• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleinc

Banned
Yo, y'all know a reason that goalie position should EVER boost at countdown for kickoff? I'm not talking reactionary follow up to the collision, but motherfucking racing the 2 other players that are OBJECTIVELY closer to the ball.

I asked a motherfucker why he left goal to kickoff. "I thought I would hit it."

Bitch, it don't work like that.
zWVbK.gif
I always go for the ball and very often hit faster than my snailteam.

jett

D-Member
Well that's a really lucky sequence of events then. I find it impossible too coordinate anything with other people. :p

Got a somewhat decent flying goal

http://gfycat.com/FlatFormalArthropods

I'm getting the hang of it.

And the triple-colored designs are pretty neat, going for a Rodimus Prime kinda thing...except for the mariachi hat.

KgbJKO0.jpg

v1lla21

The mariachi hat is the best hat in any game. Thanks to psyonix I can live the dream and drive a Vicente Fernandez car. All it's missing is a mustache.

Does anyone play 100% no ball cam like me? Just wondering if anyone plays like that, I feel like most don't.

I use to. Now I do it 50-50 since knowing what the ball is doing, if people are primed for hitting it or if it's safe matters. But I can't wrap my head around aiming properly in ball cam, so I have to constantly switch.

jett

D-Member
Does anyone play 100% no ball cam like me? Just wondering if anyone plays like that, I feel like most don't.

I don't play with ball cam either. I have it on "hold", I press it when I've lost track of the ball. There are shots that would be impossible to do if I was tethered to the ball. I just feel like I have more maneuverability and options available to me.

Pinch to center
Pinch to center
Pinch to center
Pinch to center
Pinch to center
Pinch to center
Pinch to center
Pinch to center
Pinch to center

Also play fucking defense

Stike

I also want to have a "permanent" team. I am sick of losing with random incapable team partners. I'll never improve my ranking like this! :(

Playing Europe servers, EU evenings mostly. Please DM.

Pedersen

Almost, but in some instances it's impossible to orientate yourself if the ball is too high like in
this really lucky pinch pass to myself the other day.

Also bonus totally controlled ceiling arial goal in the same game.

hydruxo

I used to, but eventually I started using ball cam more to find the ball at certain times. I'd say for me it's probably a 70-30 split. More no ball cam than anything because I find it easier to hit the ball when not in ball cam.

Soulflarz

Banned
oh yeah
forgot to post my gif here
eLKUVkO.gif

These are getting a ton easier to take, the main things I can't always do are straight up aerials to consistently block.

Pretty sure playing with no ball cam 100% of the time is fully detrimental and limiting. At least with ballcam always on you can physically do everything and it makes sense for starting, but fully off just makes chasing a lot of your hits take lots of effort when they shouldn't.

oh yeah
forgot to post my gif here
eLKUVkO.gif

These are getting a ton easier to take, the main things I can't always do are straight up aerials to consistently block.

Pretty sure playing with no ball cam 100% of the time is fully detrimental and limiting. At least with ballcam always on you can physically do everything and it makes sense for starting, but fully off just makes chasing a lot of your hits take lots of effort when they shouldn't.

I play no ball cam because it makes it easier to boost the direction I want. Oftentimes it's hard for me to boost where I wanna go when the camera isn't facing straight forward.

Soulflarz

Banned
I play no ball cam because it makes it easier to boost the direction I want. Oftentimes it's hard for me to boost where I wanna go when the camera isn't facing straight forward.

Huh
Don't move directions and you go forward
Worst case you aren't straight but you're going for an optimal cut in angle, which can make the difference between getting scored on and a block that simply can't be done via no ball cam going straight.

Thanks. I'm quite excited to post it later in the month. I'm only around silver 1 but I just threw everything in from cool goals to daft own goals to clutch saves and assists. Hopefully you'll all find it entertaining.

ps3ud0

Noob question - how did you guys get more confident with aerials? Im ok with defensive ones because you just have to get your car in the way, with passes/shots I seem to always predict the ball flight wrong so I come in way too high and dont cover enough to distance towards the ball so even if I do it its not exactly a powerful shot.

I know Im just missing something pretty fundamental.

ps3ud0 8)

Soulflarz

Banned
Noob question - how did you guys get more confident with aerials? Im ok with defensive ones because you just have to get your car in the way, with passes/shots I seem to always predict the ball flight wrong so I come in way too high and dont cover enough to distance towards the ball so even if I do it its not exactly a powerful shot.

ps3ud0 8)

Go into the mid training for aerials. Screw around 2 hours, you should be able to do a decent bit of those by then

Mess around losing in ranked and such for 10ish hours to hone that
Then watch pros do stuff and learn to be a ridiculous guy.

ps3ud0

Go into the mid training for aerials. Screw around 2 hours, you should be able to do a decent bit of those by then

Mess around losing in ranked and such for 10ish hours to hone that
Then watch pros do stuff and learn to be a ridiculous guy.
Cheers I must admit I havent spent that much time on aerial training once I had the idea of how to do it, gonna try and dedicate some time later. Its just getting the ability to attack the ball and not just meet it...

Also do most people only use the angle of aerial rather than a flip to hit the ball? I do watch a fair few videos and my aerial play is - erm - kinda nothing like what I watch (I aim my car up when hitting an aerial rather than down and hitting the ball with my bonnet.) As I said I think Im just doing it wrong :p

ps3ud0 8)

Soulflarz

Banned
Cheers I must admit I havent spent that much time on aerial training once I had the idea of how to do it, gonna try and dedicate some time later. Its just getting the ability to attack the ball and not just meet it...

Also do most people only use the angle of aerial rather than a flip to hit the ball? I do watch a fair few videos and my aerial play is - erm - kinda nothing like what I watch (I aim my car up when hitting an aerial rather than down and hitting the ball with my bonnet.) As I said I think Im just doing it wrong :p

ps3ud0 8)

It depends.
If your flip gets it there faster, do it. If you know they cant hit it at a certain angle, why flip.

But do take the time to learn aerials. I can do some kind of silly ones, but I know people with the same amount of time as me who can't do any, and it's why I constantly tell people learn aerials right after you've mastered ground shots.

Edit: Flips can mess up an easy angle. Learn how to hit it in general at a spot. If you want more speed, the easiest method a lot of the time can just be to tilt down as you hit it with the nose of your car, but don't even bother with that until you learn aerials.
As for doing them on short notice or with absurd correction in the air, it takes a lot of practice.

hao chi

ps3ud0 8)

You'll want to hit the ball with the front of your car instead of the belly of the car if you want to get a more powerful shot.

Here's one of my aerial goals that I was only able to get at the distance I did because I hit the ball with the front of my car:

https://youtu.be/P_UoM1zfzkg?t=105

Getting confident with them just comes from a lot of practice (and missing). I still miss my fair share, but generally I feel pretty good about my chances of at least hitting the ball if I go for an aerial.

Soulflarz

Banned
You'll want to hit the ball with the front of your car instead of the belly of the car if you want to get a more powerful shot.

Here's one of my aerial goals that I was only able to get at the distance I did because I hit the ball with the front of my car:

https://youtu.be/P_UoM1zfzkg?t=105

Getting confident with them just comes from a lot of practice (and missing). I still miss my fair share, but generally I feel pretty good about my chances of at least hitting the ball if I go for an aerial.

Could've actually hit that flat if you changed your angle/went lower/flipped

I wouldn't suggest even trying non belly aerials until you can consistently hit them with it, since belly of the car ones are a lot wider spots to hit, much better to practice with.

hao chi

Could've actually hit that flat if you changed your angle/went lower/flipped

I wouldn't suggest even trying non belly aerials until you can consistently hit them with it, since belly of the car ones are a lot wider spots to hit, much better to practice with.

I don't think so. I've hit a lot of airborne balls with the belly of my car, and they never get that kind of acceleration compared to the relatively low speed I was going at when I hit the ball. I'm also pretty sure doing a flip wasn't an option at that point due to how long I was in the air, but it might have been close.

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't think so. I've hit a lot of airborne balls with the belly of my car, and they never get that kind of acceleration compared to the relatively low speed I was going at when I hit the ball. I'm also pretty sure doing a flip wasn't an option at that point due to how long I was in the air, but it might have been close.

Yeah, you could flip there.

Not really relevant though, was moreso saying learning how to hit with the nose shouldnt be immediate.

hao chi

Yeah, you could flip there.

Not really relevant though, was moreso saying learning how to hit with the nose shouldnt be immediate.

By my count and from looking at the clock, it looks like it was over 1.5 seconds of airtime to me when I was in position to hit be ball.

And I wasn't telling him how he should practice, I was just answering his question.

ps3ud0

Cheers for the advice guys, I think Ill hit the training hard and hope it clicks (I only play for fun but I do play a lot). It definitely feels like its a high risk:low percentage move from me so perhaps not expecting success/accuracy is probably a sensible approach and work out what Im doing when it does work. People/opponents at times make it look so easy...

ps3ud0 8)

AcridMeat

Banned
Don't be afraid to go for them and miss in games, that's the only way you're really going to get better at them. That's how I started and now I'm very consistent on contact, getting better on converting aerials too. At the very least, I've gotten to the point where I can direct shots at the goal consistently.

hao chi

It was really amusing during the first beta when everyone learned about flying and were attempting aerials all the time. Nobody could hit anything out of the air, but damn it we kept trying.

Cheers for the advice guys, I think Ill hit the training hard and hope it clicks (I only play for fun but I do play a lot). It definitely feels like its a high risk:low percentage move from me so perhaps not expecting success/accuracy is probably a sensible approach and work out what Im doing when it does work. People/opponents at times make it look so easy...

ps3ud0 8)

I can't guarantee you will make it look easy but you WILL get better and for frame of reference when this game came first came out we were all in awe of people who could just hit the ball on the ground (there was a lot of flopping and missing!) The level of play has gone up so much in just 5 months it can be intimidating but most people who are really good have been playing all that time and the people who are unbelievable more likely than not have been playing years (SARPBC). And even those people still miss on occasion :)

Good luck!

AcridMeat

Banned
It was really amusing during the first beta when everyone learned about flying and were attempting aerials all the time. Nobody could hit anything out of the air, but damn it we kept trying.
It was magical, so much laughter. Plus we encouraged each other to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom