• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bravo

Don't fuck around underneath the ball or on the corner with a teammate and then get mad even I go for it late because you changed your mind and left the ball right in front of our net. People stand still way too much in this game. It's crazy annoying

I didn't know Psynet was PS4 (cross-platform).

they aren't, they're PC players :)

Well, in French, it is translated to "En défense !", which could be both "I go defending" and "All go defending". But it is kind of imperative, so I took it as "All go defending fast".

ahh, in english it is not all that ambiguous. centering = i'm centering the ball, defending = i'm defending, etc. there probably should be a distinction of i'm defending vs. you should defend ala "take the shot!" vs. "I got it!"

the other issue is that most people use "defending" to mean, "i'm going to stay in goal for this face-off." or "i'm in goal right now, so you can be more aggressive" not necessarily "I'm going to sit in goal perpetually." i just assume that most people that are at veteran or above would have the awareness to run at least some type of loose rotation and would rotate back to goal as needed.

J. Bravo

sometimes i say centering if a teammate has the ball and i want them to know im in the middle. or great pass.

anyways, i hit lvl 50 today. i think im' pretty above average at rocket league. so why can't i get out of gold 1 in solo standard lmao. i think i might only play late at night from now on when the good ppl are on.

Pepiope

sometimes i say centering if a teammate has the ball and i want them to know im in the middle. or great pass.

anyways, i hit lvl 50 today. i think im' pretty above average at rocket league. so why can't i get out of gold 1 in solo standard lmao. i think i might only play late at night from now on when the good ppl are on.
I think your MMR is good enough where you will get no so good teammates, and in 3s that sucks. The only time I get great teammates is while playing streamers/really good players.

Noaloha

I just got real confused playing with an AI-avatared Beast who was chatting happily with the rest of the lobby. Took me a(n embarrassing) while to realise what was going on.

Unicorn

Finally made it to Silver, then proceeded to lose 2 games. I'm now dangerously close to losing it. never playing Solo 3v3 again.

Nete

Season 2 details.

RIP current divisions and rank points, hello divisions by skill rating.

Season 2's Fresh Approach

The next patch (scheduled for February), will bring an end to the first season of competitive Rocket League! We’ve been listening to all of your awesome feedback regarding Season 1 and incorporating a TON of improvements for Season 2 and beyond.

The aim of Season 2 is to de-emphasize the importance of single wins or losses and put the focus where it belongs -- consistently playing well and improving your game over time (not stressing over individual losses). Now, let's get into it!

What Has Changed in Season 2?

-To start, we've renamed ranked play "Competitive Matchmaking," which will be tagged in the Playlists menu to differentiate them from casual matchmaking.

-In addition to the fresh playlists tags, we're also removing Rank Points for Season 2. In the new season, all Divisions are based on your Skill Rating to remove the confusion of two points systems.

-We have replaced the ten Season 1 Divisions (Bronze I/II/III, Silver I/II/III, Gold I/II/III, and Platinum) with 12 new ones, especially tailored to Rocket League.

-The new divisions range from Prospect I at the bottom to Champion at the top.

Here’s a little breakdown of Season 2's titles:

NjhzeJZ.jpg

Will My Rank Reset?

-When starting Season 2, all players must play ten placement matches to determine their Skill Division. Skill data will also remain from Season 1, so existing players don't have to start over. Your final division placement will be heavily influenced by your Season 1 Skill Rating.

-Skill Divisions will be visible on the end-game scoreboard, so you can see what division your teammates and opponents were in. However, you will no longer see a numeric representation of your skill or rank, just your current division icon and name.

-Promotion and Demotion between divisions works differently than before. You will be promoted into a division after your skill has risen consistently to the next division up. Once promoted, you won’t risk immediate demotion for losing a game or two.
Check out this image of the new end-game scoreboard:

AGP11iZ.png

What Else Should We Know About Season 2?

-There is no longer a hard cap on the number of players in the top division. This means that if you meet the skill requirements for the top division you will be placed accordingly, regardless of the number of players who meet that rating.

-Season 2 will retain the Top 100 with leaderboards based on Skill Rating, similar to how the Preseason worked. Players in the Top 100 of each skill division will appear on leaderboards like in previous seasons.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/252950/announcements/detail/92689497762318623

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I don't know how I feel about this. Without a number to aim for or knowing how far away I am from getting to the next rank I don't know how this will affect my motivation. We'll see.

AcridMeat

Banned
Season 2 details.

RIP current divisions and rank points, hello divisions by skill rating.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/252950/announcements/detail/92689497762318623
This sounds great, but I hope they aren't just hiding the number from people now so they can't get pissed over the amount lost/won.

I'll give ranked queue more of a shot just to see if it seems like the rise is possible or not. Sounds like gold 3 would be around challenger elite so that's what I'm aiming for.

This sounds great, but I hope they aren't just hiding the number from people now so they can't get pissed over the amount lost/won.

I'll give ranked queue more of a shot just to see if it seems like the rise is possible or not. Sounds like gold 3 would be around challenger elite so that's what I'm aiming for.

It's a fair point, that isn't the intent though (honestly). Reposting a blurb I put on reddit:

Our goal with competitive matchmaking is to provide a way to practice and improve against other players near your skill level. We don't think the emphasis on point gain and losses from Season 1 meshed well with Rocket League's quick matches and "one more game" mentality. After all, tournaments are almost exclusively best of 3 or 5 series, but our rank points system created a lot of stress and frustration over losing a single match.

Ultimately we feel that true rankings need to come from organized tournament play and that placing too much emphasis on matchmaking rankings is something we need to move away from focusing on. We're still providing leaderboards if it's something you're into. But we'd rather make the competitive queue a more comfortable place to play tactically and get better, and potentially provide an alternative in-game ranking system in the future based on head-to-head tournament matches.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
If it's not based on wins/losses anymore, how exactly are they measuring your skill level? The average points you get in a game relative to the others in your games?

I don't really understand the difference then other than the number not being visibly there anymore.

The old system used two numbers:
RP (Rank Points): Your visible number you saw on the matchmaking panel / leaderboards
MMR (Skill Rating): Your backend skill rating that determined matchmaking

RP was introduced for progression and seasonal reset reasons (your skill persists, but each season your RP would reset and you'd have to get back to the top div again, like you see in games like Hearthstone). You could be in Silver II rank (based on RP) but your skill rating might actually be more like a Gold player, because RP could only progress so quickly.

After a season of it we felt the distinction was confusing and didn't offer enough benefit for the downsides.

So now all there is is skill rating, which determines your division and who you play against. You see your div and who you were matched versus (after the game), but there's no points display to fixate on.

AcridMeat

Banned
It's a fair point, that isn't the intent though (honestly). Reposting a blurb I put on reddit:

Our goal with competitive matchmaking is to provide a way to practice and improve against other players near your skill level. We don't think the emphasis on point gain and losses from Season 1 meshed well with Rocket League's quick matches and "one more game" mentality. After all, tournaments are almost exclusively best of 3 or 5 series, but our rank points system created a lot of stress and frustration over losing a single match.

Ultimately we feel that true rankings need to come from organized tournament play and that placing too much emphasis on matchmaking rankings is something we need to move away from focusing on. We're still providing leaderboards if it's something you're into. But we'd rather make the competitive queue a more comfortable place to play tactically and get better, and potentially provide an alternative in-game ranking system in the future based on head-to-head tournament matches.
Sounds good, my post was admittedly on the devil's advocate/cynical end. Thanks for clarifying, look forward to it.

Any word on the next DLC?

Hasney

RP (Rank Points): Your visible number you saw on the matchmaking panel / leaderboards

RP was introduced for progression and seasonal reset reasons (your skill persists, but each season your RP would reset and you'd have to get back to the top div again, like you see in games like Hearthstone). You could be in Silver II rank (based on RP) but your skill rating might actually be more like a Gold player, because RP could only progress so quickly.

After a season of it we felt the distinction was confusing and didn't offer enough benefit for the downsides.

So now all there is is skill rating, which determines your division and who you play against. You see your div and who you were matched versus (after the game), but there's no points display to fixate on.

Ohhhh, so is that why that even when I was Bronze on PC, I ended up quite often going against people who claimed to be in gold despite matchmaking being instant? Because I was late to the PC version, my performance and straight wins out me at a higher level on the back end even though it wasn't visible?

I thought it was just slightly broken!

Soulflarz

Banned
Ohhhh, so is that why that even when I was Bronze on PC, I ended up quite often going against people who claimed to be in gold despite matchmaking being instant? Because I was late to the PC version, my performance and straight wins out me at a higher level on the back end even though it wasn't visible?

I thought it was just slightly broken!

yes
we are 2good
:VV

jotun?

Well there has to be at least some difference if 1-2 losses don't demote you immediately following a promotion

I suppose the simplest implementation would just be to add hysteresis. Something like in order to rank up to the 700-800 rank, you have to get above 720, and you won't fall back down to the 600s unless you drop below 680

Dominator

I like the new way, sounds good. But I've always wondered how the game calculated how many points I either lost or gained based on my wins or losses. Is it just a random numerator or was there an algorithm in the back-end that gave you more points if that opponent had more MMR than you?

Just curious, me and my friends were always wondering how after a match. I'm assuming it was all based on the MMR points but clarification can't hurt. Sorry if you've answered previously in here.

I like the new way, sounds good. But I've always wondered how the game calculated how many points I either lost or gained based on my wins or losses. Is it just a random numerator or was there an algorithm in the back-end that gave you more points if that appointment had more MMR than you?

Just curious, me and my friends were always wondering how after a match. I'm assuming it was all based on the MMR points but clarification can't hurt. Sorry if you've answered previously in here.

If you're curious, you can look at how numbers interact using MS's TrueSkill calculator. We do not use TrueSkill, but the paper we based our algorithm on uses similar ideas, like most modern skill systems. This won't align perfectly with what you've seen in Season 1 because we added the RP layer on top which is more trouble explaining than it's worth, but the below can sort of show you how the backend skill updates work (which will be how you're ranked in Season 2).

http://boson.research.microsoft.com/trueskill/rankcalculator.aspx

"Mu" is your skill value, "Sigma" is how certain the system is about your skill value, and MMR is usually calculated as Mu - Sigma*3, which is three standard deviations basically - it's a conservative estimate of how good you are. As you play more games, your "sigma" lowers as the system becomes more confident about how skilled you are.

Converting our numbers into the scale TrueSkill uses, their default Mu of 25 is roughly a mid-high Silver tier player. Sigma of 8.333 is the default value, so most players have a lower one. You can put in "2.5" as the minimum we allow. So if you set every player to Mu 25, Sigma 2.5, you can see how a completely even match affects everyone's skills. Raising or lowering Mu values simulates better or worse players and how that affects the match.

More detail than you probably wanted, but as a general rule - you get more points the more challenging the win was, either because the other team was ranked higher than you, or because you had lower ranked teammates. You win less points for beating opponents less skilled than you or your team average.

Hasney

One question with the skill based rank, is it across all modes? For instance, could someone tank at 1v1 to get better matches on 3v3? I wouldn't, because I like good matches, but is the skill per playlist or overall?

Not sure how the old skill worked.

Soulflarz

Banned
One question with the skill based rank, is it across all modes? For instance, could someone tank at 1v1 to get better matches on 3v3? I wouldn't, because I like good matches, but is the skill per playlist or overall?

if it's trueskillish, by the playlist
I...think

Pepiope

It's by playlist I believe. When I first starting playing 1v1, I was paired up with fairly new players consistently until I had 10 or so under my belt, then....I started losing :(

Dominator

If you're curious, you can look at how numbers interact using MS's TrueSkill calculator. We do not use TrueSkill, but the paper we based our algorithm on uses similar ideas, like most modern skill systems. This won't align perfectly with what you've seen in Season 1 because we added the RP layer on top which is more trouble explaining than it's worth, but the below can sort of show you how the backend skill updates work (which will be how you're ranked in Season 2).

http://boson.research.microsoft.com/trueskill/rankcalculator.aspx

"Mu" is your skill value, "Sigma" is how certain the system is about your skill value, and MMR is usually calculated as Mu - Sigma*3, which is three standard deviations basically - it's a conservative estimate of how good you are. As you play more games, your "sigma" lowers as the system becomes more confident about how skilled you are.

Converting our numbers into the scale TrueSkill uses, their default Mu of 25 is roughly a mid-high Silver tier player. Sigma of 8.333 is the default value, so most players have a lower one. You can put in "2.5" as the minimum we allow. So if you set every player to Mu 25, Sigma 2.5, you can see how a completely even match affects everyone's skills. Raising or lowering Mu values simulates better or worse players and how that affects the match.

More detail than you probably wanted, but as a general rule - you get more points the more challenging the win was, either because the other team was ranked higher than you, or because you had lower ranked teammates. You win less points for beating opponents less skilled than you or your team average.
Incredibly insightful, thanks for taking the time to answer. I'm always interested in how things like that get calculated.

... and potentially provide an alternative in-game ranking system in the future based on head-to-head tournament matches.
Do you mean external tournaments or in-game ones? Would love to see an in-game tournament playlist where you can queue up for three or four rounds--perhaps best of three series--for tournament play. The reward could be a temporary 24-hour trophy car-topper. Like when you win an online tournament in Hot Shots Golf.

Also, on reddit, Josh mentioned that he'd like to see stats available by playlist but it didn't make it this update. Would love to see this too, but it would stink to have to wait several months for the next season to end. Could something like more stats come in a smaller update?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Do you mean external tournaments or in-game ones? Would love to see an in-game tournament playlist where you can queue up for three or four rounds--perhaps best of three series--for tournament play. The reward could be a temporary 24-hour trophy car-topper. Like when you win an online tournament in Hot Shots Golf.

Also, on reddit, Josh mentioned that he'd like to see stats available by playlist but it didn't make it this update. Would love to see this too, but it would stink to have to wait several months for the next season to end. Could something like more stats come in a smaller update?
Yeah I would really like a tournament playlist to be a thing.

GeeTeeCee

I must have done something to upset Psyonix, because I cannot remember the last time I got matched up with a competent set of teammates. I'm scraping my way through veteran, yet some of the expert and master level players rank amongst the worst I've ever seen.

Unicorn

I must have done something to upset Psyonix, because I cannot remember the last time I got matched up with a competent set of teammates. I'm scraping my way through veteran, yet some of the expert and master level players rank amongst the worst I've ever seen.
We all have off days! Also, people that suck continue to play. It's like the education system. Fuck around long enough and you'll just get pushed forward regardless.

Pepiope

^Win loss doesn't mean a thing because if you're winning 80% trueskill isn't working.
Yeah I know it won't maen anything towards my ranking, but I just got curious about my stats. The game probably wants every player to be as close to 50% as possible.

I'm ready for Season 2 though. Playing ranked without worrying about the points....That's gonna feel so gooooood.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah I know it won't maen anything towards my ranking, but I just got curious about my stats. The game probably wants every player to be as close to 50% as possible.

I'm ready for Season 2 though. Playing ranked without worrying about the points....That's gonna feel so gooooood.

With any luck it does....

which makes ranking up hell on earth once you get "locked" in a skill level :<

I remember switching to PC, winning 18 in a row, then suddenly being stuck winning about 2/3rds until it declined to close to half.

Lunar FC

why is everyone so mean in this game

Any game where you can singlehandedly lose a game for your team is often going to be full of hate. But, I've actually been having some pretty good matches the last couple of days with some cool guys, so that's been refreshing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom