce as much. Completely changes the game!

Also, every game I play ends up with like 10 goals, so it's levelling me up faster!

Soulflarz

Banned
Snow Day is killing it. Love that the puck tends to stay on the ground and not bounce as much. Completely changes the game!

Also, every game I play ends up with like 10 goals, so it's levelling me up faster!

Well then :X

Everyone I play against is expert so it's like 5 goals a game at most.
I prefer normal by far since aerials keep the complexity fresh while puck is a lot more straightforward it seems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom